Favorite Super Saiyan Transformation Scene

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bura
Advanced Regular

Re: Favorite Super Saiyan Transformation Scene

Post by Bura » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:59 pm

Xyex wrote:Trunks's transformation against Freeza, for me. The entire thing was just awesome.
I second this. The whole episode itself was beyond awesome! Second place goes to Goku's transformation into a SSJ for the first time.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:30 pm

For me it's a straight up tie between Super Saiya-jin 2 Gohan, and Super Saiya-jin Trunks.

They are both animated gorgeously and have amazing insert songs.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:50 pm

Yeah, insert songs seem to be a big hook for these things. What are the odds that Kai will have one for Super Saiyan Goku?
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

CashmanX
Patreon Supporter

Post by CashmanX » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:01 pm

This is going to seem rather unorthadox, But, my favorite would have to be the one where Freeza has his flashback at the end of his fight with Goku.
olympia wrote: 21:28 why are we still talking about the emails
21:29 who gives a fuck
21:29 shut the fuck up trunks
21:29 * mean trump

LilKokuLink
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by LilKokuLink » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:03 pm

Kaboom wrote:Yeah, insert songs seem to be a big hook for these things. What are the odds that Kai will have one for Super Saiyan Goku?
If it doesn't I'll cry. We can't not have an insert song for that :P
Actions have reactions so don't be quick to judge, you may not know the hardships that people don't speak of.
Dub fan.
Naveed.

jda95
Advanced Regular

Post by jda95 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:59 pm

Kaboom wrote:Yeah, insert songs seem to be a big hook for these things. What are the odds that Kai will have one for Super Saiyan Goku?
Yeah, chances are we'll get CHOU ☆ Super Dragon Soul for it.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:03 pm

Gohan's SSJ2 Transformation, Trunks' SSJ1 Transformation against Frieza with Japanese music, and Goku's SSJ3 Transformation (the dub version by far)
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

yunzabit
Not-So-Newbie

Post by yunzabit » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:31 pm

SSJmole wrote:Mine is Goku going SSJ on Namek. It was just a great scene and made the transformation seem more epic than any other that followed.
This is the best SSJ transformation. Absolutely everything plays out like the final instance where there is no turning back. This is (should be) the end of Goku as we know him.

Beginning with Freeza seemingly killed, Goku and friends take a sigh or relief. They and the audience believe the battle to be over and the universe is saved by our heroes. Goku is completely exhausted and incapable of really fighting anymore.

To everyone's surprise, Freeza survives the genki dama. He then picks off Piccolo and Krillin, not because they are threats but to spite Goku for standing up to him. This incites Goku's rage which transforms him into the SSJ, granting him newfound strength in himself.

Never before or after was there a villain as cruel as Freeza, who was the catalyst for such a remarkable transformation. On the same vein of thought, never had there been a Saiyan child as caring as Goku to transform to avenge the ones he loved.

IncompetentOverlord
Beyond Newbie

Post by IncompetentOverlord » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:51 pm

Believe it or not, my favorite Super Saiyan transformation would have to be Goku's first transformation into SSJ4 in GT. Even though I'm not crazy about the rest of that poorly done series, that moment was the first thing I ever saw of GT which convinced me that it was on the level of Z for many years. Then I actually watched the show, and boy did that impression come crashing down.

My second favorite would have to be when Trunks goes USSJ2. That was just a damn cool transformation which, just like with SSJ4, comes in one of my least favorite parts of the series.
Stuff I Know About: Hellsing, Detective Conan, Macross, GaoGaiGar, Cowboy Bebop, Black Lagoon, Kaiji, Hetalia, Fullmetal Alchemist, Captain Harlock, Digimon, Berserk, Dragon Ball, One Piece, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Yu Yu Hakusho, Cyborg 009, Lupin III, Ultimate Muscle/Kinnikuman, Discworld, Avatar: The Last Airbender, TMNT, Futurama, Invader Zim, South Park, Sandman, Marvel, DC, Scott Pilgrim, Star Wars, Godzilla, Doctor Who, Super Sentai, Kamen Rider, Kingdom Hearts, and Sonic the Hedgehog

Shiyonasan
Advanced Regular

Post by Shiyonasan » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:03 pm

penguintruth wrote:Urgh, dub clips.

Gohan's first SSJ2 transformation may be the greatest single moment in animated DB, and is one of my favorite anime moments.
That is definitely my favorite. The way it's orchestrated is excellent.

Come to think of it, I have actually never seen that in Japanese before. I love how nicely Unmei no Hi fits in there.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:18 pm

For me it will have to be Vegeta's first time as a SSJ1(both against 19 and on that planet.), Broly's first showing of LSSJ.... that atmosphere change was crazy and it always seems to puzzle me, I also like Goku SSJ against 19 and SSJ3 against Fat Buu(dub). Oh and Goku with Trunks in Vegeta's dream was pretty cool aswel.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

SaiyaMel
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyaMel » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:37 pm

Kakkarot's on Namek and Future Trunks' in the TV special, hands down. Gohan's SSJ2 transformation was emotional too, but it just doesn't do it for like the first two I mentioned... neither do Kakkarot's SSJ3 and 4.
Just Saiyan...

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:44 pm

Bussani wrote:For me, it's Gohan's first SSJ2 transformation. The music's great, the Oozaru-like roar in the scream is great, and I love the way everyone drops what they're doing when it happens.
Ugh. Why do I even read the comments on YouTube anymore?

i like the jap version of this show but the voices are a bit girly, i know they were voiced by girls but still, anyways, i LOVE dbz its the shit

Out of everyone speaking in that scene, Gohan is the only one with a female voice. How do some people end up missing the fact that there's a higher ratio of male voice actors?

Gah. Anyways!

As for me, I always loved Trunks' transformation in front of Freeza: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ogo-cuP5wo

Not only was it a surprise to Freeza, but to the viewers as well. Not to mention, the music was amazing. It had that mysterious, somewhat dark tone at the beginning and then jumps into a mood that the best way I could describe is "This guy is gonna kick his ass" mood.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/TsukentoX]YouTube Profile[/url]

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:32 pm

penguintruth wrote:Gohan's first SSJ2 transformation may be the greatest single moment in animated DB

Fuck Gohan and his stupid bird.

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:34 pm

Krazy Monkey wrote: Wow, I thought I was the only one here who likes Bruce Faulconer's music.
I generally dislike Faulconer's score apart from a few tracks, the Vegeta Super Saiyan transformation track just happens to be one of them.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:36 pm

Rocketman wrote:
penguintruth wrote:Gohan's first SSJ2 transformation may be the greatest single moment in animated DB

Fuck Gohan and his stupid bird.
I didn't find either of those nearly as impactful. I thought Gohan's SSJ2 transformation was probably the defining moment of DBZ.

But then, you don't really give a damn about Gohan.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:43 pm

penguintruth wrote:But then, you don't really give a damn about Gohan.
"NOOOOO, not the robot I've known for fifteen minutes! HOW DARE YOU, CELL"

Hey, remember when Vegeta got called an idiot for flying into a rage after seeing his son murdered in front of him? Good times.

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:52 pm

Rocketman wrote:
"NOOOOO, not the robot I've known for fifteen minutes! HOW DARE YOU, CELL"
Now that I think of it, why did Gohan get so mad when Cell crushed #16? He didn't know him for that long and he badly wanted to kill his father.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:16 pm

You know as well as I do why that was what set him off, stop pretending you don't.

It wasn't just that Android 16 was suddenly killed, that's just what pushed him over the threshold, the killing of somebody who had a gentle personality, who did nothing wrong, wasn't even really a fighter, as far as he was concerned, or had no love for it like the other androids. Programmed to kill Goku or not, 16 was willing to sacrifice himself to destroy Cell and was trying to help Gohan, and he was killed. That was more than Gohan could take at that time, with his friends and father near death from the Cell Junior attacks.

Gohan finally releasing all his power, living up to his potential, coming into his own was built up to through the entire series to that point. This was him surpassing his father. This was, to me, the definitive moment of DBZ.

Of course, then Toriyama sort of threw that away later in the Buu arc, but this moment is still pretty important, and the anime handles it perfectly.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:22 pm

Gohan was holding back completely. Cell killing #16 and #16 placing his trust on Gohan to protect that which he loves most likely triggered Gohan to realize that if he keeps his shit up, Cell's not going to hesitate to kill everyone. Gohan was trying to avoid having to fight. #16 got himself killed, along with the fact that everyone else was getting beaten up all due to him choosing not to fight back.

Thus Gohan snapped.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/TsukentoX]YouTube Profile[/url]