The UK Dub of the DBZ movies

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dominator
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

The UK Dub of the DBZ movies

Post by Dominator » Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:44 pm

If you have seen the UK Dub of the movies then I hope you rest easy, as your ears suffer just listening to the voice acting. But the company did only 3 movies (An they all had the wrong titles). The company stopped making them but their site is still active. Does anyone know if the dub company is dead or not? As from what I was told they were affilated with Toonami and FUNimation.
[url=http://www.freewebs.com/vendavaleste/]Carrion - The Dominator Fansite[/url]

El_Diablo
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by El_Diablo » Fri Jan 28, 2005 1:05 pm

I believe it's Bridge Entertainment. They were affiliated with Toonami UK for the releases.

And the movie names were actually quite well translated
Where's the beef?

Ash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ash » Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:00 pm

Bridge Entertainment? Isn't that a Dutch only company? Anyway, they released most of the Dragon Ball Z movies with horrible dubs here ["Tall Green", "Old Man" for Piccolo and Muten Roshi IIRC] in the wrong order -_-;

To what quote SS Kakarot [also a member here] posted on a Dutch board, this is how Bridge released the movies here:
Movie 1 - Super Battle In The World ([in fact] Movie 3)
Movie 2 - The Strongest Guy In The World (Movie 2)
Movie 3 - Super Saiyan, Goku (Movie 4)
Movie 4 - Super Rivals (Movie 5)
Movie 5 - Fight! 10 Billion Power Warriors (Movie 6)
Movie 6 - Super Battle Of The Three Super Saiyans (Movie 7)
Movie 7 - The Burning Battles (Movie 8)
Movie 8 - Super Guy In The Galaxy (Movie 9)
Movie 9 - The Father Of Goku (Bardock Special)
Movie 10 - Gohan And Trunks (Trunks Special)
Movie 11 - In Pursuit Of Garlic (Movie 1)
[i]"Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God's good earth"[/i] - The Lamp of God, Ellery Queen

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:27 pm

Wait, is the movie in () (can't spell it ^^;) the one that was released with that title, so they were released in that order? Oooooookaaaaaaaaay.....
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

El_Diablo
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by El_Diablo » Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:47 pm

Their dubs of Movies 2, 3 and 4 were released over here as well
Last edited by El_Diablo on Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Where's the beef?

Ash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ash » Fri Jan 28, 2005 3:07 pm

@Xyex: yeah, what's in the err... parentheses is the real movie number...so we got Garlic as the last movie :P
[i]"Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God's good earth"[/i] - The Lamp of God, Ellery Queen

Timo
Regular

Post by Timo » Fri Jan 28, 2005 3:41 pm

The UK movies are the same as the dutch movies, aren't they? oO

The dub is horrible, yeah.It is definately based on the French version. Okay, the french Goku is a little better. The UK sounds like the old He-Man VA. But like the French, his voice is too deep. Yajirobie too. Shenron (oh sorry, I mean sacred dragon has no effect in his voice, the dialouges are simple, the sound and video quality are crappy. Oh yes, there is only the english version on the dvd. And the movie I have (Movie 4, 'Super Saiya Goku') isn't uncut.

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:03 pm

Oh... that is... Dumb. Man, that HAD to have been confusing.... o_O XD
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

SS Kakarot
Beyond Newbie

Post by SS Kakarot » Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:53 am

Yes, the UK DVD's have the same Dub as the Dutch DVD's from Bridge.
I believe that the Dub is usually called the Big Green Dub.
I'm sure that all movies have been Dubbed by them, but there wasn't enough interest in DBZ DVD's over here anymore, so Bridge stopped releasing them.
That's how it always goes here in The Netherlands. :roll:

They didn't do a great job, but at least they kept the original music. :)
My Cels:
http://sskakarot.rubberslug.com/gallery/home.asp
http://cels.proboards33.com

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:27 am

Yeah, they're the same as the norwegian dub as well.

It's based on the french version? I thought it was the German version. Ah, well.The norwegian titles for the first movies were "The Great Battle" and "Strongest in the world".

And yes, both the script and the voice acting is horrible, and the japanese version is dubtitled. Though I believe they used the name Piccolo in the sub, as opposed to "Big Green". Kame Sennin was called "The Old One" here, and Tullece in movie 3 claimed to be Goku's brothers. Shen Long was "Great Dragon", the Dragon Balls were "Crystal Balls", Kinto Un was "Magic Cloud", Nyoibou was "Magic Staff", Bulma was "Bluma", and Kuririn was "Clirin".
Oh, and they can't pronounce Goku and Gohan right.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:54 am

"Clirin"! Sounds like a facial cleanser! XDDDDDDDDD
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

Timo
Regular

Post by Timo » Sat Jan 29, 2005 9:09 am

Adamant wrote:Yeah, they're the same as the norwegian dub as well.

It's based on the french version? I thought it was the German version. Ah, well.
I thought so before. On the page were the same covers as in Germany.
But I guess we have the same covers as France. Anyway, the UK Covers are a little better. They aren't the same as on the website.
It is definately based on the French version.^^
-Goku is He-Man
-Kuririn's VA is a woman (okay, I like it)
-Chichi and Bulma are "Battle Lesbians"
-The names and the script are horrible

The German dub is based on the French version too, but it has some good points. But generally it sucks.

Pedro The Hutt
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Pedro The Hutt » Sat Jan 29, 2005 9:45 am

I dunno. On the grander scheme, judging from all that I've seen on RTL2, the germans dub much better than the americans do. >.>; At least theirs don't grind on your ears. And hey, 't is uncut and uses the original music, 't is all good. XD

In any case, I've been unfortunate enough to see one of those dubs as well. XD Wow, such a deep voice for Son Goku.
I'd still like to know who or what wrote that script though.. and hired those actors. At first I thought that someone pulled a sick joke and placed fandubs on tapes and sneakily placed them in the VHS rack in our local store or something. >.>;;

Timo
Regular

Post by Timo » Sat Jan 29, 2005 10:21 am

Pedro The Hutt wrote:I dunno. On the grander scheme, judging from all that I've seen on RTL2, the germans dub much better than the americans do. >.>; At least theirs don't grind on your ears. And hey, 't is uncut and uses the original music, 't is all good. XD
Arghs no. It is cut. We have the "french super mix". Some episodes are cut, some uncut.
And the names and the script are based on a lot of different things. French version, german Manga (which has a stupid translation) and goofy "jokes" and dialouges.
Some VAs are good and were chosen well (Mr. Satan, Kaio-sama), but most of them don't convey the character. Bhwuargh....I hate this dub.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Sat Jan 29, 2005 11:32 am

Let's compare with the Norwegian dub:

-Goku is He-Man *check*

-Kuririn's VA is a woman *check*
(okay, I like it) *check, though it annoys me, as "Clirin"'s norwegian voice would've been perfect for Goku.*

-Chichi and Bulma are "Battle Lesbians" *nay. "Bluma" is whiny (same VA as Minnie Mouse, dammit. I can't stand that voice, no matter what character they give it to.), and Chichi sounds like she's in her late fourties.*

-The names and the script are horrible *check and check*

Pedro The Hutt
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Pedro The Hutt » Sat Jan 29, 2005 12:26 pm

Timo wrote: Arghs no. It is cut. We have the "french super mix". Some episodes are cut, some uncut.
And the names and the script are based on a lot of different things. French version, german Manga (which has a stupid translation) and goofy "jokes" and dialouges.
Some VAs are good and were chosen well (Mr. Satan, Kaio-sama), but most of them don't convey the character. Bhwuargh....I hate this dub.
Ah... Z. >.>;; I've mostly seen regular DB. I've only seen up to say... Son Gohan's training in early DBZ. XD

Timo
Regular

Post by Timo » Sat Jan 29, 2005 12:37 pm

I see.^^
Mhm, but it's cut as well. The dub is....mhm...'okay' I think. It is 'cheap' and I don't like this nerved voice for Goku, but the others are well.

Shower Sylvia

Post by Shower Sylvia » Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:46 pm

I am the proud owner of one of these movies...

Best dub ever...

Big Green is what they call Piccolo... Goku sounds like He-Man.. in fact, I'm not so sure it's not Dolph Lungreen doing his voice... Kuririn sounds like washing up liquid... Bulma is from Texas... and as for the soundtrack... well... -_-

They're worth a watch for a laugh... Unless you're, like, not into DBZ profanity...
For some fun... http://s4.invisionfree.com/Chibi_Gohans_Lookout/index.php?act=idx

El_Diablo
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by El_Diablo » Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:19 pm

The way Tullece says: "What is this I thought you were dead?" is hilarious. Get's me every time
Where's the beef?

Caracal
Regular

Post by Caracal » Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:43 pm

I heard about these but after hearing how terrible they were I never bothed. Shame Ocean couldn't do it themselves.