Harmony Gold Dub on YouTube

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ashura
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Harmony Gold Dub on YouTube

Post by Ashura » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:07 pm

Though let me clarify; they could just be aliases they used period and it doesn't mean it was non-union. That's just the typical reason for it, usually.
My favorite movie henchman is Sancho.

Follow my stupid crap on Twitter. Please note, I do not have time to reply to any PMs about color correction methods anymore; sorry about that.

[ Hoyoyo! Please pick up our Dr. Slump DVD! ]

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:26 am

Does anybody know how rare that VHS tape is? I know it's not in English but I can't seem to find it anywhere else. http://www.amazon.com/Zero-Dragon-Magic ... 021&sr=8-1

Drayenko
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Drayenko » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:15 am

Pokewhiz7 wrote:Does anybody know how rare that VHS tape is? I know it's not in English but I can't seem to find it anywhere else. http://www.amazon.com/Zero-Dragon-Magic ... 021&sr=8-1
I would assume it's pretty rare. It is the first Mexican dub where they called Goku "Zero." I believe they dubbed the first 13 episodes or something like that. If I had the money I would buy it :D

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Sun May 01, 2011 7:50 am

Well, I can't seem to find it anywhere else. Blockbuster Mexico has a listing for it, but they don't have any copies. There's also a Facebook page for it with just over 100 likes. I've also seen a few forum post about it and YouTube videos as well. Basically, the Latin American version of this dub seems to be far more well known, but Harmony Gold/whoever the distributor was produced very little copies of that tape and any others that may be in existence. Oddly enough, the tape is being sold by somebody in America. Very few people seem to remember the English Harmoy Gold dub (although there are a few). If anybody knows what XHGC 1998, feel free to tell me.

KuriboShoe

Post by KuriboShoe » Sun May 01, 2011 10:00 am

Wikipedia wrote:XHGC-TV , commonly known as Canal 5, is a TV station owned by Televisa, broadcasting from Mexico City, with affiliates and repeaters throughout Mexico. The channel is intended for children and young people, while at night times usually include a more general concept with foreign series. Its programming comes from producers like Warner Bros., ABC, CBS, Fox Broadcasting Company, Universal Studios, among others. Also includes productions of Televisa.
"HI GIRLS!" - Twilght Sparkle
I don't like the fanfic "Cupcakes"
"Silly Vegeta, It's not Halloween, It's Christmas!" - TFS Goku

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Sun May 01, 2011 1:47 pm

Why is it specifically for 1998 then? You don't see me watching Cartoon Network 2011.

atm5508
Beyond Newbie

Post by atm5508 » Sun May 01, 2011 3:40 pm

This might be kind of a stupid question, but did Harmony Gold ever release any DB to home video? If this video is floating around out there, I feel like there might be a chance of a very limited release somewhere in North America.

Also, has anybody seen the supposed screener copy given out by Funimation to promote DB to TV stations in 1995? There's an old usenet/google groups thread about it, but I've never heard it confirmed that anybody owns this.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.arts ... ster&pli=1

There's another thread with more arguing about the tape and it's origins as well.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.arts ... b1693cdd7e

You have to read a few posts, but it's there.

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Wed May 11, 2011 2:57 am

Sorry for necro posting. But is it true that Wendee Lee did the voice for Bulma in the HG dub?

SaiyamanMS
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyamanMS » Wed May 11, 2011 4:34 am

Yep, she used the pseudonym "Wendee Swan", but you can clearly hear that Lena (Bulma's name in this dub) is voiced by her. She sounds almost identical to Haruhi Suzumiya!

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Wed May 11, 2011 4:53 am

SaiyamanMS wrote:Yep, she used the pseudonym "Wendee Swan", but you can clearly hear that Lena (Bulma's name in this dub) is voiced by her. She sounds almost identical to Haruhi Suzumiya!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbOjS0Ah7_oI think I've lost a little respect for one of my favorite voice actress's. But at the same time I've gained respect for her.

SaiyamanMS
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyamanMS » Wed May 11, 2011 5:28 am

Well, it's a pretty good dub by the standards of the 1980s. It has the original Japanese music and is significantly less censored than the 90's Funimation dub.

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Wed May 11, 2011 3:40 pm

SaiyamanMS wrote:Well, it's a pretty good dub by the standards of the 1980s. It has the original Japanese music and is significantly less censored than the 90's Funimation dub.
I think the large majority of it was time cuts, since it only really aired on local stations.

Ashura
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ashura » Wed May 11, 2011 4:54 pm

I think most of the cuts are the same or at least very similar to the cuts made by Funimation.

There's actually a bunch of stuff in the Funimation version that likely wouldn'tve been in the Harmony Gold version just because by the time Funi took up the show you could digitally edit things. For instance, think about any scene where Goku's naked. Can you imagine editing around that without having the ability to give him underwear?
My favorite movie henchman is Sancho.

Follow my stupid crap on Twitter. Please note, I do not have time to reply to any PMs about color correction methods anymore; sorry about that.

[ Hoyoyo! Please pick up our Dr. Slump DVD! ]