Harmony Gold Dub on YouTube

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Re: Harmony Gold Dub on YouTube

Post by linkdude20002001 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:15 am

After watching them, I find I really love this dub. ^_^ The actors fit their characters, the acting is good, no annoying voices, I like the script... The name changes don't even bother me, surprisingly.
Mosaic wrote:I really like the voices for the most part... except Lunch. She's not too bad, but far from good. I think I love Oolong and Kuririn's the best. The name changes are too bizarre. So FUNI didn't make up the name flying nimbus?
Oolong's my second least favourite. Lunch's is the worst obviously... Though, it really cracks me up every time I hear it. :mrgreen:

And not only do they use Flying Nimbus; they also use Master Roshi. I'm guessing the English script that TOEI gives out to companies must've used these odd names. Hmm... :/
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:17 am

After watching them, I find I really love this dub. ^_^ The actors fit their characters, the acting is good, no annoying voices, I like the script... The name changes don't even bother me, surprisingly.
Mosaic wrote:I really like the voices for the most part... except Lunch. She's not too bad, but far from good. I think I love Oolong and Kuririn's the best. The name changes are too bizarre. So FUNI didn't make up the name flying nimbus?
Oolong's my second least favourite. Lunch's is the worst obviously... Though, it really cracks me up every time I hear it. :mrgreen:

And not only do they use Flying Nimbus; they also use Master Roshi. I'm guessing the English script that TOEI gives out to companies must've used these odd names. Hmm... :/

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:54 am

I am totally shocked that these guys got textless versions of BOTH OP2 *and* the Movie 3 ending. Neither FUNimation nor the Dragon Boxes have those!
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:00 am

The dub isn't really that good, it's just not as horrible as I thought it was. It suffers a little from Speed Racer level dialog cramming. I'd say its on par with FUNimation's early dubbing of these movies. Which was also pretty poor.

Turtle Marked Stone
Regular

Post by Turtle Marked Stone » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:47 am

This is some really solid voice acting. Roshi, Puar, Yamucha and Goku all sound great. Not a fan of Oolong but HG already has a better track record than Funimation within a clip.

Script wise it's not so hot.

Edit: Just checked out the 2nd clip, for the most part the voices are still fairly solid. Arale sounded perfect.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:12 pm

Is it just me, or does Oolong sound sorta like a slightly deeper Inspector Gadget?
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:27 pm

Interestingly, many of the lines in this script are identical or extremely close to FUNimation's 1995 dub, and even the recent 2010 dub. For example:

Harmony Gold: "I wish that my homeland was peaceful and beautiful again" "SO BE IT. YOUR LAND WILL NEVER BE AT PEACE SO LONG AS THERE ARE SUCH RICHES BENEATH IT" "No! Not my earth rubies!"

FUNimation 1995: "I wish my land was peaceful and beautiful again" "SO BE IT. THE LAND WILL NEVER BE AT PEACE SO LONG AS THERE ARE SUCH RICHES BENEATH IT" "No! Not my blood rubies!"

FUNimation 2010: "I wish my land was beautiful and peaceful again!" // "So be it!" // "No! Not my precious blood rubies!"

Also, for added lols, I synched the audio from the first movie to the Dragon Box (though I'm not gonna post it here unless it's a stream or something like that). Interesting just how much stuff was chopped out. Gonna try to do movie 3 too, hopefully getting that one synched decently.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:49 pm

Puto wrote: Also, for added lols, I synched the audio from the first movie to the Dragon Box (though I'm not gonna post it here unless it's a stream or something like that). Interesting just how much stuff was chopped out. Gonna try to do movie 3 too, hopefully getting that one synched decently.
Do you think they did that as censorship or just to make it shorter?

Mosaic
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mosaic » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:19 pm

The major downside is the theme song. The lyrics are cheesy and they gave up half way and just put in kids laughing. They didn't bother to dub Romantic Ageru Yo.

Just how much of Dragon Ball did they dub? I'm assuming the second movie was dubbed too?

CODii
Regular

Post by CODii » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:55 pm

Innagadadavida wrote:The dub isn't really that good, it's just not as horrible as I thought it was. It suffers a little from Speed Racer level dialog cramming. I'd say its on par with FUNimation's early dubbing of these movies. Which was also pretty poor.
I don't really understand why everyone seems to love this either. Maybe its just the new factor?

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:47 pm

Whoa, thanks for sharing. I wonder how a guy in Russia managed to get his hands on this.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:58 pm

I always wanted to watch the Harmony Gold dub seeing how awful it sounds and can get a good laugh out of it. I only hear audio voice files from the dub.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:06 am

I was wondering if anyone could be kind enough upload the full audio of the movies only? I wanted to use parts of the HG dub audio on a video project of mine, and I have no way of downloading the video file right now.

I'd appreciate it.
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

CODii
Regular

Post by CODii » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:43 am

Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:Whoa, thanks for sharing. I wonder how a guy in Russia managed to get his hands on this.
The uploader isn't from Russia. He's from the USA and the only website that he could find that would actually allow him to upload the content happened to be in Russia.

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:17 am

CODii wrote:
Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:Whoa, thanks for sharing. I wonder how a guy in Russia managed to get his hands on this.
The uploader isn't from Russia. He's from the USA and the only website that he could find that would actually allow him to upload the content happened to be in Russia.
My bad. Still, it was a great find.

CODii
Regular

Post by CODii » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:58 am

I know it's probably a n00bish question, but why does this dub exist? What's the history behind it?

ThunderPX
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ThunderPX » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:08 am

In short: back in the 80s, way before FUNimation ever got involved with the franchise, Harmony Gold licensed it. They dubbed these movies as a sort of pilot, but it didn't catch on and they never followed up on it. So eventually, the license expired and FUNimation was able to get it a couple years later.
I'm Rosie (she/her). My username is a chuuni holdover from nearly two decades ago :shock:

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:38 pm

So they only dubbed movies 1 and 3?

Namekjin
Beyond Newbie

Post by Namekjin » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:56 pm

Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:So they only dubbed movies 1 and 3?
Yep, only those and five episodes that never aired. (I think.)
"This is gonna be easier than coloring inside the lines!" - Vegeta
"OVER 9000!" - Vegeta
"YOU'LL NEVER ESCAPE....MY WRATH!!!" - Vegeta
Nobody wrote : The Season Sets are superior in every way!!!

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:12 am

CODii wrote:I don't really understand why everyone seems to love this either. Maybe its just the new factor?
For me it's the voices and acting, and the use of the original BGM. With the addition of that last part, it's significantly better than the 1994 dub. XD
ThunderPX wrote:In short: back in the 80s, way before FUNimation ever got involved with the franchise... So eventually, the license expired and FUNimation was able to get it a couple years later.
More like "Way before FUNimation ever existed." Lol.