How would you do "The History of Trunks"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kid Buu
I Live Here

How would you do "The History of Trunks"

Post by Kid Buu » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:51 pm

The History of Trunks is one of the more interesting aspects of Dragon Ball, and I felt the TV Special didn't capitalize on its potential as it could have. How would you have done it? And yes, I know the anime version was different from the manga version too.

Here's how I would have done it.

(1) The original Goku Vs. Mecha Freeza & King Cold battle
(2) The three year gap (Goku's Death, Vegeta going SSJ, Trunks birth)
(3) The battle against Android #19 & Android #20
(4) The battle against Android #17 & #18
(5) Gohan's first SSJ
(6) The rest would play as the original TV Special did.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Bardo117
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: How would you do "The History of Trunks"

Post by Bardo117 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:00 pm

That's a little too long, no?
El Conejo Malo

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:06 pm

Bardo117 wrote:That's a little too long, no?
Possibility, most DBZ movies/TV special are usually shorter then the usual 90 minutes.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:10 pm

Forget Trunks.

Two hour movie with just 17 and 18 having fun killing people in different ways.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Bardo117
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bardo117 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:17 pm

penguintruth wrote:Forget Trunks.

lol I probably wouldn't pay for that.
El Conejo Malo

Perfect
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Perfect » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:28 pm

Screw #s 17 and 18, let's go with Imperfect Cell.
Fox666 wrote:It seems you have pissed a lot of people on this forum, and I am quite sure they would like to call you stupid and say that's the designated adjectives for you. But they don't do that because of there are rules in this community.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:45 pm

I would touch up the animation in a few spots and redo some of the fight scenes. They just aren't very creative in a few spots and it bothers me.

Trunks going Super Saiyan over Gohan's corpse, while different from the Manga, was amazing. Keeper.

T Pac
Not-So-Newbie

Post by T Pac » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:16 pm

I wouldn't change too much -- this was easily my favorite of the movies/specials, and probably the thing I consider most canon past the manga. That said, I do think it would be cool to see the Goku vs. Freeza/Cold fight.

The worst thing about the special was that it introduced Masako Nozawa as the voice of adult Gohan. Not sure if that was pre-planned, but I find it's the worst VA selection in the entire series.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:06 pm

Bardo117 wrote:

Actually, forget the special. I want a video game where you can play as one of the androids and just go around slaughtering innocents.

Think GTA meets DBZ.

I actually originally wanted a video game like that where you play as Buu.
T Pac wrote:The worst thing about the special was that it introduced Masako Nozawa as the voice of adult Gohan. Not sure if that was pre-planned, but I find it's the worst VA selection in the entire series.
Yeah, because they totally were going to change Gohan's voice, right?
Last edited by penguintruth on Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Can I get a Schemen?

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:07 pm

There is a vehicular homicide sequence in the original special, so it's not like it's that far off already.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Gogeta 00
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gogeta 00 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:09 pm

penguintruth wrote:
Bardo117 wrote:

Actually, forget the special. I want a video game where you can play as one of the androids and just go around slaughtering innocents.

Think GTA meets DBZ.
Something tells me that would get very boring, very fast lol.
[url=http://daizex.fanboyreview.net/viewtopic.php?t=9403] 12 years, 100 memories[/url]
[Former dub fan 1996-2008]

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:14 pm

Well, I guess, I don't know, Super Saiyans come and challenge you now and then?

Shut up, it's a good idea. :(

Can I get a Schemen?

Jon Jon
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jon Jon » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:29 pm

It would definitely be interesting to see how the original time line played out visually. Maybe we could start a petition to Toei to make it :P

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:17 am

Duo wrote:I would touch up the animation in a few spots and redo some of the fight scenes. They just aren't very creative in a few spots and it bothers me.

Trunks going Super Saiyan over Gohan's corpse, while different from the Manga, was amazing. Keeper.
Arguably the best transformation in the series.
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

Ussj Future Trunks
Regular

Post by Ussj Future Trunks » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:26 am

Tone down Future Gohan and just keep him a weakling like in the manga. Add the battle between Vegeta/Z fighters and 17 and 18.
Simian upstart...none surpass me. No one even comes close! BURN THIS INTO YOUR MIND! I am emperor of the universe. The likes of you are only fit to grovel at my feet. Or better still...to be crushed...LIKE AN INSECT AT THE WHIM OF YOUR MASTER!

- Freeza, DBZ Kai.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:16 am

Kingdom Heartless wrote:
Duo wrote:I would touch up the animation in a few spots and redo some of the fight scenes. They just aren't very creative in a few spots and it bothers me.

Arguably the best transformation in the series.
Super Saiyan Goku in Movie 5 and Super Saiyan 2 Gohan in the series are the only ones I like more.

Ahiru77
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ahiru77 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:12 am

I wouldn't change a thing. It's a perfect piece.

Sun-Wukong
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Sun-Wukong » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:27 pm

Get rid of both of Gohan's arms and give him an eye-patch!
/jk

But really, I'd like to see the original fight with Mecha Freeza and King Cold; I imagine the other fighters would have to hold their own until Goku got there and he would still need their help, what with King Cold there and everything. That means we'd finally get to see Tenshinhan fight Freeza, oh yeah.

That's all I can think of right now, I haven't actually watched it in a while to be honest.
This will never not be my sig:
VegettoEX wrote:"Snoop Lion" is just a character he's playing for his reggae album and documentary. Him saying that it's his new name is all part of the character.

I can't believe this is on-topic.

Nazi Cola
Advanced Regular

Post by Nazi Cola » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:45 pm

Ussj Future Trunks wrote:Tone down Future Gohan and just keep him a weakling like in the manga.
Yes, god, yes! I'm so sick of people overrating Future Gohan as if he could be on par with the fighters 3 years later, or even beat them. It's ludicrous. "If Gohan had both arms..." Yeah, if Gohan had both arms it'd just be another arm for the Cyborgs to have fun blowing off!

I'd also add in the battle with Freeza & King Cold. Maybe then we'd get to see Cold actually do something, even if it is non-canon.
CatouttaHell wrote:I guess he's just impossibly powerful and he now gets thrills from letting things go as much to hell as possible before busting out his ultimate power and ending the villain or some shit.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:23 am

Sun-Wukong wrote:I'd like to see the original fight with Mecha Freeza and King Cold; I imagine the other fighters would have to hold their own until Goku got there and he would still need their help, what with King Cold there and everything. That means we'd finally get to see Tenshinhan fight Freeza, oh yeah.
Didn't Goku teleport there anyway though? That means the Z-Warriors wouldn't have to hold their own, because Goku would just kill Freeza and King Cold.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.