The amount of OPs in Dragonball

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

IncompetentOverlord
Beyond Newbie

The amount of OPs in Dragonball

Post by IncompetentOverlord » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:52 pm

Do you think Dragonball/Z/GT had too many openings, too little, or the exact right amount?

While I love Makafushigi Adventure and Cha La Head Cha La(Not all that big on We Gotta Power), I think that the series would have benefited from switching themes once or twice every arc. a lot of the insert songs(particularly Mezase Tenkaichi) seem ideal for this purpose.

So what are your thoughts?
Stuff I Know About: Hellsing, Detective Conan, Macross, GaoGaiGar, Cowboy Bebop, Black Lagoon, Kaiji, Hetalia, Fullmetal Alchemist, Captain Harlock, Digimon, Berserk, Dragon Ball, One Piece, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Yu Yu Hakusho, Cyborg 009, Lupin III, Ultimate Muscle/Kinnikuman, Discworld, Avatar: The Last Airbender, TMNT, Futurama, Invader Zim, South Park, Sandman, Marvel, DC, Scott Pilgrim, Star Wars, Godzilla, Doctor Who, Super Sentai, Kamen Rider, Kingdom Hearts, and Sonic the Hedgehog

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:57 pm

GT should have had at least a second OP. Just so the anguish that is Dan Dan is reduced by 32.

And I suppose Z could have benefitted from a Cell era OP.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Gogeta 00
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gogeta 00 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:20 pm

Z Definatley could have benefited form more OP. I think that head cha-la fits the Saiya-Jin arc really well, and is acceptable during the Freeza arc, but by the time Cell rolls around it feels out of place. They changed the animation a bit, that's a good thing, but why not change the song to? I would like to see what a TV sized Mind Power...ki would sound like, it's possible that it might have been a good choice for the opening in the Cell arc.
[url=http://daizex.fanboyreview.net/viewtopic.php?t=9403] 12 years, 100 memories[/url]
[Former dub fan 1996-2008]

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:25 pm

I think "Dragon Ball Densetsu" would make a nice second opening for DB...

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:38 pm

More openings would have been nice, but I can't really imagine many other songs that would fit with the series. Even some of the themes from the video games and the OP for Kai doesn't feel right.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:44 pm

Can't think of other themes being openings either. If anything, just change the tempo/scenes like how Transformers and G.I. Joe did. Or how DB did even more.

IncompetentOverlord
Beyond Newbie

Post by IncompetentOverlord » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:06 am

Super Sonic wrote:Can't think of other themes being openings either. If anything, just change the tempo/scenes like how Transformers and G.I. Joe did. Or how DB did even more.
Well, as I said before, the insert songs would be great. Mezase Tenkaichi for the 21st or 22nd budokai, and Dragonball Densetsu for the Red Ribbon Army or Daimao arcs.
Stuff I Know About: Hellsing, Detective Conan, Macross, GaoGaiGar, Cowboy Bebop, Black Lagoon, Kaiji, Hetalia, Fullmetal Alchemist, Captain Harlock, Digimon, Berserk, Dragon Ball, One Piece, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Yu Yu Hakusho, Cyborg 009, Lupin III, Ultimate Muscle/Kinnikuman, Discworld, Avatar: The Last Airbender, TMNT, Futurama, Invader Zim, South Park, Sandman, Marvel, DC, Scott Pilgrim, Star Wars, Godzilla, Doctor Who, Super Sentai, Kamen Rider, Kingdom Hearts, and Sonic the Hedgehog

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:20 am

I think I'd do with Z what they did with the original DB; keep the songs that are currently there, but change the animation more often. You know how there's four ending animations for DB? I'd like to have seen four for Z by having two different ED's for each of the two ending songs.

I would've liked to have had a new OP for the Cell arc too.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Bura
Advanced Regular

Post by Bura » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:21 am

I absolutely love openings and endings, and therefore I also like new ones every once in a while. I was pretty sure that DragonBall Kai would have a lot of new openings and endings, like anime of these days have, but we still have Dragon Soul and Yeah Break Care Break... Don't get me wrong, I love those songs, but I really do hope we'll get a brand new opening and ending when the Cyborg/Cell arc starts.

Tweaker
Regular

Post by Tweaker » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:28 am

I always thought it would have made sense to have a new opening and ending for each relevant arc change in the series; it was a pretty big shame that there were only ever two openings for both Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z. It was nice that Dragon Ball and GT had a lot of variance in the ending animations, but the openings always seemed largely neglected in that regard.

Speaking of, GT had the best OP/EDs in the series by far--hands down. I practically get goosebumps every time I watch them! Chock full of nostalgia and personality, those.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:03 pm

What were in the other DB Endings, since Toei didn't let them see western shores?

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:35 pm

Super Sonic wrote:What were in the other DB Endings, since Toei didn't let them see western shores?
http://youtube.com/user/kanzentai

Eeeeeeyup. The first one is awesome.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Velasa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Velasa » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:39 pm

I've always disliked the idea of changing the song every few episodes like modern shows do, so no. There's got to be a huge change in the way the show is to qualify a new theme song for me, like the split between the two arcs of Gurren Lagann. Changing up some of the animation from time to time is fine, but a theme song should mean something <_< Not like in shows like Code Geass, where it changed sixteen times at random points and half of them sucked...
[quote="Rocketman"]Rocketman is to ChiChi as Velasa is to _______.

A. ChiChi
B. Piccolo
C. Goku
D. Bulma[/quote]

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:07 pm

I think Cha-La and Zenkai Power could have used periodical updates in the animation similar to how the original series handled its op/eds. Keep the songs, though - well actually, maybe not Zenkai Power. The sooner that's gone the better.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

Shiyonasan
Advanced Regular

Post by Shiyonasan » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:23 pm

I'm fine with the way the openings and endings are. They changed the animation on the openings periodically to suit the arc it was in, so that's good enough for me.