What voices do you dislike that others like?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 8749
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:23 am

What voices do you dislike that others like?

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:49 am

After the recent "relevation" on the "Voices you are looking forward to for the FUNi dub of Kai" thread, I thought it would be nice to make a thread about this. What voices do you dislike that don't typically get a lot of hate? So, not the obvious ones like Linda Young's Freeza or Sean Schemmel's Kaio.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

User avatar
PuppetDoctor
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 486
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:01 pm

Re: What voices do you dislike that others like?

Post by PuppetDoctor » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:07 am

I cannot stand Kid Goku's voice in the Funimation's dub of Dragon Ball at all, and I also do not like Kid Kuririn in the Funimation dub of Dragon Ball either. I also do not like Kid Gohan's voice at all in the Funimation dub either but I don't mind his voice when he is a teen because it seemed to fit him better.

User avatar
Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 8749
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:23 am

Re: What voices do you dislike that others like?

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:08 am

PuppetDoctor wrote:I also do not like Kid Gohan's voice at all in the Funimation dub either
Actually, Stephanie Nadolny's Gohan is a voice that gets a lot of hate.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

User avatar
Zarathustra
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 128
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:37 pm
Location: Over The Hills

Re: What voices do you dislike that others like?

Post by Zarathustra » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:18 am

I can't stand Masako Nozawa.

User avatar
El Diabeetus
I Live Here
Posts: 2137
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:07 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: What voices do you dislike that others like?

Post by El Diabeetus » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:02 pm

Kirby Morrow as Goku, as it's been said; he's too suave for the role. He's an amazing Voice Actor; but, Goku's not for him.

I'll find a voice in the FUNimation version I don't like that isn't an obvious one. Just can't think of it right now.

I also think Chris Sabat (Kai) is a better Piccolo than Toshio Furukawa (in both), Furukawa isn't bad. He just sounds more "generic", for lack of a better word?

Also, I think the FUNimation cast at this point is on par with the Japanese cast back in their glory days. It's been about 12 years; they're not newbies anymore. The new additions to the cast fit right in with the cast that's been here from day 1. (i.e. Chris Ayres, Colleen Clickenbeard, etc.)

User avatar
AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 1713
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:24 pm
Location: Florida, USA

Re: What voices do you dislike that others like?

Post by AgitoZ » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:43 pm

Chris Sabat's interpretation of Vegeta. He is too over the top with the role. He comes of as a maniac, rather than a prince.
SSJ4 Furanki wrote:I also think Chris Sabat (Kai) is a better Piccolo than Toshio Furukawa (in both), Furukawa isn't bad. He just sounds more "generic", for lack of a better word?
And how is Sabat's portrayal not "generic"? It's the same deep, calm voice he's used for several other characters. At least Furukawa tries to differentiate.
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

User avatar
Makaioshin
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1316
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:51 pm

Re: What voices do you dislike that others like?

Post by Makaioshin » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:04 pm

Namu's Funimation voice doesn't get enough hate.

User avatar
El Diabeetus
I Live Here
Posts: 2137
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:07 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: What voices do you dislike that others like?

Post by El Diabeetus » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:15 pm

AgitoZ wrote:Chris Sabat's interpretation of Vegeta. He is too over the top with the role. He comes of as a maniac, rather than a prince.
SSJ4 Furanki wrote:I also think Chris Sabat (Kai) is a better Piccolo than Toshio Furukawa (in both), Furukawa isn't bad. He just sounds more "generic", for lack of a better word?
And how is Sabat's portrayal not "generic"? It's the same deep, calm voice he's used for several other characters. At least Furukawa tries to differentiate.
I'm not sure who to explain it; but, he just comes of as generic Japanese villain voice; don't get me wrong, he's an awesome actor. I just think both Sabat and McNeil brought more to Piccolo. In this case why does it matter if he's used his Piccolo voice on other characters in different anime? He conveys the correct emotion as Piccolo, so I don't see what his other roles have to do with anything. Unless you're comparing it to Yamcha/Vegeta/Other DB characters.

Yeah, Sabat's sorta generic; but, not many other voice actors at FUNimation have that natural of a deepness to their voice. But half of it for me is people thinking that no one from the English cast can compare to the Japanese cast. Bullshit, in my personal opinion (not speaking for anyone else); I think Freeza and Goku are perfect examples. Sean Schemmel and Chris Ayres are just as good as Masako Nowaza and Ryusei Nakao. And you're talking to a guy who is literally very unpicky. I love both the Japanese and English versions of the shows. I like the Kikuchi score, the Falcouner score, the Yamamoto score, etc.

I see nothing wrong with his Vegeta. It's not my favorite voice. But, wait; he's not a maniac? You're talking about a guy who kills people just for the hell of it. And when your entire race has been slaughtered, there's nothing to really be prince-like about.

I'm not saying you're wrong. I just think that maniac tone fits Vegeta. He's not normal, that's for sure.

Oh, as for a FUNimation voice I've never liked; always Android 19, he's always sounded annoying.

CatouttaHell
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1164
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:26 pm
Location: Mount Paozu
Contact:

Re: What voices do you dislike that others like?

Post by CatouttaHell » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:42 pm

Sean Schemmel's Goku. I utterly hated Goku until I heard the Japanese version to be honest.
Rocketman wrote:Where you born unable to understand jokes or is this the result of years of hard training?

User avatar
AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 1713
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:24 pm
Location: Florida, USA

Re: What voices do you dislike that others like?

Post by AgitoZ » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:27 pm

SSJ4 Furanki wrote:I'm not sure who to explain it; but, he just comes of as generic Japanese villain voice; don't get me wrong, he's an awesome actor. I just think both Sabat and McNeil brought more to Piccolo. In this case why does it matter if he's used his Piccolo voice on other characters in different anime? He conveys the correct emotion as Piccolo, so I don't see what his other roles have to do with anything. Unless you're comparing it to Yamcha/Vegeta/Other DB characters.
It matters because you used the same argument to say that Furakawa is generic because he sounds like other characters. If Sabat's used the same voice on other characters or sounds like them then by your reasoning his potryal is also generic.
SSJ4 Furanki wrote: Yeah, Sabat's sorta generic; but, not many other voice actors at FUNimation have that natural of a deepness to their voice. But half of it for me is people thinking that no one from the English cast can compare to the Japanese cast. Bullshit, in my personal opinion (not speaking for anyone else); I think Freeza and Goku are perfect examples. Sean Schemmel and Chris Ayres are just as good as Masako Nowaza and Ryusei Nakao. And you're talking to a guy who is literally very unpicky. I love both the Japanese and English versions of the shows. I like the Kikuchi score, the Falcouner score, the Yamamoto score, etc.
I just have too say I never even said that Piccolo's voice was bad.
SSJ4 Furanki wrote: I see nothing wrong with his Vegeta. It's not my favorite voice. But, wait; he's not a maniac? You're talking about a guy who kills people just for the hell of it. And when your entire race has been slaughtered, there's nothing to really be prince-like about.

I'm not saying you're wrong. I just think that maniac tone fits Vegeta. He's not normal, that's for sure.
You see there is no subtlety to Sabat's interpretation. He's supposed to sound like Bond villain not an action movie villain. He's supposed to be suave to contrast with his sadistic nature. He still believes himself as the prince of the Saiyans.
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

User avatar
El Diabeetus
I Live Here
Posts: 2137
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:07 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: What voices do you dislike that others like?

Post by El Diabeetus » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:49 pm

AgitoZ wrote:*Wall of text with posts from both of us here.*
Good points all around. I assumed you thought based on the tone I got from it that it was bad; but, you're totally right you never said it was. I can admit moments of ignorance.

I guess my reasoning for Piccolo is; thanks to being introduced through the Dub, I expect Piccolo to have a really deep voice from both the FUNimation and Ocean versions. The Japanese is a bit too high in comparison. It just rubbed me the wrong way.

Vegeta, I can't argue about. But, in English I don't think Vegeta's ever gonna get the Bond suaveness that's needed. Ah, well. Can't win 'em all.

User avatar
jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6340
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:15 pm
Location: Georgia (I wish I was in New York)

Re: What voices do you dislike that others like?

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:31 pm

Image

I think you all know which voice I'm talking about.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World
"They say assholes grow on trees/But I'm just here to trim the leaves"
"If a girl is over 35 and not married, then she must be nuttier than squirrel shit." - Reverend Pastor Father Uncle Ruckus (no relation)

User avatar
dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 7771
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:07 pm
Contact:

Re: What voices do you dislike that others like?

Post by dbgtFO » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:57 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:I think you all know which voice I'm talking about.
OBVIOUSLY Sean Schemmel :lol:

User avatar
El Diabeetus
I Live Here
Posts: 2137
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:07 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: What voices do you dislike that others like?

Post by El Diabeetus » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:27 pm

dbgtFO wrote:
jjgp1112 wrote:I think you all know which voice I'm talking about.
OBVIOUSLY Sean Schemmel :lol:
No, get it right; obviously it's Mario Castañeda.

But, I'm disappointed that Dameon Clarke won't be coming back. Travis Willingham isn't bad. He just suffers from impression that's obvious that they're trying to hard to copy the old voice.

User avatar
dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 7771
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:07 pm
Contact:

Re: What voices do you dislike that others like?

Post by dbgtFO » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:52 pm

SSJ4 Furanki wrote:
dbgtFO wrote:
jjgp1112 wrote:I think you all know which voice I'm talking about.
OBVIOUSLY Sean Schemmel :lol:
No, get it right; obviously it's Mario Castañeda.
Damn you're right, that's the only one jjgp1112 could have been talking about! :P

User avatar
jordanator
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 452
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 2:57 pm
Location: Kiddieland

Re: What voices do you dislike that others like?

Post by jordanator » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:57 pm

I enjoy most of the voices in the Funi dub of Dragon Ball as a franchise. But obviously, some voices fit better than others. One voice that I cannot stand is Anroid 19's (as already mentioned). I find it reaaally unfitting. There are some I find unusual (for the character being played), but I think are fantastic. For example, Linda Young's Freeza.
PS3 PSN: Jordanator
XBOX 360 GAMERTAG: J0RDANAT0R
SKYPE: J0RDANAT0R -- ADD ME!
nathantheguitarist wrote: I will punch children.

User avatar
Mountain
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 355
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:24 am
Location: New York
Contact:

Re: What voices do you dislike that others like?

Post by Mountain » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:33 pm

I know I'm in the minority on this one, but I'm not a fan of Strait's Kuririn. It isn't that I dislike the voice, per se, but it can be slightly annoying, to say the least. Tanaka never bothered me in this way.

www.KristaMichaels.com

User avatar
Rocketman
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 10798
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:17 pm

Re: What voices do you dislike that others like?

Post by Rocketman » Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:06 pm

Nozawa, Nozawa, Nozawa. The only reason I will never move to the Japanese version is her horrid voice squatting over the two characters with the most screentime.

User avatar
Rory
I Live Here
Posts: 2722
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:15 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Re: What voices do you dislike that others like?

Post by Rory » Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:45 pm

Zarathustra wrote:I can't stand Masako Nozawa.
What a tweest!

User avatar
Savage68
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1929
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:16 pm
Location: Baltimore, MD
Contact:

Re: What voices do you dislike that others like?

Post by Savage68 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:32 pm

Clinkenbeard's Gohan. Not that I hold Nadolny's iteration in higher regards, but current Gohan's dub voice has the most generic "woman as a boy" flavor to it that I've ever experienced. Quite seriously.

... And there's the whole Luffy-channeling (who's voice I was never fond of to begin with) that only adds to my inability to take it seriously.

Post Reply