Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:33 pm

Last edited by AnimeMaakuo on Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

Raithos
Advanced Regular

Re: The first time you saw Son Goku transform; what did you

Post by Raithos » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:36 pm

I got goosebumps and cheered and yelled at the TV for him to f***ing kill Freeza. Lol
Otaku at heart.
Come visit me and my collection here!

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:46 pm

It was very weird... I saw it on anime first and I thought "what the f*** happened to him? Is that... golden hair? O_o".

And I honestly didn't think it looked cool at the time... It was very weird and somewhat distracting of the fact that Krillin had just died...

Anyway, I continued to watch, excited to see what was going to happen. And I was relieved to see that Goku could turn back to normal later on.

(And I think the look of the SSJ really became cooler later on, when Toriyama and the anime staff designed it a little better)

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:47 pm

I got chills and found it awesome, even though I already knew about Super Saiyan from the internet and video games.
Last edited by Piccolo Daimao on Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

19Nyoi-bō95

Post by 19Nyoi-bō95 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:49 pm

Got chills and Yelled at the TV
LOVER OF DUBS AND SUBS!!!!

Drabaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Drabaz » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:57 pm

I had already known that he would eventually have "golden hair". So when he finally transformed, I just thought, "Finally...:roll:"
My Dragon Ball AMV's:
Pain into Power - Gohan Tribute - Best Character Profile at AnimeNext
The Dragon Ball Life - Original DB only AMV - Coordinators Choice at Anime Conji
When I See You Again [NEW!!!] - Goku & Krillin AMV - Best Drama at Otakon

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:13 pm

Like a lot of other folks, the Internet (and also "Rock the Dragon") spoiled the fact that it would eventually happen.

The first time I would have seen it was probably 1997ish from "Son Gohan's" site (the one with the crap ton of MPEG-1 clips -- I probably even have that very clip burned on a CD somewhere!). I honestly have no real recollection of what my response was, since it was so long ago :(. The "chills" sensation is probably an accurate one!

EDIT: Holy crap, I do have it...! The date on my CD-R (which is a 650 MB one, mind you!) is 12/31/1997... so yeah. It's definitely from Son Gohan's, and it's a capture from an NGN sub of the episode. This is also "amazing quality" for us back in 1997, by the way.

http://www.daizex.com/misc_stuff/first_goku_ssj.mpg

So there you have it -- the file that provided my first experience with the scene! I don't remember when I actually got my first fansub tapes in, but it couldn't have been all that long after this (they were 94-105, I believe... two tapes with six episodes each).
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:15 pm

Drabaz wrote:I had already known that he would eventually have "golden hair". So when he finally transformed, I just thought, "Finally...:roll:"
When I watched it for the first time, I was pretty much waiting throughout the whole Goku vs. Freeza for Goku to finally transform too. I was still like "Woah", though. Hey, that rhymes!
Last edited by Piccolo Daimao on Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Kakarotto
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kakarotto » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:17 pm

I had a similar reaction, like when piccolo fused with Nail. Wow he's real, my gosh. This is amazing, he is incredible. YES YES YES YES! He can win, he feels great, he can do this!ugh. Yes I'm home, I'm alive, this is all a miracle, I'm wide awake! :lol:
Bald that way

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:28 pm

VegettoEX wrote:Like a lot of other folks, the Internet (and also "Rock the Dragon") spoiled the fact that it would eventually happen.

The first time I would have seen it was probably 1997ish from "Son Gohan's" site (the one with the crap ton of MPEG-1 clips -- I probably even have that very clip burned on a CD somewhere!). I honestly have no real recollection of what my response was, since it was so long ago :(. The "chills" sensation is probably an accurate one!

EDIT: Holy crap, I do have it...! The date on my CD-R (which is a 650 MB one, mind you!) is 12/31/1997... so yeah. It's definitely from Son Gohan's, and it's a capture from an NGN sub of the episode. This is also "amazing quality" for us back in 1997, by the way.

So there you have it -- the file that provided my first experience with the scene! I don't remember when I actually got my first fansub tapes in, but it couldn't have been all that long after this (they were 94-105, I believe... two tapes with six episodes each).
In 1998, I think I saw that same clip encoded as an rm file on another site. It was so choppy I didn't even know what was going on.

I think I was like "Why is Goku turning Super Saiyan to 50's monster music"? :x

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:22 pm

I remember thinking how creepy those shots where you only see the whites of his eyes with nothing inside them were. I never really questioned stuff like Goku being able to transform waaaay back in the earliest days so I don't think I would've looked up spoilers back before it happened on Toonami. I did spoiler the Buu arc for myself though.

And I so remember when all videoclips online looked like that. :3
How nostalgic.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Arashi

Post by Arashi » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:34 pm

By the time I watched, I knew what Super Saiyan was and just had never had the chance to see what lead to it. Even so, I was so excited and kind of stared with my mouth slightly agape.

I think I was the most, "OMG!" by the time I saw SS3 because from pre-researching DBZ, it was the most 'interesting' to me because of the beyond drastic changes in his looks. I still like watching the first time SS3 shows up again.

I haven't seen SS4 actually occur (obvs I've seen tons of images of it) but I feel like I'll be underwhelmed. I like the golden hair...
デスティニー
スーパーサイヤ人のアイドル
http://minorstorm.net
http://twitter.com/arashi

Sshadow5001
Advanced Regular

Post by Sshadow5001 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:59 pm

19Nyoi-bō95 wrote:Got chills and Yelled at the TV
Pretty much this. I knew it was coming what with the adverts and Rock the Dragon but it was still so awesome.
Please check out my Youtube channel GLEclipseGaming
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8otmN ... FvDYiaKt9w

Currently Playing
Gundam Breaker 3

TheLegendary117
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheLegendary117 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:54 pm

Man, when I saw Goku transform for the first time, I got goosebumps, chills, my adrenalin was pumping, and as many of you did, STARTED YELLING KILL FRIEZA!!!!!!! :twisted: God, that was incredible
Gamertag: TheLegendary117
Facebook.com/TheLegendary117
Facebook.com/The70MGame

Part Spartan, Part Saiyan

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:06 pm

VegettoEX wrote:Like a lot of other folks, the Internet (and also "Rock the Dragon") spoiled the fact that it would eventually happen.

I'm pretty sure this is how I first saw it, too. Even though I had little idea of what was going on, I was really impressed with the music.

I think this was back when the .GIF of Super 13 punching Goku in the junk was first super popular.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:25 pm

The first time I saw it I had a much more different reaction than most. I wasn't cheering Goku or being happy he was able to surpass Freeza. I was in shock and also sad. I had grown up with the character, he was always the kind-hearted fool I loved, and this scene was frightening. The Goku I knew and loved was turning into a violent, savage, legendary being. He didn't just want to spar anymore or protect his friends, he was bloodthirsty. It really was memorable scene.
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

.:PoetikaL:.
Regular

Post by .:PoetikaL:. » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:00 pm

I knew about Super Saiyan because of "Rock The Dragon", for me it was a matter of when they would show it. When I watched "the" episode on Toonami in my young days, I was sweating and getting goosebumps, and when Goku just exploded with the yellow aura... I lost it! On the outside I was like "YAY!!!" but in the inside I was like "FUCK YEAH! KICK FREEZA'S ASS!!"
My Deviantart: http://poetikal.deviantart.com
My Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheycallmeBrod

"I beat Toguro, and after that I assumed everything else would just be a big ol' piece of cake. And then some rogue Spirit Detective has to go and open up the freakin' gates of Hell!" -Yusuke Urameshi

I think Tom Dubois of "The Boondocks" said it best for me when FUNimation announced the release of the domestic Dragonbox, after buying all of the Season Sets: "MOTHERFUCK!!! SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT, PRICKS, SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIIIIIIIT!"

Ahiru77
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ahiru77 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:37 pm

At first I was amazed.....I was mesmerized. *epic record playing*

Then he turned and yelled at a frightened Gohan...*record cuts off*...killed it. :x

ShiningMoon
Beyond Newbie

Post by ShiningMoon » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:46 pm

Well, the first time I watched DBZ they were rerunning the Cell arc (in particular, when Goku and Gohan were training in the ROSAT)...so when I finally got to see the Freeza arc it was more of an, "Oh, so he couldn't always do that?" and/or "Oh, so that's how that happened?" deal.
But, it was still a powerful moment, to be sure. If anything, because I had come in when such an event was treated with relative nonchalance, seeing his first transformation as a result of such anger, compared to the relative "Goku-ness" he could maintain especially later in the Cell arc, made it more powerful.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:14 am

I thought "Oh shit, he's snapped. Just like back when he used to turn into a giant monkey, he's gonna lose his goodness and become evil."

Especially given that the dialogue during that entire Freeza fight was all heavily implying that SSJ Gokû was going to turn into a bloodthirsty monster like the other Saiyans were.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.