How many Dub fans were converted to the Sub due to Daizex?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Soul
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

How many Dub fans were converted to the Sub due to Daizex?

Post by Soul » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:44 am

I was actually pretty curious, because I'm more than sure there are quite a few huh? :D
Myself included to a degree; it's mainly due to when I heard Kai was originally coming out that reignited what interest in Dragon Ball I had. Then of course like any dub fan I had my nostalgia about watching the show a good 8 or 9 years ago on Toonami. But of course I said, Kai reignited my interest in Dragon Ball, and Z in general. I hadn't watched the dub... in many years.

The big thing is, yeah I like to watch shows in English.. when it's dubbed "well". And with you guys especially always talking about the Japanese performances and such, well after seeing the FUNimation dub recently... I cringed at it.
The biggest thing is the performances of dub and of course the script, I'm fine with a showing taking a few liberties in it's adaption sometimes, especially when the acting is well done. (i.e. Yu Yu Hakusho) but even the Season 1 & 2 redub was very lackluster and stilted. It was sad, because I had such fond memories of it, and I just kinda of stared blankly at screen and sighed then switched over to the Japanese track.

There's not much I can say that hasn't been said, the acting, the soundtrack, and etc are just stupendous.
But to me ultimately, Kai itself caters to me much much more (As said in that thread I made a while back about the DBoxes), but the biggest thing is? You guys did really turn me into a DB fan and made me appreciate the acting and performance much more! (i.e. Kai's dub).
For that? Thanks Daizex :)

Anyone else got a story?

Nazi Cola
Advanced Regular

Re: How many Dub fans were converted to the Sub due to Daize

Post by Nazi Cola » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:00 am

I'm still not completely converted. I still enjoy the dub a lot more for entertainment purposes, but if I'm discussing a character's strength or something like that, I go and watch the sub for the accuracy. Don't hate me. :oops:
CatouttaHell wrote:I guess he's just impossibly powerful and he now gets thrills from letting things go as much to hell as possible before busting out his ultimate power and ending the villain or some shit.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:33 am

Definitely not me, and I've been here for 3 and a half years.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

xzero
Regular

Post by xzero » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:16 pm

Not me. I prefer the dub's voices and the Z dub's BGM to the Japanese versions. Been here for several years. Honestly, some (not all, or even the majority) of sub fans here can be a bit obnoxious about it, failing to recognize or acknowledge anything the dub does well. To that end, Daizex hasn't "converted" me to the sub; it's just provided information about it.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:23 pm

I don't think you're going to get a ton of responses. I'd love to be proven otherwise, but I doubt it. We get tons of e-mails like this (I don't mean that to come across as defensive; just putting it out there), but almost all of them also say they have no interest in getting further involved with message boards and the like -- it's just a viewing experience change, not an Internet-lifestyle change.
xzero wrote:failing to recognize or acknowledge anything the dub does well
If it's not a matter of interest on the radar, why should I/they/we/whomever bother...? It's not like I personally go around saying how fantastic the Spanish dub of the original X-Men cartoon is (if it even is?): it's of no concern.

That being said, the exact opposite is true and has been for years upon years both ways. People are people. Some people don't like hearing what other people say, don't say, or dismiss. Whatever :). All we ask here is that you converse politely, and if you see someone doing otherwise, use the "Report" function. Disagreeing with someone's beliefs doesn't give you enough ammo, though...
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

kaialone
Regular

Post by kaialone » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:31 pm

Not me, I like the english Dub ,but I like the japanese version and the german dub ,too.Its about equal, really.
-凯

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:49 pm

Daizex played a part. I had already long sworn off 4Kids Entertainment dubs and the FUNimation dub isn't really any different from it. In fact, being non-union, it was probably produced at an even cheaper rate. Throughout high school my taste were also moving towards more towards classical music and the like as it were. Having started writing in middle school I had already grown very specific feelings towards writing and changing a persons' writing, too.

Daizex was most instrumental in educating me, from there I made my own path and choices.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Ahiru77
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ahiru77 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:08 pm

Over nine thou.....okay, I'm not doing that.

In my case, not really. Anyway....I'm still impressed.

gotensottile
Beyond Newbie

Post by gotensottile » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:24 pm

I was. Mostly because of Horikawa and Nakao.
And, the Dragon Boxes were the big thing when I became a fan, so I picked those up quickly. I also easily learned the faults of the English version.

Daimo-Rukiri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:48 pm

Well 1994 is long before Daizex, so not me.
Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Dragon Ball Hero's Spirit development blog - An Action-RPG coming soon to monitor near you!
https://dragonball-hs.tumblr.com/

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:50 pm

Me. I lurked for a long time before I became involved in the community, but by that time I realized what I had been missing. I still enjoy the English dub (ONLY the Kai cast at this point), but I only watch Z with the subs. I'm watching Kai in Japanese and English as they both come out.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:18 pm

I'll generally watch anime subbed unless watching with my dyslexic brother, so I can't say that Daizex really converted me. I didn't get around to watching the whole series in Japanese until I got the Orange Bricks, but I'm sure I would have done that with or without Daizex.
xzero wrote:failing to recognize or acknowledge anything the dub does well.
Or maybe they honestly don't agree with you on what was and wasn't done well? People on this board seem very quick to believe that anyone who doesn't have the same opinion as them is just being stubborn.
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

NUDEoctopus
Not-So-Newbie

Post by NUDEoctopus » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:21 pm

I was.
PSN: moyerman105

Shiyonasan
Advanced Regular

Post by Shiyonasan » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:48 pm

I was for the most part.

Ever since I got my first Dragon Ball DVD (A Hero's Legacy) in 2005, I was kind of interested in hearing what the Japanese version sounded like, so I decided to watch it. At first, I thought Masako Nozawa's Goku voice sounded wierd when I watched the Japanese version, like most people familiar with the dub probably were. I love her voice now, but it took a while back then to grow on me.

When I started lurking on this site and the forum in summer of 2007, I was a fan of the dub more, or shall I say, more interested in the dub. I had begun to slowly convert at that time. Two or three months after I joined the forum in November 2008, I became fully converted to the sub. Most of what had been talked about on the podcast and this forum about the Japanese version had intrigued me, so I took a leap of faith. I've hardly ever watched the dub since then. The last time I did (when watching the 2000 dub of History of Trunks), I had to stop halfway through the movie. I just couldn't stand the dub voices anymore.

Two years have passed since my conversion, and I hardly ever look back. The only reason I would ever watch the dub now would be for nostalgic reasons. In short, although I had already been interested in the sub, Daizenshuu EX helped to further my liking for the Japanese version.

xzero
Regular

Post by xzero » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:51 pm

Bussani wrote:
xzero wrote:failing to recognize or acknowledge anything the dub does well.
Or maybe they honestly don't agree with you on what was and wasn't done well? People on this board seem very quick to believe that anyone who doesn't have the same opinion as them is just being stubborn.
Just to be clear, I'm not trying to start a fight. I also was not talking about differences of opinion; I was talking about simply hating on the dub.
VegettoEX wrote:If it's not a matter of interest on the radar, why should I/they/we/whomever bother...? It's not like I personally go around saying how fantastic the Spanish dub of the original X-Men cartoon is (if it even is?): it's of no concern.
I guess it's because to some people here, it clearly is a matter of interest. There's a difference between being disinterested in something and therefore not commenting on it, disliking something and pointing out its flaws in a reasonable and well-articulated manner, and hating on something just for the sake of hating on it. There is nothing wrong with groups 1 and 2; my gripe is with group 3.

That is the nice thing about Daizex, though. While some people are ass-wipes in group 3, most of the members here fall into the first two groups, and while that may not convince anyone to like the sub over dub or vice versa, it at least encourages reasonably intelligent conversation and discourse, which is something that many other forums cannot say for themselves.

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:04 pm

Not even years with Mike's awesomeness could make me reject the voices I love. Though, it also helps that Kai came along. Been here for a few years now (irregularly across the last ten years, regularly the last two and a half/three years). It is heavily Japanese oriented, and it's not like I didn't give the Japanese version a shot (it's why I'm buying the Dragon Boxes).

While I do enjoy the Japanese version now, and it was starting to win me over...Kai's came along, and the original didn't have a chance. Improvements to voices I loved, and new voices I love even more to the previous versions (with some exceptions, I still miss Brice Armstrong's Ginyu, for instance, though I do like R. Bruce Elliot's version), along with more accurate scripts, better acting, and no music alterations helped.

So, Original Japanese Z holds a place in my heart...that place is just #2 to Funi's Kai dub. Which is why I appreciated the cast review on the first set. Though, sadly, seems no other sets will get that treatment (I wanted to see Mike's view on a few things, including some of the Goku vs Freeza fight *like during the SSJ portion*, the voice changes for several of the Ginyu Force, and a few of the more accurate scenes, compared to the original dub. Though, it's possible he did give those views, and my brain's just shut down for Winter Break).

Still, I've got Kai Set 3 to watch in English, and Dragon Box Z 4 to watch in Japanese, so I should get to that.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

Greenman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Greenman » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:15 pm

Daizenshuu EX is pretty much the entire reason why I'm a fan of the original version.

I was solely a fan of the dub from the Ocean days. My only experience with the original version was a few minutes of listening to the Japanese track on the DVDs and a fansub of movie 11. That was around 2002, so I'm not terribly surprised my 12-year-old self didn't like it at all. I don't remember where I found it, but someone linked to the Daizex review podcast of the first season set. I browsed the main site for a bit, decided VegettoEX was a wapanese douche-bag and went on my way.

For some reason I came back and browsed the site and forums more thoroughly. After learning a little about the Japanese version and some of the changes FUNimation had made, I gave the season one DVD a watch in Japanese. I was hooked after a few episodes.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:16 pm

I suppose it partly did. But it was a more of a cumulative effect. Gee, I guess it was nearly 11 years ago now that I got involved with the, I guess you can call them, major contenders of the DB web community of the time. That was soon after season 3 had aired, and while I had been quite excited to see the series continue, I had been quite annoyed by the terrible cast and music. It was really just a matter of becoming better informed, and sites like Planet Namek, Daizenshuu EX, and Ginga GIRI GIRI helped push me in that direction, although I think it was probably DBZ Uncensored that made the final step in pushing me over the edge enough to start seeking out subtitled tapes and fansubs. It's probably also worth mentioning that I got a DVD player for Christmas at the end of that year, solely so I could watch Dragon Ball in Japanese and could stop watching the dub (which I immediately did after season 4). I never went back from there, although it took me until a year ago to actually join the fan community here. I was always content to watch from afar. :wink:
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

oXdanXo
Regular

Post by oXdanXo » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:21 pm

I've seen a bit of it subbed, bieng honest, I don't think I'd watch Dragon Ball if it was only available subbed, as I'm fine with the Dub, at the end of the day that's the way I enjoy it, it's a cartoon so I don't need it to be dead on with a perfect translation.
I can see why others prefer it subbed though.
Next to get; Leged of Saiyan figures and Freeza's force

If anyone sees
Any of the Legend of Saiyan line going cheapish
Or any other Banpresto DBZ figure :)

If anyone has a cooler steelbook dvd that wants to sell it (prefer new but used is fine) when/if the dragon box movies comes out contact me :)

Thunderstorm

Post by Thunderstorm » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:37 pm

I would say it was one facet in switching over to the Japanese Dub for all incarnations bar Kai, which I would happily watch in English. When I was initially browsing the website, I noticed many people disliked the dub. When I got my Season Sets (the first couple before I gave up), I decided to watch it in Japanese and I completely loved it. I thought during the beginning of one episode to switch it over to English with subtitles for the Japanese version just to see me proven wrong about how bad it was. It was horrifying and I never looked back.