DragonBall: Season 5 DVD Set - Dissection\Discussion

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Re: DragonBall: Season 5 DVD Set - Dissection\Discussion

Post by SonGokuGT » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:21 am

Me four! Ideally all of the movies should be redubbed for consistency with the TV series although it's VERY highly unlikely.

DbzFanboy
Beyond Newbie

Post by DbzFanboy » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:55 am

They might not bring her back because only one of the Dragon Ball movies has her in it so Funimation probably doesn't care about consistency in their Dragon Ball movies.
FOREVER FORNEVER

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:24 pm

SonGokuGT wrote:Me four! Ideally all of the movies should be redubbed for consistency with the TV series although it's VERY highly unlikely.
Is it really though? FUNimation brought in the original actors from Neon Gennisis Evangelion to play the parts in the movies. When they did license rescues, FUNimation put the original dubs on their releases rather than recording new ones. They know the importance of remaining consistent with what people remember. They are considering Dragon Ball Z Kai a new show, in name, trademark, and treatment. As for the replacement cast, FUNimation has said this before: the original Dragon Ball Z is always going to be there. The original voice actors will always be a part of "that series." Dragon Ball Z Kai is a different show, in marketing, name, and treatment (even though they definitely took the other series into consideration during production).

Let's take a look at Dragon Ball now. Dragon Ball Movie 1 is still a part of that same series. It's not Dragon Ball Kai movie one; it's Dragon Ball movie one. It's part of the Dragon Ball series. Same name. Same Trademark. Same license. It is not a new show. Its a show that played on Toonami ten years ago. It's a show that I and countless other kids ran home from the bus stop every day so that I didn't miss a second. Goku is a character that is voiced by the same voice actress almost through the entire "Dragon Ball" series.

And again, the only parts Colleen Clinkenbeard recorded were parts with little-to-no dialog. I think it looks like it would be a nuisance for FUNimation to bring in a voice actress for a few seconds of grunts when they can easily have someone (already on the payroll) imitate the voice everyone knows and loves. Stephanie Nadolny is credited for Goku in the recent Dragon Ball Origins 2 game.

I have faith that FUNimation at least knows these things. I hope and pray that she is brought in to record Dragon Ball Movies 1 - 3.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:23 pm

At the risk of sounding like I'm stating the obvious...has anyone tried contacting Nadolny or Clinkenbeard to comment on the status of child Gokû in all future products (including the in-house dub of The Legend of Shen Long)?
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

SilverPlaqueVII
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SilverPlaqueVII » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:34 pm

SonGokuGT wrote:Me four! Ideally all of the movies should be redubbed for consistency with the TV series although it's VERY highly unlikely.
I like it. With the last brick released, I'd say we can collect 5 DB Bricks, 9 DBZ Bricks, and 2 DBGT Bricks from the beginning to the end of the series, one way or another. :lol:
Jelo Gutierrez Cantos (Dr. Fresh)
I'M GONNA BREAK YOU, LIKE A KIT-KAT BAR!! - TFS Goku. (have a Break, have a Kit Kat Freeza!)

-------------------------------------

Silver ShenronTransit Archive Projects
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Facebook | X (Twitter) | Tumblr | Youtube (1) (2) | Flickr | Instagram | Threads

DbzFanboy
Beyond Newbie

Post by DbzFanboy » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:22 pm

I'm hoping that Tiffany Vollmer comes back too because she's English dub Bulma to me.
FOREVER FORNEVER

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:44 pm

DbzFanboy wrote:I'm hoping that Tiffany Vollmer comes back too because she's English dub Bulma to me.
Ah yes, forgot about this.

Hey FUNimation: FOR THE LOVE OF JESUS AND ALL THAT IS GOOD, DO NOT RECAST BULMA, ESPECIALLY IF IT'S MONICA RIAL.

That is all.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:17 pm

Monica Rial is by far the superior Bulma to Vollmer. The more of her the better. It's good to have somebody with acting talent in the role.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Cowboy Dev
Beyond Newbie

Post by Cowboy Dev » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:24 pm

Colleen Clinkenbeard is by far my favorite voice actress at FUNimation (With Monica Rial at a close second), so if she became the new Kid Goku, I by all means would be a happy camper. :D
(Nadolny was pretty good as Goku, but I was never in love with her performance like some of you were and still do.)

@penguintruth - This. The more Rial and the less Vollmer, the better.

@Innagadadavida - Not to sound like a know it all, but FUNimation didn't get the entire cast back for Rebuild of Evangelion. Only Spike Spencer as Shinji Ikari and Allison Keith-Shipp as Misato Kitsaragi returned as their characters respectively. (Well unless you include Gendo Ikari, but he was recasted during the ADV dub...)
A Dragon Ball/Urusei Yatsura crossover would be awesome.
Having Toshio Furukawa balance between Piccolo and Ataru would be hilarious.

DbzFanboy
Beyond Newbie

Post by DbzFanboy » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:18 pm

If only it were a perfect world and Funimation could release two dubs to satisfy all parties.
FOREVER FORNEVER

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:47 pm

Ah, if only it were a perfect world and nobody desired dubs of foreign language products at all.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:53 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:Ah, if only it were a perfect world and nobody desired dubs of foreign language products at all.
Well, now... That's just silly. Dubs are awesome.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:57 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:Ah, if only it were a perfect world and nobody desired dubs of foreign language products at all.
I would kill myself if I were warped to a world like that.
Cold World (Fanfic)

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:49 pm

Hey, that is my honest to God opinion. I really do wish that people didn't have a compulsion to have to have the actors replaced with new ones that happen to speak their own language. That's just how I feel. It's as valid an opinion as people who prefer Clinkenbeard to Nadolny or Nadolny to Clinkenbeard or Henderson to Nadolny. Wanting to commit suicide over not having English dubs of foreign products seems like a bit of a silly thing to die over, but, believe me, I'm really in no position to judge.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:07 pm

Well, I was just exaggerating.
Cold World (Fanfic)

.:PoetikaL:.
Regular

Post by .:PoetikaL:. » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:09 pm

I understand that everyone has their opinion, some are more serious about it, like jjgp thinking Nadolny is better than Clinkenbeard, or penguintruth and his full on hate of Sean Schemmel's acting. Everyone has their own opinion, but people on here anymore are throwing stuff that everyone should agree with, like the FUNi dub is the best ever, Peter Kalamis is "the" Goku, Masako Nozawa has no equal... blah blah blah. Wanna know what I think? I think Clinkenbeard is a great Gohan, better than Nadolny, and if they put her as Goku, then by all means I have no problem with that, but I prefer the original Japanese verision over the dub now. To me, Sean Schemmel in the FUNi dub is, to me, the definitive English Goku. He definitely made it his own and was able to capture who Goku is from the original, fun loving, serious, and an overall good guy. Masako Nozawa is one of the best seiyuu's Japan has ever seen, and I think her Goku is awesome, but she's not the best ever in the industry.

That's my opinion on things that have been thrown all over in this forum, and I'm not forcing down anyone's throat. One thing though is that I agree with Gaffer Tape's opinion on keeping things in the original form (original language with everything left in), that way none of this "YOU'RE WRONG, DUB IS BETTER!!! GOKU'S VA SUCKS FROM FUNI!!!" would get so damn ridiculous. Dubs are put in for convenience and understanding from the original, with some things changed for reasons, and Z Kai has done a good job for the most part in doing that, love it or hate it, it's gonna stay until it's finished. This is a forum, make opinions, but don't force them on people. Let them do their own thing.

[End Rant]
My Deviantart: http://poetikal.deviantart.com
My Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheycallmeBrod

"I beat Toguro, and after that I assumed everything else would just be a big ol' piece of cake. And then some rogue Spirit Detective has to go and open up the freakin' gates of Hell!" -Yusuke Urameshi

I think Tom Dubois of "The Boondocks" said it best for me when FUNimation announced the release of the domestic Dragonbox, after buying all of the Season Sets: "MOTHERFUCK!!! SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT, PRICKS, SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIIIIIIIT!"

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:00 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:
I would kill myself if I were warped to a world like that.
No, you wouldn't, because in that world, no one desires dubs of any kind.

The "perfect world" is where we all have amazing vocal and emotional range, and bad actors don't exist.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:59 pm

Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:
jjgp1112 wrote:
Innagadadavida wrote:Dragon Ball Movie One is coming out in December, I believe. Hopefully with a new dub. Hopefully with Stephanie Nadolny as Goku. 8)
It better. If I have to hear anymore Colleen Clinkenbeard as DBZ characters I'm going to break stuff.
Me three. Stephaine Nadolny is English Kid Gokū.
Meh, it's always sounded exactly like her Gohan voice, to me. Which makes me wish I didn't have ears when I listen to it. :D
Last edited by Chibi Mystic Gohan on Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
君と再会ったとき 子供のころ大切に想っていた景色を思い出したんだ
僕と踊ってくれないか 光と影の Winding Road いまでも彼に夢中なの?

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:04 pm

Chibi Mystic Gohan wrote: Meh, it's always sounded exactly like her Gohan voice, to me. Which makes
me wish I didn't have ears when I listen to it. :D
It's actually pretty different from her Gohan voice. It has more naivety and a sense of obliviousness in the voice.
Cold World (Fanfic)

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:07 pm

Maybe the performance is different, but the acting is terrible. And her voice is just really annoying. Like, nails on a chalkboard annoying. What's there to like?
君と再会ったとき 子供のころ大切に想っていた景色を思い出したんだ
僕と踊ってくれないか 光と影の Winding Road いまでも彼に夢中なの?