What manga inspired and were inspired by Dragon Ball?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Naughty Kinto Un
Beyond Newbie

Re: What manga inspired and were inspired by Dragon Ball?

Post by Naughty Kinto Un » Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:50 pm

Chibi Mystic Gohan wrote:
Naughty Kinto Un wrote:Astro Boy's hair turns blond (or at least lighter) when he's powered up in The Greatest Robot in the World storyline. I don't know if that influenced the SSJ form, but it certainly says that Dragon Ball wasn't the first to employ that sort of spiky, blond "level up" hairdo.
Did it really? I picked up that part of the manga after finishing Urasawa's Pluto (it should've been the other way around, since I'm kinda a Tezuka fan... I just don't care for his kid stories as much), and I don't remember that happening. Could just be my faulty memory...
I'll post a snapshot of the page after I get back from the East Coast in a couple days.

It occurs when Dr. Tenma multiplies Astro Boy's horsepower on the operating table. Astro Boy's hair lightens up, he awakens, eyes full of intensity, and, without uttering a word, rockets off to fight Pluto. I've read the story a few times and I'm certain it's there. If it's not, it's only because I'm confusing it with another Astro Boy story. The Mighty Atom is the legendary SSJ, I swears.

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:56 pm

Actually, that does sound a little familiar... Did it stay like that for the entire battle? Did it ever happen again?
君と再会ったとき 子供のころ大切に想っていた景色を思い出したんだ
僕と踊ってくれないか 光と影の Winding Road いまでも彼に夢中なの?

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:32 am

Piccolo Daimao wrote:No, it's stated here (since the stupid link doesn't work, when you get to GHZ, click on "Museum" and go to Sonic 3; it's at the bottom of the page under "Miscellanea") that Sonic 3's Special Stages were inspired by Kaio's planet, what with the whole rotating aspect of it and all. I've seen it stated in other places too.
Is there any official source for that though, besides some fansite? Also, any official source for the other claims of Sonic stuff being based off DB stuff, or Naka being a DB fan? Not that I necessarily think there's nothing to it, I just like to see sources for stuff.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:11 am

Herms wrote:
Piccolo Daimao wrote:No, it's stated here (since the stupid link doesn't work, when you get to GHZ, click on "Museum" and go to Sonic 3; it's at the bottom of the page under "Miscellanea") that Sonic 3's Special Stages were inspired by Kaio's planet, what with the whole rotating aspect of it and all. I've seen it stated in other places too.
Is there any official source for that though, besides some fansite? Also, any official source for the other claims of Sonic stuff being based off DB stuff, or Naka being a DB fan? Not that I necessarily think there's nothing to it, I just like to see sources for stuff.
Well, GHZ appears to be a pretty reliable Sonic site, but unfortunately, I can't remember the other places I've seen it mentioned, or whether they were official or not. But I'm sure Yuji Naka is a Dragon Ball fan though.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:21 pm

I remember hearing that Battle Powers were inspired from the Warsman vs Buffaloman battle in the old Kinnikuman series. Any truth to that?
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Naughty Kinto Un
Beyond Newbie

Post by Naughty Kinto Un » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:19 am

Chibi Mystic Gohan wrote:Actually, that does sound a little familiar... Did it stay like that for the entire battle? Did it ever happen again?
It stays for the entire battle. It doesn't happen again to the best of my limited knowledge.

Here are the pages. I don't have a working scanner so I had to make do with crappy snapshots on photo booth. These are all the pages of blond Astro.

I love that storyline, by the way.