Dragon Ball Reboot

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

piccolo-san785
Beyond Newbie

Dragon Ball Reboot

Post by piccolo-san785 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:11 pm

Is this actually real? Has anyone heard anything regarding this?

http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2011/02/1 ... not-again/

TheLegendary117
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball Reboot

Post by TheLegendary117 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:16 pm

yep, i first read about it last summer, something about the movie revolving around Cell this time around but nothing was confirmed. Its gonna happen again :(
Gamertag: TheLegendary117
Facebook.com/TheLegendary117
Facebook.com/The70MGame

Part Spartan, Part Saiyan

kingvegito
Not-So-Newbie

Post by kingvegito » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:31 pm

Y'know, IMDB isn't the most reliable source....

piccolo-san785
Beyond Newbie

Post by piccolo-san785 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:33 pm

kingvegito wrote:Y'know, IMDB isn't the most reliable source....
As you can see from the link, I didn't get this from IMDB.

TheLegendary117
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheLegendary117 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:35 pm

I almost never use IMDB, its just info I stumble across from time to time. The first time I read about the possibility of another Live Action DBZ movie was on G4TV.com when I was reading about Raging Blast 2
Gamertag: TheLegendary117
Facebook.com/TheLegendary117
Facebook.com/The70MGame

Part Spartan, Part Saiyan

Makaioshin
Advanced Regular

Post by Makaioshin » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:36 pm

piccolo-san785 wrote:
But they did.

kingvegito
Not-So-Newbie

Post by kingvegito » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:36 pm

piccolo-san785 wrote:
Yeah, but the source you linked to did...

SSJSteve
Advanced Regular

Post by SSJSteve » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:37 pm

Ignore everything you here about the "Untitled Dragon Ball Reboot". All of this speculation stems from IMDb, which isn't the most reliable source for information.

Apparently Paramount Pictures are producing it...

Don't trust IMDb, wait for official confirmation.
piccolo-san785 wrote:As you can see from the link, I didn't get this from IMDB.
Those sites are getting their information from IMDb.

piccolo-san785
Beyond Newbie

Post by piccolo-san785 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:47 pm

I stand corrected

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:01 pm

Simply by having THAT guy as Goku, I've already most most of what little hope I had left. Saiyans look caucasian, I didn't know it was THAT hard to mess up something so simple.

Makaioshin
Advanced Regular

Post by Makaioshin » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:32 pm

LeprikanGT wrote:Simply by having THAT guy as Goku, I've already most most of what little hope I had left. Saiyans look caucasian, I didn't know it was THAT hard to mess up something so simple.
I disagree. Not that the race of the actor would affect anything, really.
And I doubt the IMBD listing is correct.

Raithos
Advanced Regular

Post by Raithos » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:14 pm

But this guy looks better than having Justin Chatwin...
Otaku at heart.
Come visit me and my collection here!

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:50 pm

Jon Foo would fit as Goku rather nicely. I don't know what from what about his acting skills, but he's got it insofar as looks. His face has that bright-eyed, cheerful look about him (in that picture on the site, at least). Plus, race-wise he looks more-or-less neutral to fit with Goku's alien origins, while having just enough of a touch of "Asian" about him to make the race-whiners (relatively) happy.

I haven't thought much about a reboot or sequel for DBE since it came and went, but were you to press me for an opinion, Mr. Foo would certainly be my pick for Goku.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader

We Gotta Power >>>>> Cha-La Head Cha-La. Fight me.
If Super wanted to be "canon," then it should have been good.
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:22 pm

I wonder if that is real how they're going to do it. It would (a) be great and justify the first, very highly unlikely, or (b) be worst than the first, very likely. They're probably just sitting around thinking how they could do this any way other than just being accurate to the manga. "How about if Cell is a blue creature created by Piccolo that absorbs the Dragon Balls to get stronger and must be defeated by Android 19 and Goku's daughter, Gohana.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:54 pm

Being "accurate to the manga" wasn't really DBE's biggest problem. The way that its own story and continuity was first broadly described was pretty okay. But it was just... badly made. Badly written, badly characterized, badly paced...

These types of movies, based on long-running series, can do well enough by creating their own "film continuity" with the original events as a source. Just look at the ever-growing "Marvel Movieverse," for example. Those don't follow the characters' original comic books to the letter, and instead update and restructure the stories somewhat to work better in movie form. But that's different from being just plain a bad movie.

In Marvel's case, it's working because they put respect and care into it. With DBE, it didn't, because they didn't. A Dragon Ball movie can be made well and turn out swell... if the right people with the right attitudes give it the right treatment. That' goes for anything, really.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader

We Gotta Power >>>>> Cha-La Head Cha-La. Fight me.
If Super wanted to be "canon," then it should have been good.
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Snail
I'm pretty cozy, here...

Post by Snail » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:10 pm

Annoyingly so to the folks here at Daizex's presumable displeasure, I've been voicing my wishes for Jon Foo to take up the mantle of Son Goku for the past several years (and of recent..) I've had my eye on this talent since Hong Kong actioner film, House Of Fury. Consequently, he immediately struck me as the perfect live action Goku in terms of presenting for an engaging physical demonstration as well as having the look. Years later, we find Jon Foo as Jin Kazama, and Ryu; looks like others had their eye on him too. Whether this news is legitimate or not, I hope that the stuntman/actor continues to excel in his career.
LeprikanGT wrote:Simply by having THAT guy as Goku, I've already most most of what little hope I had left. Saiyans look caucasian, I didn't know it was THAT hard to mess up something so simple.
^That is crazy talk sir.

Saiyans look caucasian? Erm.. seeing as how the character of Goku was based off of Sun Wukong from the beginning. I think that there is a sufficient amount of evidence to support the claim that Goku was originally designed with the intent of having him being of asian descent. Also, an individual of Jon Foo's ethnicity fits perfectly well in the appeasement of fans who wish for a caucasian actor, or for those who plead for an asian actor for Son. Jon Foo is of Chinese and Irish descent, problem solved.

If this is happening, then I hope that the film receives an incredible re-imagining, instead of the lackluster result that was Dragonball: Evolution.

Daimo-Rukiri
I'm pretty cozy, here...

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:21 pm

Justin Foo would make an awesome Son Goku appearance wise, he just needs the right hairdo.
Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Dragon Ball Hero's Spirit development blog - An Action-RPG coming soon to monitor near you!
https://dragonball-hs.tumblr.com/

Taku128
I'm pretty cozy, here...

Post by Taku128 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:35 pm

Wow, what a racist fucking statement. "I don't have any hope for this movie because the protagonist isn't white!" What the fuck is your problem?
­

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:53 pm

Why, yes. I can certainly see the obvious difference in race between Goku, Krillin, and Yamcha. However, you're wrong about which race Goku is, though. He's clearly black like Mutaito.

It was a little harder to tell in the following picture, though.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:57 pm

IMDB isn't all that reliable; just a few months ago there was a guy going in there and posting fake cast listings on the DB Reboot page just so he could troll people. Those fake listings are all gone now, but it's made me skeptical about the current ones. I'd need confirmation from a more official source (a magazine, newspaper, Paramount's site) to believe the current listings are real.

I still don't believe the 2012 release date. Nobody can put a major motion picture together that fast, especially while staying under the radar.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!