DB relationships

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ShiningMoon
Beyond Newbie

Re: DB relationships

Post by ShiningMoon » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:30 am

Piccolo Daimao wrote:Yeah, you're right about Vegeta and 18. But I was thinking that he could just have, like, a serious "grudge" against her for defeating and humiliating him, and he treats harsher than anyone else. But whatever.
Ah, yeah, I see what you're saying. I think there was a discussion in some other thread a while back that was oh so vaguely related to this. Er, I think it was related to Vegeta's Goku obsession/grudge and why that didn't seem to happen with any other characters; I think for Eighteen it was that while she did humiliate him, he must have decided not long later that he was strong enough to beat her? Or she just kind of fell off the radar, or something. (What with his "I will never fight again" deal after Cell I guess, he probably didn't feel motivated to get revenge for that sort of thing -- but that's what fanfiction is for!! Haha. Definitely a feasible idea; I wasn't trying to say it wasn't!)

Ussj Future Trunks
Regular

Post by Ussj Future Trunks » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:30 am

I find Goten/Bra and Trunks/Pan creepy because of the age gap. I always found Goku/Bulma and Vegeta/Chichi better than the canon pairings.
Simian upstart...none surpass me. No one even comes close! BURN THIS INTO YOUR MIND! I am emperor of the universe. The likes of you are only fit to grovel at my feet. Or better still...to be crushed...LIKE AN INSECT AT THE WHIM OF YOUR MASTER!

- Freeza, DBZ Kai.

Darkbloom

Post by Darkbloom » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:05 am

I don't know about Vegeta/ChiChi. Perhaps it's just my memory, but I don't actually remember them ever interacting with each other. I like my couples to have some sort of interaction to base stuff on.

But then we don't see much of Vegeta and Bulma interacting before they got together, and Kuririn and 18 had something like 3 scenes together so I guess I just have high standards

Ussj Future Trunks
Regular

Post by Ussj Future Trunks » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:28 am

Well they are very similar in personality and the relationship would be based mostly on passion and angry sex lol.
Simian upstart...none surpass me. No one even comes close! BURN THIS INTO YOUR MIND! I am emperor of the universe. The likes of you are only fit to grovel at my feet. Or better still...to be crushed...LIKE AN INSECT AT THE WHIM OF YOUR MASTER!

- Freeza, DBZ Kai.

Velasa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Velasa » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:17 am

Man, how did I miss this thread? Playing Minecraft too much, that's how. I love looking into relationship stuff within the fandom since Toriyama seems to run screaming from even the idea of a vaguely developed romance.

The best unusual relationship fic I've ever come across has been the same for eight years- Bucky's classic Piccolo and Chichi. They're awkward as hell to make work but when you do it right everything just falls in line and works out.

I... hate trying to make named links. I really hate it.
Last edited by Velasa on Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:26 am, edited 4 times in total.
[quote="Rocketman"]Rocketman is to ChiChi as Velasa is to _______.

A. ChiChi
B. Piccolo
C. Goku
D. Bulma[/quote]

ShiningMoon
Beyond Newbie

Post by ShiningMoon » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:09 am

Velasa wrote:The best unusual relationship fic I've ever come across has been the same for eight years- Bucky's classic Piccolo and Chichi. They're awkward as hell to make work but when you do it right everything just falls in line and works out.
Oh! I have read this one! Thanks for reminding me that it exists. :D *sticks up in tabs list to reread later* I've never read anything else with this pairing, but like you said, [apparently, based on what I remember of this story] if it's done right it just works out!

Scarz
I Live Here

Post by Scarz » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:01 pm

Okay, I can't avoid this thread any longer. I love DB relationships too! I also love reading fanfiction about relationships, romance, and sex (mostly the sex part). And I felt like I've read every possible DB pairing out there but honestly I prefer the canon pairings like GokuxChichi or BulmaxVegeta. But recently I came across a pairing so bizarre I feel like I must share this.

I was reading a rather lengthy fanfic called "Vengeance." The story is set in AU where Earth was destroyed and some of the Z characters survived and is fighting against Frieza. Overall the the fic is not bad and it mostly focused on VxB but then out of no where BAM! RadditzxPuar. It was the biggest "WTF!" moment I had reading a fanfic and I've read one about Goku and Anne Frank for pete's sake. Thankfully Puar wasn't in his usually form when the deed that shall not be mentioned was committed.

But from what I've read here we're not talking about yaoi pairings. So I'll just move to an unlikely pairing that I like, BulmaxGoku. I used to be a huge fan of GxB and it's probably the only "what if?" pairing that could've worked, more so than any other mixed match pairing out there.

ShiningMoon
Beyond Newbie

Post by ShiningMoon » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:04 pm

Haha, wow. Well, was the out-of-nowhere Raditsu/Puar at least, uh, good/justifiable/uhhhhhh...sexy?

Agreed about Bulma/Goku; I've not read a lot of it but it seems like one of the most feasible non-canon pairings. Come to think of it, though, I've never actually read a good Goku/Chi-Chi fic. I guess I spend most of my time reading Bulma/Vegeta, in part because it's probably the most common (so it's more likely that there is more good fanfiction out there about them for me to stumble upon) and in part because they're two of my favorite characters.

Kind of related since you mentioned the "apparently we're not talking about yaoi here," *climbs up on soapbox* I don't like peoples' argument that people in DB can't be gay/bi because [the 'argument' goes something like] the characters don't "act gay" or "just can't be;" mostly I don't like this because (1) there is no one way that gay people act, and, (2) they also don't seem to particularly "act straight," generally speaking. Nobody would get an inkling of my sexuality, but would assume me to be straight since in our [er, at least, my] society that's expected, until I say something that would suggest otherwise. In fact, nobody knows a thing about my sexuality until I say, "My ex-girlfriend blah blah blah, but at least the guy I'm going out with right now blah blah blah." (Or until I say "Look at that hot chick over there!" or something like that, but even then they don't know the whole picture.) Aaaand there aren't exactly many opportunities for such things in the DB universe, especially given Toriyama's approach. I mean, what, is Vegeta going to say, "Hey Kakarrot, if you die can I bang your wife?" Is Yamcha gonna be all, "Kuririn, if you and I survive this we should have hot sex in the shower!" No, prolly not. It's the DB universe. People show up with children without explanation so we really shouldn't expect such, errr, uhhh, "nuanced" things of them as this, nor assume that silence implies the "norm" if a valid argument can be made to the contrary. (Or, in the case of fanfiction, an argument that is at least not invalid.) </rant>

I've seen fanart of Piccolo/Bulma as a pairing but I've never actually seen any fanfiction with them. Is this a popular "non-canon" pairing or something? Certainly sounds interesting.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:17 pm

ShiningMoon wrote:Kind of related since you mentioned the "apparently we're not talking about yaoi here," *climbs up on soapbox* I don't like peoples' argument that people in DB can't be gay/bi because [the 'argument' goes something like] the characters don't "act gay" or "just can't be;" mostly I don't like this because (1) there is no one way that gay people act, and, (2) they also don't seem to particularly "act straight," generally speaking. Nobody would get an inkling of my sexuality, but would assume me to be straight since in our [er, at least, my] society that's expected, until I say something that would suggest otherwise. In fact, nobody knows a thing about my sexuality until I say, "My ex-girlfriend blah blah blah, but at least the guy I'm going out with right now blah blah blah." (Or until I say "Look at that hot chick over there!" or something like that, but even then they don't know the whole picture.) Aaaand there aren't exactly many opportunities for such things in the DB universe, especially given Toriyama's approach. I mean, what, is Vegeta going to say, "Hey Kakarrot, if you die can I bang your wife?" Is Yamcha gonna be all, "Kuririn, if you and I survive this we should have hot sex in the shower!" No, prolly not. It's the DB universe. People show up with children without explanation so we really shouldn't expect such, errr, uhhh, "nuanced" things of them as this, nor assume that silence implies the "norm" if a valid argument can be made to the contrary. (Or, in the case of fanfiction, an argument that is at least not invalid.) </rant>
I would assume people probably think this because they don't want their characters to be gay or the fact that Toriyama tends to draw his gay characters stereotypically gay (e.g. General Blue, Otokosuki (his name also literally means "boy-crazy")). Although you could say Zarbon is drawn stereotypically gay, what with the whole eyelashes thing (and the stockings...is that what he wears?), he never acts overly gay like the characters I mentioned, more narcissistic. Just because the guy says he doesn't want to transform because it makes him ugly doesn't make him gay.

Anyway, I think characters can be gay without conforming to Toriyama's "rule". Some people believe that Future Trunks is gay. There are probably a lot of Future Trunks yaoi fanfics too. And we all know about the Tenshinhan and Chaozu fanfics...
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

nathantheguitarist
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nathantheguitarist » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:21 pm

Piccolo Daimao wrote:I would assume people probably think this because they don't want their characters to be gay or the fact that Toriyama tends to draw his gay characters stereotypically gay (e.g. General Blue, Otokosuki (his name also literally means "boy-crazy")). Although you could say Zarbon is drawn stereotypically gay, what with the whole eyelashes thing (and the stockings...is that what he wears?), he never acts overly gay like the characters I mentioned, more narcissistic. Just because the guy says he doesn't want to transform because it makes him ugly doesn't make him gay.

Anyway, I think characters can be gay without conforming to Toriyama's "rule". Some people believe that Future Trunks is gay. There are probably a lot of Future Trunks yaoi fanfics too. And we all know about the Tenshinhan and Chaozu fanfics...
Don't forget all of the Trunks and Goten stuff.

...and that's all I got for this subject. :|
Can't you see? He's the man. Let me hear you applaud. He's more than a man! He's a shiny golden god!

ShiningMoon
Beyond Newbie

Post by ShiningMoon » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:44 pm

Piccolo Daimao wrote:I would assume people probably think this because they don't want their characters to be gay or the fact that Toriyama tends to draw his gay characters stereotypically gay (e.g. General Blue, Otokosuki (his name also literally means "boy-crazy")). Although you could say Zarbon is drawn stereotypically gay, what with the whole eyelashes thing (and the stockings...is that what he wears?), he never acts overly gay like the characters I mentioned, more narcissistic.
Very true. If anything, I'd say this is representative of the real-life spectrum we see, of gay people who don't act stereotypically gay all the way through straight people who are associated with stereotypically gay characteristics. Though I'm sure Toriyama probably didn't think about it that much, nor probably 99.9% of the readers. XD

You know, for all the jokes and obviousness about Tenshinhan/Chaozu -- maybe I'm not looking hard enough (probably not, since I don't really seek 'em out) -- but I don't often stumble across fics of them.

Darkbloom

Post by Darkbloom » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:05 pm

I don't have anything against yaoi. I just don't like to ridiculous things they do to the characters. Not to mention how OOC they usually are. Perhaps the most irritating part of all is the way the try to get rid of the canon female characters that are with the various male characters to begin with. When they insult/kill Bulma/Chichi because they want Vegeta and Goku to be together, it just seems pathetic. In real life when two people are married and one of them realises they are gay, many of them just get a divorce because they aren't sexually attracted to their partner and don't have much of a sex life. In yaoi, it is necessary for the wife to be either a complete homophobic bitch who hates her husband or die in a housefire. Maybe this doesn't happen that much and I've just been reading the wrong stories, but to me this is just an egregious excuse to bypass canon and get Goku and Vegeta together.

ShiningMoon
Beyond Newbie

Post by ShiningMoon » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:26 pm

Darkbloom wrote:I don't have anything against yaoi. I just don't like to ridiculous things they do to the characters. Not to mention how OOC they usually are. Perhaps the most irritating part of all is the way the try to get rid of the canon female characters that are with the various male characters to begin with. When they insult/kill Bulma/Chichi because they want Vegeta and Goku to be together, it just seems pathetic. In real life when two people are married and one of them realises they are gay, many of them just get a divorce because they aren't sexually attracted to their partner and don't have much of a sex life. In yaoi, it is necessary for the wife to be either a complete homophobic bitch who hates her husband or die in a housefire. Maybe this doesn't happen that much and I've just been reading the wrong stories, but to me this is just an egregious excuse to bypass canon and get Goku and Vegeta together.
Oh, yes, I totally agree on that point. (Rather, those points.) I feel like I mentioned something related earlier but it might have been part of a long post that I shortened. XD I hate it when (in your example of Goku and Vegeta, which I think is the most common one) the two of them go to happy OOC land, their wives die/do something awful to justify their leaving/etc./etc., all to get the characters together. Then again, I'm a crazy person who would rather have a long, unresolved, ambivalent relationship deal. Plus, such [awful] fics seem to imply that the only possible relationship is a clean-cut, monogamous one, and that the characters must be either gay or straight.

In short, thanks for pointing out all of the most annoying things about bad yaoi fics. (Not to say some similar things don't happen in other, "straight" fics; god knows the success rate for writing Vegeta in-character [with anybody, Bulma included] is alarmingly low. Or maybe I just have a really pessimistic view of Vegeta/am way too picky.) I think these things are probably what gives yaoi fics such a bad name.

All that being said, I used to write a lot of Goku/Vegeta and (if I were ever so bold to go back and read fanfiction I wrote five years ago :lol: ewwww) and I'm sure I was guilty to some degree of at least one of those things in at least one of the stories I wrote. But no more! That's for sure. @_@ (No more being guilty of that stuff, I mean -- not no more Goku and Vegeta.)

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:55 pm

Darkbloom wrote:I don't have anything against yaoi. I just don't like to ridiculous things they do to the characters. Not to mention how OOC they usually are. Perhaps the most irritating part of all is the way the try to get rid of the canon female characters that are with the various male characters to begin with. When they insult/kill Bulma/Chichi because they want Vegeta and Goku to be together, it just seems pathetic. In real life when two people are married and one of them realises they are gay, many of them just get a divorce because they aren't sexually attracted to their partner and don't have much of a sex life. In yaoi, it is necessary for the wife to be either a complete homophobic bitch who hates her husband or die in a housefire. Maybe this doesn't happen that much and I've just been reading the wrong stories, but to me this is just an egregious excuse to bypass canon and get Goku and Vegeta together.
That's exactly why I never at cons take pics of cosplayers doing yaoi pics of characters who don't swing that way.

Kiyza
Regular

Post by Kiyza » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:18 pm

I too dislike yaoi for similar reasons. It's not that guy on guy romance bothers me, I'm perfectly fine with. What does bother me is how it's generally out of character and is often poorly written. But then again, I can say this about a lot of fanfiction. I'm fine with yaoi so long as it makes sense and the characters are canonically gay, or at least heavily implied to be gay. For instance, I don't think I'd have any issues with General Blue developing a crush on Taopaipai or something because the series seems to almost blatantly states that he's gay. But Goku and Vegeta or Piccolo and Gohan falling in love is just something I can't see happening. Goku and Piccolo have virtually no concept of love, Goku thinks it's strange that Chi-Chi likes him and Piccolo thinks that love is weird, and Gohan and Vegeta both have relationships with women in the series. Sure there's nothing saying that they couldn't be bisexual, but there's certainly nothing that points to it either. I find it unusual that authors pair characters up just because they think it would be hot if two male (or sometimes Namekian :shock:) characters were in love with one another. Maybe it's just because I don't care for romance in general, but this is just my general thoughts about it.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:24 am

Kiyza wrote:I too dislike yaoi for similar reasons. It's not that guy on guy romance bothers me, I'm perfectly fine with. What does bother me is how it's generally out of character and is often poorly written. But then again, I can say this about a lot of fanfiction. I'm fine with yaoi so long as it makes sense and the characters are canonically gay, or at least heavily implied to be gay. For instance, I don't think I'd have any issues with General Blue developing a crush on Taopaipai or something because the series seems to almost blatantly states that he's gay. But Goku and Vegeta or Piccolo and Gohan falling in love is just something I can't see happening. Goku and Piccolo have virtually no concept of love, Goku thinks it's strange that Chi-Chi likes him and Piccolo thinks that love is weird, and Gohan and Vegeta both have relationships with women in the series. Sure there's nothing saying that they couldn't be bisexual, but there's certainly nothing that points to it either. I find it unusual that authors pair characters up just because they think it would be hot if two male (or sometimes Namekian :shock:) characters were in love with one another. Maybe it's just because I don't care for romance in general, but this is just my general thoughts about it.
Something I've always wondered...how the hell did Chi-Chi get Goku to have sex with him? I know the DBZ Abridged series tries to help us out with it, but seriously...Goku probably gets more excited by Cell than he does Chi-Chi.
Last edited by Piccolo Daimao on Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:17 am

Velasa wrote:The best unusual relationship fic I've ever come across has been the same for eight years- Bucky's classic Piccolo and Chichi. They're awkward as hell to make work but when you do it right everything just falls in line and works out.

I... hate trying to make named links. I really hate it.
Damn. I got up to Chapter 4, and then it said "An error was made while processing your request." And now I can't even view it at all. I was really getting into it as well. :(

Great Saiyaman I
Regular

Post by Great Saiyaman I » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:46 am

FanFiction's been doing that a lot lately. Try reloading the chapter before it and click the link again.
-The Great Saiyaman
Herms wrote:
Nex Carnifex wrote:Herms can you translate the whole thing
No.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:12 am

Great Saiyaman I wrote:FanFiction's been doing that a lot lately. Try reloading the chapter before it and click the link again.
Done that. Still not working. I sent them an email about it. Just waiting for a reply now.

Great Saiyaman I
Regular

Post by Great Saiyaman I » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:33 am

Normally if I wait for a while it will fix itself, but emailing might fix it too.
-The Great Saiyaman
Herms wrote:
Nex Carnifex wrote:Herms can you translate the whole thing
No.