Bruce Faulconer didn't make his own music?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TVfan721
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Bruce Faulconer didn't make his own music?

Post by TVfan721 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:23 pm

So, in one of the articles written on DBZOA and DBZ Uncensored 2, it was claimed that Bruce Falconer wasn't solely responsible for the soundtrack he's credited with and had a team of ghostwriters helping him with all aspects of the music. Is this the case?

To GSM777's credit, there was a actually a guy in 2008 that made several comments on You Tube. He said he worked on Bruce's team during DBZ and he actually said the exact same thing that GSM777 claimed. Has anyone ever heard anything about this?
Last edited by TVfan721 on Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Bruce Falconer didn't make his own music?

Post by Metalwario64 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:24 pm

tvfan721 wrote:To GSM777's credit, there was a actually a guy in 2008 that made several comments on You Tube. He said he worked on Bruce's team during DBZ and he actually said the exact same thing that GSM777 claimed. Has anyone ever heard anything about this?
Yes, he's a member of this very forum. He goes by the username of "cRookie_Monster".
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

TVfan721
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Bruce Faulconer didn't make his own music?

Post by TVfan721 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:25 pm

Yes, that was the name! Cool, I didn't know he posted here.

Bardo117
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bardo117 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:25 pm

Yeah his music DID get better after the Frieza saga...
El Conejo Malo

cRookie_Monster
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by cRookie_Monster » Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:05 am

I prefer to call the music "Faulconer Productions" music.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_sXOquzxps

Actually Mike Smith (my coworker) was there at Faulconer Productions from the beginning. He was hired a by Faulconer a year before me. I came on as a music editor (though the job ad was labeled "assistant composer") with episode "Frieza Fighting Power One Million?"

(Episode 93 "Keep the Chance Alive")
(1:22 to 3:44)

I started adding real guitar into the tracks beginning with a track in the Garlic Jr Saga erroneously called "Gohan Fights Frieza" (originally used for Gohan killing the Spice Boys)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-WFjpRCSlc
(The power chords starting at 0:13)

Unfortunately I had to leave the studio near the beginning of the Heaven's Tournament, so after that, all the guitar was synth again. The Grand Kai and Pikkon themes were my last arrangements\performances for the show.

Can you link the article you were talking about?
I did find this:
http://animecauldron.com/dbzuncensored2 ... hives.html
which has some interesting stuff in it ^^. Ah the bad old days of only seeing hatred for the dub score on the web. I actually agree with a lot of the detractors' points, but w/e. That's a whole nother discussion.
Last edited by cRookie_Monster on Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:20 pm, edited 4 times in total.
- Scott
http://morganstudios.com

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:14 am

Well I love The Dead Zone track. It's rippin' with guitar. Anyways, I prefer many of the Frieza saga songs. I don't know why, but they're just great! I didn't like some of the Buu saga-Cell saga songs because of this screeching guitar that sounds so bothersome. But Faulconer music is pretty awesome overall (well at least for me).

Really though, the Garlic Jr saga ost's are actually one of the best; it deserves more credit.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

cRookie_Monster
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by cRookie_Monster » Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:38 am

Attitudefan wrote:Well I love The Dead Zone track. It's rippin' with guitar. Anyways, I prefer many of the Freeza saga songs. I don't know why, but they're just great! I didn't like some of the Buu saga-Cell saga songs because of this screeching guitar that sounds so bothersome. But Faulconer music is pretty awesome overall (well at least for me).

Really though, the Garlic Jr saga ost's are actually one of the best; it deserves more credit.
Thanks man :) Garlic Jr series was the first time I got to work on a lot of themes. That was fun even it was goofy filler ^^

Yeah the synth guitar could get grating sometimes... =\ I definitely hear you there.
- Scott

Patient-mental
Beyond Newbie

Post by Patient-mental » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:22 am

You arranged the Paikuhan theme? That's so unfair, out of all of the themes, you arranged the one which still absolutely blows my mind still to this day?
Well done! I'd love to see that played by you, even if it is synthy and not in the theme of dragon ball i still really enjoy that techno piece. It is a little frustrating that you can't disclose things for legal reasons but, meh, that's how things are.
Hope life's treating you well mate.

Ahiru77
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ahiru77 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:57 am

Lies, ALL LIES!

He's a musical genius.

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:42 am

Bardo117 wrote:Yeah his music DID get better after the Freeza saga...
And had more variety aswell.

But "Ginyu Transformation" was just badass.

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:53 pm

I was going to attempt to say that I don't mind the synth guitar. Then I realized that coming up with a decent substitute with the rolland synth that comes with windows doesn't strike me as difficult. Well, in the case of the "Gohan gets mad and pwns things" song. Which I guess predates the improvements that worked for the later sagas. (I don't find the synth in Buu-saga stuff bothersome at all... it's kinda impressive, really...)

Now, if only there were such a thing as decent synth brass. Aside from the never-seen-in-DBZ French Horn... XD
(Ok, so I do have a keyboard with decent brass, but it doesn't interface with anything. It's from like 1993. :) :D )

I feel kinda odd, now, as I remember liking the deadzone theme a lot, but don't really remember what it sounds like. :(. *Goes on a quest to regain memory*
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

TVfan721
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TVfan721 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:21 pm

cRookie_Monster wrote:

Can you link the article you were talking about?
I did find this:
http://animecauldron.com/dbzuncensored2 ... hives.html
which has some interesting stuff in it ^^. Ah the bad old days of only seeing hatred for the dub score on the web. I actually agree with a lot of the detractors' points, but w/e. That's a whole nother discussion.

Sure thing man. It's VERY hard to read because there's barely any structure to the editorial. I'll post the link but I'll also copy and paste the part where he said it. I warn you though man, the article was crazy so don't be freaked out if you decide to click on the link, haha.

"And Faulconer does NOT collaborate with top musicians across America like Toei did for Japan. However- he does hire SOMEBODY- ghost writers to mix and create his own music for him! That's right, Bruce Faulconer doesn't actually make all of his own music even though he takes full credit for it and pretends that he does! Notice how the music quality improved slightly when the Garlic Jr. saga began? That's because Bruce brought in a bunch of kids fresh from college to help him out starting at around that time!

So let's get this straight- Toei does the equivalent of hiring Japanese pop and rock and orchestral quality music of what it'd be like if Faulconer had hired musicians like Britney Spears, Led Zeppelin or the New York Symphony Orchestra, or any orchestra for that matter. He can't even afford one of the smaller orchestras with the shoestring budget he has. Instead of collaborating with top elite artists from across the country, Faulconer hires a bunch of kids fresh from college (either the one he used to go to or just a local college) and claims their work as his own. Even worse, usually the good songs AREN'T the ones he personally records, they're just the ones made by others. And even your high leader Fukunaga agrees with me too!"

http://animecauldron.com/dbzuncensored2 ... unter.html

GizmoKSX
Beyond Newbie

Post by GizmoKSX » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:53 pm

It's always a shame when musicians/composers aren't properly credited. I didn't realize until a few months ago when Scott posted here that Faulconer didn't handle everything.
By the way, the "Darth Vegeta" theme is awesome. Nice shredding!
I can see their parachutes.

cRookie_Monster
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by cRookie_Monster » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:20 pm

Piccolo Daimaoh wrote: But "Ginyu Transformation" was just badass.
That's actually 100% Bruce himself. His best work imo.
Patient-mental wrote:You arranged the Paikuhan theme? That's so unfair, out of all of the themes, you arranged the one which still absolutely blows my mind still to this day?
Well done! I'd love to see that played by you, even if it is synthy and not in the theme of dragon ball i still really enjoy that techno piece. It is a little frustrating that you can't disclose things for legal reasons but, meh, that's how things are.
Hope life's treating you well mate.
Thanks! :)

I do little hints of it in places:
At 4:05 I hint at the ending arps in this vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gf-jKLjxpc
Part 1 is really the same sounds as the slower section of the Pikkon theme:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEpTuRjHpHM

I did this alt silly hip hop track for Pikkon as well. http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=6596443
which became a rap http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPkythqcIpU
caejones wrote:I was going to attempt to say that I don't mind the synth guitar. Then I realized that coming up with a decent substitute with the rolland synth that comes with windows doesn't strike me as difficult. Well, in the case of the "Gohan gets mad and pwns things" song. Which I guess predates the improvements that worked for the later sagas. (I don't find the synth in Buu-saga stuff bothersome at all... it's kinda impressive, really...)

Now, if only there were such a thing as decent synth brass. Aside from the never-seen-in-DBZ French Horn... XD
(Ok, so I do have a keyboard with decent brass, but it doesn't interface with anything. It's from like 1993. :) :D )

I feel kinda odd, now, as I remember liking the deadzone theme a lot, but don't really remember what it sounds like. :(. *Goes on a quest to regain memory*
[edit---oops that wasn't you saying you didn't like the screechy leads---different people ^^]
Hmm, there's not really that much leads in the show beyond the synth stuff so I'm not sure what you were calling "screechy" then. Here's some leads that weren't synth:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PQrreNS_AE (0:27) (Frieza's Death)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciOZEpdPzpA Heroic Trunks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M954D_jyJbQ Vegeta Theme
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcgJZCTpMco Dead Zone- which you liked ^^
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_3JjkliWys Wrestling Rock

Not a whole lot more than that in the show really, besides the main theme (which was Bud Guin)

The stuff that grates on me after a while is this kind of thing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nEt-0Tdf0U

though it works really well in parts of "16 Rips off Cell's Tail"
Last edited by cRookie_Monster on Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
- Scott

TVfan721
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TVfan721 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:22 pm

cRookie monster, that article I linked, was it true or an exagerration? I'd love to get your opinion on it because this whole thing is pretty interesting and I know nothing about Bruce Faulconer.

GS7X7
Advanced Regular

Post by GS7X7 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:25 pm

Jon Allen was the main source for this, a topic he did about it at Shadows of Namek.

Also, I don't hate Funimation nearly as much as I used to. Bear in mind we're discussing something I wrote over 6 years ago. Their music's not terrible for the dub, it's just that compared to the original music it usually sucks. (the tv specials are amazing! Movie 6 was good too, but Movie 7 was really horrendous)

Also, somebody from the company e-mailed me about this 2 years ago. Well, an ex-composer actually. I told him I wouldn't say his name but I know that he REALLY does NOT like Faulconer much. I remember we exchanged a lot of old gossip while we were talking to each other.

As for Faulconer, I don't hate the guy really since I don't know him and that kind of thing is probably pretty common in the music biz.

One thing though.... in JA's interview with Faulconer he asks him a question, "hey, were you inspired by music from the Japanese DBZ games cause it sounds familiar." I've always thought that Faulconer's people he hired may have been DBZ fanboys that played that stuff emulated and that may be where the similarities arised.
Last edited by GS7X7 on Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sean Schemmel is THE MAN! :)

Me- "Also, before anyone mentions it, Schemmel's interview was from nearly 15 years ago. He paid a brief visit to Kanzenshuu's forums a few years back and earned legendary respect that cancels out anything he said from that long ago. :D"

cRookie_Monster
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by cRookie_Monster » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:25 pm

Oops hard to not to triple post with so many people I'm replying to. ^^ I'll make a new post!
tvfan721 wrote:
Sure thing man. It's VERY hard to read because there's barely any structure to the editorial. I'll post the link but I'll also copy and paste the part where he said it. I warn you though man, the article was crazy so don't be freaked out if you decide to click on the link, haha.

"And Faulconer does NOT collaborate with top musicians across America like Toei did for Japan. However- he does hire SOMEBODY- ghost writers to mix and create his own music for him! That's right, Bruce Faulconer doesn't actually make all of his own music even though he takes full credit for it and pretends that he does! Notice how the music quality improved slightly when the Garlic Jr. saga began? That's because Bruce brought in a bunch of kids fresh from college to help him out starting at around that time!

So let's get this straight- Toei does the equivalent of hiring Japanese pop and rock and orchestral quality music of what it'd be like if Faulconer had hired musicians like Britney Spears, Led Zeppelin or the New York Symphony Orchestra, or any orchestra for that matter. He can't even afford one of the smaller orchestras with the shoestring budget he has. Instead of collaborating with top elite artists from across the country, Faulconer hires a bunch of kids fresh from college (either the one he used to go to or just a local college) and claims their work as his own. Even worse, usually the good songs AREN'T the ones he personally records, they're just the ones made by others. And even your high leader Fukunaga agrees with me too!"

http://animecauldron.com/dbzuncensored2 ... unter.html

Can't comment on much of that...but I will say again that "Ginyu Transformation" is all Bruce...and I have a strong belief that the most popular one, "SSJ3 Power Up", is 100% his as well. That one was done after I left, and Mike has told me he didn't work on it.
- Scott

GS7X7
Advanced Regular

Post by GS7X7 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:35 pm

As for the article in question, it is extremely negative (those were very different times back then, heh) but I guess I'm pretty proud of it since the info on Faulconer is pretty legit albeit presented in a much more negative tone then I'd use today.

tvfan721- "Sure thing man. It's VERY hard to read because there's barely any structure to the editorial. I'll post the link but I'll also copy and paste the part where he said it. I warn you though man, the article was crazy so don't be freaked out if you decide to click on the link, haha."

Hello again tvfan721! This is like the 4th, 5th, 6th or whatever time you've done a topic complaining about me and trying to encourage others too. I get that you don't like me- you've made that blatantly obvious. But what I don't get is why you insist on repeatedly mentioning some article I wrote years ago just to complain about it. I'm just curious. And how many more topics do you plan on doing about random things I wrote on DBZU 2 ages ago?
Last edited by GS7X7 on Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sean Schemmel is THE MAN! :)

Me- "Also, before anyone mentions it, Schemmel's interview was from nearly 15 years ago. He paid a brief visit to Kanzenshuu's forums a few years back and earned legendary respect that cancels out anything he said from that long ago. :D"

T Pac
Not-So-Newbie

Post by T Pac » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:35 pm

Interesting stuff.

I'm curious as to who actually wrote most of the music, though.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:45 pm

While we're at it, I have one question that's been bugging me. Was the Episodic Trunks theme ever intended for any particular scene and just wasn't picked up ala Fr­ieza's Death?
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler