The Harmony Gold Dub

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

The Harmony Gold Dub

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:48 am

Hey guys. I was wondering, does anybody have footage of the Harmony Gold dub? I've heard audio clips here and there, but I haven't seen the actual footage. The usual response I get is, "Dude, you don't want to watch it, it's terrible." Well, I'm sure it is terrible, but it is out of curiosity and interest that I want to see it. I don't expect to be entertained in the sense of it being good dub...but it would be interesting to see how they edited the footage together and how they treated the scripts.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Re: The Harmony Gold Dub

Post by linkdude20002001 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:30 am

I don't know for sure if they dubbed the TV series. As for the movie, Meri has it, but it's in her basement somewhere. Maybe she can get Mike to dig it out out us! :P

Sangofe mentioned having it, but not knowing where it is.

Oh, and the first episode of Dr. Slump was on YouTube once... If anyone has it still, PLEASE let me know!
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

skatezeppelin
Beyond Newbie

Post by skatezeppelin » Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:04 am

This is sort of unrelated, but I have never seen this before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVrVTinO ... re=related
I wanted a mission, and for my sins, they gave me one.

PuppetDoctor
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PuppetDoctor » Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:08 am

skatezeppelin wrote:This is sort of unrelated, but I have never seen this before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVrVTinO ... re=related
That was the Dragon Ball Opening in Canada that aired on YTV. Its in the description of the Youtube video but yeah I have seen it plenty of times.

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:59 am

I remember for a while the Harmony Gold dub for Dr. Slump was on YouTube for a while, along with a few clips from Dragon Ball.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:36 am

And...you wouldn't happen to have that episode, would you?? Please tell me you saved it! :cry:

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:47 am

I'd much rather get ahold of the Creative Products Corp dub for DBZ movie 6, as I only have access to stuff rom the fifth movie.

I need to hear what the VAs for Vegeta and Dende were like in that dub so I can add them to my comparison charts.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Tweaker
Regular

Post by Tweaker » Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:45 pm

What genuinely surprised me about the Harmony Gold dub of Dragon Ball is that despite changing names all over the place for pretty much no reason, they not only kept the original background score, but they dubbed over the opening too! Given how liberal a lot of dubbing companies are with changing the music to "better fit an American audience," that was a pretty cool thing to do. Granted, it wasn't a great dub of the theme--it didn't even try and be accurate--but it should have set a precedent for future dubs. It's pretty disappointing that it didn't.

Daimo-Rukiri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:33 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyYCW9OPbFY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKETw2HDDzk

I would seriously like to see Barbara Goodson voice Son Goku with better voice direction!
Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Dragon Ball Hero's Spirit development blog - An Action-RPG coming soon to monitor near you!
https://dragonball-hs.tumblr.com/

Chibi Gohan
Regular

Post by Chibi Gohan » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:54 am

Whiskers the wonder cat..

Probably my choice for funniest name change in the Harmony dub.
I have a Dragon Ball collection of sorts which can be seen here.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:53 am

Love that second link, the one with the collection of all three opening theme versions, but someone should definitely let him know that the second one has nothing to do with Saban or Ocean.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:13 am

I have several times. He said I was wrong and ignored me when I told him it says otherwise in the credits. :/

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:15 am

Oh. That makes me sad. Well, I already posted a comment to be lost in the deluge of YouTube idiocy. Time will tell... Probably tell the same story your story told, though. :cry:
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:24 am

YouTubers make me sad... :(

But in regards to the Harmony Gold Dub, a YouTuber posted in the comments for that video...and he HAS it! :D
I've already sent him a message. I hope he can rip it for us! :D

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:29 am

I forgot how much I love Goku's voice in this dub.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:01 pm

I think all the voices are great aside from "Marylin" (Lunch). But maybe good Lunch sounds better...?

Daimo-Rukiri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:48 pm

I have watched watch HG dubbed and even though it's edited and the names are changed I actually liked it, wish they didn't change anything.. Goodson has always been my favourite "Kid" Goku. If they stuck to the original names and were a bit more faithful the dub probably would have gone on much further.
Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Dragon Ball Hero's Spirit development blog - An Action-RPG coming soon to monitor near you!
https://dragonball-hs.tumblr.com/

ThunderPX
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ThunderPX » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:48 pm

I always thought it was interesting that "Flying Nimbus" originated in this dub.
I'm Rosie (she/her). My username is a chuuni holdover from nearly two decades ago :shock:

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:13 pm

Daimo-Rukiri wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyYCW9OPbFY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKETw2HDDzk

I would seriously like to see Barbara Goodson voice Son Goku with better voice direction!
Probably due to typecasting, I can see her more as Baba or Frieza.

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:53 am

linkdude20002001 wrote:I think all the voices are great aside from "Marylin" (Lunch). But maybe good Lunch sounds better...?
Do think "Marilyn" is a reference to Marilyn Monroe? Seems like a bit of a coincidence to me.