Anime or Manga (Personal Preference)...?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:12 am

Filler decides it. Whatever slight advantages the anime had by way of motion and sound are simply drowned in the explosive diarrhea of filler.

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:01 am

I like the manga more, hands-down! I like that the art is better and more consistent as well as the absence of filler. Additionally, The translation is better in the manga. I like to read the Spanish version which is pretty much spot on.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:34 am

I prefer the manga to the anime for reasons aforementioned. Better pacing, superb artwork, accurate translation...

There are some bits I think the anime did better. For example, I liked the fact that Base Vegetto actually got to fight Super Gohan Boo rather than transforming almost immediately in the manga.
Last edited by Piccolo Daimao on Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

xzero
Regular

Post by xzero » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:41 am

I'm currently reading the manga for the first time courtesy of the Viz Big editions that I'm picking up for about $13 each. So far, I like the manga better overall due primarily to its pacing. The downside is the censoring. The dub was censored (reworded, actually, but except for the redub of seasons 1 and 2 of Z, it had the effect of censorship by and large anyway), but the subs were basically perfect thanks to Daimao. I recognize that Viz is trying to market to a younger group, but I don't see much of a need for all of the censoring. At least let a "damn" or "hell" in there every now and then. On a similar note, the censorship of Popo's lips is stupid.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:51 am

xzero wrote:On a similar note, the censorship of Popo's lips is stupid.
The reason for Mr. Popo's censorship is if they left it as it was, Viz would get complaints accusing them of distributing racist content. I disagree with the censorship also, but I tend to just ignore it nowadays.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

xzero
Regular

Post by xzero » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:54 am

Piccolo Daimao wrote:
xzero wrote:On a similar note, the censorship of Popo's lips is stupid.
The reason for Mr. Popo's censorship is if they left it as it was, Viz would get complaints accusing them of distributing racist content. I disagree with the censorship also, but I tend to just ignore it nowadays.
I know why, and I can ignore it. I just feel that (a) it's stupid to cater to whiners who think everything needs to be as inoffensive as possible, and (b) last I checked, the First Amendment says that, with the exception of things called 'time, place, and manner' restrictions, you can say anything you want and publish anything you want, and Popo does NOT fit into one of the proscribed categories of speech. Oh well. We wouldn't want to offend people, I guess :roll:

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:57 pm

I like the manga better. As most people have said there is better pacing and there's rarely any "off days" art wise. Good filler is far and few between especially when it comes to Z.

However Kai is kind of making the anime 10x more watchable to newcomers who don't have the patience to sit through the original snail paced anime.I'll wait until Kai finishes up to decide if I like it more then the manga.
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:59 pm

<nerd>

Just tossing it out there, but I love reading the manga while playing Kikuchi's music in the background... 8)

</nerd>
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Zenkai
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zenkai » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:09 pm

I prefer the anime. I would rather watch something than read something. I also like a lot of the filler.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:39 pm

To me, the manga is on top. The way Akira Toriyama draws that series is just magnificent all the time, being able to really set the mood. Just the way he draws can make a character classier for a specific moment - like Freezer's first appearance in his final form, on that full page, you can tell "man, this is gonna be a massacre". Same goes for some moments Goku has! The art is consistent and really inspire you the emotion of the moment!
Also, the pace goes faster and the way things are shown seems more mature than in the anime!

Just second to that is Kai, which is a really cool adaptation of the manga. It is not a carbon copy, but an adaptation, being faithful while constantly retaining differences in the way things are done (Vegeta goes sleeping in the Freezer's ship instead of outside, etc...) and some little extra scenes (not long fillers, so it's cool). So it has that perfect balance between faithfulness and initiative, which makes it a cool adaptation, very interesting to watch (maybe less for those who saw DBZ since they already know about the new way things are placed/set/shown). If most scenes will never reach the stylish style of the manga, others are somewhat magnified on an emotional level, both due to the new music and the way things are presented (Polunga disappearing in a spectacular way, Freezer's rage showing up and making everything shake while the narrator announces the biggest battle/threat ever on a pacy "danger" music, the moment when they find the Saiyans' victims with Over The Star playing, the redrawn arrival of the Ginyu Commando with their theme song...).

So nothing can compare with the manga and its constantly stylish art and unbeatable pace, not only in terms of plot but in terms of moves during battle, always incredibly dynamic. But Kai is not too far behind, coming right in second, qualifying as the best and most interesting adaptation with its own advantages over the manga.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:20 pm

xzero wrote:last I checked, the First Amendment says that, with the exception of things called 'time, place, and manner' restrictions, you can say anything you want and publish anything you want,
The First Amendment only applies to the United States Congress passing laws restricting speech. The Fourteenth Amendment extends that to prevent the States from restricting speech also.

Unless Viz's censorship of Popo's lips comes from a law passed by the US Congress or one of the State Congresses, the First Amendment does not apply.

TheLiberator

Post by TheLiberator » Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:06 pm

I actually like the anime better. I prefer watching an action story in motion rather than a book. And the music really sets the mood. I do have to admit the manga is more consistent in art and has better pacing. However, I'm a fast reader, so I go through the manga pretty quickly. I think I read the first volume of DBZ in about a half-hour. Because of this, it kinda ruins it for me. It simply shouldn't be that fast an experience. And when I try to slow down, I get tired of it.

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:23 pm

Well, for physical reasons I have to go with the anime, though I'm pondering what would be different were the manga accessible for me.
On the one hand, I miss a lot of stuff in the anime (Yay Manga Review of Awesomeness~!), but on the other hand... if I could read the manga, I'd probably miss far less.
The manga does seem to add a lot, simply by virtue of keeping in things that disappeared in the dubbing process... but again, if I could read the manga, I could read subtitles. Gah.

I think I'm going to go with the anime, 'cause I like the music and some of the voices. And am not completely ignorant of Japanese.

(... so... noone would be interested in funding a Touch the Stars-style manga release, by any chance? :P :) )
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:47 pm

VegettoEX wrote:<nerd>

Just tossing it out there, but I love reading the manga while playing Kikuchi's music in the background... 8)

</nerd>
That is the greatest idea I've never thought of. You've inspired me good sir.

IncompetentOverlord
Beyond Newbie

Post by IncompetentOverlord » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:54 pm

Duo wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:<nerd>

</nerd>
That is the greatest idea I've never thought of. You've inspired me good sir.

Indeed, that is a good idea. I have oftentimes read the manga with the Trans-Siberian orchestra playing in the background, but you are a genius. Now to pick the track.....
Stuff I Know About: Hellsing, Detective Conan, Macross, GaoGaiGar, Cowboy Bebop, Black Lagoon, Kaiji, Hetalia, Fullmetal Alchemist, Captain Harlock, Digimon, Berserk, Dragon Ball, One Piece, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Yu Yu Hakusho, Cyborg 009, Lupin III, Ultimate Muscle/Kinnikuman, Discworld, Avatar: The Last Airbender, TMNT, Futurama, Invader Zim, South Park, Sandman, Marvel, DC, Scott Pilgrim, Star Wars, Godzilla, Doctor Who, Super Sentai, Kamen Rider, Kingdom Hearts, and Sonic the Hedgehog