Most emotional scene in Dragon Ball

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Most emotional scene in Dragon Ball

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:51 pm

In your opinion, which is the most emotional scene in Dragon Ball?
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

dragondyle
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Most emotional scene in Dragon Ball

Post by dragondyle » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:22 pm

To me, the most emotional scene would have to be where Trunks finds Gohan dead in a puddle and that sparks his range, transforming him in the Trunks TV special. When Trunks is yelling, crying, and blood coming from his hands, you can really feel his anger and sadness.
You must have faith in who you are.

Jon Jon
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jon Jon » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:05 pm

When Vegeta gets killed by Freeza and cries to Goku. I tear up every time (<3 Vegeta)

dragondyle
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by dragondyle » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:11 pm

Jon Jon wrote:When Vegeta gets killed by Freeza and cries to Goku. I tear up every time (<3 Vegeta)
That one is pretty amazing as well. I love the new Chris Sabat speech of it as well. One of the shining moments of the dub.

LilKokuLink
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by LilKokuLink » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:25 pm

Obviously one of the best would have been Trunks finding Gohan dead in the puddle, that was so well thought out.

However, Vegeta is indeed the most in-depth emotional character of the entire series in my opinion. The first real instance of it is when Vegeta explains his story about how Freeza didn't let him be what he wanted to be, that was so emotional and it really hit you when you realised how one of the most arrogant and strongest fighter in the series has such an emotional history. The fact that he cried his eyes out telling Goku to avenge not himself, but the entire warrior race that Goku had never known really gets through to you. A fine piece of work.
Currently I am describing the most emotional character, but there are amazing scenes in which this is portrayed. Another example is when Vegeta realises what Cell has done to Trunks. When Vegeta just goes full out at Cell for killing his son, and not succeeding, the fact that he didn't succeed made the level of emotion twice as big. Someone kills your son, and you're powerless to stop them.

But coming back to the original question, the most emotional scene in DragonBall? Final Atonement. It's just so unexpected and you just can't believe what happens, and again Vegeta fails to save his family and the world - adding to the emotion. Another thing, it happens right at the end of the episode and the narrator says something really good like: "And so a proud saiyan prince..."; something like that which makes it all the more brilliant. This scene really shows the turn of character for Vegeta.

Beautiful stuff indeed :).
Actions have reactions so don't be quick to judge, you may not know the hardships that people don't speak of.
Dub fan.
Naveed.

Bura
Advanced Regular

Post by Bura » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:28 pm

Vegeta hugging Trunks right before his sacrifice.

dragondyle
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by dragondyle » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:31 pm

Bura wrote:Vegeta hugging Trunks right before his sacrifice.
Oh gosh. I totally forgot about that scene. I remember seeing it on TV and just thinking wow, this is amazing. Even Vegeta sacrificing himself in that same moment was so emotional.

LilKokuLink
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by LilKokuLink » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:39 pm

dragondyle wrote:
Oh gosh. I totally forgot about that scene. I remember seeing it on TV and just thinking wow, this is amazing. Even Vegeta sacrificing himself in that same moment was so emotional.
"You've made me proud, my son."

Oh hey dragondyle ;).
Actions have reactions so don't be quick to judge, you may not know the hardships that people don't speak of.
Dub fan.
Naveed.

dragondyle
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by dragondyle » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:41 pm

LilKokuLink wrote:
dragondyle wrote:
"You've made me proud, my son."

Oh hey dragondyle ;).
I think I wanted to cry with Vegeta right there.

Oh hey LilKokuLink! ;) Fancy meeting you here. :lol:

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:42 pm

dragondyle wrote:
I just remembered this too. Vegeta's Final Atonement scene is the most emotional scene in Dragon Ball, in my opinion.

2nd is Trunks finding Gohan dead and then transforming into a Super Saiyan.

3rd is Goku finding Kuririn dead.

Piccolo & Vegeta's first death scenes draw for 4th place.
Last edited by Piccolo Daimao on Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

dragondyle
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by dragondyle » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:48 pm

Piccolo Daimao wrote:
dragondyle wrote:
I just remembered this too. Vegeta's Final Atonement scene is the most emotional scene in Dragon Ball, in my opinion.
Gosh, there are so many emotion scenes in Dragon Ball, like Gohan's SSJ2 transformation, it's hard to choose which is the best.

Scarz
I Live Here

Post by Scarz » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:05 pm

I know I've said this time and time after again: Majin Vegeta vs. Goku.

Why? Vegeta honestly reflects on his life and the years he spent on Earth. His life changed so much in such little time. He was ruthless Saiyan, who worked almost as a slave to Freeza and had rivalry against Goku. But over course of just a few years, he lead a peacefully life with Bulma and his son who he admits he cares/loves deeply for. What kind a life was that for the Prince of Saiyans?

Damn, that speech almost brought tear to my eyes, it was also at that time I stopped hating Vegeta and started respecting him as well developed character. Every other scene in DB series like Goku's death (the first time), Krillin's death, Vegeta hugging Trunks, Future Trunks story of how everyone died, all that was bunch bull trying to pull at my heart strings. Good luck with that! I haven't cried since I was admitted to psychiatric care! (half kidding)

Kiyza
Regular

Post by Kiyza » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:17 pm

I thought Piccolo sacrificing himself for Gohan was really emotional. I'm not really too fond of Vegeta, but I did find him hugging Trunks really sweet. It was just a really touching moment.

LilKokuLink
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by LilKokuLink » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:20 pm

Kiyza wrote:I thought Piccolo sacrificing himself for Gohan was really emotional. I'm not really too fond of Vegeta, but I did find him hugging Trunks really sweet. It was just a really touching moment.
Aha, another great moment. Piccolo's scream is amazing...

Hmmm... not to forget Goku going super saiyan first time, just the fact that Krillin blows up like that and Goku is gobsmacked.

Never quite realised how many moments like these there were...
Dub fan.
Naveed.

dragondyle
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by dragondyle » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:38 pm

LilKokuLink wrote: Never quite realised how many moments like these there were...
Neither did I until this thread. It's amazing how emotional it gets.

Kiyza
Regular

Post by Kiyza » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:54 pm

LilKokuLink wrote:
Kiyza wrote:I thought Piccolo sacrificing himself for Gohan was really emotional. I'm not really too fond of Vegeta, but I did find him hugging Trunks really sweet. It was just a really touching moment.
Aha, another great moment. Piccolo's scream is amazing...
Yeah, I really love the background music in that scene, as do a lot of people. I was eating ice cream while watching it on my Dragon Box. Even the sweetest ice cream tastes a little sour when you watch something like that. :cry:

LilKokuLink
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by LilKokuLink » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:56 pm

Kiyza wrote: Yeah, I really love the background music in that scene, as do a lot of people. I was eating ice cream while watching it on my Dragon Box. Even the sweetest ice cream tastes a little sour when you watch something like that. :cry:
Exactly, it was so well done that I didn't even laugh when Team Four Star did their DBZA Abridged version of it!
Dub fan.
Naveed.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:58 pm

When Vegetto is broken up and we're given the explanation of "smelly air".

the_abberration
Regular

Post by the_abberration » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:04 pm

The scene in the original Dragonball series where Krillin is killed.

In the manga, he goes off to get the Dragonball and the Nyoibo staff for Goku. Goku and the others hear him scream and find him dead.

In the anime, when Krillin goes to recover the items, Goku stops him and he (along with everyone else) give him this long stare (as if to foreshadow something is about to happen). The whole time Krillin is gone, Goku is distracted and "not hungry". Then finally Goku just "knows" something has happened to Krillin, which is symbolized by the shattering of the glass, time freezing, hearing Krillin call his name in his mind.

I just loved the way, the anime was able to convey the bond between Goku and Krillin in that scene so deeply, and in such a way that you (or at least I) may not get from just reading it.
1 Corinthians 13: When I was a child, I spoke and thought and reasoned as a child. But when I grew up, I put away childish things. Except the anime. Never the anime.

"Look. I'm not allowed to hold you, but I'm sworn to protect you"-Sergeant Hatred

The Lineup: Danger Mouse

LilKokuLink
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by LilKokuLink » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:17 pm

the_abberration wrote:The scene in the original Dragonball series where Krillin is killed.

In the manga, he goes off to get the Dragonball and the Nyoibo staff for Goku. Goku and the others hear him scream and find him dead.

In the anime, when Krillin goes to recover the items, Goku stops him and he (along with everyone else) give him this long stare (as if to foreshadow something is about to happen). The whole time Krillin is gone, Goku is distracted and "not hungry". Then finally Goku just "knows" something has happened to Krillin, which is symbolized by the shattering of the glass, time freezing, hearing Krillin call his name in his mind.

I just loved the way, the anime was able to convey the bond between Goku and Krillin in that scene so deeply, and in such a way that you (or at least I) may not get from just reading it.
Ah yeah fantastic, I think there was a podcast episode going through this for a long time during one of the manga volume reviews. They said it was one of the moments when the anime filled in for what the manga left out.
Dub fan.
Naveed.