Why Majin Buu is the worst villain in DBZ

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Why Majin Buu is the worst villain in DBZ

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:15 pm

mystic trunks wrote:I 'm still confused how he repeatedly survived exploding planets but not the Spirit Bomb.
It's called plot convenience.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

LilKokuLink
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by LilKokuLink » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:25 pm

Do you think the genki-dama had more power/energy than an exploding planet the size of Earth? I think it did because I can imagine that genki-dama destroying Earth, especially with SSJ/2 Goku behind it.
Actions have reactions so don't be quick to judge, you may not know the hardships that people don't speak of.
Dub fan.
Naveed.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:36 pm

Well in my opinion, ki explosions can be contained.

By this I mean that a ki explosion can have enough power to destroy a planet but not destroy it, because its destrutive power is concentrated in the immediate proximity of whatever it hits. A kind of implosion instead of a explosion.

Therefore the Spirit Bomb released its awesome power in top of kid buu and the immediate proximity but its power didn`t spread. Kind of a implosion.

And thats how I think all giant ki blasts, which aren`t meant to destroy the planet, work, because ki also follows the will of the user to a certain extent.

LilKokuLink
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by LilKokuLink » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:50 pm

Oh right I see, and I also remember that the genki-dama didn't actually explode on kid buu, it sort of... I don't know how to put it... buu sort of dissolved into it and the genki dama flew off into space. You know what I mean, and it probably got unstable and exploded later like most ki blasts do, like Vegeta' Final Flash.
Actions have reactions so don't be quick to judge, you may not know the hardships that people don't speak of.
Dub fan.
Naveed.

Drayenko
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Drayenko » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:50 pm

rereboy wrote:Well in my opinion, ki explosions can be contained.

By this I mean that a ki explosion can have enough power to destroy a planet but not destroy it, because its destrutive power is concentrated in the immediate proximity of whatever it hits. A kind of implosion instead of a explosion.

Therefore the Spirit Bomb released its awesome power in top of kid buu and the immediate proximity but its power didn`t spread. Kind of a implosion.

And thats how I think all giant ki blasts, which aren`t meant to destroy the planet, work, because ki also follows the will of the user to a certain extent.
Yeah, just like the Final Flash Vegeta used against Cell.

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:29 pm

mystic trunks wrote:1) He is pink
2) In the dub he sounds like an f'n baby
3) He regenerates (like the villain in the saga before him)
4) He copies people's moves (like the villain in the saga before him. What happened to originality?)
5) Majin Buu makes it damn near impossible to tell how much stronger the Z fighters have gotten. Think about it - everyone kicked his ass from the very start. Vegeta kicked his ass, Goku kicked his ass, Gotenks kicked his ass, Gohan kicked his ass... but he could regenerate so it seems that he wasn't even that strong, it's just that he was made of gelatin and could bounce back from everything. The Buu saga is like watching flying Looney Toons battle it out.
One of the reasons I enjoyed Buu so much is because he made no sense at all. Imagine that, nonsense in a gag manga.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:59 pm

Raki wrote:Imagine that, nonsense in a gag manga.
OK, I'm tired of this excuse. Yes, DB started as a gag manga, but that was over around the 21st Budokai. After what, eight years and about as many serious storylines Dragonball was no longer a gag manga.

Drayenko
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Drayenko » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:03 pm

Rocketman wrote:
OK, I'm tired of this excuse. Yes, DB started as a gag manga, but that was over around the 21st Budokai. After what, eight years and about as many serious storylines Dragonball was no longer a gag manga.
Yes, but in the Buu saga it went back to its roots :mrgreen: .

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:07 pm

Drayenko wrote:Yes, but in the Buu saga it went back to its roots :mrgreen: .
Its roots sucked. Dragonball only became the unstoppable juggernaut AFTER it moved away from its dark gag-manga past.

Maphisto86
Patreon Supporter

Post by Maphisto86 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:39 pm

Rocketman wrote:
Its roots sucked. Dragonball only became the unstoppable juggernaut AFTER it moved away from its dark gag-manga past.
Yeah, it was darkier and edgier before . . . in a kooky kind of way. :P ; )

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:19 pm

LilKokuLink wrote:But what's annoying is in the dub Goku said he was holding back so Vegeta could have a go, resulting in wasting energy... what a dunce.
They say that in the dub? In the original Goku says that he wasn't holding back for Vegeta's benefit and that he was going all out, but Buu wasn't giving him a chance to gather enough ki to destroy him. That's when Vegeta steps in to buy Goku some time.
Piccolo Daimao wrote:
mystic trunks wrote:I 'm still confused how he repeatedly survived exploding planets but not the Spirit Bomb.
It's called plot convenience.
Not really. I'm not sure why people think it's inconsistent. Vegetto showed with a kiai type blast that it's possible to wipe Buu out without leaving a trace. No pink goo, no smoke, no regenerate. The narrator even says that Buu was finally destroyed because 'every cell of him was obliterated'.

I'm not sure what counts as a 'cell' when talking about Buu... I mean, he's a monster genie that can live as just smoke. But yeah.
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

IncompetentOverlord
Beyond Newbie

Post by IncompetentOverlord » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:35 pm

Rocketman wrote:
Perhaps you may think so, but coming full circle was the perfect way to avoid becoming saturated with the Artificial Human/Freeza arc style that, frankly, even though it was awesome, just didn't feel DBish enough for me.

Also let us not forget which of the two halves gets better reviews. Is it the lighthearted, funny(for the most part) half, or the edgy, action-saturated half?
Stuff I Know About: Hellsing, Detective Conan, Macross, GaoGaiGar, Cowboy Bebop, Black Lagoon, Kaiji, Hetalia, Fullmetal Alchemist, Captain Harlock, Digimon, Berserk, Dragon Ball, One Piece, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Yu Yu Hakusho, Cyborg 009, Lupin III, Ultimate Muscle/Kinnikuman, Discworld, Avatar: The Last Airbender, TMNT, Futurama, Invader Zim, South Park, Sandman, Marvel, DC, Scott Pilgrim, Star Wars, Godzilla, Doctor Who, Super Sentai, Kamen Rider, Kingdom Hearts, and Sonic the Hedgehog

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:51 pm

IncompetentOverlord wrote:Also let us not forget which of the two halves gets better reviews. Is it the lighthearted, funny(for the most part) half, or the edgy, action-saturated half?
Uhhh...the answer here might not be as one-sided as you might be thinking.
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

Sprite Satan
Regular

Post by Sprite Satan » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:59 pm

Two halves? The slapstick only lasts about 25 chapters out of 519. I wouldn't split the series into "not-Z" and "Z" as to define when the gag manga period ended. Honestly, the real era of Dragon Ball as a silly gag manga ended when the original Dragon Ball hunt did. Sure, there's jokes, and funny moments after that but that does not a gag manga make.
Yamucha Densetsu - APRIL 8th Update - Goku is Yamucha and Yamucha is Goku
Further evidence to support the Yamucha-Goten lineage! Features badly Photoshopped images from Google search

Khalid Shahin
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Khalid Shahin » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:41 pm

Sprite Satan wrote:Two halves? The slapstick only lasts about 25 chapters out of 519. I wouldn't split the series into "not-Z" and "Z" as to define when the gag manga period ended. Honestly, the real era of Dragon Ball as a silly gag manga ended when the original Dragon Ball hunt did. Sure, there's jokes, and funny moments after that but that does not a gag manga make.
I would say the gags last through the tournament. You know Krillin not having a nose and all.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:42 pm

IncompetentOverlord wrote:Also let us not forget which of the two halves gets better reviews. Is it the lighthearted, funny(for the most part) half, or the edgy, action-saturated half?
...the edgy, action part, since it gets all the games, remakes, movies, love, and groupies?

Sprite Satan
Regular

Post by Sprite Satan » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:46 pm

Khalid Shahin wrote:I would say the gags last through the tournament. You know Krillin not having a nose and all.
Alright, I'll give you the entire 21st Tournament. 53 chapters. That's still around 10% of the entire series.
Yamucha Densetsu - APRIL 8th Update - Goku is Yamucha and Yamucha is Goku
Further evidence to support the Yamucha-Goten lineage! Features badly Photoshopped images from Google search

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:27 am

Rocketman wrote:
Considering just about every single name was a pun on something, in that alone allowed the manga to keep its gag roots even though serious shit was happening.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:30 am

Sprite Satan wrote:
Khalid Shahin wrote:I would say the gags last through the tournament. You know Krillin not having a nose and all.
Alright, I'll give you the entire 21st Tournament. 53 chapters. That's still around 10% of the entire series.
•Tao Pai Pai kills people with his tongue and rides on a pole.
•General Blue...is.
•Penguin Island.
•Gokû fights Pilaf's robots, naked. Penis and all afly.
•Jacky Chun fights a Wolfman who is pissed that without the moon he blew up he can't turn back to normal and get chicks. Turns out, in his human form, he's ugly as sin.
•Chaozu being unable to count helps get his tail handed to him.

Those are all pretty silly things, even if not on the level of 'rabbits on the moon'.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:58 am

There's a difference between a manga having gags and a manga being a "gag manga"; but yeah, the line gets blurred a bit in places.