Camera Pans!

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kojiro Sasaki
Banned

Re: Camera Pans!

Post by Kojiro Sasaki » Sun May 21, 2017 12:23 am

Metalwario64 wrote:That's nice, but way too small.
Size doesn't matter! The technique is what is important 8)

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun May 21, 2017 12:26 am

Kojiro Sasaki wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:That's nice, but way too small.
Size doesn't matter! The technique is what is important 8)
Hehehe! :angel:

Anyway, I like that it's from the Dragon Box, and in general, it'd be great if someone could provide Dragon Box versions of these movie pans (especially my two SS3 Goku ones from 12). Blu-ray Double Feature shots would probably be even better.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon May 22, 2017 8:03 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:Anyway, I like that it's from the Dragon Box, and in general, it'd be great if someone could provide Dragon Box versions of these movie pans (especially my two SS3 Goku ones from 12). Blu-ray Double Feature shots would probably be even better.
I would argue that the Dragon Box ones would be even better, as the destructive denoising filters from Funi's Blu-Rays reduces the effective resolution to below that of the Dragon Boxes.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Mon May 22, 2017 8:09 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:Anyway, I like that it's from the Dragon Box, and in general, it'd be great if someone could provide Dragon Box versions of these movie pans (especially my two SS3 Goku ones from 12). Blu-ray Double Feature shots would probably be even better.
I would argue that the Dragon Box ones would be even better, as the destructive denoising filters from Funi's Blu-Rays reduces the effective resolution to below that of the Dragon Boxes.
Eh, not really. Funimation's Blu-ray pretty clearly has a higher resolution than the Boxes, though they're inferior for other reasons.
Retired.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon May 22, 2017 8:12 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Robo4900 wrote:
Eh, not really. Funimation's Blu-ray pretty clearly has a higher resolution than the Boxes, though they're inferior for other reasons.
I said effective resolution. Funi's Blu-Rays are so blurry and crushed, they're missing lot of detail that the Dragon Boxes have, despite the DBoxes only being in standard def.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Mon May 22, 2017 10:24 pm

Metalwario64 wrote: There are no pans of SS2 Gohan in movie 9. Here are all of the ones I've made from the Cell Games:
Nice, but you have something of SSJ4 Goku?
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Tue May 23, 2017 12:30 am

Robo4900 wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Robo4900 wrote: I would argue that the Dragon Box ones would be even better, as the destructive denoising filters from Funi's Blu-Rays reduces the effective resolution to below that of the Dragon Boxes.
I said effective resolution. Funi's Blu-Rays are so blurry and crushed, they're missing lot of detail that the Dragon Boxes have, despite the DBoxes only being in standard def.
From the screenshots I've seen, they're sharper than the Dragon Boxes, and even though the dark details (and sometimes white) are usually crushed, I could probably mitigate it to some degree with color correction, which would probably make them the best for camera pan images at least. I'm not arguing that they should have been better though, but the noise reduction was lessened as they were released. I imagine movies 12 and 13 look quite sharp and detailed on Blu-ray, aside from the overly dark crush going on.
Noah wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote: There are no pans of SS2 Gohan in movie 9. Here are all of the ones I've made from the Cell Games:
Nice, but you have something of SSJ4 Goku?
Here are some GT pans:
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Tue May 23, 2017 12:36 am

Metalwario64 wrote: Here are some GT pans:
Those are great man, thanks! Also do have any Super pans?
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Tue May 23, 2017 12:37 am

Not yet. Whenever I start getting the DVDs (well, I'll skip the retell arcs at least) I'll probably do some.

I think I've seen a couple posted elsewhere, for what it's worth.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Tue May 23, 2017 7:38 am

I made some back when Super #38 aired:

[spoiler]Image
^Oops, messed up his hair, apparently.[/spoiler]

I should probably redo them now that the Blu-rays are out, but...

Lazy.

EDIT:

Redid some and made a few more:

[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sat May 27, 2017 3:29 am

Ajay wrote:I made some back when Super #38 aired:

I should probably redo them now that the Blu-rays are out, but...

Lazy.

EDIT:

Redid some and made a few more:
Nice pans Ajay!

Here are some more 35mm Kai pans:
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:20 pm

Some Freeza arc pans:
[spoiler]Image

Last, but not least, here's the pan of dead Vegeta, but with Z's footage. I spliced the Z footage with the extended footage I made for the Kai pan, and added grain and corrected the colors to match Z's footage.[/spoiler]

Compilation of all of the TFC pans I've made thus far:
[spoiler]Image

And once more, I "extended" the edges with some splicing and redrawing:

I'll also say that FUNimation's encoding of TFC isn't as good as their previous Kai DVDs. There are noticeable compression artifacts, whereas the previous Kai DVDs had fantastic encoding with hardly any macroblocking, and that seems to make the JPG compression in these pans worse, because it magnifies the artifacts that are already there. Oh well.[/spoiler]

I deleted and reposted this again because I forgot to include this camera pan of everyone following Kaioshin:

Dorexx
Regular

Post by Dorexx » Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:39 am

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
酷签名

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:31 am

Great images.

I have a request, if that's allowed: can anyone please make a pan of the Dragon Ball ED Righteous Devil and Heroic Angel?

"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:07 am

As an extension of my praise of Dragon Ball movie 1 in the screenshots thread, here's a panning shot from that film. As I said in the other thread, this film is goddamn beautiful.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:11 pm

Could anyone provide some good pans of Perfect Cell? I didn't see many in this thread when I skimmed through it.
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:20 am

Just to ask on someones behalf but how do you capture these pan shots? I know it's done as one entire drawing but on the TV screen it just pans upwards across the image so you see parts of it at a time. How are you getting the full shot?

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:43 am

Bullza wrote:Just to ask on someones behalf but how do you capture these pan shots? I know it's done as one entire drawing but on the TV screen it just pans upwards across the image so you see parts of it at a time. How are you getting the full shot?
Don't you just take screenshots when the camera is at the very bottom (first frame), then middle, then the very top (last frame), and then you merge them on a PC?

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:49 am

Xeogran wrote:Don't you just take screenshots when the camera is at the very bottom (first frame), then middle, then the very top (last frame), and then you merge them on a PC?
Well that's how I'd do it, press the Print Screen button and then try to line them up meticulously on Paint or something but I don't know if that's the proper way of doing it.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:15 am

Bullza wrote:
Xeogran wrote:Don't you just take screenshots when the camera is at the very bottom (first frame), then middle, then the very top (last frame), and then you merge them on a PC?
Well that's how I'd do it, press the Print Screen button and then try to line them up meticulously on Paint or something but I don't know if that's the proper way of doing it.
If you have Photoshop, try going to File > Automate > Photomerge (it'll be at the bottom of the Automate page). This very handy tool can merge images together automatically and figure out where they should go, and even blends the colours together! When using it, you'll want to use the Reposition option on the left side as the footage won't have lens distortion. If the shot is animated, you'll want to make sure that looping elements are taken from the same frame.

Here's one that I whipped together using the very first shot of the show from the Dragon Box using only four images (if there's a lot of colour shifting in the frame, using a higher amount of image samples can help out a lot with Photomerge). In this one, the transparent clouds at the very bottom moved slightly, so I made sure to isolate them in the screenshots. Pretty good, right?