Stereotyping

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Perfect
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Stereotyping

Post by Perfect » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:38 pm

Piccolo Daimao wrote:Oh, and a stereotype that's more to do with me and the people I hang around with than in the general fandom: that the original Dragon Ball is basically hentai. It's not a good idea to bring in the first volume of Dragon Ball into school with you and let your friends look at Bulma showering naked, especially when, for some, it's their first impression of the series.
The only manga I've ever brought to school before were Bobobo, Yu Yu Hakusho and a censored edition of volume 33 of Dragon Ball. Upon reading Bobobo, there were some people behind me that were rather disgusted with the colorful images. Other than that nobody, friends included, really seemed to care. However, your comment did remind me of something I came across the other day:
http://www.amazon.com/Naruto-Vol-1-Masa ... addOneStar
The first review to be more specific.
Fox666 wrote:It seems you have pissed a lot of people on this forum, and I am quite sure they would like to call you stupid and say that's the designated adjectives for you. But they don't do that because of there are rules in this community.

Budogenkai
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Budogenkai » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:39 pm

I would say the usual comments that I get which are:

"All they do in that show is grunt and fight, there's no story"

And i've had people that i've gotten to try and watch the Japanese version, but they all say:

"The voices suck and Goku sounds like a girl"
PSN: Genkaidomo
360: Bhuda64

http://www.youtube.com/BurritoNchips

anyone know where I can get a good cheap mic?

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:53 pm

"I don't like the way they look" (drawing style)
While the beginning of the series does look a bit dated compared to modern anime, it's something we've grown to appreciate. I can see how a casual fan would be turned off.

"They sound like they're trying to take a dump"
I don't know what kind of dumps you take, but you might want to get that checked...

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:53 pm

The top hated for me would be "the staring"(filler),"only fighting", and "sound like girls".

The "staring" is true for DBZ since it was terribly paced, but it truly irks me when they even think the manga is like that. But to even make it more hated for is when a Naruto, Inuyasha, or Bleach whose series are even more badly paced.

The only "fighting" is because that's not what DB is only about. It's about the adventure, the comedy, and the characters (but the fighting is good too).

Now the "sound like girls" part is really annoying. Especially for Goku. Goku is supposed to be a hick man-child. Not some knight in shining armor.
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

Perfect

Post by Perfect » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:59 pm

AgitoZ wrote:The top hated for me would be "the staring"(filler),"only fighting", and "sound like girls".

The "staring" is true for DBZ since it was terribly paced, but it truly irks me when they even think the manga is like that. But to even make it more hated for is when a Naruto, Inuyasha, or Bleach whose series are even more badly paced.

The only "fighting" is because that's not what DB is only about. It's about the adventure, the comedy, and the characters (but the fighting is good too).

Now the "sound like girls" part is really annoying. Especially for Goku. Goku is supposed to be a hick man-child. Not some knight in shining armor.
Care to elaborate on what was terribly paced?
Fox666 wrote:It seems you have pissed a lot of people on this forum, and I am quite sure they would like to call you stupid and say that's the designated adjectives for you. But they don't do that because of there are rules in this community.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:15 pm

I hate when people say "Goku is white." shit pisses me off, i mean the guy isn't even Japanese but a fucking alien. Also I hate when people say it has no story.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:31 am

Cowboy Dev wrote:The Japanese voices sounding like girls stereotype has always bothered me. If Toshio Furukawa and Ryo Horikawa sound like females, I don't know what a man sounds like then.
Yeah, I was reading the comments on a Youtube video showing Goku and Vegeta's famous beam battle, and some guy was like "omg why do they sound like fucking girls?"

Ryo Horikawa sounds pretty manly to me...
君と再会ったとき 子供のころ大切に想っていた景色を思い出したんだ
僕と踊ってくれないか 光と影の Winding Road いまでも彼に夢中なの?

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:17 am

That the story takes ages to get anywhere. Oh, wait......

PuppetDoctor
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PuppetDoctor » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:22 am

I hate when people say "Goku sounds like a girl" or "all the Japanese Voice Actors have high pitched voices."

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:05 am

Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:That the story takes ages to get anywhere. Oh, wait......
Just show em Kai, that should shut the haters up.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:33 pm

People that say stuff like "DBZ is for kids, and you should not watch it at your age", or "DBZ is not a kids show, and it's a hardcore adult show due to the blood, and all the fighting".
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:47 pm

And BLEACH is still in the same damn current arc for... how many years now?!
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

Blue
Advanced Regular

Post by Blue » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:59 pm

To be fair just because one shonen has terrible pacing doesn't negate the fact that the other does to. That's one stereotype I'll fully support. The pacing in the DBZ anime is absolutely terrible.
Last edited by Blue on Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Herms wrote: The DB wikai lists “Rolie Buu” as one of this form’s alternate name, though I have no clue who calls him that.

Deep Thought
Beyond Newbie

Post by Deep Thought » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:05 pm

While I agree that some of these stereotypes are trite and nonsensical, I find that I share the sentiments of the haters on this one; the anime is so drawn out that it is almost unwatchable at times. Most of the retorts against that point that I've seen are fairly weak. Regarding VegetoEX's (among other members' points on this matter), it's not just western audience's perception of episodes and continuity, because, while Japanese syndicated cartoons focus on a linear and continuous serialization compared to western cartoons, that still doesn't change the fact that Dragon Ball Z is absurdly padded even when it is compared to other Japanese cartoons. For instance, the final acts (I.E the most important moments) of Elfen Lied and Death Note were all in the span of one and half to two episodes (depends on your point of view). A fight in Elfen Lied also would last for more than half an episode, even though they were much more tactical than those of Dragon Ball Z (where it very quickly turned into "I'm STRONGER THAN U SO I WIN," this is only applicable to Dragon Ball Z). However, Elfen Lied isn't a fighting series, so it might not serve as the best comparison. So, lets instead use Rurouni Kenshin (although that is more of a story about redemption rather than a fighting anime, but whatever), as an example. Most fights in that anime last about an episode, maybe a little more (the 3 episode long fight between Kenshin and Sojiro is an exception, because the episodes have a very long and detailed flashback that is longer than the fight itself). The biggest and most important fight in the series is five episodes long, and half of the story was building up to it. Compare that to Dragon Ball Z, the Raditz fight spans over 4 episodes, the Vegeta vs Goku fight spans 6 episodes, the Goku vs Cell fights spans for 4 episodes and the Gotenks vs Buu fight spans for 5 episodes. These are just the minor fights, the Gohan vs Cell fight is 11 episodes long and the Kid Buu fight is 10 episodes long. The "true form" Freeza fight is really bad in this case; it's 37 episodes long. That's just atrocious.

These are the fights, which are supposed to be adrenaline-filled, intense and quick. I don't want to even talk about the non-fight filler, besides, I've made my point. Telling others to watch Dragon Ball Kai is invalid because, two years ago, Dragon Ball Kai didn't exist. Also, all the episodes haven't been formated, yet. In other words, if I want to watch the Buu Arc, I'll have to do it with the crap regular anime.

@Feminine-sound characters; I think that Masako Nozawa is an amazing voice actor, but she doesn't sound anything at all like I'd imagine Goku to sound like. Toei seems to have missed the point; Goku's supposed to have the mentality of a child. Physically, he's a big, strong man. His childish naïvety and personality should be behaviorally linked rather than physically linked. I think it'd be hilarious to hear a adult, manly voice(although his voice shouldn't be too deep, don't get me wrong) say the things that Goku says, though it'd be situational. :)

But yeah, people who say that the entirety of the Dragon Ball cast sounds like females are shortsighted, retarded or just desperately looking for things to hate (though that'd be weird, since there are plenty of things to hate about Dragon Ball if you'd really want to).

EDIT: Before people say anything, Bleach, Naruto, and One Piece can shove it, I know nothing about these animes because they've never appealed to me.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:42 pm

SHINOBI-03 wrote:
And BLEACH is still in the same damn current arc for... how many years now?!
If you wish to get technical, and speak for only the anime adaptations, Bleach does a fairly good job of keeping it's filler self-contained, to the point where you can literally skip episodes and just watch canon material. Dragon Ball Z laces it's source with all kinds of time-wasting doodads and filler thingamajigs.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Perfect

Post by Perfect » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:45 pm

Deep Thought wrote:@Feminine-sound characters; I think that Masako Nozawa is an amazing voice actor, but she doesn't sound anything at all like I'd imagine Goku to sound like. Toei seems to have missed the point; Goku's supposed to have the mentality of a child. Physically, he's a big, strong man. His childish naïvety and personality should be behaviorally linked rather than physically linked. I think it'd be hilarious to hear a adult, manly voice(although his voice shouldn't be too deep, don't get me wrong) say the things that Goku says, though it'd be situational. :)

But yeah, people who say that the entirety of the Dragon Ball cast sounds like females are shortsighted, retarded or just desperately looking for things to hate (though that'd be weird, since there are plenty of things to hate about Dragon Ball if you'd really want to).

EDIT: Before people say anything, Bleach, Naruto, and One Piece can shove it, I know nothing about these animes because they've never appealed to me.
Masako Nozawa was hand picked by Toriyama, so I don't know where "Toei missed the point".

Deep Thought
Beyond Newbie

Post by Deep Thought » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:53 pm

Perfect wrote: Masako Nozawa was hand picked by Toriyama, so I don't know where "Toei missed the point".
Ah, I was unaware of that. I'm not going to just change my mind and say, "Oh, so if Toriyama approved, now it's perfectly fine with me" (I dislike it when people do that). I'll just say instead that I don't think Toriyama should've abandoned all subtlety by bashing the audience over the head with "GET IT HE'S SUPPOSED TO BE A KID DEEP DOWN." I think the viewers would've gotten it quickly enough based off of his behavior, and it would've made certain events more hilarious/serious.

Then again, kids are idiots, so whatever.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:56 pm

Usually when I watch Dragon Ball the response from my family is

"You still watch cartoons? What are you 8?"

But my friends know that I love the series and don't say anything, in fact some of them say they watch it back in the day and loved it themselves.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Great Saiyaman I
Regular

Post by Great Saiyaman I » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:07 pm

Deep Thought wrote:
Perfect wrote: Masako Nozawa was hand picked by Toriyama, so I don't know where "Toei missed the point".
Ah, I was unaware of that. I'm not going to just change my mind and say, "Oh, so if Toriyama approved, now it's perfectly fine with me" (I dislike it when people do that). I'll just say instead that I don't think Toriyama should've abandoned all subtlety by bashing the audience over the head with "GET IT HE'S SUPPOSED TO BE A KID DEEP DOWN." I think the viewers would've gotten it quickly enough based off of his behavior, and it would've made certain events more hilarious/serious.

Then again, kids are idiots, so whatever.
Well when he picked her out Goku WAS a kid. She just deepened her voice a bit when he grew up.
-The Great Saiyaman
Herms wrote:
Nex Carnifex wrote:Herms can you translate the whole thing
No.

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:16 pm

Perfect wrote: Care to elaborate on what was terribly paced?
On terribly paced I meant the filler. The staring, the powering up, basically most of the stereotypes.

Although the points are valid that it had some terrible pacing/filler it wasn't as bad as some other shows and the manga doesn't have this issue. But when it had to it was a faithful adaptation, until it was too close to the manga. Although the original Dragon Ball is pretty good at pacing. (it isn't perfect though)
If you're not here soon... GET ON!