The Dragon Ball Wiki

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SSJGoku93

The Dragon Ball Wiki

Post by SSJGoku93 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:18 pm

Hey how's it going guys?
So I'm an administrator over on the Dragon Ball Wiki... and I know how bad a reputation the site seems to get from you guys and the guys from Kanzentai etc.,and that is perfectly understandable. However, we are currently trying are absolute best to fix the problems of inaccuracy's, fan terms, and speculations as much as possible. I joined the Wiki in 2008, and it was dreadful then, horribly dreadful. Now, we have a team of dedicated users trying their very best to fix it, and you have to admit it has gotten better no? I simply wanted to know what you guys think of the current improvements, what can be done further to alleviate the problems, and even to ask for your help as well, in whatever form it may be! Maintaining Wiki's are different in the sense that anyone can edit them, so it always is a bit more of a challenge. Hopefully some positive feedback can come from this, and continuous improvements can be made! We are all fans of Dragon Ball in the end, so why not work together to assure truthful resources about our beloved series?

Thanks guys!
"Hurting innocent people is something I don't tolerate!" - Goku

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Re: The Dragon Ball Wiki

Post by Kid Buu » Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:34 pm

I think for the quotes you should say it the quote is from the dubbed version or the original Japanese version, that may help avoid confusion.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:42 pm

I'm not really bothered by fan/dub terms as much as some people. It's the accuracy of the information I care about, since that's the whole point of looking something up on a wiki. As such, the only advice I can think of is to make sure all the information is accurate and has good citations, so people can see where it comes from and can easily check it for themselves. Some [citation needed]s on the stuff that can't be verified goes a long way, too.
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:56 pm

I am bothered by fan/dub terms, because, like you say, Bussani, it's the accuracy of the information I care about, and neither of those are.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 3/4/24!)
Current Episode: A Hero's Clone - Dragon Ball Dissection: Goku's Side Story! Siu Xing Qiu is a Testament to Courage

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:03 am

Demanding they use the original names instead of the dub names/fan names is a little nitpicky though, don't you think? Either way, you're still getting the exact same info.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:05 am

First of all, I'm not demanding anything, so please don't make it out like I am. The guy asked for feedback. I'm giving it to him. And while dub terms might be considered reliable and factual from a certain area of the fanbase, there is absolutely no legitimate argument for "fan terms" from anybody. No matter where you're coming from, fan-created terms and theories have no place in an encyclopedic, "scholarly" resource.

EDIT: A bit of clarification: Fan-created terms and theories have no place being presented as any kind of fact in an encyclopedic, "scholarly" resource. They should be minimized to near non-existance in the first place, but if they HAVE to be there at all, they HAVE to be clearly labeled as speculation.
Last edited by Gaffer Tape on Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 3/4/24!)
Current Episode: A Hero's Clone - Dragon Ball Dissection: Goku's Side Story! Siu Xing Qiu is a Testament to Courage

SonEric84
Banned

Post by SonEric84 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:06 am

Well, at the very least they could specify between what is a dub only name and what is from the original material. In fact, putting both in there would be extra helpful for fans of both versions.
Trans rights, now!

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:09 am

Gaffer Tape wrote:First of all, I'm not demanding anything, so please don't make it out like I am. The guy asked for feedback. I'm giving it to him. And while dub terms might be considered reliable and factual from a certain area of the fanbase, there is absolutely no legitimate argument for "fan terms" from anybody. No matter where you're coming from, fan-created terms and theories have no place in an encyclopedic, "scholarly" resource.

EDIT: A bit of clarification: Fan-created terms and theories have no place being presented as any kind of fact in an encyclopedic, "scholarly" resource. They should be minimized to near non-existance in the first place, but if they HAVE to be there at all, they HAVE to be clearly labeled as speculation.
Well, I didn't say fan theories, but whatever. Just fan-terms for stuff that don't necessarily have a name and would be hard to identify otherwise.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

SSJGoku93

Post by SSJGoku93 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:12 am

As far as dub terms go, the community took a vote while creating our Manual of Style (something all Wiki's create and follow) that we would use English dub terms when applicable (as we are the English wiki), for example having just "Goku" rather than "Son Goku". However, in the article Goku's original Japanese name is stated as such, as well as a list of alternate names he had been given throughout the years.

As far as fan terms, we have shortened these down to the point where I am unable to find any, but the search continues. jjgp1112, you mentioned terms for stuff that do not have a "true name", a prime example we used was Frieza's organization, in which we named it "Planet Trade Organization", as Krillin does refer to it as the "planet trade" at one point, so this helps to identify what it is (we also note it as a term used to identify the organization). I really appreciate the feedback guys, helps a lot!

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:15 am

RE: jjpg1112

Yes, but remember that DB Wiki-created terms like "World Trade Organization" or whatever it was have been passed off on these very boards by people who came across the term there and mistakenly assumed it was fact and actually used somewhere in the series.

I'm certainly no expert on their site, so I can't answer his question about whether or not there have been noticeable improvements. Maybe someone a bit more astute can answer that. And again, I'm not making demands. The crew at their site have every right in the world to make their Wiki exactly what they want it to be. But he's right when he says it's no secret that a lot of posters here don't consider it to be a hugely credible source of information. I mean, when there's a huge thread over the way about the very topic and DaizEX's and Kanzentai's joint efforts of making their own DB web encyclopedia from the ground up, it should be pretty obvious.

But I hope he finds what he's looking for here, and I would like to be whatever help I can be (if any--I have no idea if I have absolutely anything of value to offer).

EDIT: Haha, he pointed out the very same fan term I did at the exact same time I was writing it. :D

SSJGoku93

Post by SSJGoku93 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:26 am

Gaffer Tape wrote:RE: jjpg1112

Yes, but remember that DB Wiki-created terms like "World Trade Organization" or whatever it was have been passed off on these very boards by people who came across the term there and mistakenly assumed it was fact and actually used somewhere in the series.

I'm certainly no expert on their site, so I can't answer his question about whether or not there have been noticeable improvements. Maybe someone a bit more astute can answer that. And again, I'm not making demands. The crew at their site have every right in the world to make their Wiki exactly what they want it to be. But he's right when he says it's no secret that a lot of posters here don't consider it to be a hugely credible source of information. I mean, when there's a huge thread over the way about the very topic and DaizEX's and Kanzentai's joint efforts of making their own DB web encyclopedia from the ground up, it should be pretty obvious.

But I hope he finds what he's looking for here, and I would like to be whatever help I can be (if any--I have no idea if I have absolutely anything of value to offer).

EDIT: Haha, he pointed out the very same fan term I did at the exact same time I was writing it. :D
Yes that was one bad example of our mistake, we failed to note that was a term we used to give the group a name. We've since corrected that to the best of our ability.

MisterFlashdude
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MisterFlashdude » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:18 am

SSJGoku93 wrote:As far as dub terms go, the community took a vote while creating our Manual of Style (something all Wiki's create and follow) that we would use English dub terms when applicable (as we are the English wiki), for example having just "Goku" rather than "Son Goku". However, in the article Goku's original Japanese name is stated as such, as well as a list of alternate names he had been given throughout the years.
There are other sources of English Dragon Ball aside from Funimation's dub. I haven't even watched the anime in close to a decade; I think it has painful pacing and time has not been kind to the animation quality. However, I read the English manga quite frequently and he's definitely Son Goku there. I'd consider it more appropriate to claim you are the "Funimation-inclined wiki" as opposed to the "English one".

SSJGoku93

Post by SSJGoku93 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:22 am

MisterFlashdude wrote:
SSJGoku93 wrote:As far as dub terms go, the community took a vote while creating our Manual of Style (something all Wiki's create and follow) that we would use English dub terms when applicable (as we are the English wiki), for example having just "Goku" rather than "Son Goku". However, in the article Goku's original Japanese name is stated as such, as well as a list of alternate names he had been given throughout the years.
There are other sources of English Dragon Ball aside from Funimation's dub. I haven't even watched the anime in close to a decade; I think it has painful pacing and time has not been kind to the animation quality. However, I read the English manga quite frequently and he's definitely Son Goku there. I'd consider it more appropriate to claim you are the "Funimation-inclined wiki" as opposed to the "English one".
You are mainly right, we do follow the FUNimation names and the anime more so than the manga, a majority of our editors are American after all.

MisterFlashdude
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MisterFlashdude » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:27 am

SSJGoku93 wrote:You are mainly right, we do follow the FUNimation names and the anime more so than the manga, a majority of our editors are American after all.
I'm not sure I follow. Are you implying the manga isn't available in America or that, as Americans, you don't like to read?

Blue
Advanced Regular

Post by Blue » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:53 am

To be fair if they go by the VIZ manga then they start using Djin,Vegerot and the H word and people complain anyway.

As for the wiki itself there's just a LOT of worthless fan terminology,fan theories and unneeded trivia that clutters up everything. Stuff like "When General Blue uses his ultimate attack against 3rd form Freeza it resembles a scene from a movie!" isn't necessary. Mentioning of cluttered the wiki is very messy when you start getting deeper into it. When you go into the episode guide episode summaries will be very poorly written and bullet points will be in the wrong section. As someone else said, demand citations. That stupid "Piccolo was supposed to turn MAJIN!" trivia point has been up there forever and that is blatantly false and often pointed at as a prime example of how inaccurate the DB wiki is.

I can't phrase my third point without sounding like a purist stereotype of a Daizexer so I'll try to make it as brief and as nice as possible.You guys go by the Funimation script meaning you get all the inaccurate dialogue and terminology that goes along with it. The wiki will never be looked upon very fondly by a good portion of people who enjoy the original version because of that.

You have every right to do with your wiki what you wish and I hope you have the best of luck.
Herms wrote: The DB wikai lists “Rolie Buu” as one of this form’s alternate name, though I have no clue who calls him that.

Makaioshin
Advanced Regular

Post by Makaioshin » Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:05 am

This probably isn't your greatest concerned but your pages are way too cluttered. I don't see the point in there being so many quotes and pictures on one page. Not to mention the trivia section which is a long list of random facts, useless information, and some false information.
And what do you plan on doing about out of date dub names, like "Destructo Disk" and "Special Beam Canon"?
Last edited by Makaioshin on Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Blue
Advanced Regular

Post by Blue » Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:07 am

Makaioshin wrote: Not to mention the trivia section which is a long list of random facts, useless information, and some false information.
Oy, talk about a much shorter and nicer way of phrasing that. Thank you. :lol:
Herms wrote: The DB wikai lists “Rolie Buu” as one of this form’s alternate name, though I have no clue who calls him that.

UristtheGreat
Beyond Newbie

Post by UristtheGreat » Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:08 am

You have loads of unnecessary pages. I saw a page about the "War on Rygol 7", that never happened at all, just offhandedly mentioned. That's really sloppy.
LeprikanGT wrote:...I LOVE that we are getting the Dragonboxes, but the JP ones are HUGE ones are noticably taller and the dicks dont overlap.

Taku128
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Taku128 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:13 am

­

Blue
Advanced Regular

Post by Blue » Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:17 am

UristtheGreat wrote:You have loads of unnecessary pages. I saw a page about the "War on Rygol 7", that never happened at all, just offhandedly mentioned. That's really sloppy.
Taku128 wrote:http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Ginyu_Bowling_Team

More articles like this please.
Lot of good points coming up here, it's this type of thing that's stopping your project from even being a well put together dub exclusive wiki. Sometimes less is more.