Does anyone TRAIN in real life?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Questrider
Beyond Newbie

Does anyone TRAIN in real life?

Post by Questrider » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:33 pm

Just curious.

I know we all love DBZ but was anyone else influenced enough to learn martial arts, whether it be Taekwondo, Judo, etc?

I started training in Taekwondo in mid-July and have been going 3 nights a week ever since. I am now getting ready to test for my high gold belt and in March, I'll be testing for my green.

My interest in Taekwondo came from my love of DBZ and simply wanting a better understanding of the martial arts in general. Granted, a lot of the fighting we see in DBZ is lighting fast and while I'll never be able to go "Super Saiyan", I am still having the time of my life simply learning.

Anyone else out there train?
-Questrider

Great Saiyaman I
Regular

Re: Does anyone TRAIN in real life?

Post by Great Saiyaman I » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:40 pm

I know Kendamu trains a lot. He has a Dragon Ball/martial arts website.
-The Great Saiyaman
Herms wrote:
Nex Carnifex wrote:Herms can you translate the whole thing
No.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:48 pm

Doesn't Gokuh use something more like kung fu?
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:53 pm

I train! I also run http://www.sparkingturtle.com/

Really, though, it seems that the "martial artists who also really like Dragonall" fanbase is super small.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:58 pm

Last edited by AnimeMaakuo on Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

Post by NeoKING » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:07 pm

I hope to start kick-boxing or boxing next year(though, I really have a thing for the disciplines of Jeet Kun Do). As a hobby, of course. I've always been kinda interested in martial arts... So if I do start then I'll be a martial artist who's into Dragon Ball :D.

Questrider
Beyond Newbie

Post by Questrider » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:12 pm

Nice to see I'm not the only one.

@Kendamu-
What martial arts to do you study? Belt?

I tried to check out Sparking Turtle but I'm at work so most of the content is blocked. What is the purpose of your site?
-Questrider

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:19 pm

Back in high school, I took Tae Kwon Do and got up to my first degree Black Belt. DBZ was a big inspiration in helping me out. :P

After that, I got lazy in the times of peace. I still remember how to do a lot of my moves, but I get serious cramps.

Ahiru77
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ahiru77 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:21 pm

Train ? Oh no, not me. I might actually break a sweat. Image

MetalMadness
Beyond Newbie

Post by MetalMadness » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:25 pm

Well I do vigourously weight train if that counts. In fact, DBZ had a lot if inspiration for me wanting to bulk up haha. I remember whenever I'd be struggling with weight I'd think of how Vegeta pushed himself in the gravity chamber when he was trying to become a Super Saiyan :P

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

Post by NeoKING » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:42 pm

This thread makes me remember the times in elementary school where I'd load up my book bag on purpose, and my mom would tell me not to but I always told her that "wearing heavy things would make me faster." Ha, if only the human body did operate on the same principles as an air-cushion :P!

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:46 pm

Questrider wrote:Nice to see I'm not the only one.

@Kendamu-

I tried to check out Sparking Turtle but I'm at work so most of the content is blocked. What is the purpose of your site?
Kickboxing. JKD Concepts. No belts. Threw some grappling in there, too, so I can roll with MMA guys.

Sparking Turtle is just a site that tries to throw a Dragonball spin on Martial Arts stuff that I talk about. Give it a look once you get home.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:50 pm

Kendamu wrote:
Questrider wrote:Nice to see I'm not the only one.

@Kendamu-

Kickboxing. JKD Concepts. No belts. Threw some grappling in there, too, so I can roll with MMA guys.

Sparking Turtle is just a site that tries to throw a Dragonball spin on Martial Arts stuff that I talk about. Give it a look once you get home.
My cousin and I were thinking of doing kickboxing since we thought belts were overrated.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:54 pm

I've taken a small smattering of martial arts classes, but never had the time or means to get very deeply into it, and only got the grasp of some extremely basic things. As far as simply "working out" goes, however, I do have a gym membership which I take advantage of multiple times per week. At the very least, that counteracts my "mediocre" eating habits and keeps me in decent shape.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:57 pm

I've done a small amount of Judo, Aikido and Tai Chi... not engaged enough to be messing with belts, though there are plans to go to Japan to train under Saito-sensei next summer (meaning I'll have to put in considerably more effort than I have so far. XD).

Dragonball certainly influenced my interest in qi... now if only I could figure out how to fly. :lol:
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:01 pm

I used to take some martial arts courses in the past, but life happens to drag me away from them.

I practiced Karate, Tae Kwon Do, and Hapkido. I got the green belt in Karate, and didn't do much with the other two.
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

StarRot
Advanced Regular

Post by StarRot » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:27 pm

Not training in any fighting styles currently, but I did formally and I want to start training again. Simply a matter of finding the time, though. I do however like working out as much as I can.

The fighting styles I did was Sambo, Krav Maga and a little bit of Systema (sans the fire arm training). I want to take up Kendo and/or Svebor at some point.
Last edited by StarRot on Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:01 pm

I was in TaeKwonDo for nine years and reached my second degree black belt. However, my start into martial arts preceded my Dragon Ball fandom by about four years. But for those last five years, Dragon Ball did occasionally get me "pumped" during my classes.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Snail
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Snail » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:10 pm

I wish I trained martial arts.

I do train in bodybuilding though. I tend to channel Vegeta in my sessions.

Godo
I Live Here

Post by Godo » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:21 pm

I trained Karate for 6 years. I got pretty good at sparring, although my weakness is that I can't go all out, since I don't want to hurt another person.
Nowadays I do cardio and bodybuilding. I try to not take the bodybuilding into the extremes, since we all saw how that went for Trunks!
My goals is to be able to defend myself, outrun someone who wants to hurt me, and survive kicks and blows without too much damage, as you kids like to jump on your victims' bodies nowadays, even when they are unconscious.