Question regarding Bruce Faulconer's music on orange sets

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon Ball Freak

Question regarding Bruce Faulconer's music on orange sets

Post by Dragon Ball Freak » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:46 pm

According to Wikipedia Bruce Faulcoler's music was used from Seasons 3 until Season 9. What was used for Seasons 1 and 2, then?

BluezaBladeNZ
Regular

Re: Question Regarding Bruce Falconers Music On The orange sets

Post by BluezaBladeNZ » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:51 pm

Dragon Ball Freak wrote:According to Wikipedia his Music was used from Seasons 3 until Season 9 what was used for Seasons 1 And 2 Then?
Nathan Johnson (who also did a few of the movies) composed the score for episodes 1-67 but for 68-291, Faulconer's was used.

NUDEoctopus
Not-So-Newbie

Post by NUDEoctopus » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:53 pm

I believe it happened that way (as opposed to having Bruce faulconer dub the whole series) because of the whole going back to dub the early episodes thing happened after they had already given Bruce Faulconer the boot, so they just got some other guy.
PSN: moyerman105

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:57 pm

Yeah, Nathan Johnson did all the music for the "season" one boxset and most of "season" two, but when actual season three begins in the "season" two boxset, it switches over to Faulconer's music.

Damn FUNimation. For all their stupid, hideous mistakes on those orange bricks, the whole "season" mis-label is certainly not the worst, but it is the hardest to talk about.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

TonyTheTiger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TonyTheTiger » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:23 am

It's not really FUNi's fault with that one. That's just American television standards at work. It's rare here to have a show without an off-season (though I think networks are starting to toy with it). FUNi only could do its best to cut up the series in somewhat sensible ways to fit airing standards. They certainly could have done a much worse job.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:32 am

Um... huh? I'm not berating the fact of seasons. The dub of DBZ did have seasons. It had six of them. The orange bricks slapped an arbitrary number of episodes on each box and called it a season even though it did not relate to the actual seasons of the broadcast dub in any way, shape, or form. I do not blame them for not wanting to put 70+ episodes on a single boxset. But that being the case, they should not have referred to them as seasons. They should have referred to them as volumes or something else. Because now you have people talking about "seasons," and it's never clear whether they mean the actual seasons or just the random season numbers that FUNimation slapped on arbitrarily to a bunch of home releases. Just to clarify:

Season 1 (1996-1997)-Saiya-jin Arc
Season 2 (1997-1998)-Freeza Arc through Dub episode 53 (and the three-part Tree of Might movie broadcast)
Season 3 (1999-2000)-Remainder of Freeza Arc and Garlic Jr. Arc that Spring
Season 4 (2000-2001)-Cell Arc
Season 5 (2001-2002)-Buu Arc through Vegeta's death
Season 6 (2002-2003)-Remainder of series

That was how the series was broken up into seasons in America, and, as you can probably tell, it bears no resemblance to how the orange bricks divided them up.

As for me, I always refer to them by the actual season numbers because, well, that's what they actually are, and it's also how I was introduced to it. When we refer to how terrible season three was, we're not talking about the episodes exclusive to Orange Brick "Season Three." When I say that season four was the last season of the dub I ever watched, I'm not referring to the fourth orange brick but the fourth actual broadcast season. Them just throwing out random numbers and calling them seasons makes it hard to keep track of what people are talking about.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

TonyTheTiger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TonyTheTiger » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:34 am

Huh. I didn't know that the orange bricks didn't follow the standard television seasons. Goes to show how much attention I gave them.

Did they really air the episodes from Trunks's arrival to Cell's defeat in a single season? It's been years but I feel like I remember them beginning reruns somewhere in between there.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:39 am

Oh.

Well, in case you didn't know, there were a total of nine orange bricks. The first one had the first three episodes of season two. The second one had the first seven episodes of season three. Then season four was spread out across "Season"s four, five, and six, I think. That's about all I know for sure.

EDIT: Yep. That was all a single season. The two Trunks tapes came out the summer of 2000. They started airing that fall, and the season concluded with Trunks defeating Cell in his timeline around November or December maybe.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:48 am

I'd just like to point out that there was another short break after the first appearance of Kid Buu in the fall of 2002. The final 17 or so episodes (Funimation's "Kid Buu Saga") didn't air until the following spring.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:50 am

The same could be said for the Garlic Jr. stuff, as they didn't air until the spring of 2000, but they're considered part of the season three (and logically so as that was the 1999-2000 television season). So I guess one could make the same argument for that bit too. I used to think there was seven seasons myself but had it confirmed that there were actually six... somewhere. Don't remember where. As I said earlier in this thread, I stopped watching after season four. But if it was just a bit of a wait until the second half of the '02-'03 season, I can see both why I heard the seven season thing from and why it actually does seem to be six.

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:21 am

This is all new to me aswell. Shows how much I remember about DBZ back in the day. :P

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:42 am

Nathan Johnson? I thought the score of the redubbed first two "seasons" were done by Mark Menza who composed the score for GT!
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

BluezaBladeNZ
Regular

Post by BluezaBladeNZ » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:34 am

SHINOBI-03 wrote:Nathan Johnson? I thought the score of the redubbed first two "seasons" were done by Mark Menza who composed the score for GT!
Mark Menza composed the opening theme in the Season Sets as well as Movies 6, 7, 9 and 10. Not sure about movie 11.

Dragon Ball Freak

Re: Question regarding Bruce Faulconer's music on orange sets

Post by Dragon Ball Freak » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:14 pm

Does anyone know what music was used in the old singles before Season 3 started that is what I was trying to ask?

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:18 pm

Dragon Ball Freak wrote:Does anyone know what music was used in the old singles before Season 3 started that is what I was trying to ask?
Shuki Levi, I believe. This was back when Savant and FUNi were working together and only the edited singles were available.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:27 pm

Dragon Ball Freak wrote:Does anyone know what music was used in the old singles before Season 3 started that is what I was trying to ask?
Let's define something again, just to be clear:

"Season 3" = the "season" that actually aired on television in North America beginning in 1999 with dub episode 54 and going through the Garlic Jr. arc; used FUNimation's in-house voice cast, Bruce Faulconer's music, received a home release on edited/uncut VHS and later on DVD

Image --> Image

Prior to that, FUNimation's English dub of DBZ (from 1996-1998) was produced in conjunction with the voice talent from Ocean Studios, distributed to television syndication by Saban, and distributed on home video by Pioneer. The music in those episodes was composed by Shuki Levy (who, in conjunction with Saban, also did the music for Power Rangers).

Image --> Image

The dub of those episodes (edited dub episodes 1-53, up through Goku arriving on Namek) was essentially replaced in 2005 with the "Ultimate Uncut Edition", which featured a new voice recording by FUNimation's in-house voice cast; note that the home release of this dub was canceled mid-release on DVD, but aired in its entirety on Cartoon Network. Due to this being produced after Faulconer had been given the boot, Nathan Johnson handled the dub's musical score. This replacement dub was featured again on the orange brick sets in 2007.

Image --> Image // Image Image

The voices from this dub were used with the original Japanese musical score (dropping Johnson's score) in 2009 with FUNimation's domestic "Dragon Box" release.

Image Image
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:05 pm

Did anybody else really like the Shuki Levy score? Maybe I just liked Power Rangers a little too much, but I've always been a fan of that score (and the Ocean dub in general).
君と再会ったとき 子供のころ大切に想っていた景色を思い出したんだ
僕と踊ってくれないか 光と影の Winding Road いまでも彼に夢中なの?

GizmoKSX
Beyond Newbie

Post by GizmoKSX » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:10 pm

Chibi Mystic Gohan wrote:Did anybody else really like the Shuki Levy score? Maybe I just liked Power Rangers a little too much, but I've always been a fan of that score (and the Ocean dub in general).
I liked hearing it in Power Rangers, but it was awkward and distracting hearing the same cues recycled in Dragon Ball Z.
I can see their parachutes.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:22 pm

Chibi Mystic Gohan wrote:Did anybody else really like the Shuki Levy score? Maybe I just liked Power Rangers a little too much, but I've always been a fan of that score (and the Ocean dub in general).
It always seemed like random droning to me, and this is coming from someone who enjoys the Faulconer score every once in a while.

Budogenkai
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Budogenkai » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:34 pm

So what in your opinion is better, Faulconer or Johnson?
PSN: Genkaidomo
360: Bhuda64

http://www.youtube.com/BurritoNchips

anyone know where I can get a good cheap mic?