What have the American/UK Dubs... DONE RIGHT?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator
Posts: 16458
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2004 3:10 pm
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Re: What have the American/UK Dubs... DONE RIGHT?

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:58 pm

Big Momma wrote:I think Tuffles is actually a pun on Truffles.
I doubt it's anything other than a simplification/adjustment of a name they couldn't figure out anything else to do with. The FUNimation of 1996 wasn't going out of their way to even remotely make appropriate puns out of their name changes (e.g. dub Tullece).
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

User avatar
Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5895
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:25 pm
Contact:

Re: What have the American/UK Dubs... DONE RIGHT?

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:10 pm

Puto wrote:Unfortunately, though, they still used "Tenshinhan" :/
Why is that unfortunate, since that's his name? Or did you write the other thing, and the filter changed it?
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 3/16/20!)
Current Episode: The Hero We Deserved - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Majin Boo Arc Part 1!

User avatar
Kaboom
Moderator
Posts: 14141
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:07 pm
Location: Funky Town
Contact:

Re: What have the American/UK Dubs... DONE RIGHT?

Post by Kaboom » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:14 pm

I don't mind the 'Tuffle' name. It may be a somewhat iffy romanization, but it's still pretty close, and stuff like 'Tsufurian' can be a bit of a mouthful.
Gaffer Tape wrote:
Puto wrote:Unfortunately, though, they still used "Tenshinhan" :/
Why is that unfortunate, since that's his name? Or did you write the other thing, and the filter changed it?
He meant to say 'T(i)en,' but the name filter got to him.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader

We Gotta Power >>>>> Cha-La Head Cha-La. Fight me.

A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

User avatar
Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5895
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:25 pm
Contact:

Re: What have the American/UK Dubs... DONE RIGHT?

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:28 pm

Haha, in cases like that, the filter leaves some unintended and unfortunate implications...

And, eh, Tuffles just sounds kinda lame. Now Tsufruian... now that's an amazing, manly name I can get behind! Best word ever created!
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 3/16/20!)
Current Episode: The Hero We Deserved - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Majin Boo Arc Part 1!

User avatar
SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here
Posts: 2473
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:17 pm
Location: Young People Town, Fl
Contact:

Re: What have the American/UK Dubs... DONE RIGHT?

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:36 pm

Kaboom wrote:I don't mind the 'Tuffle' name. It may be a somewhat iffy romanization, but it's still pretty close, and stuff like 'Tsufurian' can be a bit of a mouthful.
Gaffer Tape wrote:
Puto wrote:Unfortunately, though, they still used "Tenshinhan" :/
Why is that unfortunate, since that's his name? Or did you write the other thing, and the filter changed it?
He meant to say 'T(i)en,' but the name filter got to him.
I LOVE Diazex's word filter, It always makes me giggle. Now on to the topic...

Honestly if you look at it at Funimation's point of view and not this site's, then Funimation got all of Dragonball right. Regardless of all the changes, Dragonball is still Funimation's golden cow and still manages to bring in huge profits(despite multiples releases). Sure they divided the fanbase but they also brought the show to North America(LEGALLY) and made it accessible to people like me who would have missed out otherwise. Along with Pokemon it helped make anime popular in the states.

They've made mistakes in the past in treated the show with a lot of immaturity but they have also made an effort to correct their past mistakes. They brought over the Dragonbox, they made Subs an option for people who dislike the dub and soon with Kai(and with the original Dragonball) they will hopefully give the series the justice it deserved back in 1999. Sure any company could have picked up Dragonball, but I doubt anyone else would have made the effort to go back and make EVERYONE HAPPY(as of now there are 3 ways to view the show).

To the average anime viewer today, the above statement may not seem like much, but think about all the fans of series who received the same poor treatment(and fell victim to the early anime treatment) BUT NEVER had the production team go back and try to fix their mistakes. We lucked out! As a Dragonball fan I've learned that I am extremely spoiled. I'm greatfull for this and so in my eyes, Funimation got it right.
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5406
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:49 pm

Re: What have the American/UK Dubs... DONE RIGHT?

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:54 am

SparkyPantsMcGee wrote:
I LOVE Diazex's word filter, It always makes me giggle. Now on to the topic...
Yeah I know.

Offensive words like "fuck" and "faggot" aren't censored but words that aren't offensive like "Ti-en" "Pik-kon" and "Fri-eza" are censored. :?

I guess VegettoEX finds them offensive. :?

User avatar
Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6071
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:02 am
Location: Namek

Re: What have the American/UK Dubs... DONE RIGHT?

Post by Metalwario64 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:12 am

Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:Yeah I know.

Offensive words like "fuck" and "faggot" aren't censored
You are offended by those words?
Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:but words that aren't offensive like "Ti-en" "Pik-kon" and "Fri-eza" are censored. :?

I guess VegettoEX finds them offensive. :?
Those aren't the accurate spellings of the characters names and/or are completely made up names.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5406
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:49 pm

Re: What have the American/UK Dubs... DONE RIGHT?

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:17 am

Metalwario64 wrote: You are offended by those words?
If somebody called me a faggot and a fuck head, then yes I would be offended.

User avatar
Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6071
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:02 am
Location: Namek

Re: What have the American/UK Dubs... DONE RIGHT?

Post by Metalwario64 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:57 am

Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:If somebody called me a faggot and a fuck head, then yes I would be offended.
I mean the words themselves. If someone used those words in a way not directed towards you, or in a non-hateful way(if faggot can be used in that context...) would you be offended?

If someone tells another member to "fuck off" in a heated argument, then the moderators would intervene if necessary. I don't see why there is a need to censor speech under the notion of somebody possibly using them in a "harmful" manner(e.g "sticks and stones").
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5406
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:49 pm

Re: What have the American/UK Dubs... DONE RIGHT?

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:00 am

Metalwario64 wrote:I mean the words themselves. If someone used those words in a way not directed towards you, or in a non-hateful way(if faggot can be used in that context...) would you be offended?
In that case I wouldn't be offended.


On a bit of a side note, I've made up a new Daizex curse: "Go Freiza yourself!"

User avatar
Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6071
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:02 am
Location: Namek

Re: What have the American/UK Dubs... DONE RIGHT?

Post by Metalwario64 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:05 am

Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:"Go Freiza yourself!"
Not only did you not make it past the filter, but you spelled it incorrectly (in terms of FUNimation's spelling). :lol:
EDIT...Oh, you edited right before I clicked the post button. The latter is still applicable however. :mrgreen:

You spelled it "Frei­za" when it's "Fr­ieza". :wink: That's just another reason it gets under VegettoEX's skin. :P
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5406
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:49 pm

Re: What have the American/UK Dubs... DONE RIGHT?

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:10 am

Metalwario64 wrote:Not only did you not make it past the filter, but you spelled it incorrectly (in terms of FUNimation's spelling). :lol:
EDIT...Oh, you edited right before I clicked the post button.

You spelled it "Frei­za" when it's "Fr­ieza". :wink: That's just another reason it gets under VegettoEX's skin. :P
As with Frieza (or even Freiza) it's a matter of pronounciation not spelling. If you pronounce it correctly it shouldn't matter how you spell it, much like "Saiyan".

User avatar
ThunderPX
Regular
Posts: 740
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:54 pm
Location: The Netherlands

Re: What have the American/UK Dubs... DONE RIGHT?

Post by ThunderPX » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:09 am

Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:Not only did you not make it past the filter, but you spelled it incorrectly (in terms of FUNimation's spelling). :lol:
EDIT...Oh, you edited right before I clicked the post button.

You spelled it "Frei­za" when it's "Fr­ieza". :wink: That's just another reason it gets under VegettoEX's skin. :P
As with Frieza (or even Freiza) it's a matter of pronounciation not spelling. If you pronounce it correctly it shouldn't matter how you spell it, much like "Saiyan".
Owh, whel inn dat kayse, I supoze I'l djusst typ lycke diss 'kuz I stil pronouns id de saym waye.

User avatar
VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator
Posts: 16458
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2004 3:10 pm
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Re: What have the American/UK Dubs... DONE RIGHT?

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:56 am

Not that this has anything else to do with this thread (and I will not allow further off-topic conversation), but the two "F"-words listed are actual words that are actually spelled that way and have actual meanings, and specifically have meanings beyond what you're inferring them to mean (i.e. - "faggot" is a British word for a type of meatball). They can be used in general conversation as themselves with no confusion and no wrong-doing.

It's one of the reasons that I haven't actually filtered "Guru" to either "Great Elder" or "Saichoro" just yet (though I might if I can force the capitalized-"G" version only).

There is only one way to pronounce "Freeza". The FUNimation-only mis-spelling can be and is pronounced wrong on a regular basis. It is a mis-spelling that goes against the mission of this website and forum.

If you want to discuss something like this, you have had plenty of opportunities in various (relevant) threads, and are free to make new ones. Please keep it on-topic in this thread from this point on.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Big Boss
Regular
Posts: 597
Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 11:07 pm

Re: What have the American/UK Dubs... DONE RIGHT?

Post by Big Boss » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:14 pm

VegettoEX wrote:Not that this has anything else to do with this thread (and I will not allow further off-topic conversation), but the two "F"-words listed are actual words that are actually spelled that way and have actual meanings, and specifically have meanings beyond what you're inferring them to mean (i.e. - "faggot" is a British word for a type of meatball). They can be used in general conversation as themselves with no confusion and no wrong-doing.

It's one of the reasons that I haven't actually filtered "Guru" to either "Great Elder" or "Saichoro" just yet (though I might if I can force the capitalized-"G" version only).

There is only one way to pronounce "Freeza". The FUNimation-only mis-spelling can be and is pronounced wrong on a regular basis. It is a mis-spelling that goes against the mission of this website and forum.

If you want to discuss something like this, you have had plenty of opportunities in various (relevant) threads, and are free to make new ones. Please keep it on-topic in this thread from this point on.
Someone's been on Wikipedia. :)

Anyway, what have the dubs done RIGHT...hmm, some of the movies were pretty decent. I liked Sonny Strait as Bardock in the special. Shame he had bogus lines to deal with.
Chuck Huber and Meredith McCoy as #17 & #18 I thought were perfect castings, one of the few that were done right IMO. Dameon Clarke never ceases to amaze me, his Imperfect and Perfect Cell were really awesome. I REALLY hope they manage to get him back for Kai, the guy who tried to imitate him in Raging Blast didn't do him justice.

User avatar
Tsukento
I Live Here
Posts: 2600
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:34 pm
Location: Florida
Contact:

Re: What have the American/UK Dubs... DONE RIGHT?

Post by Tsukento » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:59 am

Big Boss wrote:Dameon Clarke never ceases to amaze me, his Imperfect and Perfect Cell were really awesome.
You mean insectoid Cell, right?

Because I never got why they chose to gave humanoid Imperfect Cell cotton mouth. :?
[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/TsukentoX]YouTube Profile[/url]

Big Boss
Regular
Posts: 597
Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 11:07 pm

Re: What have the American/UK Dubs... DONE RIGHT?

Post by Big Boss » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:41 am

Tsukento wrote:
Big Boss wrote:Dameon Clarke never ceases to amaze me, his Imperfect and Perfect Cell were really awesome.
You mean insectoid Cell, right?

Because I never got why they chose to gave humanoid Imperfect Cell cotton mouth. :?
Yeah, first form creepy Cell, who's mouth looks like a urinal when he opens his it Cell. :) His Semi Perfect...meh, I hate that Cell form anyway. He has a shitty design, so it's only fitting he'll have a shitty voice. I didn't really like Wakamoto as that Cell either.

User avatar
Optimus
Newbie
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:15 pm

Re: What have the American/UK Dubs... DONE RIGHT?

Post by Optimus » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:41 am

I liked how Cell had different voices in the dub, it fit in my opinion at least the form he was at the time.
Dragonball fan since 2000!

User avatar
Tsukento
I Live Here
Posts: 2600
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:34 pm
Location: Florida
Contact:

Re: What have the American/UK Dubs... DONE RIGHT?

Post by Tsukento » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:53 pm

Norio Wakamoto also presented a sort of different tone for each form, but they weren't as largely drastic as the dub. Humanoid Imperfect Cell was just all around annoying to hear and take serious in dub, what with the cotton mouth.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/TsukentoX]YouTube Profile[/url]

Post Reply