Tropes that Dragon Ball folllowed?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

Tropes that Dragon Ball folllowed?

Post by NeoKING » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:47 pm

Everyone knows that Dragon Ball is commonly attributed to many of the tropes in the Shonen genre seen today. My question is, what are some tropes that Dragon Ball followed during its original run? The only ones that comes to mind are:

- Futuristic cities/Sci-fi
- Aliens/More sci-fi
- Other planets/Sci-fi world
- Hardcore Family Love(Raditz)
- God Mode

It seems that back in the day (the 70's-80's), the future was a really common aspect in anime and manga, 'specially in 80's Japan where movies like the Terminator inspired a hell of a lot of manga artists. That's why there was stuff like Fist of the North Star and what not. Also, the Raditz/Goku battle really reminded me of the time in Fist of the North Star where Kenshiro defeats Jagi, but learns that he still has two more brothers to take down. But not only in FotNS; I've heard that the "battling family members" thing has been popular since the 70's. As for the last one - God Mode - I think Toriyama used the super-over powered characters stuff (specifically Goku, who's become godlike by the end of the manga) from the original Chinese "Journey to the West," where the actual Sun Wukong was a hax.

So yeah, what are some tropes DB ran off?

Magica
Regular

Re: Tropes that Dragon Ball folllowed?

Post by Magica » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:06 pm

Ahiru77
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ahiru77 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:09 pm

Curbstomping...DBZ must have been the "baddest" if not the first.

Khalid Shahin
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Khalid Shahin » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:58 pm

I'm not sure how this thread will turnout. If it ends up being a lot of posts listing all the tropes, then it'll just be a copy/paste of that TVTropes page in the post earlier. So I think we should focus on the most important or most obvious tropes. Like "Calling Your Attacks", the first thing thing you see when you mention Dragon Ball to anyone in real life they will imitate a Kamehameha. Obviously this trope was used for moments of awesome or general coolness of the situation especially throughout the 80's and this trope continues to this day. I don't see it being effective in universe to shout out what you are about to do to your opponent, whatever it's there, but the bigger question is what's Toriyama's influence/culture to have these attack names being called out in the middle of battle.

Makaioshin
Advanced Regular

Post by Makaioshin » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:22 pm

Some tropes found in martial arts fiction:
Hero's best friend is killed so the hero must avenge him. (Used many times)
Powerful forbidden technique.(Mafuba)
Evil fighter who attempts to assassinate every other master of martial arts. (Piccolo)
I'm sure there are much more but I can't think of them.

kaialone
Regular

Post by kaialone » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:39 pm

-Once Bad guy sacrifices his life to save a good guy and thus finally truly ascends into the goodguy-hood
-凯