Tanooki's Retro Review: DragonBall Z '96 Episodes 1- 4

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Tanooki's Retro Review: DragonBall Z '96 Episodes 1- 4

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:15 pm

So, this is something I've written out about a month ago but just never posted it cause I was having mixed feelings about it. Basically what I wanted to do was take the 1996 Dragon Ball Z dub and dissect it, take each episode (a few in one post from time to time) and describe each edit, why it happened, perhaps have a few laughs.... an updated DBZ Uncensored if you will. The reason I never posted this was cause it just seemed to me that this really isn't of interest to anyone anymore. Even the fans of the 1999 dub wouldn't be interested in this. So it's been just sitting here on my desktop. Now with the recent DragonBall Kai edits happening, it reminded me of these edits. So now I'm thinking what the Hell? I'll post this first one, see how it goes, if no one likes it then I won't post anymore.

So here we go...

Back in the day when DragonBall Z was on TV it was edited and that was the only version available. That was it. To find out what was edited from each episode there was a great site, DBZ Uncensored run by a guy named Chris Psaros. It was a great site and full of information a lot of people didn't know back then. What I'm trying to do here is kind of in the same vain. This time though it has my little spin on it, and some things DBZ Uncensored may have missed....?

DragonBall Z '96 Episodes 1 -4:

"Arrival" was the first home release of DragonBall Z in North America. It actually took the first 5 episodes, cut them into 4 episodes then made those 4 episodes one long movie type feature. On TV though, they played out as episodes. It's odd though on the DVD menu it has the names of the episodes from the TV version but they only show up there, on the menu, the actual feature is just called "Arrival"

I don't see the need to change the name from "The Arrival Of Raditz" to just "Arrival". They used the same title card graphic as the Japanese version but hey, why would you take out the DragonBalls? Just seems like more work for no reason. But, I think I know what happened here. In the Japanese version there is a split second where the title card graphic appears, then the episode title fades in with the DragonBalls and the announcer reads the title. I think FUNimaion took that split second screen capture and just slapped their title on it.

Now, we all know most of the first episode was cut out. I'm thinking this was due to time. FUNimation only had a limited number of episodes to try and sell this so, a lot of early episodes were completely cut out in order to get to the story going. Pioneer later released the some of the deleted scenes from the TV version on their "Dead Zone" DVD release...

Again, because all the stuff cut out, the first episode starts off in a completely different spot. Originally the narrator talks about how the world is at peace now that Goku had defeated Piccolo. The English version starts as Raditz is looking for someone named Kakarot. The original pacing of this episode is rather slow, especially if you've never watched DragonBall. Because of this edit all the episodes after this are now a combination of multiple episodes. Here is how each version starts... I should also mention the English version screen shots will always be on the left.

The first scene with digital paint. The smoking farmer. I mean, I guess I can understand edited smoking from cool characters like say, Logan from X-Men or Sanji from One Piece. These characters are bad ass and kids wanna be like them. I don't think any kid wants to be the farmer from DragonBall Z but, I guess I get it. Smoking is bad no matter how you look at it...

The next case of censorship came from, what is assumed to be a glass of beer. Back then, the digital paint isn't what it is today. This thing would coastally shake onscreen. I think it brings more attention to it. It must have been a real bitch to edit, I mean they even edited the splashes.

I do not envy the guy who had to do this. Speaking of "the guy who had to do this", he has a name it was Byron Watson. He was one of FUNimations first digital painter. Apparly he would spend about 80 hours a week editing this show! From TV.com...

"He spends as many as 80 hours a week editing animation cels — during Goku's epic battles, more than a few characters get bloody noses or cuts, something Americans aren't receptive to in cartoons.... (he) started the job working through the night, sleeping on the office couch and attending UNT art classes during the day. The workload was so heavy that he soon asked fellow classmate Carly Hunter to help out."

Hmm, wonder if he's related to Barry Watson...

Moving on... as Raditz lands on Roshi's Island, Master Roshi says something kind of odd...

This line "This isn't good, I smell death in the air", apparently was only in the first run of the TV version. Few people heard this or even know it was said. Meri (from Temple O Trunks fame) actually has a tape she recorded off of TV where this line is said. I remember it came up in one of the podcast topics, I searched but couldn't find it. I remember hearing it and didn't even notice it wasn't in the home release until it came up a few years ago. When this was brought up I remember this feature, "Arrival" was released with two different covers...

I thought perhaps, maybe, the two covers indicate the two different versions? But no. It's actually the same on both videos. I actually went on eBay and searched for the Goku\Gohan cover just to spot check that scene. Funny story though, on the Season 1 set and DragonBox set, Roshi says this in the English version. I should mention, it wasn't just this one line that was a one shot only deal, a few other lines were only heard once.

As Raditz lands on Roshi's island, Goku gives Raditz this stare that was cut from the English version. Don't know why though, it was like 3 seconds long. The screen pans from Goku to Raditz, here is what the full frame looked like...

As Raditz tells Goku that he had come from space Roshi is just like oh yea... THAT. In the flashback scnes Goku's Saiyan weiner is edited out. This edit also popped up later in DragonBall Kai. I have a feeling we'll be seeing most of these edits again when DBZ Kai comes to Nicktoons...

As time goes on Raditz takes Gohan hostage. During this scene Gohan is crying, but it's edited out, poor, poor Byron Watson...

As Goku and Piccolo team up they follow the Dragon Ball on Gohans hat with the Dragon Radar. They confront Raditz and the battle begins. During this fight, any hits to the face are cut out. You can show the reaction to getting hit in the face, but you can't actually show the fist and the face connecting. So for example, this is how this scene played out in the two versions...

Blood was also removed, in the case of Piccolo's blood though was that it was changed to green. Later on in Kai it was changed to purple wich, actually became the default color of the Nameks...

As the battle goes on, Goku eventually comes up with the idea to hold Raditz while Piccolo charges up and blast both of them, killing them both. In the English version, the blast just hits them but dosen't penetrate them.

As Goku is laying there dying, there is a hole on the bottom right of the screen. You can actually still see it in the English version, it's a bit less but you can definitely see it. If you watch this scene the digital paint is all over the place, the still image doesn't do it justice.

Goku dies, fades away and the "next dimension" excuse for death is born. Any blood left on the ground is censored out.

Next, there was a few scenes of the after world that were cut. It was probley cut for time, I don't think this was a censorship issue. Another thing that was cut was after Goku runs off to Snake Way, Kami has a few thoughts to himself about Goku and what's going to happen when the Saiyans show up. This probley would have benefited the English dub. It was a good opportunity to catch up on some of Goku's past and show what kind of person Goku is to American audiences who have never seen or heard of this series...

While Goku is in the Other World, Piccolo takes Gohan to train for the Saiyans arrival in one year. In the Japanese version Piccolo tells Gohan his dad is dead, Gohan cries a bit, Piccolo screams at him... it's pretty harsh for someone like Gohan and you kind of feel that in the Japanese version. In the English version Piccolo tells him, Gohan's crying is cut out and Piccolo goes on to tell Gohan about training for the Saiyans. It was pretty emotionless here.

The episode ends soon after. Now what most people don't know is that the English version actually did have next episode title cards. They were only shown on the home release though.

Now, for each of these reviews\dissections I really wanna pick one line from the dub that was so ridiculous it made me laugh and is forever burned into my brain and hear it no matter what language I'm watching it in!

So the first inductee into the hall of fame is...

:lol:
Last edited by Tanooki Kuribo on Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:15 am, edited 6 times in total.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Tanooki's Retro Review: DragonBall Z '97 Episodes 1- 4

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:21 pm

"You just wanna gobble him up!" is easily one of my (ironically) favorite lines/deliveries of all time, too.

Our discussion of the re-dubbing of the "death" lines way way the Hell back on Episode #0066 of the podcast, back when people actually cared about digg.com, apparently. No guarantees on the sound quality back then...!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:27 pm

You know, I was looking at my old Pioneer discs the other day and was thinking about doing a trip down memory lane like this.

And at least the 'Gobble him up' line is basically what is said in the original. With the onslaught of brilliant scientists and Christian prayers coming in the future, it's not so bad. ;p
"You don't know what you're talking about. You're not very smart, and the things you're saying are nonsense. And I'm not angry. But you do need to shut up." - Tycho Brahe

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:46 pm

MajinVejitaXV wrote:And at least the 'Gobble him up' line is basically what is said in the original.
Yes, but Mayumi Tanaka cannot come anywhere close to being as artistically impressive as an overly-exaggerated Terry Klassen. End of discussion.
MajinVejitaXV wrote:With the onslaught of brilliant scientists and Christian prayers coming in the future, it's not so bad. ;p
And then totally and carefully avoiding the awesome innately-quasi-religious stuff going on. LIKE BURIALS.

"I SURE HOPE EVERYONE GOT AWAY ALL RIGHT..."
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

MajinVejitaXV

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:56 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
MajinVejitaXV wrote:And at least the 'Gobble him up' line is basically what is said in the original.
Yes, but Mayumi Tanaka cannot come anywhere close to being as artistically impressive as an overly-exaggerated Terry Klassen. End of discussion.
No disagreement there, I love the dubbed exchange too. ;)
VegettoEX wrote:
MajinVejitaXV wrote:With the onslaught of brilliant scientists and Christian prayers coming in the future, it's not so bad. ;p
And then totally and carefully avoiding the awesome innately-quasi-religious stuff going on. LIKE BURIALS.

"I SURE HOPE EVERYONE GOT AWAY ALL RIGHT..."
And this is why I have DBZ Uncensored backed up on my HDD in case it goes away again (to another dimension?). :P

Good lord...that was 13 years ago...half of my life ago...I need to sit down (and drink...heavily...)...
"You don't know what you're talking about. You're not very smart, and the things you're saying are nonsense. And I'm not angry. But you do need to shut up." - Tycho Brahe

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:23 pm

What a fun little trip down memory lane. I don't own much of the Pioneer release (just a few tapes and the first two films on DVD), but it's fun going back and poking fun at these edits. Espicially when you're bemoaning the edits on the the broadcast dub of Dragon Ball Kai. >___________<
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:25 pm

This was a fun read. A nice "Blast from the Past" I guess. What'd be really interesting is if future ones have more Kai edits thrown in for comparison as well.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Sprite Satan
Regular

Post by Sprite Satan » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:29 pm

What, no love for any of the awesome Raditz lines? I know "keep your eye on the birdie" is overdone but who can not love "Have you seen my arm? You can't miss it... it's GREEN!!"?

Oh, nostalgia. I loved this review, do more, please.
Yamucha Densetsu - APRIL 8th Update - Goku is Yamucha and Yamucha is Goku
Further evidence to support the Yamucha-Goten lineage! Features badly Photoshopped images from Google search

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:32 pm

Oh... by the way...

This very specifically was 1996, not 1997. The original two seasons ran from 1996-1998.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:42 pm

Damn, what a coincidence. I was in the works of doing a similar project, although more in the vein of Herms' Viz comparisons where I analyze the current FUNi dub and compare the line changes and analyze the importance of them.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

MajinVejitaXV

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:43 pm

VegettoEX wrote:Oh... by the way...

This very specifically was 1996, not 1997. The original two seasons ran from 1996-1998.
Well yeah, but it was September of 1996 so...bleh, fine. Round up and it was 14 years ago. Happy? ;p

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:49 pm

MajinVejitaXV wrote:

Well yeah, but it was September of 1996 so...bleh, fine. Round up and it was 14 years ago. Happy? ;p
What is this accuracy in my discussions of innaccurate dubs of Japanese children's cartoons?! :p
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:06 pm

I didn't start watching the show until the end of Funimation's Freeza arc, but I saw most of the Saban era episodes via re-run and DVD.

You know, the picture quality, editing, and script may be hilariously bad, and techinically I didn't even grow up with them, but for some reason I wouldn't mind having a set of these DVDs at all. They make me feel something that resembles joy. I think ... I want to caress them.

.:PoetikaL:.
Regular

Post by .:PoetikaL:. » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:31 pm

Cipher wrote: You know, the picture quality, editing, and script may be hilariously bad, and techinically I didn't even grow up with them, but for some reason I wouldn't mind having a set of these DVDs at all. They make me feel something that resembles joy. I think ... I want to caress them.
I see what you did there. ;)

But yes, this makes me want to watch the Ocean Dub again, for nostalgia's sake. I think from the day until I go to the next dimension, I will appreciate FUNimation's first attempt at DBZ and enjoy the ridiculous (and some quite hilarious) lines that were produced.
My Deviantart: http://poetikal.deviantart.com
My Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheycallmeBrod

"I beat Toguro, and after that I assumed everything else would just be a big ol' piece of cake. And then some rogue Spirit Detective has to go and open up the freakin' gates of Hell!" -Yusuke Urameshi

I think Tom Dubois of "The Boondocks" said it best for me when FUNimation announced the release of the domestic Dragonbox, after buying all of the Season Sets: "MOTHERFUCK!!! SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT, PRICKS, SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIIIIIIIT!"

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:33 pm

Thanks for putting forth the effort into doing this. It is like DBZ Uncensored all over again.

Sad how recording the show off of television feels more complete than the DVDs what with their "2 hour feature/edited together" mess. I still have all these episodes on tape somewhere, with good old Moltar ringing in every episode. So... yeah, I was '98 rather than '96 but still pretty close to the beginning! :lol:
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:33 pm

VegettoEX wrote:"I SURE HOPE EVERYONE GOT AWAY ALL RIGHT..."
I can see their parachutes. They're ok! Too bad it's Sunday, those buildings would have been full tomorrow.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:37 pm

I can do this too!

Um... we'll take you back to your dad and brother later...?

How'd I do?
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:39 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:How'd I do?
Mondo coo-

Oh, wait.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:07 pm

Also, it even says "©1996" in the ending credits.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:26 pm

"Ahahaha, 'has anyone seen my arm? You can't miss it, it's green'!"
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?