Top Disliked Moments

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Top Disliked Moments

Post by dbgtFO » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:28 am

dbgtFO wrote:
ssjcj wrote:I don't like the fact that every arc, except Cell, Goku defeats the villain. When you have such a large cast wouldn't it be better to have Vegeta, Piccolo, Tenshinhan or Gotenks save the world? It can become a bit predictable, especially in the Freeza arc.
Goku didn't defeat Vegeta, Krillin, Gohan and the Genkidama did.
Goku didn't kill Freeza(he defeated him though), Future Trunks did.
Goku didn't defeat Kid Buu either, the Genkidama with the genki/ki whatever from Gohan, Goten, Trunks and every person on Earth and the persuasion of Mr. Satan did. Goku just needed his power back to make the Genkidama a succes.
Where did my post go??? :evil:
EDIT: If my original post appears after this is posted feel free to delete this, as I'm only posting it to show my reply to ssjcj

ssjcj
Beyond Newbie

Post by ssjcj » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:31 am

dbgtFO wrote: Goku didn't defeat Vegeta, Krillin, Gohan and the Genkidama did.
Goku didn't defeat Kid Buu either, the Genkidama with the genki/ki whatever from Gohan, Goten, Trunks and every person on Earth and the persuasion of Mr. Satan did. Goku just needed his power back to make the Genkidama a succes.
Against Vegeta, Goku had the big fight with him, made the Genkidama and orchestrated Vegeta's defeat.
I'll concede the Trunks Freeza fight. Though I always classed it as in the Cell arc and so it isn't the last (and therefore the biggest) fight of the arc.
Goku ultimately defeated Kid Buu, everyone gave Goku energy but Goku landed the final blow.

I didn't word my original post in the way I wanted to. My main point is that I felt frustrated that there are a lot of great characters in DragonBall who are not used to their full potential.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:45 am

ssjcj wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Goku didn't defeat Vegeta, Krillin, Gohan and the Genkidama did.
Against Vegeta, Goku had the big fight with him, made the Genkidama and orchestrated Vegeta's defeat.
I'll concede the Trunks Freeza fight. Though I always classed it as in the Cell arc and so it isn't the last (and therefore the biggest) fight of the arc.
Goku ultimately defeated Kid Buu, everyone gave Goku energy but Goku landed the final blow.

I didn't word my original post in the way I wanted to. My main point is that I felt frustrated that there are a lot of great characters in DragonBall who are not used to their full potential.
1. Goku still didn't defeat Vegeta, because he wasn't fighting material once Krillin and Gohan arrived and even though it was Goku, who passed on the Genkidama to Krillin, told Gohan to push it back at Vegeta and told Gohan to look at the false moon, it still wasn't Goku, who defeated him, Goku just guided the others into defeating the main villain, just like in the Cell arc, where he guided Gohan inot unleashing his full power.

2. I always saw an arc ending when the main villain is finally defeated meaning the Freeza arc ends after Freeza's death by Trunks.

3. Man I will stay say, that it was the Genkidama, that did the job, as it was shown it had the power to kill Buu, all it needed was that extra push, which Goku gave it.

4. I agree, the Earthling characters are almost completely useless by the Androids arc, and no one of them has a proper fight, as they get curbstomped on every occasion.
I did like the fact, that normal fighting wasn't enough in the end and that Satan played an important part in saving the world.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:23 pm

Bulma going for Vegeta. WHAT? It never made much sense. I understand she can be slutty but come on! Vegeta, at that point still wanted to kill them. I do like Trunks though so, meh. Catch 22 situation.

Also, too many SSJ! Goten can!?! GOTEN CAN!?! I hate that.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:19 am

Attitudefan wrote:Bulma going for Vegeta. WHAT? It never made much sense. I understand she can be slutty but come on! Vegeta, at that point still wanted to kill them. I do like Trunks though so, meh. Catch 22 situation.
Obviously, it was just an excuse to have Trunks. But, as I've mentioned before, my fanon explanation for Bulma going for Vegeta is that Yamcha and Bulma had an argument after paranoid Bulma wrongfully accused Yamcha of cheating because of his female attention, in which they broke up for good (This is whereTrunks saying that Yamcha was "not faithful" stems from). Seeking solace, she seduced Vegeta and BAM, you got yourself a half-Earthling Super Saiyan with a sword!
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:46 pm

Gohan, Goten, Trunks and Piccolo getting left on the Earth when Buu blew it up.
The one thing I didn't want to happen... -.-
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

powerupguy
Beyond Newbie

Post by powerupguy » Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:51 pm

penguintruth wrote:
I could care less about whether or not Piccolo can match Freeza. No, rather, I knew he wouldn't. At least when Vegeta fought him, there was a past there, there was a reason for him to want to defeat Freeza, even though you know he isn't going to win.

Um you need to watch this arc again because if you had been paying attention one of the main reasons they were fighting freeza was because of his killing of the nameks. So really both vegeta and piccolo have a reason to defeat freeza. Have to pay closer attention to those little details :wink:

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:58 pm

Aside from Nail being inside him, Piccolo shouldn't give two damns about the Namekians. He has no memory of being from there, he's never lived there, and frankly I'm guessing he'd find it insufferably boring there with their weak and docile people. There's not nearly as much history there as there is with Vegeta and Freeza. I didn't give a damn if Piccolo avenged the Namekians, because they were a boring race of push overs. Even Chaozu could have wiped out the entire Namekian race.

As a viewer, do you really care if Piccolo avenges his race? Because I wanted to get to more of Vegeta fighting Freeza. Suddenly Piccolo cares about his home planet? Who cares? You know it's all a bunch of lead-up to Goku coming, anyway.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:11 pm

penguintruth wrote:Aside from Nail being inside him, Piccolo shouldn't give two damns about the Namekians. He has no memory of being from there, he's never lived there, and frankly I'm guessing he'd find it insufferably boring there with their weak and docile people.
Which he admits when Gohan asks him why he didn't go with the other Namekians after Freeza's first defeat.
penguintruth wrote:There's not nearly as much history there as there is with Vegeta and Freeza. I didn't give a damn if Piccolo avenged the Namekians, because they were a boring race of push overs. Even Chaozu could have wiped out the entire Namekian race.
Nail and the three other warrior type Namekians would rip Chaozu's head off though and with ease.
penguintruth wrote:As a viewer, do you really care if Piccolo avenges his race? Because I wanted to get to more of Vegeta fighting Freeza. Suddenly Piccolo cares about his home planet? Who cares? You know it's all a bunch of lead-up to Goku coming, anyway.
I cared! Piccolo is my favourite character anyway, so I'm biased, but nevertheless I would have enjoyed that far more than Vegeta avenging his stupid murderous race, and then Piccolo should have ended Vegeta along with Freeza just to fulfill my fanboy dreams :lol:

powerupguy
Beyond Newbie

Post by powerupguy » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:55 pm

dbgtFO wrote:
penguintruth wrote:Aside from Nail being inside him, Piccolo shouldn't give two damns about the Namekians. He has no memory of being from there, he's never lived there, and frankly I'm guessing he'd find it insufferably boring there with their weak and docile people.
Which he admits when Gohan asks him why he didn't go with the other Namekians after Freeza's first defeat.
penguintruth wrote:There's not nearly as much history there as there is with Vegeta and Freeza. I didn't give a damn if Piccolo avenged the Namekians, because they were a boring race of push overs. Even Chaozu could have wiped out the entire Namekian race.
Nail and the three other warrior type Namekians would rip Chaozu's head off though and with ease.
penguintruth wrote:As a viewer, do you really care if Piccolo avenges his race? Because I wanted to get to more of Vegeta fighting Freeza. Suddenly Piccolo cares about his home planet? Who cares? You know it's all a bunch of lead-up to Goku coming, anyway.
I cared! Piccolo is my favourite character anyway, so I'm biased, but nevertheless I would have enjoyed that far more than Vegeta avenging his stupid murderous race, and then Piccolo should have ended Vegeta along with Freeza just to fulfill my fanboy dreams :lol:
^ agreed

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:04 pm

I agree with penguintruth if only because Piccolo's role in both the Freeza and Cell arcs was nothing but blue balls upon blue balls.

Freeza arc: Piccolo's back! He's been powered up by Kaio's training, and now he's locked on and ready to kick butt! (Sorry. Couldn't resist.) Then he encounters the beaten Nail and get a HUGE power up! Now Freeza's really screwed. Piccolo's the strongest thing ever! Oh. Wait. No he's not. Freeza's kicking his ass, and now Piccolo's immediately useless again.

Cell arc: Piccolo's kicking artificial human ass! But, oh, #17 takes him out. But that's okay. He's going to merge with Kami-sama and become stronger than ever before! He's dominates Cell, and he's even a match for #17! Not even the Super Saiya-jin can compare. Piccolo's the strongest thing ever! Oh. Wait. No he's not. Cell's kicking his ass, and now Piccolo's immediately useless again.

What a waste... :cry:
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Ussj Future Trunks
Regular

Post by Ussj Future Trunks » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:18 am

Dragonball - Drags on too much and I grow tired of it being Goku centric.
Saiyan Saga - Raditz died too fast and was too weak. How everyone just dies and is useless barring Goku and Gohan, never to regain their uses again. Gohan is a bit of a puss and annoying but that's forgiven because he's only 5.
Namek - One of my favourites so barely any complaints.
Frieza - Way too long in the anime, and not enough good fights. And I hate Linda Young, but Ayres made me like Frieza. Too much ridiculous zenkais for Goku and Vegeta.
Garlic Jr - Boring and drags on the series needlessly.
Trunks - Huge Gary Stu pwns Mecha Frieza who should have been a badass, same with King Cold. What a waste.
Androids - Too little happening between Gero escaping and Cell appearing imo. And anticlimactic to have 19 and 20 be an old man and a fat clown and be soo weak.
Cell - Nothing much. Excellent villain and saga. Just how Goku is such a dick with giving Cell a senzu for no reason. And Krillin dooming the universe because of one kiss.
Buu - Lots. Buu himself is really annoying, his forms are convoluted, resulting in endless power level debates. Gohan gets a power up for nothing. Gotenks gets a power up for nothing. Vegeta blows himself up for nothing. SSJ3 is pointless. Goten and Trunks get SSJ too easily. Too many dumb ass decisions to make the final Kid Buu fight hard to win when it really didn't need to be.
GT - dull uninspired one sided fights, everyone but Goku is mostly useless, not enough Vegeta, not enough Gohan, the villains are kinda ridiculous. Plot holes cause fanbase to just ignore it when I don't think it's that bad.
Movies - Only Goku gets hax and kills every single villain. Same story for almost every movie. Some get underrated because they liked a villain's previous form more because he was "lyke so much stronger" (Bio Broly). Uninspired plots with ridiculous powerups and plot holes, forever confusing the fans as to who is stronger.
Filler - Needlessly long. Some episodes are almost entirely comprised of flashbacks and standing around powering up, or pointless side stories with characters we don't care about. Thank god for DB Kai.
How Goku is such an utter dick.
Broly in general.
How the fanbase overrates and wanks certain characters and ignores anyone who likes something they don't.
English dub lovers crying about DBZ Kai just because it doesn't have the old voices and Faulconer. Makes me lose faith in the entire fanbase.
Wankers in some dbz forums calling others "sad noob dumb motherfuckers" because they don't agree. No need to give DBZ a bad name.
How everyone non saiyan gets tossed aside and made completely useless by Buu Saga, especially Piccolo and Tien. I mean Toriyama, he's your favourite character and yet Piccolo gets roflstomped and ignored all the damn time. You claim to hate Vegeta but he got more badass moments than anyone.
The Daiz and its errors, especially with the dubious "interviews with Toriyama".
Simian upstart...none surpass me. No one even comes close! BURN THIS INTO YOUR MIND! I am emperor of the universe. The likes of you are only fit to grovel at my feet. Or better still...to be crushed...LIKE AN INSECT AT THE WHIM OF YOUR MASTER!

- Freeza, DBZ Kai.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:00 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:I agree with penguintruth if only because Piccolo's role in both the Freeza and Cell arcs was nothing but blue balls upon blue balls.

Freeza arc: Piccolo's back! He's been powered up by Kaio's training, and now he's locked on and ready to kick butt! (Sorry. Couldn't resist.) Then he encounters the beaten Nail and get a HUGE power up! Now Freeza's really screwed. Piccolo's the strongest thing ever! Oh. Wait. No he's not. Freeza's kicking his ass, and now Piccolo's immediately useless again.

Cell arc: Piccolo's kicking artificial human ass! But, oh, #17 takes him out. But that's okay. He's going to merge with Kami-sama and become stronger than ever before! He's dominates Cell, and he's even a match for #17! Not even the Super Saiya-jin can compare. Piccolo's the strongest thing ever! Oh. Wait. No he's not. Cell's kicking his ass, and now Piccolo's immediately useless again.

I agree with penguintruth (Nail's presence inside Piccolo practically disappears post-Freeza arc anyway, unless you count him hanging around Dende, but still--the guy doesn't even want to hang around with his own boring race), but not with you, because that pretty much happens with every Z-Warrior in the series. For example, Vegeta.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:04 pm

So... because it happens to a whole bunch of characters means that you don't agree that it happens to Piccolo...?
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:09 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:So... because it happens to a whole bunch of characters means that you don't agree that it happens to Piccolo...?
No, it just sounded like Piccolo was the only character this happened to. And it seems to be a kind of "tradition" in Dragon Ball: good guy powers up, bad guy gets owned, bad guy powers up (or bad guy says "lol I was holding back" oh shock horror :shock: ), good guy gets owned. Rinse and repeat.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:10 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:So... because it happens to a whole bunch of characters means that you don't agree that it happens to Piccolo...?
No. He is just having a bad day.
In his own words:
Piccolo Daimao wrote:
Savage68 wrote:
Piccolo Daimao wrote: Opinion, not fact.
''Obviously not serious to begin with" is more like it.
I've been having too many idiot moments today... :(
:mrgreen:

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:37 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:I agree with penguintruth if only because Piccolo's role in both the Freeza and Cell arcs was nothing but blue balls upon blue balls.

:lol:
I agree, but the way you put it is hilarious!
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

Travis Touchdown
Regular

Post by Travis Touchdown » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:15 pm

I hated Goku abandoning his family to go train a complete stranger he has no emotional attachment to.

I like to think Neko Majin Z is canon where it shows Goku training Uub at the Son residence. How they ended up there, who knows? Maybe Goku felt bad, maybe Gohan tracked him down and soundly kicked his ass and made him go back. Either way would work for me.
"Hey girlfriend, why don't you throw a few more punches? Afraid you might break a nail or somethin?"
Ken - Street Fighter II

Coola Yagami
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Coola Yagami » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:08 am

I agree with the Neko Majin part, especially since it kinda looked like Toriyama's version of GT had GT not happened with his own version of teen Pan and Uub.

I guess I wish the humans had more screentime or not shown at all. I mean to the average non-fan viewer, we got like 7 or so big bad-ass martial artists showing up at the Cell Games, and only 2 of them actually fight Cell and the rest either go down with the Cell Jrs or just watch and say 'oooh' and 'ahhh'. It sickens me how super bad-ass Ten Shin Han looked (big friggin buff dude) and did barely nothing the entire saga cept the Shin Kikoho scene. I wish they'd either get more involvement or just not show up at all.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:50 pm

Travis Touchdown wrote:I hated Goku abandoning his family to go train a complete stranger he has no emotional attachment to.

I like to think Neko Majin Z is canon where it shows Goku training Uub at the Son residence. How they ended up there, who knows? Maybe Goku felt bad, maybe Gohan tracked him down and soundly kicked his ass and made him go back. Either way would work for me.
I don't think Goku would feel bad, especially when he was quite happy to stay dead for 7 years in Heaven while his wife was managing two children. I like to think that part in Neko Majin Z is canon too. I also like to think that Goku accidentally killed Oob with a Kamehameha because he was a waste of a character and a poorly-disguised Gohan clone, and instead focused on training himself rather than bothering with his two kids who, frankly, just didn't give a crap about training and wanted to actually do something with their lives.