FUNimation and Toei announce online streaming of DBZ!

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

FUNimation and Toei announce online streaming of DBZ!

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:29 pm

Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

linkje

Re: FUNimation and Toei announce online streaming of DBZ!

Post by linkje » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:33 pm

US only :(

PuppetDoctor
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PuppetDoctor » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:36 pm

linkje wrote:US only :(
To be more accurate its U.S. and Canada only. Its about time and good news they are streaming episodes of Dragon Ball episodes. Although, the only thing of interest to me would be a simulcast of Dragon Ball Kai.
Last edited by PuppetDoctor on Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flamingwindjutsu

Post by Flamingwindjutsu » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:37 pm

And not just DBZ, but DB, DBGT, and DBZ Kai! Dubbed, and subbed! And uncut! This is quite possibly the greatest news ever.

linkje

Post by linkje » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:38 pm

Flamingwindjutsu wrote:And not just DBZ, but DB, DBGT, and DBZ Kai! Dubbed, and subbed! And uncut! This is quite possibly the greatest news ever.
So simulcast :D

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:39 pm

Hmm, according to the press release it'll be all the DragonBall series...

FUNimation will offer its professionally-produced, uncut, English-tracked and English-subtitled adaptations of the hugely successful series beginning with the first episode as well as other chapters of the Dragon Ball franchise: Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball GT and Dragon Ball Z Kai.

But why did they call it "professionally-produced". Very odd wording.

Edit: Oops, posted too late.
Last edited by Tanooki Kuribo on Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

linkje

Post by linkje » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:41 pm

Goku100xKamehameha
I Live Here

Post by Goku100xKamehameha » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:43 pm

So what if they will stream DBZ? Even if they use the Dragon Box footage, it's still has the best quality on DVD.
Tanooki Kuribo wrote:But why did they call it "prodessionally-produced". Very odd wording.
Indeed, it is.... :P

jpdbzrulz4sure
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by jpdbzrulz4sure » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:05 pm

I'm a little confused by the end of the announcement. It says that the next Dragon Box is coming out on February 8. Is that a typo? Because Right Stuf's listing still says it's been pushed back to late April.
-Joey

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:10 pm

I wonder if they're going to use Dragon Box footage for Dragon Ball Z or not...
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:10 pm

linkje wrote:Funimation blog says only Z
http://blog.funimation.com/2011/01/drag ... -episodes/
The mention of the other shows is buried in there, I missed it the first time too.
FUNImation wrote:FUNimation will offer its professionally-produced, uncut, English-tracked and English-subtitled adaptations of the hugely successful series beginning with the first episode as well as other chapters of the Dragon Ball franchise: Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball GT and Dragon Ball Z Kai.

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:14 pm

Nice! It sure beats all those illegal streaming websites that stream the 276-episode version and Kai fansubs.

Even though I have every episode on DVD, I still would like to check this out, especially with choice of dubs/subs. It's good for the newer/younger fans who may not be able to afford the DVDs or Blu-Rays, but want to view the series legally and with choice of language. It would be pretty awesome if FUNi eventually got streaming rights for Netflix, since I use Netflix for streaming movies/TV all the time.
Last edited by theoriginalbilis on Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:14 pm

Last edited by AnimeMaakuo on Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:25 pm

Typed and deleted a post. It's for the best.

Suffice it to say, let it be known that AnimeMaakuo does not speak for anyone but AnimeMaakuo.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:27 pm

AnimeMaakuo wrote:I seriously doubt it. What kind of profit would they make if they did that? I would sue them for abusing it's limited origins. What happens in the Dragon Box.. Stays in the Dragon Box! I mean, how pissed off would you be, if you spent only $700 for all the U.S Dragon Boxes.. Only to find that they put them on the internet for free lance. Wouldn't that make you mad? >:)
I mean, it's not that big of a deal. The Dragon Box DVDs are marketed towards a collector demographic; most of the people who want them will buy them. The Dragon Boxes come with optimal quality and solid extras/packaging. The online stream is not available to own or purchase, and it'll be a fraction of the quality of the actual packaged release. Plus, they'll probably put select episodes on rotation just like they do with One Piece's streams.

If anything, this is a good way to continue the longevity of the brand and keep it relevant.
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:32 pm

AnimeMaakuo wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:I wonder if they're going to use Dragon Box footage for Dragon Ball Z or not...
I seriously doubt it. What kind of profit would they make if they did that? I would sue them for abusing it's limited origins. What happens in the Dragon Box.. Stays in the Dragon Box!
I mean, how pissed off would you be, if you spent only $700 for all the U.S Dragon Boxes.. Only to find that they put them on the internet for free lance. Wouldn't that make you mad? >:)

-If FUNimation milks the Dragon Boxes... I swear... I'm going to group up an entire army of Dragon Ball fans, grab all their FUNimation merchandise, and barricade FUNimation.
Dude, it's a just a DVD release. I doubt Toei cares that much that they would sue over Funi using footage that they legally have the rights to.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:36 pm

Eh, I own the whole series on like 3 to 4 different formats; I'd only get excited if they were going to stream the uncensored version of Kai.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:39 pm

AnimeMaakuo wrote:I mean, how pissed off would you be, if you spent only $700 for all the U.S Dragon Boxes.. Only to find that they put them on the internet for free lance. Wouldn't that make you mad? >:)
I love physical media. I mean, I still buy CD's while music is one of the easiest things to get on the Internet. I do download music, but I like to have the corresponding CD just in case thing happen.

Choujin Daizenshuu
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Choujin Daizenshuu » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:41 pm

Well, I guess there is so much the franchise can be milked before the fans say "enough is enough". So, I guess the next best option for the franchise is to put it online for free.

Not that I'm complaining considering that us Canadians also have access. :D
AnimeMakuuo wrote:I seriously doubt it. What kind of profit would they make if they did that? I would sue them for abusing it's limited origins. What happens in the Dragon Box.. Stays in the Dragon Box!
I mean, how pissed off would you be, if you spent only $700 for all the U.S Dragon Boxes.. Only to find that they put them on the internet for free lance. Wouldn't that make you mad? >:)
Dude, you had people buying the series in singles format before it was abruptly cancelled in favor of season sets and were pissed off about that and you're making a big deal over possibly being screwed out of the Dragon Boxes in favor of free streams???

SuperSaiyan3Goku
Advanced Regular
Location: In the middle of nowhere, across from Planet Vegeta

Post by SuperSaiyan3Goku » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:44 pm

Just a few questions/thoughts running through my head. Not like there will be any answers, just throwin' them out there.ccc

1. Which footage will Dragon Ball Z use? The remastered or Dragon Box? They both have the same dub, aside from the music differences. If they do use the old footage, along with the Z Kai redub, then there will be two Dragon Ball Z dubs running around on the sites.

2. Are the movies included? What footage will they use, old singles, or the "Remastered" footage?
Next quest: Start collecting Dragon Ball Super Blu-Rays whenever season sets get released. Also the Super Manga!

Fan of Dragon Ball Z and various other Anime since '98! ^^

List of Anime I own or have watched - http://myanimelist.net/animelist/SSJ3Goku