DragonBall: Season 5 DVD Set - Dissection\Discussion

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

DragonBall: Season 5 DVD Set - Dissection\Discussion

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:28 pm

So, I was in Best Buy today for no particular reason and I was looking through the anime section and saw season five was already being sold here! I was gonna wait for Otakon to buy it but, I couldn't resist.

Back of the box:

DragonBall Z Tenkaichi -promotional card:

Some book scans:

Some menu screens:

And lastly, some screen shots:

So there you have it. No DragonBall related trailers and the wrong opening and closings are still being used. :(

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Re: DragonBall: Season 5 DVD Set - Dissection\Discussion

Post by LeprikanGT » Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:28 pm

Cant wait to get this Tuesday.

I HATE when they dont have DB related stuff on the last disc, they could sue that space for actual extras. I doubt anyone wants trailers for shows theyve never heard of.

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:33 pm

Wow, I don't have anything to compare it to necessarily, but those shots look absolutely horrible... almost as bad as the original Z singles. Especially the shot of Piccolo & Goku.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

Akira
Regular

Post by Akira » Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:14 pm

I picked up this set too on Friday (I work at Best Buy). I've actually been quite impressed with the quality actually. It is much better than the old DB 2-disc sets by far. Not Dragonbox quality, but better than the Z orange bricks by a large margin in terms of picture quality. This is my favorite saga, and I've waited a long time for this release. Even if you aren't a big fan of the original series, this saga in particular is more a direct tie in to the Z series than anything before it. Some of the best fights in the entire series (by that I mean DB + DBZ together) are contained in this set. Plus, some of the best animated episodes ever are contained in this set. No matter what type of Z fan you are (Orange bricks, Dragonbox, Kai), this set directly explains many key story elements and character motivations and carries over to any of those seamlessly.
"Of" =/= "Have"

Contractions:
-Should have = Should've
-Could have = Could've
-Would have = Would've

The heck does "should of" even mean anyway? Think about what those two words mean individually, and then try to read them back to back in a sentence and make sense of it. Are you forming a prepositional phrase, is "should" a part of a larger grouping, or are you just typing random words based on how you think you hear them used verbally? Perhaps take a moment to contemplate this, and see if it becomes as mind jarring for you to look at as it does for me..

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:10 am

I keep hearing about different openings and closings.... so there is actually a second opening and closing in Dragon Ball?

On another note, I'm more glad that this release is coming to an end, so we can look towards the future a little more.
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

BluezaBladeNZ
Regular

Post by BluezaBladeNZ » Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:16 am

Kingdom Heartless wrote:I keep hearing about different openings and closings.... so there is actually a second opening and closing in Dragon Ball?

On another note, I'm more glad that this release is coming to an end, so we can look towards the future a little more.
Yes, there's two opening and four ending animations in the series.

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:17 am

This makes me want a Dragon Box release twice as much now.... I can't believe I've never seen these. :?
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:33 am

Kingdom Heartless wrote:This makes me want a Dragon Box release twice as much now.... I can't believe I've never seen these. :?
They're on YouTube:

Second Opening: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jZCiX-L_TI

Second Ending: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3h-RE3EbMgA

Third Ending: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_zo-Lsb1uY

Fourth Ending: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGtlrFo2kL0

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:42 am

Thanks! Can't believe it took me so many years to see that. :?

DbzFanboy
Beyond Newbie

Post by DbzFanboy » Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:01 am

I can't wait to get this set so I will complete my bricks set with the double features and focus more on the dragon boxes.
FOREVER FORNEVER

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:12 am

The booklets have had notoriously bad art since the beginning of the Z seasons run, but it's a shame the art seems to be becoming more prevalent in the menus...

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:40 am

What exactly is Funimation Green? Does that just mean they are using more environmentally friendly packaging?

PuppetDoctor
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PuppetDoctor » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:18 am

Kingdom Heartless wrote:What exactly is Funimation Green? Does that just mean they are using more environmentally friendly packaging?
Yes, it is environmentally friendly packaging. You can kind of tell from the difference of the way the packaging feels from the DBZ/DBGT bricks.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/convent ... ertainment

Fourth paragraph of the article.

jordanator
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by jordanator » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:33 am

I can't wait to get this. I'm still waiting on my Blue bricks to arrive, but this in particular looks great!
PS3 PSN: Jordanator
XBOX 360 GAMERTAG: J0RDANAT0R
nathantheguitarist wrote: I will punch children.

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:55 am

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:03 am

I decided a while ago I would wait a few months after the last DB Blue Brick to wait for a Dragon Box announcement (to see if there would be one, I mean). If a few months passes and no announcement comes, I'll cave in and get these. I don't mind the visual quality, it's just that the Dragon Boxes would be better and I'd rather not spend my money on the Blue Bricks if they're just going to release Dragon Boxes for this.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:05 am

LeprikanGT wrote:I HATE when they dont have DB related stuff on the last disc, they could sue that space for actual extras. I doubt anyone wants trailers for shows theyve never heard of.
The point of trailers is for promotion. They're expecting you to have never heard of it. The trailers are how you hear about it.

Watching the set, the filler kind of threw me for a loop. Didn't expect this much.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Great Saiyaman I
Regular

Post by Great Saiyaman I » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:19 am

How long is the book? What does it have other than character profiles?
-The Great Saiyaman
Herms wrote:
Nex Carnifex wrote:Herms can you translate the whole thing
No.

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:21 am

What's with the video quality?! It looks identical to the quality of the old singles! Especially with these three shots:

My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

Goku100xKamehameha
I Live Here

Post by Goku100xKamehameha » Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:31 pm

Great Saiyaman I wrote:How long is the book? What does it have other than character profiles?
List of the episodes and the back have an explanation about the transfer.