DB relationships

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Re: DB relationships

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:57 am

Last night, I was thinking about a potential relationship that, if done right, could be a good read. GohanxPiccolo. Now before a lot of you go, "That's sick, Gohan's a kid and Piccolo's asexual!", it's actually probably one of the most obvious partnerships in the series. They already have a close friendship, someone could easily build onto that and edge it into love. And so what if Piccolo's asexual? Even before we discovered he was an alien, we all believed that he was male due to his masculine structure and the fact that he called himself "The Demon King". Plus, the world of manga is a murky world, and I don't think children and adults getting together would be the biggest taboo in there, if a taboo at all.

So, a fanfic idea I have is that Gohan could be female, and then they get together under some strange circumstances and Gohan eventually gives birth to a super-powerful Saiyan-Namekian hybrid. I think it'd be interesting, anyway.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Darkbloom

Post by Darkbloom » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:41 am

Piccolo Daimao wrote:Last night, I was thinking about a potential relationship that, if done right, could be a good read. GohanxPiccolo. Now before a lot of you go, "That's sick, Gohan's a kid and Piccolo's asexual!", it's actually probably one of the most obvious partnerships in the series. They already have a close friendship, someone could easily build onto that and edge it into love. And so what if Piccolo's asexual? Even before we discovered he was an alien, we all believed that he was male due to his masculine structure and the fact that he called himself "The Demon King". Plus, the world of manga is a murky world, and I don't think children and adults getting together would be the biggest taboo in there, if a taboo at all.

So, a fanfic idea I have is that Gohan could be female, and then they get together under some strange circumstances and Gohan eventually gives birth to a super-powerful Saiyan-Namekian hybrid. I think it'd be interesting, anyway.
How did Gohan turn female and how did Piccolo grow a penis?

I've never read a fan fiction with that pairing(mainly out of fear) and I prefer to think of them as student/mentor and not lovers. But... to each his own. I think it could be good if it is done well. Anything can be good as long as it is written well. One of my favourite authors of all time proved that.

Except Vegeta/Pan. That's just creepy. Ewwww.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:53 am

Darkbloom wrote:
Piccolo Daimao wrote:Last night, I was thinking about a potential relationship that, if done right, could be a good read. GohanxPiccolo. Now before a lot of you go, "That's sick, Gohan's a kid and Piccolo's asexual!", it's actually probably one of the most obvious partnerships in the series. They already have a close friendship, someone could easily build onto that and edge it into love. And so what if Piccolo's asexual? Even before we discovered he was an alien, we all believed that he was male due to his masculine structure and the fact that he called himself "The Demon King". Plus, the world of manga is a murky world, and I don't think children and adults getting together would be the biggest taboo in there, if a taboo at all.

How did Gohan turn female and how did Piccolo grow a penis?

I've never read a fan fiction with that pairing(mainly out of fear) and I prefer to think of them as student/mentor and not lovers. But... to each his own. I think it could be good if it is done well. Anything can be good as long as it is written well. One of my favourite authors of all time proved that.

Except Vegeta/Pan. That's just creepy. Ewwww.
Gohan didn't turn female, my idea was just that instead of being male, he's now female because how else would he give birth to a Saiyan-Namekian hybrid (who I'll, for the time being, call Goccolo)? Piccolo never grew a penis; again, I'm just acting under the premise of, perhaps, that Namekians have genders and reproduce the sexual way. The thread's about unusual pairings that could work. Really, any pairing in the world could work if it's written well enough, and GohanxPiccolo just happens to be one that, I think, has a lot of potential. Heck, I bet if someone did a BrolyxGoku fanfic, it would be believable if it was written well.

I know that Gohan and Piccolo are just student and mentor and still think of them that way, but, in fanfics, friendships like that are prone to being edged into love, as we see with Tenshinhan and Chaozu (they're best friends, yet some make them gay lovers in fanfics). I would never imply that it's a possibility that Gohan and Piccolo could get together. It's fan fiction--obviously, Gohan's not female and Piccolo doesn't have a penis. Really, I'm bending the rules to suit my own inventive imagination.
Last edited by Piccolo Daimao on Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Darkbloom

Post by Darkbloom » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:08 am

Piccolo Daimao wrote: Gohan didn't turn female, my idea was just that instead of being male, he's now female because how else would he give birth to a Saiyan-Namekian hybrid (who I'll, for the time being, call Goccolo)? Piccolo never grew a penis; again, I'm just acting under the premise of, perhaps, that Namekians have genders and reproduce the sexual way. The thread's about unusual pairings that could work. Really, any pairing in the world could work if it's written well enough, and GohanxPiccolo just happens to be one that, I think, has a lot of potential. Heck, I bet if someone did a BrolyxGoku fanfic, it would be believable if it was written well.

I know that Gohan and Piccolo are just student and mentor and still think of them that way, but friendships like that are prone to being edged into love, as we see with Tenshinhan and Chaozu (they're best friends, yet some make them gay lovers in fanfics). I would never imply that it's a possibility that Gohan and Piccolo could get together. It's fan fiction--obviously, Gohan's not female and Piccolo doesn't have a penis. Really, I'm bending the rules to suit my own inventive imagination.
Thank you for explaining. Now that I think about it, Gohan and Piccolo doesn't sound that absurd and crack-ish. And it's not like Dragon Ball hasn't had aliens and humans reproducing before. I wasn't trying to belittle you or anything. I just wanted to know how it would work.

As long Gohan isn't a Mary-Sue. Most of the "Gohan is born a girl" fics that I have read have Mary-Sue written all over them.

BTW, I think you should still call their child "Pan". Piccolo is type of flute. There is a type of flute called a pan flute. Gohan means rice, which is a food staple. Pan means bread, which is a food staple. His/her name pun would fit with both of his/her parents.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:58 am

Darkbloom wrote: Thank you for explaining. Now that I think about it, Gohan and Piccolo doesn't sound that absurd and crack-ish. And it's not like Dragon Ball hasn't had aliens and humans reproducing before. I wasn't trying to belittle you or anything. I just wanted to know how it would work.

As long Gohan isn't a Mary-Sue. Most of the "Gohan is born a girl" fics that I have read have Mary-Sue written all over them.

BTW, I think you should still call their child "Pan". Piccolo is type of flute. There is a type of flute called a pan flute. Gohan means rice, which is a food staple. Pan means bread, which is a food staple. His/her name pun would fit with both of his/her parents.
"Mary-Sue" basically means a woman who's hot for the sake of being...well, hot, right? If so, I probably won't make Gohan a Mary-Sue. That isn't how you write romance.

And about the "pan flute" thing, I never knew that. I was thinking about calling their child something to do with snails and slugs, which would follow the tradition of Namekians being named after those creatures (Nail = Snail; Cargo = Escargot), but I think I'll take your advice and still call the kid "Pan".

EDIT: Could someone direct me to some sites with good fanfics of this genre, please?

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:18 pm

Piccolo Daimao wrote:"Mary-Sue" basically means a woman who's hot for the sake of being...well, hot, right? If so, I probably won't make Gohan a Mary-Sue. That isn't how you write romance.
A Mary-Sue is an original character that is annoyingly perfect. Often a thinly veiled author self-insertion. They usually are attractive, since that goes with being perfect, but they're also really strong and really cool and everyone loves them (except the readers).
-Rachel

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:24 pm

TripleRach wrote:
Piccolo Daimao wrote:"Mary-Sue" basically means a woman who's hot for the sake of being...well, hot, right? If so, I probably won't make Gohan a Mary-Sue. That isn't how you write romance.
A Mary-Sue is an original character that is annoyingly perfect. Often a thinly veiled author self-insertion. They usually are attractive, since that goes with being perfect, but they're also really strong and really cool and everyone loves them (except the readers).
Oh, OK. Well, no, I won't have this version of Gohan as a Mary-Sue. That's just ridiculously over-the-top to have someone being perfect in every way.

ShiningMoon
Beyond Newbie

Post by ShiningMoon » Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:36 pm

Sounds like an interesting story; I'd certainly give it a shot. Usually I kind of edge away from "now so-and-so is a female!" fics, but that's mostly because I hate it when people pull "now so-and-so is a female so it's OKAY for him, er, her, to be in a relationship with this one male character!" (As opposed to just sucking it up and letting the character be gay/bi/whatever.)

Though it would also be interesting to see you work around the fact that in their canon form, neither can (okay, theoretically, unless you want to pull a more original but still kind of cheesy revision of the classic mpreg "But men of THIS race are different; they can have babies!" [heh heh, speaking of which, I once wrote a Goku-Vegeta fic where Goku, being Goku, misunderstands Future Trunks and is led to believe that Trunks is his and Vegeta's son, thus spurring a "Vegeta, can Saiyajin men have babies?"/"I always knew you were a moron, but really?" moment]).
I mean, consider: Namekians and humans (or Saiyajin, or a human-Saiyajin hybrid) are not exactly phenotypically, er, identical. (We should even be a little surprised that the offspring of Saiyajin and humans are able to reproduce at all.) If their relationship developed to the point where they decided they wanted a child (as opposed to an accidental one!) Gohan may suggest making use of Bulma's scientific knowledge to see if it's possible/if it can be done with a little engineering (opening up another can of worms!). (I'm now going to pretend like I understand fancy biology stuff, by virtue of my boyfriend studying/always talking about it.) I think you could feasibly argue that Bulma could engineer Piccolo's stem cells (or the equivalent; and being as he could regenerate, I think such things could easily be acquired?) into something like a human egg cell.

^ Or maybe that's just a case of "too much science in my fanfic" and you should ignore me. XD

Also, that Pan idea is really clever! I like it!
(And I think that a half-Namekian-quarter-Saiyajin-quarter-human has to be pretty badass. I wonder what he/she[/it?] would look like? ... *whips out sketchbook*)

Piccolo/Gohan is another pairing that I've always thought I might like if I could find some good fanfiction of it. (Not to say I've really spent much time looking for it, though...)

Suupaa Gohan 2
Regular

Post by Suupaa Gohan 2 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:45 am

Eire wrote:Dragon Ball fandom is a bit specific one- anime suffer from lack of woman characters (but luckily it doesn't suffer from yaoi fangirls like some new series).
I don't think you're looking hard enough or in the right places. :P

Soooo, Dragonball pairings, huh...well, DB was my first ever series, and even when I first got into Yaoi when I was 16ish (don't worry, I've since grown out of it), I was never fond of any pairing that didn't have some sort of canon basis. Of course, some pairings can be given a basis on loose facts and evidences, but if they're there, and I can see it being possible, that's fine. What I've always hated are the crack pairings that have absolutely no bearing in the source material, and are just the fans saying 'aw Hell, why not'...especially when the characters have never met or spoken 2 words to each other. So naturally, since the Dragonball world is filled with more potential for these crack pairings than canon ones, I never really hopped on the bandwagon except for one pairings that became my all-time favorite - I've written* several* fanfictions* on the pair, and even host the currently-pretty-dead Trunks x Goten Forum. I've toyed with the idea of making it canon in my main fic Dragonball IGNO but ultimately decided against it for various reasons, mainly that my target audience is not the Yaoi fandom. Nonetheless, of all the potential pairings in the series, I don't think any makes more sense than this - perhaps you could say in terms of closeness, they're on par with Tenshinhan and Chaozu, or Piccolo and Gohan, but for lack of a better way to say this, it's not quite as...weird, as those two ^^;

The problem is that the majority of the series involves the two of them as children, and most people aren't too keen on Shota. As I see it, you can apply their childhood friendship to their teenage years - and as we see in the final few episodes, they're still very close, even to the point of dancing together in front of Vegeta. I dunno, I'd certainly never claim OMG R U BLIND THEIR SOOO CANNON HOW CAN U NOT C THERE GAY UR A MORON like some fans do vehemently for their pairings - it's there if you see it, it's not if you don't. That's the kind of pairing I always liked, the kind that you can find supportive evidence for in the canon, but for those who aren't specifically looking for it, it can easily come off as simply a close friendship or bromance (another fantastic example would be Ban and Ginji of my favorite Manga, GetBackers; there's a lot of subtext between the two in the Manga, but Ban in particular is also quite lecherous, so fans can take it either way). And that's how I see Goten and Trunks. Definitely one of, if not the most possible non-canon pairings in the series...makes more sense to me than all the Gokou x Vegeta or even Gohan x Trunks (especially since in the latter it's almost never the two who spent their days together in the apocalyptic future, but a sort of mix-and-match) out there. But that's just me.

In any case, it's certainly better than all the crack that completely warp the character personalities and relationships simply for the sake of getting them together in the sack. Brolli x Chi-Chi? Why the Hell not, they were both on planet Earth at some point in time, and Brolli hated Gokou, so he wanted to steal his woman...and Chi-Chi was lonely and horny from all the times Gokou was dying and running off and abandoning her, so they got together and it was totally consensual, also Brolli is actually Goten's father, not Gokou, OMG it all makes sense now!!111one!11

*Severe mature content warning.
Steam Name: SG2
Discord Tag: Esjitu#4064

"I came to save you thanks to a magic bean. And if you think it was easy to find that bean, you're wrong."
--'Big Green' Yajirobe

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:13 am

Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:
Piccolo Daimao wrote: What gender is Puar anyway? Some say male, some say female.
He's male. In the Manga, he used the personal pronoun "boku", which only males use.
Boku is gender-neutral. Typically it is used more by males than females (who tend to prefer atashi and watashi), but I have seen some rare occasions in anime where girls used boku.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

Suupaa Gohan 2
Regular

Post by Suupaa Gohan 2 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:06 am

Puto wrote:
Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:
Piccolo Daimao wrote: What gender is Puar anyway? Some say male, some say female.
He's male. In the Manga, he used the personal pronoun "boku", which only males use.
Boku is gender-neutral. Typically it is used more by males than females (who tend to prefer atashi and watashi), but I have seen some rare occasions in anime where girls used boku.
It's considered to be tomboyish if used by a female, though. I'd tend to lean more towards considering it a male pronoun, whereas if someone was designing a gender-neutral character with the intentions of making them truly gender-neutral, they'd probably have them use watashi.
Steam Name: SG2
Discord Tag: Esjitu#4064

"I came to save you thanks to a magic bean. And if you think it was easy to find that bean, you're wrong."
--'Big Green' Yajirobe

Coola Yagami
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Coola Yagami » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:12 pm

Rocketman wrote:
Xyex wrote:18/Trunks (typically the future versions at that) is my favorite non-canon pairing in the series
She slaughtered half the planet, likely cut down his father, (in the special) killed the only person he's ever had a significant relationship with other than his mother and made his life an apocalyptic hell and you like pairing them up?

You've encapsulated everything that's so sickeningly wrong with fanfic.

I read a violent fic where, when future trunks returns to his time he kills 17 and 18 brutally and sadistically. For 18 however, she was brutally raped beforehand, with Trunks yelling the pain of his dead family and loved ones in her face while she was suffering and begging for mercy. -shudders- Strong fic, but wow... considering what 17 and 18 did, can one blame Trunks for snapping?

Perfect
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Perfect » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:15 pm

Coola Yagami wrote:
Rocketman wrote:
Xyex wrote:18/Trunks (typically the future versions at that) is my favorite non-canon pairing in the series
She slaughtered half the planet, likely cut down his father, (in the special) killed the only person he's ever had a significant relationship with other than his mother and made his life an apocalyptic hell and you like pairing them up?

You've encapsulated everything that's so sickeningly wrong with fanfic.

I read a violent fic where, when future trunks returns to his time he kills 17 and 18 brutally and sadistically. For 18 however, she was brutally raped beforehand, with Trunks yelling the pain of his dead family and loved ones in her face while she was suffering and begging for mercy. -shudders- Strong fic, but wow... considering what 17 and 18 did, can one blame Trunks for snapping?
...That's disturbing. Oh the ideas fans come up with nowadays. -.^;;
Fox666 wrote:It seems you have pissed a lot of people on this forum, and I am quite sure they would like to call you stupid and say that's the designated adjectives for you. But they don't do that because of there are rules in this community.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:06 pm

Perfect wrote:
Coola Yagami wrote:I read a violent fic where, when future trunks returns to his time he kills 17 and 18 brutally and sadistically. For 18 however, she was brutally raped beforehand, with Trunks yelling the pain of his dead family and loved ones in her face while she was suffering and begging for mercy. -shudders- Strong fic, but wow... considering what 17 and 18 did, can one blame Trunks for snapping?
More realistic and in-character than what Xyex writes, apparently.

Perfect

Post by Perfect » Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:15 pm

Rocketman wrote:
Perfect wrote:
Coola Yagami wrote:I read a violent fic where, when future trunks returns to his time he kills 17 and 18 brutally and sadistically. For 18 however, she was brutally raped beforehand, with Trunks yelling the pain of his dead family and loved ones in her face while she was suffering and begging for mercy. -shudders- Strong fic, but wow... considering what 17 and 18 did, can one blame Trunks for snapping?
More realistic and in-character than what Xyex writes, apparently.
Well that's not the worst idea I've heard. Some people have some crazy fantasies (Fanfiction.net).
Fox666 wrote:It seems you have pissed a lot of people on this forum, and I am quite sure they would like to call you stupid and say that's the designated adjectives for you. But they don't do that because of there are rules in this community.

Turtle Marked Stone
Regular

Post by Turtle Marked Stone » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:28 pm

Coola Yagami wrote:

Welcome to creative writing 101. Always put "rape" in your story to make it deep and adult. Also murder and drugs.

Edit: God the more I read that the more frustrated I get, this is how you don't want to write a fanfic. Take a cartoon made for 8 year olds and add GRIMDARKANGST AND RAPE handled with the tact of what I can only imagine is a 14 year old.

In fact let's all agree never to write fanfics ever again.

Coola Yagami
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Coola Yagami » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:18 pm

Hmm it was actually rather well-written. Forgetting the fact that the heroes never do brutal sadistic beatdowns (well maybe Vegeta), and that rape was never a subject of the series (cept for those Red Ribbon guys after Bulma), and that the overall series was never that dark, you could feel the pain he was going through and the violent urge to extract that revenge in the most humilating and painful way towards 18 before putting her out of her misery and uh... wow... and this is the last time I bring this fanfic up again.. o.O

chaosakita
Not-So-Newbie

Post by chaosakita » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:20 pm

Turtle Marked Stone wrote:
Coola Yagami wrote:

Welcome to creative writing 101. Always put "rape" in your story to make it deep and adult. Also murder and drugs.

Edit: God the more I read that the more frustrated I get, this is how you don't want to write a fanfic. Take a cartoon made for 8 year olds and add GRIMDARKANGST AND RAPE handled with the tact of what I can only imagine is a 14 year old.

In fact let's all agree never to write fanfics ever again.
Uh no, how about let's not.

Most fanfic is bad, but only because the writers lack skill. This applies to most conventional fictional as well. But there really isn't a thing such as a bad idea.

Turtle Marked Stone
Regular

Post by Turtle Marked Stone » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:36 pm

Yeah I was joking. I'm not literally trying to convince the internet to stop writing fanfics.

Coola Yagami wrote:Hmm it was actually rather well-written. Forgetting the fact that the heroes never do brutal sadistic beatdowns (well maybe Vegeta), and that rape was never a subject of the series (cept for those Red Ribbon guys after Bulma), and that the overall series was never that dark, you could feel the pain he was going through and the violent urge to extract that revenge in the most humilating and painful way towards 18 before putting her out of her misery and uh... wow... and this is the last time I bring this fanfic up again.. o.O
I-I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic with this whole "well written" thing. I'm going to go ahead and assume that you are (then again, internet.)
Last edited by Turtle Marked Stone on Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Perfect

Post by Perfect » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:40 pm

I like properly written fan fiction. Crazy things like, "SSJ5 Freeza-Gohan attacked Omega Cellron and Majin Goku with his Super Red and Blue spiral Dragon Ball Fist Kamehameha!", really just make me cringe.

I like it when people elaborate in on time skips or do things with the Makai, something interesting that you don't see too much of.