Does anyone TRAIN in real life?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Does anyone TRAIN in real life?

Post by Kendamu » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:29 pm

Rawring Ninja wrote:I was just about to start learning Tae Kwan Do, but my mom kinda... overreacted when I told her that I wanted to do it. ^^;;
So I just workout, and Dragon Ball Z is the reason I got interested in martial arts, exercising even, or anything... physical, really. XD I was very unactive as a younger child, I'd do nothing, until I saw Dragon Ball Z, and then I wanted to go Super Saiyan! So yea...
Your mom overreacted to point sparring with lots of padding?
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:09 pm

I've always wanted to take up martial arts, but I've always ended up not signing up for anything because...I guess I'm just lazy. I'm fit, I do like running and I'm interested in martial arts (which was partly influenced by my love of Dragon Ball), but I'm just not a club kind of person. Plus, I'm doing exams and I'm not sure whether I'll even have time.

Perhaps I will join a martial arts club in the future. I want to have a new hobby and be able to defend myself if I get into fights. It's just a matter of whether or not I can be arsed to sign up and go, and if I'm confident enough to not give up when I fail at something.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

cRookie_Monster
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by cRookie_Monster » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:02 pm

I did a little tai kwon do when I was in like 6th grade.

My wife is a ninja though. She's done Akido, Iaido(black belt), Kendo, and some Tai Chi and Yoga as well ;)

She won a national tournament in Iado about a year ago in her division (before she got the "black belt")
- Scott
http://morganstudios.com

Travis Touchdown
Regular

Post by Travis Touchdown » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:58 pm

I do, and thanks to Halloween, I now have a Dragon Ball gi. :D Only I will ever find that amusing.

I got into Tae Kwon Do partially because of Dragon Ball. My friends and my main influence was Street Fighter, but we used to joke about shocking our teacher if we were to suddenly have Dragon Ball Z-esque powers and fly all over the gym in a brawl as epic as SSJ2 Goku vs. Majin Vegeta.

I did Tae Kwon Do up until I injured my leg, then I got into Boxing for a while. My influence there was Rocky. I also had to take a Defensive Tactics course for my Associate's Degree in Criminal Justice. I learned a handful of take downs, arm locks, and pressure points there.

Eventually I got back into Tae Kwon Do, I still train in Boxing, and last year I started Isshinryu Karate. I found an at-home Nunchuck course. It's at nunchaku.org if you're interested. I'm sure it's nothing compared to actually having a teacher show you live in person, but hey, you could learn a thing or two if you practice enough anyway. And it's free. Can't really argue with free.

I also occasionally practice stuff taught by ChosunNinja & his affiliates on YouTube. There's a Jujutsu teacher under him that I've learned a handful from. I also bought a couple of books to supplement here or there; The Tao of Jeet Kune Do (awesome book btw), Bruce Lee's Fighting Method both by Bruce Lee, & Vital Point Strikes by Sang Kim.

And of course, as embarrassing as it is to admit, I also work on my cardio through TaeBo a lot, since it mixes Boxing and Tae Kwon Do, along with regular weight training courtesy of Scooby's Workshop. I also tried out Tai Chi I do, and thanks to Halloween, I now have a Dragon Ball gi. :D Only I will ever find that amusing.

I got into Tae Kwon Do partially because of Dragon Ball. My friends and my main influence was Street Fighter, but we used to joke about shocking our teacher if we were to suddenly have Dragon Ball Z-esque powers and fly all over the gym in a brawl as epic as SSJ2 Goku vs. Majin Vegeta.

I did Tae Kwon Do up until I injured my leg, then I got into Boxing for a while. My influence there was Rocky.

Eventually I got back into Tae Kwon Do, I still train in Boxing, and last year I started Isshinryu Karate. I found an at-home Nunchuck course. It's at nunchaku.org if you're interested. I'm sure it's nothing compared to actually having a teacher show you live in person, but hey, you could learn a thing or two if you practice enough anyway. And it's free. Can't really argue with free.

I also occasionally practice stuff taught by ChosunNinja & his affiliates on YouTube. There's a Jujutsu teacher under him that I've learned a handful from.

And of course, as embarrassing as it is to admit, I also work on my cardio through TaeBo a lot, since it mixes Boxing and Tae Kwon Do, along with regular weight training courtesy of Scooby's Workshop. I also tried out Tai Chi, Jukado, & Jukajutsu (this one I'd never heard of before) but I didn't like either of them. I didn't retain anything from the very limited time spent in them.
Last edited by Travis Touchdown on Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Hey girlfriend, why don't you throw a few more punches? Afraid you might break a nail or somethin?"
Ken - Street Fighter II

Rawring Ninja

Post by Rawring Ninja » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:29 pm

Kendamu wrote: Your mom overreacted to point sparring with lots of padding?
Yup. She's just a little overprotective. She apparently believes that if I'm left alone for more than two minutes that I'll be abducted, and that if I take Tae Kwan Do or any other form of martial arts that I'll get hurt to the point of hospitalization.

Or something like that.
Air is only important when you don't have any.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:39 pm

Rawring Ninja wrote:
Yup. She's just a little overprotective. She apparently believes that if I'm left alone for more than two minutes that I'll be abducted, and that if I take Tae Kwan Do or any other form of martial arts that I'll get hurt to the point of hospitalization.

Or something like that.
My mom hated contact sports, too, but for some reason she didn't mind martial arts.
(they/she)

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:52 pm

Rawring Ninja wrote:

Or something like that.
Want to get in my truck? I have Dragon Boxes. :mrgreen:

Rawring Ninja

Post by Rawring Ninja » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:09 pm

Kendamu wrote: My mom hated contact sports, too, but for some reason she didn't mind martial arts.
My mom won't even let me play tackle football. It was a hassle convincing her to even let me go to the gym and play basketball. Though I think that when I can start driving and have a job to pay for my own stuff... she'll probably have no problem with me taking martial arts.

Castor Troy wrote:
Stranger danger?
Air is only important when you don't have any.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:43 pm

I didn't realize that there were so many people who train, want to train, or had trained at one point on this forum. It's probably because some members are new and the rest were never too vocal about it all at once.

For those of you who are interested, I'm starting a new thing on Sparking Turtle called "Wild Project Battle Geek +." I made it a separate title from Sparking Turtle so that it doesn't have to exclusively cover Dragonball, but at the same time I want to keep it a part of Sparking Turtle because it'll be a part of what I wanted Sparking Turtle to be all along: a chronicle of my training and adventures that are inspired by geeky things (especially Dragonball).

It'll be starting up next month. I'll be getting my new camera to start working on it all sometime tomorrow.

Hopefully, I'll somehow find a way to get other people across the globe who watch it involved so we can all be accountable for each others' progress.
(they/she)

Questrider
Beyond Newbie

Post by Questrider » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:13 pm

Very suprised at how many people train! Good for you guys!
Tonight is my last training session before my big test on Saturday. I'll be sure to let you know how it goes. I feel prepared and focused and just hope I break my board on my first attempt!
-Questrider

Travis Touchdown
Regular

Post by Travis Touchdown » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:09 pm

Good luck!

Don't psyche yourself out. Size yourself up only twice and then go for it. I sort of blew my breaking part of my Junior Black Belt test. I say sort of, cuz even though I broke all of my boards, my first few attempts didn't go so well. :oops: I was so scared that I sized myself up 5 or 6 times. My teacher said that after twice you begin to doubt yourself.
"Hey girlfriend, why don't you throw a few more punches? Afraid you might break a nail or somethin?"
Ken - Street Fighter II

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:39 pm

Also, if it's multiple boards, pretend that the first few aren't even there. If it's one board, pretend it's not there and aim past it... just like punching a person in the face!
(they/she)

Snail
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Snail » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:05 pm

Castor Troy wrote:
Castor, you left your suit in the crib.

SegaSaturnGamer

Post by SegaSaturnGamer » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:39 am

I practice Judo and Boxing including Boxe Francaise AKA Savate.
http://quizilla.teennick.com/user_image ... _full.jpeg

Rosette Christopher, the Sexiest and deadliest Nun to ever exist in fiction!

Questrider
Beyond Newbie

Post by Questrider » Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:25 pm

Passed! Earned my Advanced Gold belt (yellow belt with black stripe) after a succesful exam.
Broke my board on my first attempt (skipping side kick) and shattered the fucker. Was pretty pumped after that. Next up: Green belt in March!!

Keep training hard everyone and keep reporting your stories!

Kiup!
-Questrider

LilKokuLink
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by LilKokuLink » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:31 am

Although it's not under the category of martial arts, DragonBall motivated me to take up boxing and just build muscle in general.
Actions have reactions so don't be quick to judge, you may not know the hardships that people don't speak of.
Dub fan.
Naveed.