Why did they cut it?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

coola
I Live Here

Why did they cut it?

Post by coola » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:56 pm

In one of very early DBZ rips,this card appear before episode title http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytqQe3vfaXM Does it only appear at early Japanese tv airings?
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Why did they cut it?

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:12 pm

Very interesting. I have no idea what it is, but if I had to make a guess, I would say it was produced by the network rather than by the series, which would explain why it would not be on home video releases.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:15 pm

I can tell from the subtitles at the title card that it's from a fansub (I used to have some of their tapes back in 1999 or 2000, they were called Centaur? Centurion? Something along those lines...). Perhaps it's something they put on their tapes?
"You don't know what you're talking about. You're not very smart, and the things you're saying are nonsense. And I'm not angry. But you do need to shut up." - Tycho Brahe

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:32 pm

Under "DragonBall Z" is written 龍珠二世 (DragonBall Second Generation), which is what the series is sometimes called in Chinese, but not Japanese. So that's almost certainly not something from a Japanese airing, and was probably added by Chinese broadcasters/fansubbers.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:22 pm

MajinVejitaXV wrote:I can tell from the subtitles at the title card that it's from a fansub (I used to have some of their tapes back in 1999 or 2000, they were called Centaur? Centurion? Something along those lines...). Perhaps it's something they put on their tapes?
Centosaur. I had a bunch of their fansubs (both for DBZ and a few other titles) back in the 90's myself.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:40 am

Yeah that doesn't look like something Toei would use for Dragon Ball Z episodes.

SuperSaiyan3Goku
Advanced Regular
Location: In the middle of nowhere, across from Planet Vegeta

Post by SuperSaiyan3Goku » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:05 am

Wait, what the hell is that? :shock:

Oh, it's from China. Didn't seem like something that Teoi would use.
Next quest: Start collecting Dragon Ball Super Blu-Rays whenever season sets get released. Also the Super Manga!

Fan of Dragon Ball Z and various other Anime since '98! ^^

List of Anime I own or have watched - http://myanimelist.net/animelist/SSJ3Goku

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:03 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote:
MajinVejitaXV wrote:I can tell from the subtitles at the title card that it's from a fansub (I used to have some of their tapes back in 1999 or 2000, they were called Centaur? Centurion? Something along those lines...). Perhaps it's something they put on their tapes?
Centosaur. I had a bunch of their fansubs (both for DBZ and a few other titles) back in the 90's myself.
Thanks, that would have driven me nuts. :P

Yeah, I remember thinking it was peculiar when I first saw their fansubs. They always had the Chinese translation and the English (seemingly derived from the Chinese translation. or so I guessed), so you got stuff like "Kame Hame Wave" and so on. Still, I suppose it was better than the translations of our dear friends at AnimeLabs. ;p
"You don't know what you're talking about. You're not very smart, and the things you're saying are nonsense. And I'm not angry. But you do need to shut up." - Tycho Brahe

tinlunlau
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by tinlunlau » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:38 am

As I've stated on that youtube clip, these were VHS recordings from TVB-Pearl's broadcast of the Japanese version of "Dragon Ball Z". While the Cantonese dub would air on the main station TVB-Jade, their international channel TVB-Pearl would air the Japanese dub of DBZ. TVB-Pearl is the station where TVB would air programs from Japan and mostly America. (Yeah, they air a lot of "Lost" nowadays.)

Also note that "Z" is typically pronounced as "e-zed", hence the Cantonese title "Lung Juu YEE SAI". I suspect that it's a play on words.
The world is your's.

Snail
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Snail » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:02 pm

tinlunlau wrote:
Also note that "Z" is typically pronounced as "e-zed", hence the Cantonese title "Lung Juu YEE SAI". I suspect that it's a play on words.
As in.. "Dragon Ball Second Life" I believe.

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:27 pm

I remember these Pearl subs. Only way I was able to get the subbed Goku vs. Cell fight back in the day.

tinlunlau
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by tinlunlau » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:34 am

Snail wrote:
tinlunlau wrote:
As in.. "Dragon Ball Second Life" I believe.
That is far from an accurate translation of the Hong Kong title. However, it should be noted that the movies were simply known as "Lung Juu Z". Sometimes, it would have the "Lung Juu Yi Sai" moniker. And from what I remember, the DBZ movies were not dealt with directly by TVB as it was Edko (the production company who produced hits like "Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon", and "Lust and Caution") who had sole dubbing and distribution rights to the DBZ movies. They don't always get the TVB voice cast all the time.
The world is your's.

Snail
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Snail » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:45 am

I'm aware it's not the accurate translation, but I was actually deriving the "second life" subtitle through pronouncing "Lung Juu YEE SAI" as you had typed. It's not until I read the four letters of the video that I realized that the fourth word isn't "life" but something a little closer to "world" I think (correct me if I'm wrong) Therefore, would "second world" be a better translation of the moniker?