BleedingCool News claims Toriyama is writing new Dragon Ball

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Saimaroimaru
Advanced Regular

Re: BleedingCool News claims Toriyama is writing new Dragon Ball

Post by Saimaroimaru » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:58 pm

LeprikanGT wrote:As long as it isn't like combining other characters into the canon manga; I will LOVE this. I'd want a continuation of the Z story...not a farce or him just playing cameo time with his other characters.

I want more action packed adventure! I know knowing about something SO early, then you have all that wait time.

Goten and Trunks can replace Vegeta and Goku and Uub can replace ultimate Gohan....although for the love of Kami, do N.O.T. abandon everyone else like Gt did.

Gt = Whats a Tenshinhan, Yamcha, or Krillin? I know Krillin was that little moustache guy that was killed and Goku found out and didn't seem to get pissed.....what happened the time before the last time Krillin died? Oh yeah! a fricken SUPER Saiyan transformation. [Slight sarcasm of course, but a valid point still]
Gt:Who is Master Roshi?

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:00 pm

He must have been that bandanad fellow at the last episode. We NEED random cutscenes to Roshi explaining things for us.

MasterVampire
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by MasterVampire » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:32 pm

I cant see this being set after the end of DBZ

I mean goku, vegeta, gohan, buu and piccolo are the strongest in the universe now.

And even if some bad guy was stronger (yeah right how conveinent, remember back when freezer set the bar) they could just do fusion.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:12 pm

Ah! It just occurred to me, VIZ's "game changing" news; I bet it's an official website for hosting manga; like a manga version of hulu or crunchyroll. They'd probably have only the most current week's chapter for their ongoing series hosted for free, but if you want to look at them after the first week/in much higher quality, or look at previous weeks' chapters, you'd have to pay a fee.

I still want new DB though; as long as they use the current cast. I don't care about DBO's/DB Heroes original character NPC heroes.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:51 pm

Has...anyone even brought up that Toriyama barely remembered even half of what he wrote for the series? o_o;

I doubt he'd wanna go back and relive what he hated doing for 10 years.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/TsukentoX]YouTube Profile[/url]

Perfect
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Perfect » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:05 am

He didn't hate doing it, judging by his interviews, he enjoyed it. Just not so much deadline Hell.
Fox666 wrote:It seems you have pissed a lot of people on this forum, and I am quite sure they would like to call you stupid and say that's the designated adjectives for you. But they don't do that because of there are rules in this community.

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:29 am

Perfect wrote:He didn't hate doing it, judging by his interviews, he enjoyed it. Just not so much deadline Hell.
Exactly, he seemed to be passionate to the series, but really didn't like being held by a weekly schedule, like several manga-ka in fact (this situation is really reminiscent to Kurumada's, as he also hated a weekly deadline...but, I'm crossing fandoms)

Where did the whole "He meant to end the series at *insert saga" even come from? I'm sure he decided to end it when it ended, but besides some power scaling after Freeza (damage from attacks were scaled back), it doesn't seem to be the case that he wanted to stop early.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:30 am

Last edited by AnimeMaakuo on Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:42 am

Even if he DOES hate the deadlines that he used to have...he has had .....Well over a decade since the final Z chapter right? I'm sure he has fresh ideas...I just hope they stay in the same lines as Z did.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:46 am

Chuquita wrote: I have serious doubts that something this big would first show up somewhere that isn't in Japan.
True, but the upcoming American Godzilla movie was first mention on Bloody Disgusting without any information from Toho at the time back in August 2009. Then months later it turn out to be a official, and some projects can be keep under wraps without lettings fans know about it months later.

Afterall Godzilla is a bigger franchise then Dragon Ball ;).
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Perfect
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Perfect » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:46 am

He did rewrite and redraw the final bit of Z for the kanzenban release.
Fox666 wrote:It seems you have pissed a lot of people on this forum, and I am quite sure they would like to call you stupid and say that's the designated adjectives for you. But they don't do that because of there are rules in this community.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:04 am

Mewzard wrote:Where did the whole "He meant to end the series at *insert saga" even come from? I'm sure he decided to end it when it ended, but besides some power scaling after Freeza (damage from attacks were scaled back), it doesn't seem to be the case that he wanted to stop early.
Basically, Toriyama wanted to end it after nearly every major story arc. He doesn't like doing large works. Freeza comes up the most because it's the first 'ending' in Z, it wraps the entire story of Goku's life nice and tidy, and the stitches used to force the story to continue are so damn blatant.

Godo
I Live Here

Post by Godo » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:35 am

Being an university student, I don't believe anything if there is no source presented.
And I don't think that anyone should too.
I mean, for all we know it could just be some rumor, and we are eating the bait.
Sure, it would be nice with a continuation, but after all this time, I wouldn't care that much.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:36 am

He ended the series 15 years ago, and I don't see why he can't work on a new series? I mean Lucas return to Star Wars 16 years after ROJ back in 1983, and Anno return to Evangelion 10 years after End of Evangelion back in 1997. I believe the Saint Seyia creator did the same thing as well IIRC?
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:42 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:
Chuquita wrote: I have serious doubts that something this big would first show up somewhere that isn't in Japan.
True, but the upcoming American Godzilla movie was first mention on Bloody Disgusting without any information from Toho at the time back in August 2009. Then months later it turn out to be a official, and some projects can be keep under wraps without lettings fans know about it months later.

Afterall Godzilla is a bigger franchise then Dragon Ball ;).
There's a reboot of the U.S. Godzilla movie franchise coming out? I do remember there being one years and years ago, but even though I never saw it I'd read it was pretty unfaithful to the original (something about U.S. Godzilla looking more like a raptor or something about him being female and laying eggs with lots of mini evil baby godzillas that hatched out of them? And that one of the Japanese movies that came out afterward referred to that version of Godzilla as basically an "in name only" thing that wasn't the real one? I could be wrong.)

I'd be interested to see what comes of it this time and if it'll be more like the Godzilla movies from Japan.

It would be really interesting if Toriyama does decide to continue DB. If it's weekly deadlines that kill him, maybe he could go with a monthly magazine (VJump?) and have it published there instead. I follow several series that only come out once a month; I wouldn't mind new monthly DB. :3 (Though weekly would be better.) I've been dying for new DB material ever since seeing the Jump Tour special. If new chapters could continue on in that vein of humor, I'd be really happy with it.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:53 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:He ended the series 15 years ago, and I don't see why he can't work on a new series? I mean Lucas return to Star Wars 16 years after ROJ back in 1983, and Anno return to Evangelion 10 years after End of Evangelion back in 1997. I believe the Saint Seyia creator did the same thing as well IIRC?
Kurumada had to prematurely end Saint Seiya back in 1990 (last tankobon was out in 1991 iirc). It continued 15 years later with Saint Seiya: Next Dimension in 2006 (Shonen Champion, not Jump. Full color chapters, but only released in short burst. We just got chapter 29 a month or so back. This year, he's finally releasing them at a reasonable pace), not to be confused with the non canon spin-offs Saint Seiya: Episode G (started in 2002, but is in hiatus), and Saint Seiya: Lost Canvas (started in 2006, 200 chapters in, has to be ending soon, with how few enemies are left <_<), which weren't done by Kurumada, but approved to be done. Heck, if you want to stick with Kurumada, he came back to his first hit work, Ring ni Kakero (1977-1983) just a few years back (Ring ni Kakero 2, from 2000-2009).

And yes, Evangelion had quite a long leap from the last movie, like you said. Also, Tenchi Muyo's 3rd OVA took around 10 years to finally get made. George Lucas keeps coming back to Star Wars, even though some don't want him too, lol. Greg Weisman came back to Gargoyles after 9-10 years with a comic book sequel (good read). I could keep going, but then it'd get redundant.

The point is, people can always change their minds. I imagine that his involvement with some of DBO might have inspired him to get back into the Dragon Ball game. Look at Dr. Slump, he came back to Dr. Slump after a decade for a 3-4 volume run, and I heard he did a one-shot chapter a few short years ago.

Add to that information that said article comes from a place where inside information that isn't sourced has been proven fairly accurate, and I would at least be 50-60% okay with the possibility.

And Zilla, as Toho names him, appeared in the last Godzilla movie, Final Wars (2004), along with most of the Godzilla monsters. Zilla was taken out fast by Godzilla, and the villain questioned the usefulness of a lizard. So, the American film did happen, it was just unrelated to the real Godzilla.

So, where should the DB continuation be? Shonen Jump (Monthly)? or maybe one of the rivals, for a twist (Shonen Sunday, Shonen Magazine, Shonen Ace, Shonen Champion, etc)?
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:07 am

Nuova wrote:Now that I have read that article I can't calm down! Man if this turns out to be false I'm gonna be PISSED! :evil:
I'd rather be SUPERHAPPY if it is true, because until I hear or read this from Akira Toriyama-sensei, I won't believe it is true.

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:53 am

AF! AF! AF!

AnimeMaakuo wrote:I call bullshit on that article. I won't believe it until it's presented.
You mean released?

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:31 am

Goddammit, my mind is asleep...
Bleeding Cool wrote:And it’s in that environment that Akira Toriyama has been persuaed to return to creating new chapters. Partly to help promote the game, partly to earn the boat load of cash he has been promised.
Oh well, I was hoping for something to explain where Goku and Oob ended up, GT did an ok job with that, but I'd love to see his take on it, I guess it will be a DBO manga if it IS true that he's doing it, that is.

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:32 am

Though there isn't anything to back this up...

Horrifyingly accurate details on DBE were released first through chud.com, quite a while before anything official started happening.
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).