What have the American/UK Dubs... DONE RIGHT?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
ThunderPX
Regular
Posts: 740
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:54 pm
Location: The Netherlands

Re: What have the American/UK Dubs... DONE RIGHT?

Post by ThunderPX » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:46 am

I think "Son Goku" was only used once though.

User avatar
Blue
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1314
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:21 pm

Re: What have the American/UK Dubs... DONE RIGHT?

Post by Blue » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:54 am

Funi did a really good Dragonball dub and a good Boo saga dub.

To me the following characters were casted very,very well in the Funi dub of Z (that is to say I wouldn't want anything other than them.)
Chouzu
Gero
18
17
Cell
Dabra
Kaioshin
Tenkaichi Budokai Announcer
Kuririn
Mr.Satan
Coola
Ghurd
Goten
Videl
Kid Trunks
Herms wrote: The DB wikai lists “Rolie Buu” as one of this form’s alternate name, though I have no clue who calls him that.

User avatar
Tsukento
I Live Here
Posts: 2600
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:34 pm
Location: Florida
Contact:

Re: What have the American/UK Dubs... DONE RIGHT?

Post by Tsukento » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:01 am

Lunaar wrote:Yes, all four of them. :lol:
You'd actually be surprised about how many of them actually exist. Lord knows how many poorly written pieces of hate messages I got from 4Kids dub fans when I worked on my Top 10 Worst 4Kids Dub Moments for One Piece. >_o;
[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/TsukentoX]YouTube Profile[/url]

User avatar
Super Sonic
I Live Here
Posts: 4992
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2004 4:45 pm

Re: What have the American/UK Dubs... DONE RIGHT?

Post by Super Sonic » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:34 pm

Tsukento wrote:
Lunaar wrote:Yes, all four of them. :lol:
You'd actually be surprised about how many of them actually exist. Lord knows how many poorly written pieces of hate messages I got from 4Kids dub fans when I worked on my Top 10 Worst 4Kids Dub Moments for One Piece. >_o;
Perhaps they were fans of their cast members in other shows or something. Or really had a thing for their Zoro, who was one of the few guys people liked from the 4Kids dub.
MajinVejitaXV wrote:
Lunaar wrote:
MajinVejitaXV wrote: Well, let's be fair here. While the TV version of Gundam Wing (I never watched the TV version of Outlaw Star) may not have used the word "kill," that was dubbed back in 1999-2000. And back then, DBZ wasn't exactly consistent in its use either. Sure, FUNimation may have loosened up a bit (as did Toonami) as time went on with the dub, but back in 2000...yeah. Plus, Bandai was offering a genuine uncut release back then. Whereas FUNimation gave us...well, "friggin."
...>__>...<__<...>__>

...i just watched the Gundam Wing dub the other day on DVD, and it fucking ROCKED. Not only that, but they mentioned death, "kill", and cursed as much or more than the original script did. You guys never saw the uncut dub, did you...? Or the version they played on the Midnight Run perhaps...?
Emphasis added. :P

I was talking about the daytime airings, which is what I think Super Sonic was referring to as well. Personally, I've owned the DVD release of Gundam Wing since...err, 2002 or so (including Endless Waltz). So yes, I've seen the dub uncut. Quite a bit at that.
Yeah I was referring to the daytime airings. And while I agree that the Gundam Wing and Outlaw Star uncut dubs were better than DBZ's at the time, it was just noticible that DB/Z and YYH could make mention of things ending fatally, while the Bandai shows often replaced it with terms that didn't seem so serious. (For those who haven't watched either in awhile, they didn't just replace "kill" with "destroy". They often replaced it with "hurt", "get", "fight", "stop", and others that could make things a little confusing.) That and it was kinda funny on Midnight Run that G Gundam couldn't use the word "kill" yet depict killing, while G.I. Joe could use the word "kill" but couldn't depict killing, aside from that Snake woman and Bat-guy from the movie.

User avatar
Adamant
I Live Here
Posts: 2917
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2004 1:02 pm
Location: Viking Land
Contact:

Re: What have the American/UK Dubs... DONE RIGHT?

Post by Adamant » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:12 pm

Super Sonic wrote: Perhaps they were fans of their cast members in other shows or something. Or really had a thing for their Zoro, who was one of the few guys people liked from the 4Kids dub.
Or maybe they, you know, just liked the dub? I mean, shit, there are people who like Funi's Dragonball dub too, it's not like that one is any better.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

User avatar
Super Sonic
I Live Here
Posts: 4992
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2004 4:45 pm

Re: What have the American/UK Dubs... DONE RIGHT?

Post by Super Sonic » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:37 pm

You have no clue how much was changed Adamant, do you? Let me tell us Yanks can tell you it is quite different and better and not as censored. But some people have their preferences to what they like or don't like. Heck, not to call you guys out, but I think you and penguin and all the guys who don't like the Funimation dub would rather watch it than watch Superbook and Flying House in Japanese with subtitles.

User avatar
Adamant
I Live Here
Posts: 2917
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2004 1:02 pm
Location: Viking Land
Contact:

Re: What have the American/UK Dubs... DONE RIGHT?

Post by Adamant » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:39 pm

Super Sonic wrote:But some people have their preferences to what they like or don't like.
Yeah, that was kind of my point. Some people may prefer the horrendous 4Kids One Piece dub or Funi Dragonball dub for whatever reason.
Super Sonic wrote:I think you and penguin and all the guys who don't like the Funimation dub would rather watch it than watch Superbook and Flying House in Japanese with subtitles.
Sorry, but I'd rather chance watching something I've never heard of before than something I know I won't like.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

User avatar
Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5150
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:21 pm
Location: Munciana

Re: What have the American/UK Dubs... DONE RIGHT?

Post by Big Momma » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:21 pm

Super Sonic wrote:You have no clue how much was changed Adamant, do you? Let me tell us Yanks can tell you it is quite different and better and not as censored. But some people have their preferences to what they like or don't like. Heck, not to call you guys out, but I think you and penguin and all the guys who don't like the Funimation dub would rather watch it than watch Superbook and Flying House in Japanese with subtitles.
Who wouldn't? I loved those shows growing up!

If you ever find SuperBook or Flying House in Japanese with subtitles, I am begging you to let me know.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog
Want to join the (Un)Official Kanzenshuu Discord Server?~Click Here~

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family
Posts: 3146
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2004 9:39 am

Re: What have the American/UK Dubs... DONE RIGHT?

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:53 pm

Super Sonic wrote:Yeah I was referring to the daytime airings. And while I agree that the Gundam Wing and Outlaw Star uncut dubs were better than DBZ's at the time, it was just noticible that DB/Z and YYH could make mention of things ending fatally, while the Bandai shows often replaced it with terms that didn't seem so serious.
Again, FUNimation wasn't consistent themselves with the "die"/"kill" thing for a bit on the TV airings with DragonBall Z starting with season 3's premiere. And Gundam Wing and Outlaw Star were both dubbed in 1999/2000, which was a couple of years before FUNimation got more consistent (and YYH was even acquired by them). I think you're not really considering how great a difference such a small time-frame can make. I mean, Adult Swim came along in 2001 and that's when the censorship situation really changed.
-Corey

"You don't know what you're talking about. You're not very smart, and the things you're saying are nonsense. And I'm not angry. But you do need to shut up." - Tycho Brahe

User avatar
Thanos
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1444
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:33 am
Location: San Antonio, TX

Re: What have the American/UK Dubs... DONE RIGHT?

Post by Thanos » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:10 pm

"What have the American/UK Dubs... DONE RIGHT?"

Is that a trick question?
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

User avatar
Brad Redfield
Regular
Posts: 565
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:49 pm
Location: Illinois, USA
Contact:

Re: What have the American/UK Dubs... DONE RIGHT?

Post by Brad Redfield » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:18 pm

Goku getting punched in the balls by Super 13.

The one moment where Schemmel outdid Nozawa. I could've felt that one when I heard the dub. :lol:

User avatar
Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6071
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:02 am
Location: Namek

Re: What have the American/UK Dubs... DONE RIGHT?

Post by Metalwario64 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:28 pm

Brad Redfield wrote:Goku getting punched in the balls by Super 13.

The one moment where Schemmel outdid Nozawa. I could've felt that one when I heard the dub. :lol:
Well of course, because Schemmel is a man and knows how bad that would really hurt! :lol:
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

User avatar
Onikage725
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1501
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:00 pm
Location: Outer Heaven
Contact:

Re: What have the American/UK Dubs... DONE RIGHT?

Post by Onikage725 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:43 pm

I'd say Vegeta theme music, as opposed to relative silence, during the Final Flash scene against Cell.

I could do a list of VA's I've liked between the different versions of the dub, but it wouldn't serve much point. I will say Chris Sabat's Yamcha in DB and Path to Power. For a voice that was on my top 3 hate list when the in-house dub kicked off, he really stepped up his game. Ted Cole, of course, was always the man though.

It was good of them to not re-score original DB, and allowing the option to play the dub with the original score was neat too. Not that *I* care, but it just seemed like an extra getsure they didn't need to do. Yet a lot of dub fans seem to appreciate it. It does at least give someone who follows the dub through the various season sets some musical consistency as they transition from DB to DBZ.
To show my appreciation, I'll only beat them half to death.

User avatar
Super Sonic
I Live Here
Posts: 4992
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2004 4:45 pm

Re: What have the American/UK Dubs... DONE RIGHT?

Post by Super Sonic » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:45 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:
Brad Redfield wrote:Goku getting punched in the balls by Super 13.

The one moment where Schemmel outdid Nozawa. I could've felt that one when I heard the dub. :lol:
Well of course, because Schemmel is a man and knows how bad that would really hurt! :lol:
Definately. Not that I'm badmouthing Nozawa, Nozawa fans, but so you know, there are just some things in this world that you have to be a man to understand.

User avatar
bkev
I Live Here
Posts: 2513
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:17 pm
Location: Twitter. Tweet-Tweet.

Re: What have the American/UK Dubs... DONE RIGHT?

Post by bkev » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:40 am

I'm sure this has been mentioned, but from the little I've heard of the Blue Water dub of the original series it was pretty solid - Nyoibou, Son Goku and all. I always liked Zoe Slusar as Goku anyway.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

User avatar
ThunderPX
Regular
Posts: 740
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:54 pm
Location: The Netherlands

Re: What have the American/UK Dubs... DONE RIGHT?

Post by ThunderPX » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:47 am

bkev wrote:I'm sure this has been mentioned, but from the little I've heard of the Blue Water dub of the original series it was pretty solid - Nyoibou, Son Goku and all. I always liked Zoe Slusar as Goku anyway.
It was mentioned last page... and I now I shall redirect you to my reply at the top of this one. :P

User avatar
Puto
I Live Here
Posts: 2660
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:40 am
Location: Portugal, Oeiras
Contact:

Re: What have the American/UK Dubs... DONE RIGHT?

Post by Puto » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:51 am

bkev wrote:I'm sure this has been mentioned, but from the little I've heard of the Blue Water dub of the original series it was pretty solid - Nyoibou, Son Goku and all. I always liked Zoe Slusar as Goku anyway.
Also "Tao Pai Pai" instead of "Mercenary Tao", the original names for the evil dragons in GT, "Ôzaru" (though it's pronounced wrong), and "Tsufuls" instead of the utterly atrocious name that is "Tuffles" (Seriously, "Tuffles" reminds me of "Waffles"). Unfortunately, though, they still used "T-ien" :/
Last edited by Puto on Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

User avatar
Super Sonic
I Live Here
Posts: 4992
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2004 4:45 pm

Re: What have the American/UK Dubs... DONE RIGHT?

Post by Super Sonic » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:03 am

While I didn't care for GT, will say, thought what Funimation did for the names of the evil dragons was kinda clever on thier part. Guessing change was from fear they'd flub pronounciation of Japanese names, or thought simply translating as 1-star, etc would be lame.

User avatar
Puto
I Live Here
Posts: 2660
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:40 am
Location: Portugal, Oeiras
Contact:

Re: What have the American/UK Dubs... DONE RIGHT?

Post by Puto » Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:23 am

Except calling Yi Xing Long's final form "Omega Shenron" sounded really lame, imo.

That, and who the hell had the idea of coming up with "Majuub"?!
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

User avatar
Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5150
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:21 pm
Location: Munciana

Re: What have the American/UK Dubs... DONE RIGHT?

Post by Big Momma » Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:50 pm

Puto wrote:(Seriously, "Tuffles" reminds me of "Waffles"). Unfortunately, though, they still used "Tenshinhan" :/
I think Tuffles is actually a pun on Truffles.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog
Want to join the (Un)Official Kanzenshuu Discord Server?~Click Here~

Post Reply