Dragon Box Volume Four (Pre-Orders available from RightStuf)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DbzFanboy
Beyond Newbie

Re: Dragon Box Volume Four (Pre-Orders available from RightStuf)

Post by DbzFanboy » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:12 pm

From the looks of it I wont be getting Dragon Box the movies until I'm 21. I think Funimation is moving at a snails pace with these sets. While I'll never lose interest in Dragon Ball, I'll hate to be in my mid 20's and still trying to collect these boxes. I do watch other anime's besides Dragon Ball.
FOREVER FORNEVER

Gotham22
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gotham22 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:54 pm

So FUNimation is at a slow pace with these DBZ dragon boxes. But they are moving fast with the season sets of DB.

It makes you wonder if they have any future releases planned for DB.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:41 am

Goku100xKamehameha wrote:The reason why FUNi want to release it on January, probably because of money!
I don't know what you mean by that. It's probably because FUNimation has a shit load of other properties to release, and a series they released over and over again isn't top priority. Sure, you could argue that DragonBall is a cash cow for FUNimation but I don't know how well the DragonBox sets are selling. And on top of that, DragonBall Z Kai is gonna be the version of DragonBall they're gonna be pushing for a while so it's almost weird they're releasing DBZ and DBZ Kai at the same time. And who knows, we might even get a DragonBox: The Movies set sometime between now and then. Let's see what happens at Otakon.
DbzFanboy wrote:While I'll never lose interest in Dragon Ball, I'll hate to be in my mid 20's and still trying to collect these boxes
Excuse me good sir, I'm almost 30 and I'm trying to collect these boxes! :lol:

Marcus Carr
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Marcus Carr » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:55 pm

Tanooki Kuribo wrote: Excuse me good sir, I'm almost 30 and I'm trying to collect these boxes! :lol:
I have you beaten by 10 years. I win/lose. :wink:
KRILLIN IN THE NAME OF...

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:01 pm

DbzFanboy wrote:While I'll never lose interest in Dragon Ball, I'll hate to be in my mid 20's and still trying to collect these boxes
How old are you, exactly...?

The average Daizenshuu EX visitor and superfan is... err... at least as old as what you're seemingly criticizing.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:13 pm

Dammit. I really wanted Dbox 5 before the end of this year for a video I'm working on.

Don't make me use my FUNi singles. :x

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:15 pm

Castor Troy wrote:Dammit. I really wanted Dbox 5 before the end of this year for a video I'm working on.

Don't make me use my FUNi singles. :x
You could see if someone who has the R2 singles has the footage you need and they can rip it in VLC or something.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

pjay
Beyond Newbie

Post by pjay » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:13 pm

Choice195 wrote:What if Dragonbox Vol.5 has the most extras and stuff? What if FUNimation is thinking about putting the Playdia OVA and the other TV Specials in that one Volume?
What if Funimation hadn't cropped and remastered the Dragon Ball Z so poorly into the Orange Boxes. Or worse yet what if they didn't care enough to fix there mistake and paid Toei for the Dragon Box masters.

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:37 pm

Please give us something nice at Otakon FUNi :mrgreen:

DbzFanboy
Beyond Newbie

Post by DbzFanboy » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:10 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
How old are you, exactly...?

The average Daizenshuu EX visitor and superfan is... err... at least as old as what you're seemingly criticizing.
No I wasn't criticizing the age bracket, please allow me to rephrase myself. What I meant was I would like to own the whole series a lot quicker than it seems its going to take. I'm 19 and at the rate of which the dragon boxes are releasing (assuming they release Dragon Ball and GT Dragon Boxes) I'll probably be in my mid 20's before I own the series. Sorry for the misunderstanding, hey man I'm going to be an anime fan for life so I would never say anything negative towards a Dragon Ball vet : )
FOREVER FORNEVER

Goku100xKamehameha
I Live Here

Post by Goku100xKamehameha » Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:26 pm

pjay wrote:
Choice195 wrote:What if Dragonbox Vol.5 has the most extras and stuff? What if FUNimation is thinking about putting the Playdia OVA and the other TV Specials in that one Volume?
What if Funimation hadn't cropped and remastered the Dragon Ball Z so poorly into the Orange Boxes. Or worse yet what if they didn't care enough to fix there mistake and paid Toei for the Dragon Box masters.
I think any further extras will only be included on the last box.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:05 pm

pjay wrote:
If FUNi hadn't messed up in the first place then the DBox wouldn't be a big deal. If they messed up and never got the DBox from Toei then I would've kept buying the R2 singles.
(they/she)

Goku100xKamehameha
I Live Here

Post by Goku100xKamehameha » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:13 pm

Kendamu wrote:
pjay wrote:
If FUNi hadn't messed up in the first place then the DBox wouldn't be a big deal. If they messed up and never got the DBox from Toei then I would've kept buying the R2 singles.
Really? as good as FUNi remastering can be, I think Dragon Box still have the upper hand because the masters that FUNi use was from the original Japanese broadcast, while Dragon Box uses the original film masters that all this time being stored on a cold storage and only use for Dragon Box and copying.

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:37 pm

Goku100xKamehameha wrote:Really? as good as FUNi remastering can be, I think Dragon Box still have the upper hand because the masters that FUNi use was from the original Japanese broadcast, while Dragon Box uses the original film masters that all this time being stored on a cold storage and only use for Dragon Box and copying.
You have stated a lot of wrong information in this post. Please, look things up before you post. You are repeating a bunch of lies and inaccuracies.

1) The FUNimation remastering is, according to those who have the knowledge to say so, not good. The colors are wrong, there are some occasional (and distracting) missing lines, the entire process cropped off a portion of the top and bottom of the image to create a widescreen presentation out of a fullscreen image. You can read more about it here (Cant find the link to the Daizenshuu EX article on the orange bricks). If its a matter of personal preference, that's another thing. Personally, I'm not bothered by the faults of the Orange Bricks as much as other people are, especially with the Dragon Boxes as a nice alternative. But by the way you worded your post, it comes across as if you are stating common knowledge. Like you don't know, or are misinformed about the general consensus (around here) on the issue.

2) FUNimation did not use masters from the original Japanese broadcast. They were given multi-generational copies of the original film-prints. You can read a little about FUNimation's source material in this article. The Dragon Box masters, as opposed to FUNimation's film-prints, are closer in generations to the master prints, but not the master prints exactly. As in, it's a copy, or a copy of a copy, rather than a copy of a copy of a copy of a copy. When you copy film print to another roll of film, that copy looses some fidelity and picture quality. So the more you copy, the worse each copy looks. Nobody knows exactly how far removed the film prints FUNi received back in 1995 were.

Edit: Here's a thread with some interesting color comparisons and a little info on Toei's film copies. Along with screencaps of VHS recordings of the original Japanese broadcast and scans of animation cels.
http://daizex.fanboyreview.net/viewtopi ... =7&t=10027

LOOK DON'T TOUCH! Remember it is against the rules to necro-post. We don't need to ruin a relic with your constant need to repeat other people and say things that are untrue.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:51 pm

Goku100xKamehameha wrote: Really? as good as FUNi remastering can be, I think Dragon Box still have the upper hand because the masters that FUNi use was from the original Japanese broadcast, while Dragon Box uses the original film masters that all this time being stored on a cold storage and only use for Dragon Box and copying.
Yes, I know how they're made. Thank you.

Look at the Green Bricks and the Blue Bricks! They're done well enough that we're not demanding the Dragonboxes of them. We want them, but the world isn't going to end if we have the Blue Bricks and Green Bricks only. The Double Features are a similar case. The exact same sentiments would be shared about Z if they did Z right from the beginning. We'd be like, "Having the Dragonbox would be awesome, but FUNimation did a good job with the Orange Bricks. I can go with those and be happy."

sigh
(they/she)

Vegeta1984
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vegeta1984 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:28 am

I'm really hoping we do get an announcement of Dragon Box: The Movies. I'm loving the quality of the Dragon Boxes..... I just really hope that we do eventually get Dragon Boxes of Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball GT.... It just looks awkard the Re-Mastered Seasons next to the Dragon Boxes....
XBox Live GamerTag - PSYCHO50501
http://www.facebook.com/daniel.j.williams3
BATMAN ARKHAM CITY - October 18, 2011

DbzFanboy
Beyond Newbie

Post by DbzFanboy » Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:43 am

Vegeta1984 wrote:I'm really hoping we do get an announcement of Dragon Box: The Movies. I'm loving the quality of the Dragon Boxes..... I just really hope that we do eventually get Dragon Boxes of Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball GT.... It just looks awkard the Re-Mastered Seasons next to the Dragon Boxes....
Don't hold your breathe on it though because I think the Dragon Boxes aren't selling too good. My best buy said they don't even carry them anymore and they are at dirt cheap prices everywhere. I really pray I'm wrong but only time will tell.
FOREVER FORNEVER

Goku100xKamehameha
I Live Here

Post by Goku100xKamehameha » Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:54 am

On Amazon, the Season Sets always on top 3 DB home release.

Vegeta1984
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vegeta1984 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:21 am

Ehhh, oh well. Guess I might as well start picking up the blue and green bricks..... As long as we get all the Z boxes I'll be happy....
XBox Live GamerTag - PSYCHO50501
http://www.facebook.com/daniel.j.williams3
BATMAN ARKHAM CITY - October 18, 2011

Choice195
Banned

Post by Choice195 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:45 am

Goku100xKamehameha wrote:On Amazon, the Season Sets always on top 3 DB home release.
What's 2nd and 1st?