Camera Pans!

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
InfernalVegito
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1299
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:18 am
Location: Universe

Re: Camera Pans!

Post by InfernalVegito » Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:44 pm

Indeed. The pastel like quality of the beams and the countless amount of illuminated debris around it makes it so much more compelling.
BT3 off meds | The final fight

Ah, the Alpha and the Omega. As all life was created from Chaos...so shall it be DESTROYED!!!

The wails of machines | Singing cold harmony | Shifting air upward | Entranced by the breeze | Light pours like blood | Into a cosmic sea | Of stars crystallized | In a frozen symphony

Vegetto kicking you into orbit theme

User avatar
SuicidalZerg
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 325
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:01 am
Location: Utah, United States.
Contact:

Re: Camera Pans!

Post by SuicidalZerg » Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:40 am

After today's Super episode, and after it's hype died down for me, I got a little bored, so I decided to slap this together in about 5 minutes.

Image
Nozawaberries commercial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mdqta3iB6ZM

Twitch stream: http://www.twitch.tv/suicidalzerg
Planet Minecraft skins: http://www.planetminecraft.com/member/son_gohan/
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/SC2SuicidalZerg
NA Battle tag: SuicidalZerg.158
MC username: SuicidalZerg

User avatar
Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5976
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:02 am
Location: Namek

Re: Camera Pans!

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:10 am

Not to take the wind out of your sails, but your image made me decide to take a stab at it. I used Kai, and I filled in the gaps from the camera rotating:
Image

I prefer Kai's footage (the film elements at least) over the Dragon Boxes as well, because the colors are superior and the dark details are amazing.

I've also recently been doing some diagonal pans. These require much more extensive work, because this is what you start out with:
Image

So, to make it look decent would require heavy amounts of redrawing the missing segments. I'd like to consider myself pretty well versed in GIMP, so I took a crack at it:
Image

This one took a lot of redrawing. I had to interpret things that weren't there, and that kind of makes me feel uneasy, like I'm trying to fill the shoes of the original artist of this scene, but I did my best, and for all of my additions I add a very fine layer of grain, and slightly blur it to match Kai's footage. I cropped it a bit to the right because the painted backgrounds are the hardest things to match. I think I did a decent job on the cliff on the bottom, however.

Here are some others, which didn't take as much work:
Image
This one was extremely easy; just cut and paste the sky to fill out the missing parts in the bottom left and top right.

Image
This one too was very easy. In fact, it was more challenging to resize and align the frames, since the camera is also zooming during this shot. It was a simple matter to redraw the missing sky.

Image
This one was a bit more complex, but still easier than the first one I posted. I got around most of the redrawing by stretching elements from the existing footage.
Last edited by Metalwario64 on Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

User avatar
eledoremassis02
I Live Here
Posts: 3312
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:40 pm

Re: Camera Pans!

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:22 am

What you added on is incredible never-the less unnoticeable! Nice job!

Zephyr
I Live Here
Posts: 3553
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:20 pm

Re: Camera Pans!

Post by Zephyr » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:48 pm

A humble (read: garbage) MS Paint attempt:
Image

User avatar
Attitudefan
I Live Here
Posts: 2963
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:51 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Camera Pans!

Post by Attitudefan » Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:49 pm

Those Vegeta vs Goku ones from Kai prove how much lighter Vegeta's hair was intended to be compared to the pure black hair of Goku's. It's so noticeable when they are together. Why does Toei and fans stop doing that now (when using anime colours)? Like, Don't tell me Vegeta's hair is black when those same people colour Gohan's fighting uniform in the Saiyan/Namek arc as blue instead of green (or purple like in the Cell arc). Be consistent or do not complain that Vegeta's hair is brown in the anime, because it is. Copying film over generations lost detail, including darker tones which were not meant to be black did because copying film crushes blacks and other darker colour tones. Raditz' hair is extremely blue, as Vegeta's is dark brown or dark red.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

User avatar
MCDaveG
I Live Here
Posts: 4621
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2005 5:54 pm
Location: Prague, Czech Republic
Contact:

Re: Camera Pans!

Post by MCDaveG » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:43 pm

Zephyr wrote:A humble (read: garbage) MS Paint attempt:
It reminds me of GBA Advanced Adventure world screen!
''Gotta catch 'em all! Dragon Baaaaall!''

User avatar
Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here
Posts: 4563
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:23 am
Location: Manhattan, New York
Contact:

Re: Camera Pans!

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:09 pm

Zephyr wrote:A humble (read: garbage) MS Paint attempt:
Image
Is that my patch work?

Zephyr
I Live Here
Posts: 3553
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:20 pm

Re: Camera Pans!

Post by Zephyr » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:42 am

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:Is that my patch work?
Negative. After making this I showed it someone, and they linked to the one you had already done. Which is much better than mine. :P

User avatar
SuicidalZerg
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 325
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:01 am
Location: Utah, United States.
Contact:

Re: Camera Pans!

Post by SuicidalZerg » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:47 am

Is it just me, or does that pan completely skip the Androids/Cell arcs as if they never really existed, and goes straight to the Kaioshin realm?
Nozawaberries commercial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mdqta3iB6ZM

Twitch stream: http://www.twitch.tv/suicidalzerg
Planet Minecraft skins: http://www.planetminecraft.com/member/son_gohan/
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/SC2SuicidalZerg
NA Battle tag: SuicidalZerg.158
MC username: SuicidalZerg

User avatar
The Time Traveller
I Live Here
Posts: 3436
Joined: Sun May 13, 2007 1:32 pm
Location: UK

Re: Camera Pans!

Post by The Time Traveller » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:50 pm

SuicidalZerg wrote:Is it just me, or does that pan completely skip the Androids/Cell arcs as if they never really existed, and goes straight to the Kaioshin realm?
Looks like it's missing Red Ribbon, Piccolo Daimao, Saiyan and Freeza arcs as well.

The first half looks like it's dedicated to the first 5 volumes of the manga, then goes straight to the last 2.

User avatar
Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here
Posts: 4563
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:23 am
Location: Manhattan, New York
Contact:

Re: Camera Pans!

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:03 pm

Zephyr wrote:
Tanooki Kuribo wrote:Is that my patch work?
Negative. After making this I showed it someone, and they linked to the one you had already done. Which is much better than mine. :P
What? No, yours is way better, you took out the time! :lol:

Zephyr
I Live Here
Posts: 3553
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:20 pm

Re: Camera Pans!

Post by Zephyr » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:44 am

Yours didn't have that jarring, inconsistent line on the bottom, so I liked yours better. Couldn't really think of a way to cut the line out without slicing part of the image off, and that bugged me, so I said screw it and left it.

User avatar
SuicidalZerg
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 325
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:01 am
Location: Utah, United States.
Contact:

Re: Camera Pans!

Post by SuicidalZerg » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:31 pm

The Time Traveller wrote:
SuicidalZerg wrote:Is it just me, or does that pan completely skip the Androids/Cell arcs as if they never really existed, and goes straight to the Kaioshin realm?
Looks like it's missing Red Ribbon, Piccolo Daimao, Saiyan and Freeza arcs as well.

The first half looks like it's dedicated to the first 5 volumes of the manga, then goes straight to the last 2.
No it's got the RR one in there... isn't that what the snowy mountain signifies? ... It's got Karin's tower in it... Goku went up that in both the RR arc and the Piccolo Daimao arc. Saiyan arc obviously involves The snake road, and King Kai's planet a lot of the time. Freeza might be missing... maybe they should have turned half of Namek into a flaming red cinder ;)
Nozawaberries commercial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mdqta3iB6ZM

Twitch stream: http://www.twitch.tv/suicidalzerg
Planet Minecraft skins: http://www.planetminecraft.com/member/son_gohan/
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/SC2SuicidalZerg
NA Battle tag: SuicidalZerg.158
MC username: SuicidalZerg

User avatar
Doctor.
Banned
Posts: 10529
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:02 am
Location: Portugal

Re: Camera Pans!

Post by Doctor. » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:36 pm

I think it's just showing the places where Goku has trained, not the most relevant places of the arcs.

User avatar
Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5976
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:02 am
Location: Namek

Re: Camera Pans!

Post by Metalwario64 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:32 am

Here's another diagonal pan:
Image

That's the original, and here's the one I "filled in":
Image

I thought this one would be a lot easier, since it's a redrawn shot, though it was probably more of a pain since the redrawn shot used lots of gradients. At the very least, it made me less nervous about it not looking great because sometimes when they extended the frame in redrawn shots, it would look less than stellar.

There are a few small areas I still have some gripes with. First, I don't know if I got the topmost black streak effect perfectly straight, since it required a pretty large amount of redrawing. The second thing is the shading on his right arm. It looks a bit strange, but that's because I was following the shading I could see, so it could or could not be accurate to the original drawing (or at least, Kai's tracing).

Overall, I'm satisfied. I spent about 2-3 hours total on this thing.
Last edited by Metalwario64 on Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Son_Gohan
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1121
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:14 pm

Re: Camera Pans!

Post by Son_Gohan » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:14 am

Metalwario64 wrote:Here's another diagonal pan:
It looks very well done, along with the others. My eyes don't catch much variance from the original image.

I see that you use GIMP as well. Did you pick up your skills in school or is it something you've learned on your own? Do you use a graphics tablet? The pen tool?

User avatar
Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5976
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:02 am
Location: Namek

Re: Camera Pans!

Post by Metalwario64 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:00 pm

I learned GIMP on my own through experimentation. :p

I do own a tablet, but I haven't used it lately because the last time I used it several months ago it started making my computer slow down. The additional art is drawn with my mouse, but looks decent because I use the "smooth stroke" option, which really freakin' helps things! I did use the pen tool for the outline of the hair, however.

Also, I noticed I sort of fudged up his right thumb, and there was a line of pixels on the top right from the footage, so I redrew the hand and cropped it a couple of pixels to eliminate the black line. I actually used a shot of Gohan's hand in the same position from another shot as a reference to make sure I had the finger proportions correct.

I posted the correction in place of the original in the previous post.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

User avatar
Attitudefan
I Live Here
Posts: 2963
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:51 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Camera Pans!

Post by Attitudefan » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:03 am

Metalwario64 wrote:I learned GIMP on my own through experimentation. :p

I do own a tablet, but I haven't used it lately because the last time I used it several months ago it started making my computer slow down. The additional art is drawn with my mouse, but looks decent because I use the "smooth stroke" option, which really freakin' helps things! I did use the pen tool for the outline of the hair, however.

Also, I noticed I sort of fudged up his right thumb, and there was a line of pixels on the top right from the footage, so I redrew the hand and cropped it a couple of pixels to eliminate the black line. I actually used a shot of Gohan's hand in the same position from another shot as a reference to make sure I had the finger proportions correct.

I posted the correction in place of the original in the previous post.
Damn, I didn't even realize you redrew the arm!

Not only can you emulate Maeda's designs to a tee, you can recreate parts of an image. :thumbup:
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

User avatar
SuicidalZerg
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 325
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:01 am
Location: Utah, United States.
Contact:

Re: Camera Pans!

Post by SuicidalZerg » Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:52 pm

Here's some more pans from my Dragon Box, specifically from DBZ Episode 2.
Nozawaberries commercial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mdqta3iB6ZM

Twitch stream: http://www.twitch.tv/suicidalzerg
Planet Minecraft skins: http://www.planetminecraft.com/member/son_gohan/
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/SC2SuicidalZerg
NA Battle tag: SuicidalZerg.158
MC username: SuicidalZerg

Post Reply