Watch with parents/relatives

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Re: Watch with parents/relatives

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:08 am

I never even wanted to watch it with parents. However, when I was a kid and would record it when it came on, the recording process would be in my living room and my mom would occasionally pass by. Then one day during the "Android Saga," my mom proceeded to explain basically the entire storyline to my grandma. That threw me for a loop because I know she did not sit there watching it and she said that basically nothing happens in the episode so her walking past it once a day could basically help her piece together the story. That made me laugh... because it's true.

BobZ
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by BobZ » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:34 am

Ah, a trip down memory lane. Don't mind if I do. :)

Back in highschool DBZ was really hip and most of the guys from our class were fans. Only I remained a fan up to this point, but that is irrelevant to the story. :lol: Back then DBZ was airing on CN and RTL II. One of my friends would also ocasionaly receive VHS tapes of the Buu saga and random movies... in French. Which wasn't bad at all actually. Problem was that they were NTSC and our video players only played them in black and white or we just didn't know how to change the video mode. :P
But we often gathered at my friend's place to watch some movies. Watching the final episodes of the Buu saga was fun too, even though it made little sense to us, since we had only watched up to Cell at the time.

Some time later that particular friend got a PS2 and at a birthday party we played some Budokai 3. Good times.

Then a couple of years later, DBZ finished airing on RTL II and everybody forgot about it. Everyone but me. And I still tremble in anticipation of getting the new DBOX, which will let me rewatch a part of the series for the hundreth time again. And I've realised this is a feeling I really enjoy and want to keep. :) It's kinda sad that I can't share this with anyone else, but keepig it to myself is not half bad either. I actually do have a bud who's a fan almost as much as I am to this day, but we don't see each other too often, so... yeah.

Friggin_Krillin

Post by Friggin_Krillin » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:41 pm

My Father pushed my interest to the Original DB Series when it aired the first time. Two years later Z arrived and we recorded it on VHS and also watched it together until the End of the Cell Saga. Good old times..

SonEric84
Banned

Post by SonEric84 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:49 pm

Pretty much my whole intermediate family has enjoyed the show with me at one point or another. I also used to watch it with my older cousin after introducing him to it. He was a Vegeta fan until he found out he got together with Bulma and fathered Trunks. :lol:
Trans rights, now!

KKZ
Beyond Newbie

Post by KKZ » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:10 am

My mom likes it, her favorite episode is the driver's license one. My dad doesn't know anything about it and doesn't seem to be interested. I think he'd probably hate it, he complained all throughout Cowboy Bebop: The Movie, Metropolis, and Spirited Away. I would think those would generally be more palatable to most people than any Dragon Ball series, with the exception of Spirited Away perhaps. I haven't gotten my girlfriend to watch it with me yet and I'm not really gonna push it, but she's cool with me liking it. She was into it back when it was super popular so it shouldn't be too bad.
[quote="temujin"]Krillin,the guy is just a ridiculous midget without nose.Seriously, he looks like some kind of bizarre monster. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Krillin's head is also pretty big like a balloon. :lol: :lol: :lol:[/quote][quote="Thanos"]Eh... it gets kinda old hearing elitists say things like "IT SHOULD HAVE ENDED WHEN GOKU MET BULMA"[/quote]

Deadlyillness

Post by Deadlyillness » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:56 am

metamoss wrote:
Choujin Daizenshuu wrote:You and the family watched Dragon Ball: Evolution?

You poor soul... :(
it's worse for this one guy I know from my football team, DBE is the only way he's been exposed to Dragon Ball... I almost literally cried when he said that... May God and possibly Kami-sama bless his soul.
That's sad.
It's a terrible way to be exposed to Dragon Ball. Especially with all those Inconsistancies.

Super Sonic
I Live Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:18 pm

Now I remember an interesting time watching with my uncle and cousins years ago. It was the tape where Frieza gives the eventual destructive blast to Namek and there was a filler scene back on Planet Frieza where a guy of Cui's race remarks on maybe Frieza getting killed and is killed for it. Due to how his voice sounded in the dub with a slight urban dialect, my uncle remarked, "Even the black aliens get killed first." Though he wasn't fond of seeing Popo. He was wondering what's with him.

Gouki*
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Gouki* » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:37 am

Because I used to get my Mum to stop the recording of episodes during the Furiza saga every morning for a good long time back in 2001, she 'got into it' in the sense she'd ask if Furiza was going to die soon and mention how she hated him. But before and after nobody above my age (in my family except for two cousins) cared at all.
... Maybe later.