Daisuke Gouri Passes Away (?)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Daisuke Gouri Passes Away (?)

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:27 pm

B wrote:Jesus. A suicide? At least in the cases of the others, they went semi-naturally.
It's being investigated as a "possible suicide". We don't know the full story yet (even if it does look like a suicide).
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:23 pm

Ow.
Damn, what can you say, really? This is terrible.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

fogdark
Beyond Newbie

Post by fogdark » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:50 pm

Wow, I'm actually speechless. After Masako Nozawa, he was my favorite seiyuu on Dragon Ball, and to think he actually died, and not only that, but to be an apparent suicide, its just really sad.
Lets not remember how he died then, but what he did in life, and all the fun he brought to all Dragon Ball fans who enjoyed his performance.
Rest in peace.
Yes, Goku visited me once. He turned to me while I was still speechless, and said, "You've drank too much"...

My Teepublic Store
My Redbubble Store

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:38 pm

Dragonball won't be the same without him.

Rest in peace.

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:46 pm

Wow, that's two in one week... This a terrible week for the Seiyuu.

An appearent suicide?! He must've been going through rough times. Usually, there's a reason.

It's really, really sad to see such an amazing Voice Actor go, 57, too young.

I'm hoping the rest of 2010, will not bring this kind of news.

It's kinda weird to hear tragities happen to the VA of Mr. Satan on both sides of the fandom in such a short amount of time...

R.I.P: Daisuke Gouri

I hope his family well.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:05 pm

Really terrible news. He was one of the greats, with a distinctive, instantly recognizable voice, and yet he still managed to give a different feel to each of his characters. He’ll be missed.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:07 pm

Said news indeed, a great loss for Japanese animation.
Lord have mercy.

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:09 pm

While we're approaching a time when this will become more common, since as Mike stated on the podcast yesterday a great number of the seiyuu are getting old and won't be around forever, this is probably the one loss that has hit me the hardest of the seiyuu we've lost so far. Not only because of the nature of his death, but because his work was one of the things that truly hooked me on the Japanese version of DragonBall and continued to be a joy even after being a fan of that version for over 10 years now.

I'm really not sure what else can be said. It's difficult to make sense of such a loss.
"You don't know what you're talking about. You're not very smart, and the things you're saying are nonsense. And I'm not angry. But you do need to shut up." - Tycho Brahe

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:54 pm

I did a run through on seiyuu that died through out Dragon Ball's entire run, games and Kai included into this timeline. So far, we've lost the seiyuu for...

Umigame, Gyuumao, Colonel Yellow, Cymbal, Drum, Enma-Daiou, King Cold, Mr. Satan
Muten Roshi (first seiyuu)
Tenkaichi Budokai Announcer
Namu
Draculaman (the one who gave Kuririn blood hair)
Tenshinhan
Konkichi
Mr. Popo and South Kaio
Farmer with shotgun
Mez and Kui
Dende and Marron
Muri and Son Gohan (Goku's grandfather in the Burdock special)
Jheese
#13 and Dr. Mu
Bibidi
Old Kaioshin

That's...a lot of seiyuu.
Last edited by Tsukento on Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/TsukentoX]YouTube Profile[/url]

jda95
Advanced Regular

Post by jda95 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:57 pm

Wow. This is such a shame to the DB community and the anime world. Unfortunately, I didn't really know much of his work outside of Dragon Ball apart from Dorry and a character of the day in Pokémon, but of course I will always remember the excellent work he has done.

Incidentally, was he voicing Umigame/Enma Daio in Kai? I wonder who will replace Satan/Those characters.
Tsukento wrote:That's...a lot of seiyuu.
Wow. That really makes the series seem so aged. But it's inevitable, hmm.

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:03 pm

jda95 wrote:Wow. That really makes the series seem so aged. But it's inevitable, hmm.
A lot of the seiyuu were born in the 30s, 40s and 50s.

So far, a good chunk of them died of lung cancer with a few due to other complications (Konkichi's seiyuu died of rectal cancer in 1989) or accidents (Namu's seiyuu fell down a flight of stairs and died later in the hospital after treatment).

And if you wanna count it, Izumi Sakai (singer for ZARD, who did Don't You See and the alternate version of Dan Dan Kokoro Hikareteku) died after falling off a landing of a staircase back in 2007.
Last edited by Tsukento on Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:07 pm

Tenshinhan's VA and this one are the ones that have impacted me the most because of their classic Gundam character roles.

And, of course, Mr. Popo's VA.
Last edited by penguintruth on Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

SaiyaMel
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyaMel » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:08 pm

Damn! R.I.P.
Just Saiyan...

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:26 pm

jda95 wrote: Incidentally, was he voicing Umigame/Enma Daio in Kai? I wonder who will replace Satan/Those characters.
Umigame, no, Enma, yes. He was also reprising his role as Gyumao and took over the role of Porunga.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:28 pm

That's two voice actors this week! How tragic, My heart goes out to his family and friends.
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?

jda95
Advanced Regular

Post by jda95 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:32 pm

SparkyPantsMcGee wrote:That's two voice actors this week! How tragic, My heart goes out to his family and friends.

Who else died?

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:38 pm

jda95 wrote:Who else died?
Isamu Tanonaka

He did the voice of Raichi (one of the fake Namekians) and Bibidi.

RoarkVegeta
Patreon Supporter

Post by RoarkVegeta » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:44 pm

Ah, I loved Konkichi.

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:04 pm

DNA wrote:Such bad taste in jokes.... :P

My favourite voice of his was Gyumao.
It wasn't intended to be bad taste, it was supposed to be an homage...
"FUNi should take [DBZ] out behind the woodshed, give it one last treat, then blow its f%#@$ng brains out before it attacks the baby again." ~Rocketman

Sebastian (SB)
Advanced Regular

Post by Sebastian (SB) » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:56 pm

This is really sad. I thought his recent VA work as Jimbei in One Piece was great from what I heard of it. Even when I was reading the manga before the episode aired I thought to myself, "That's definitely Daisuke Gouri right there" and sure enough, he pulled it off. I certainly hope that's it proven that it wasn't a suicide. That's just tragic to even think about it, but I hope everything goes well in the investigation. Rest in peace.
XBL Gamertag: Dragon Piece
Send me a message letting me know who you are
[quote="penguintruth"]In the case of the Mountain Dew, the DBZ dub is like drinking Mountain Dew and thinking, "I sure do love Coca Cola!"[/quote]