A familiar pose appears in Pokemon

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

IncompetentOverlord
Beyond Newbie

Re: A familiar pose appears in Pokemon

Post by IncompetentOverlord » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:27 am

SHINOBI-03 wrote:
Scarz wrote:The two electric rats are no big deal to me but Venustoise? Fuck that's awesome! There should be an episode where Charizard and Blastoise fuse together by using the special kai ear rings. It maybe a total ripoff but fusions like that should be included in Pokemon DS games, it'll be super effective.
First, I still can't believe the show is still going...!! Have they even aged one bit...?!!!

And second, Digimon have used the idea of fusing two monsters into one. And that is called Jogress Shinka A.k.A. D.N.A. Digivolve.

And don't forget Pokemon's illegitimate offspring called Yu-Gi-Oh!
I guess some people have never read the Yugioh! manga......

On the subject of Pokemon referencing Dragonball, why has no one mentioned the fact that Team Rocket is a clear homage to Pilaf. Maybe that's just too obvious and old to be mentioned....
Stuff I Know About: Hellsing, Detective Conan, Macross, GaoGaiGar, Cowboy Bebop, Black Lagoon, Kaiji, Hetalia, Fullmetal Alchemist, Captain Harlock, Digimon, Berserk, Dragon Ball, One Piece, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Yu Yu Hakusho, Cyborg 009, Lupin III, Ultimate Muscle/Kinnikuman, Discworld, Avatar: The Last Airbender, TMNT, Futurama, Invader Zim, South Park, Sandman, Marvel, DC, Scott Pilgrim, Star Wars, Godzilla, Doctor Who, Super Sentai, Kamen Rider, Kingdom Hearts, and Sonic the Hedgehog

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:29 am

Probably because they're not, they're an obvious (and stated) homage to the Time Bokan villain trios.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:34 am

And Jessie James, the train robber... for some reason.

Fucking 4kids.

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:50 am

Innagadadavida wrote:And Jessie James, the train robber... for some reason.

Fucking 4kids.
That's just where their names come from. Same way how their Japanese names (Musashi and Kojirou) come from two rival Japanese swordsmen, even though they have nothing to do with the Rocket flunkies. :p
[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/TsukentoX]YouTube Profile[/url]

Super Sonic
I Live Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:20 pm

Innagadadavida wrote:And Jessie James, the train robber... for some reason.

Fucking 4kids.
You're aware that quite a bit of pokemon's names on both sides of the Pacific are based on puns right?