Unintentionally funny moments

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Unintentionally funny moments

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:37 pm

What moments in Dragon Ball did you unintentionally find funny?

For me, it's Brian Drummond's Vegeta in most of his angry moments. His portrayal of Vegeta's maniacal rage just comes off as comical rather than frightening. Such famous moments as "Do you understaaaaaaaand?!" and "YOU WON'T ESCAPE--MY WRATH!!!" cracked me up.

Also, #16's death in the manga. Seeing #16's juices and eyes pop out of his head just spoiled the tone of what was meant to be an emotional moment in the story. I think the anime handled it better.
Last edited by Piccolo Daimao on Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:58 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Re: Unintentional funny moments

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:12 pm

Vegeta abusing children. :lol:

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:26 pm

Freeza killing Cargo and Dende.

Yeah, I went there. :roll:

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:49 pm

Vegeta slaughtering the Namekian village
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:57 pm

Freeza throwing Goku on the ground then rolling him over proceding to kick him repeatedly while his down.

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:26 am

"What's a Goku"?

Love it.

Fox666
I Live Here

Post by Fox666 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:29 am

N.16 death is not so unintentionally funny, Toriyama always make people die with eyes popping and such (i.e. Nappa, Dodoria, old man N.20 kills, etc) with some morbid humor behind.

Nippolyte
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Nippolyte » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:47 am

Frieza's facial expression when Goku "kills" him on Namek.

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:22 am

Last edited by SHINOBI-03 on Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:31 am

Last edited by AnimeMaakuo on Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:49 pm, edited 4 times in total.
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:02 am

AnimeMaakuo wrote:When Master Roshi was scanning women in the Super #13 movie I believe, as if he had a built in "boobie & pantie" scouter built into his head lmao.
What a perverted old man.. *slaps forehead*
I'm pretty sure that's from DBZ Movie 9.

Ussj Future Trunks
Regular

Post by Ussj Future Trunks » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:46 pm

Buu, Vegeta and Cell's cries of pain as they get pummeled.
"AH OH OOHH RAAGHHH HAAGHHH!"
Simian upstart...none surpass me. No one even comes close! BURN THIS INTO YOUR MIND! I am emperor of the universe. The likes of you are only fit to grovel at my feet. Or better still...to be crushed...LIKE AN INSECT AT THE WHIM OF YOUR MASTER!

- Freeza, DBZ Kai.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:08 pm

AnimeMaakuo wrote:When Master Roshi was scanning women in DBZ movie #9 I believe, as if he had a built in "boobie & pantie" scouter built into his head lmao.
What a perverted old man.. *slaps forehead*

Yeah, I changed it. It's been a while lol.
But... that was a comedic scene. It was intended to be funny... :?
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:12 pm

Any time an insert song starts playing in the original Dragon Ball anime. They're so ridiculous, I lose my shit.

Alternately, any time a character does the "Peeasu, peeasu!" thing (which is often up until Piccolo Daimao appears). My favorite is Goku doing it after he wantonly murders two Red Ribbon pilots.

the_abberration
Regular

Post by the_abberration » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:14 pm

When Fat Buu tricks Babidi into leaning in, so he can kill him. I think it was meant for shock, but I took it for comedy value (I laughed so hard).

There's also a dub scene, where Vegeta tells Goku that he will help him face of with Ginyu and Jheese. However he flies off, and the following dialogue made me chuckle.

Vegeta: See Ya!
Goku: Augh! Vegeta! You dirty dog. (IIRC the recap changed the the line to Aww man! for some reason)
1 Corinthians 13: When I was a child, I spoke and thought and reasoned as a child. But when I grew up, I put away childish things. Except the anime. Never the anime.

"Look. I'm not allowed to hold you, but I'm sworn to protect you"-Sergeant Hatred

The Lineup: Danger Mouse

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:17 pm

the_abberration wrote:(IIRC the recap changed the the line to Aww man! for some reason)
Actually, it was "AOooooh-NOOOoooooooooo!!" :lol:
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:21 pm

Cipher wrote:Alternately, any time a character does the "Peeasu, peeasu!" thing (which is often up until Piccolo Daimao appears). My favorite is Goku doing it after he wantonly murders two Red Ribbon pilots.
What's that?

Fox666
I Live Here

Post by Fox666 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:24 pm

I laughed when Vegeta tricked Goku to fight Majin Boo and hit him from behind. To think about it, I was just a kid when I watched Raditz battle and laughed after seeing Goku freeing Raditz tail.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:26 pm

dbgtFO wrote:
Cipher wrote:Alternately, any time a character does the "Peeasu, peeasu!" thing (which is often up until Piccolo Daimao appears). My favorite is Goku doing it after he wantonly murders two Red Ribbon pilots.
What's that?
If you've watched Dragon Ball at all recently, you'd know. It's a very Japanese thing that shows up all over the series. When a character defeats an opponent, they give the peace sign and shout "Peace, peace!" in their thick Japanese accents. It's hilarious.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:32 pm

Cipher wrote:If you've watched Dragon Ball at all recently, you'd know. It's a very Japanese thing that shows up all over the series. When a character defeats an opponent, they give the peace sign and shout "Peace, peace!" in their thick Japanese accents. It's hilarious.
So that's what it is! And yeah, it's been a long time, since I've seen the original DB anime.