Dragonball and your social circle

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SuperSaiyan3Goku
Advanced Regular
Location: In the middle of nowhere, across from Planet Vegeta

Post by SuperSaiyan3Goku » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:13 am

The only "social circle" I'm in is the Internet. That's where I spend most of my time, this is obviously where I spend most of my Dragonball time.

Back in Grade School, when I got my first DBZ Manga volume (1 is a great way to start collecting DBZ Manga) and I remember one of my friends kinda scoffing about it. Like, "He likes a kid show, hehehe" He was still one of my friends in school. (Keep in mind, this was 7-or-so years ago)

I also had a friend who actually liked it. I don't know if he still does, or if he moved on. Haven't seen him since, oh God, must of been 2004-05 since I last saw him.
Next quest: Start collecting Dragon Ball Super Blu-Rays whenever season sets get released. Also the Super Manga!

Fan of Dragon Ball Z and various other Anime since '98! ^^

List of Anime I own or have watched - http://myanimelist.net/animelist/SSJ3Goku

Booney
Beyond Newbie

Post by Booney » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:11 am

My social circle is ok with my fandom towards the show.

All of my friends liked it when they were kids, but once it lost popularity most of them moved on.
On of them even gave me his trading cards back then!

But when they are at my place we sometimes end up playing some DBZ games, and I always have to explain to them who the movie characters are.
They also like to go through my manga collection since they've never seen anything Dragonball (only Z and GT)

So yeah they're more the nostalgic fans with an interest to the show to some extent.

My family doesn't care much about it.
My mom still remembers some of the main characters.
And what might be interesting is that she's always been a fan of Roshi :P

Other than that my family remembers Dragonball as a bunch of characters taking a hard dump for half an hour.
[url=http://superbooney.deviantart.com/]My DeviantART[/url]

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:12 pm

My family are pretty much OK with me liking Dragon Ball. Whenever I want to order DB manga, my mum occasionally wonders why I keep on buying them, since I have so many. I can see why she thinks that, since I already know the story.

Anyway, when I got my PSP (which is sadly dead now :( ) and bought my first game, DBZ: Shin Budokai, my older brother used to play on it for a while before he got bored of it. His favourite character to play as was Vegeta. Sometimes, when we're chatting, "Hey, remember when you used to play Shin Budokai?", but he always denies that he did, as if he's embarrassed or something. Probably because he was 22 or 23 at the time. Still, I intend to be a Dragon Ball fan well into old age!

For my 9th (or was it 10th?) birthday, my sister bought me a Dragon Ball Z shirt. She doesn't have interest in DB, but she still accepts mine. She even played Budokai 3 with me once.

My friends accept my interest in Dragon Ball. I used to bring in my DBZ manga on the bus to school and my friend would read it with me. We only read the Majin Boo portion of the manga, and now his favourite character is Fat Boo. He doesn't like Super Boo, though. We made a DBZ forum together, but that's dead now since we couldn't get enough members (and I wasn't logging on nearly enough as I should have...the shame...)
Some other kids at my school make fun of me for liking "a kid's show". I just ignore it. I have no time for people who laugh at others for what they like.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

obiwan23s
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by obiwan23s » Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:18 pm

A lot of my friends know about DBZ and most of them have even watched the whole show, although dubbed. Still play the video games with one of my best friends and keep him updated on what's going on with Kai, but that's about it these days.

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:03 pm

My friends all like Dragonball in some small shape or form. I have a few friends who watch the show on a regular basis with their DVD collections, while I have others who just watch a few episodes for nostalgia purposes. My girlfriend loves Dragonball and will watch episodes with me(though she gets bored when I hang on this site to long :lol: ), she also made a Dragonball cake for my birthday. All of my friends watch Funimation's version of the show and are only really familiar with that version(outside of my girlfriend I think I'm the only one that's watched the original with the DVD releases).

As for my family, I've been watching the show for more then ten years now and my mom still has no idea what the show is, she recognizes the name but that's about it. My brother knows about the show, he has seen a few episodes but he's not really into it.
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?

saiyanprincess
Regular

Post by saiyanprincess » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:28 pm

A couple of my friends are familiar with dragonball, and are anime freaks like myself. :P

Hayley is one of my best friends whom I went to high school and college with, and (I just went shopping with today! - We were going to see Avatar Don't even ask why we didn't!! The roads got very very icy and were too bad to drive to the cinema :cry: )
Hayley is an anime nut, and is just obsessed to the point of insanity with Gohan.

Stacey is my other anime-bud and also my work collaegue. We reguarly have anime days when we're not working, or catch a movie in the evenings.

Not all my friends appreciate my obsession with dragonball mind :cry: It's kind of sad, but I guess their loss. I won't be sitting and watching the football over the weekend, when they likely will be.

On a side note: Hoping to go to the next London Expo anime convention! Maybe I will meet some hot anime-loving dragonball obsessed guy! :P
[b]"Ok, use your instincts Kakarott. Right or Left? (Hmmm... I'd have to say... left.) Good. Then I'm going right!" (Vegeta to Goku as they try to find their way to free the others inside Buu - Episode: The Innards of Buu)[/b]

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:05 pm

Sadly nobody I know in a 50 mile radius of me likes Dragonball. :(

FuniYamcha
Beyond Newbie

Post by FuniYamcha » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:13 pm

A couple of my friends enjoy anime and like DragonBall as well, so we've watched it before. The others don't care for anime at all, but a couple watched DBZ as kids and know things like "Over 9000" but I don't talk about it with them past that. I'd say I'm lucky that a few of them like anime as much as I do, but part of being friends is having similar interests, so it's not really surprising.
Not a problem.

mattymoron
Beyond Newbie

Post by mattymoron » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:05 pm

I have one friend who likes it, but only watches the dub purely because he doesn't feel like reading subtitles. He's aware that the japanese version is superior, but he's too much of a casual viewer to worry about it.

I also have a lot of friends who will nostalgia with me and watch it sometimes.

I have one friend named Alex who'll straight up watch the subs with me. He's a cool guy, and we've both been into Dragonball since we were in lke Kindergarten.

My mom just doesn't get why I like it so much, but she doesn't have a problem with it.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:17 pm

Roommate is a lightweight Japanese version fan.

Good friend is pure dubbie.

Couple others I made read through the Manga and they loved it, but didn't pursue it any further besides watching one of the movies with me occasionally.

Dragonball isn't really a part of my social life.

Velasa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Velasa » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:35 pm

Family-wise my brothers and I all watched it together when it was on tv. They don't have any further interest in or connection to it but I can talk to them about it at times. Older brother is more interested in other kinds of anime, but keeps up with the industry as a whole so he actually knew about the American Dragonbox before I did and was the one to tell me about it. Similar story with my younger brother, though we'll talk about it more simply because we love talking about anime.

My dad used to watch the show when it was on tv and ask me questions about what was going on in the Freezer era, but it dropped off and I think he just sees it as another cartoon we watched when we were younger. My mom basically knows it's that show I like with the green guy ^^;

In terms of a social circle, I used to be a part of a tight Japanese-version fanbase, but long story short 90% of that exploded. I now only know one girl in person who watched the show back in the day. She mostly saw the English version because that's what was available, though she'd watch the Japanese if she had the time. What's left of my online community is Japanese-version fans who grew up watching it on Toonami, and you guys.
[quote="Rocketman"]Rocketman is to ChiChi as Velasa is to _______.

A. ChiChi
B. Piccolo
C. Goku
D. Bulma[/quote]

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:55 pm

Expanding on what I said earlier, I'd probably have more friends to talk Dragonball with if I liked the dub more and had an interest in Power Level discussions and Versus discussions. Instead, I have to be all stuck-up about it, haha.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:23 am

Most of the people in my life know I'm a fan of Dragon Ball.

My sister watched it with me on Toonami back when we were kids, so she's familiar with parts of it, but as an adult she can't stand to watch anime.

My Dad is awesome about it, he watched it with me on TV when I was young too, he even noted it was a "pretty awesome cartoon." He even watched watched some of my later fansubs with me before I moved out to college. So... yeah. My Dad is totally cool with it.

My mom has maybe watched only a couple episodes in full. She tends to dislike anything animated.

My friends know I like it. Back when I was in high school, the episodes that aired on Toonami were always a daily "water fountain" discussion in our group. Some of them aren't into anime nearly as much as I am, but they enjoyed the show while it was on.

The friends I still keep in touch with post-high school know I like it, but tend to not like it when I want to rewatch a movie or episode, because "they've seen it already." But... they still sometimes play the newer video games with me.

So... yeah. I've actually formed some solid relationships thanks to my nerdiness.
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

Armymanis
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Armymanis » Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:20 am

I thought I already posted here, but I guess I will post again since I do not see my other post.

My friends accept the fact that I am a huge DBZ and Charlie brown fan. As far as DBZ goes, I cannot talk about it with any of my friends or they will punch me. Its a very embarrassing matter for my friends I guess. I do not know why, I think its an awesome show. I think its the fact of a 20 year old liking DBZ and still watching the anime show over and over again.

Oh well, I also have to pause the show whenever my brothers friends come in the room to see what I am watching. Its kind of embarrassing being picked on by 18 year old's. They are two years younger then me and act like they know everything....

As for other people at college, I do not dare talk to any of them about DBZ because they are all people 25 and older. My college is a mix between mostly 20-50 year old's. There are some 16 and 17 year old's for running start, but mostly in my computer classes i see 50 and +.

These forums are all that I have when it comes to talking to people about DBZ including the anime,manga, and the video games.

Kiyza
Regular

Post by Kiyza » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:15 pm

Most of my friends have at least some familarity with Dragon Ball, be it that they watched the dub at one point or have read some of the manga. But my parents have absolutely no clue about it. My dad hates anything animated that comes from Japan, since he says the animation's lazy compared to Disney, which he's a huge fan of. And my mom's not quite that bad, but once I was reading a volume of Dragon Ball and she asked me if "Dragon Ball" had something to do with a dragon's genitals. :roll:

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:40 pm

Castor Troy wrote:Sadly nobody I know in a 50 mile radius of me likes Dragonball. :(
This, I did once see someone dressed as Goku for Halloween through.

Shiyonasan
Advanced Regular

Post by Shiyonasan » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:12 pm

I am the only one of my friends who likes the original Japanese version of Dragon Ball. Two of my other friends sort of like the dub, but like to watch and read Naruto more. Truthfully, they are more gamers than manga/anime fans. The rest of my friends are metalcore fanatics. I personally dislike metalcore myself, but I still get along with my friends nonetheless.

As for my family, my parents don't watch anime or read manga at all. My sister got my mom to watch Full Metal Alchemist once, but that's about it. My sister likes to watch anime and read manga sometimes, but her current craze is a J-pop band by the name of Arashi.

So I'm a loner in real life when it comes to my fandom. You guys are the only people who share my fandom of Dragon Ball.

Satan-Sama
Beyond Newbie

Post by Satan-Sama » Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:32 pm

SuperSaiyan3Goku wrote:The only "social circle" I'm in is the Internet. That's where I spend most of my time, this is obviously where I spend most of my Dragonball time.
Get friends. :cry:

Anyways, my friends and family don't know I still watch this shit, but I remember my uncle would always call me little Goku, because he would see me watching Dragonball and thought it was moderately entertaining. I also remember him being very confused seeing an adult Goku, when me and my cousin would watch Dragonball Z.

My dad used to record all the Toonami Cell episodes, because they would air when I was in school, but for some reason he thought Mr. Popo was a main character and once asked "where's buck tooth?" when I was watching an episode that obviously Popo wasn't in.
KRILLIN'S IN DA HOUSE!
AND HE IS LOOKING MONDO COOL!
SO DON'T BE CRAMPIN' HIS STYLE!

Sanjiscool
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Sanjiscool » Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:13 am

Practically all of my friends like Dragon Ball one way or the other. I think I'm one of the only few that's seen a lot of the Japanese version though.

NeverRamza
Not-So-Newbie

Post by NeverRamza » Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:43 am

I have a close friend that I can talk pretty deep Dragon Ball with that's watched it in Japanese. Most of my other close male friends have enjoyed the series on some level at some point in time but never really talk about it and maybe only mention things like Team Four Star or the "over 9000" video.

For work friends and all them, I never mention anime at all. It's an extremely different demographic there.