Harmony Gold Dub on YouTube

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Levlik
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Harmony Gold Dub on YouTube

Post by Levlik » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:20 am

Roshi's voice is absolutely fantastic. It's the only English voice he's ever had that didn't sound like a complete joke when he's in his serious mood. Love it.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:39 am

Pokewhiz7 wrote:
Puto wrote: Also, for added lols, I synched the audio from the first movie to the Dragon Box (though I'm not gonna post it here unless it's a stream or something like that). Interesting just how much stuff was chopped out. Gonna try to do movie 3 too, hopefully getting that one synched decently.
Do you think they did that as censorship or just to make it shorter?
Some of it was censorship, but the big majority of cuts have nothing problematic in them so they're just time cuts.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

ThunderPX
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ThunderPX » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:41 am

linkdude20002001 wrote:
CODii wrote:I don't really understand why everyone seems to love this either. Maybe its just the new factor?
For me it's the voices and acting, and the use of the original BGM. With the addition of that last part, it's significantly better than the 1994 dub. XD
ThunderPX wrote:In short: back in the 80s, way before FUNimation ever got involved with the franchise... So eventually, the license expired and FUNimation was able to get it a couple years later.
More like "Way before FUNimation ever existed." Lol.
Well they can't get involved if they don't exist, so there. :P
I'm Rosie (she/her). My username is a chuuni holdover from nearly two decades ago :shock:

Mosaic
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mosaic » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:53 pm

linkdude20002001 wrote:For me it's the voices and acting, and the use of the original BGM. With the addition of that last part, it's significantly better than the 1994 dub. XD
The voice acting is better than the 2001 dub IMO. Plus some of the re-writes are actually kind of funny and witty. Usually when FUNI goes off script it's just annoying and corny.

TVfan721
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TVfan721 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:48 pm

What movie is this opening from? Or did the person just take the audio and put it with this opening? I ask because the opening that I posted below uses different clips than the one in the Russian link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuHo3hz0mG0

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:57 pm

tvfan721 wrote:What movie is this opening from? Or did the person just take the audio and put it with this opening?
Yes. That video was made back when the only thing anyone had from the Harmony Gold dub was some sound clips, including the entire opening song.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

TVfan721
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TVfan721 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:08 pm

Adamant wrote:
tvfan721 wrote:What movie is this opening from? Or did the person just take the audio and put it with this opening?
Yes. That video was made back when the only thing anyone had from the Harmony Gold dub was some sound clips, including the entire opening song.
Ok I thought so. How did they sync it up though? Cause the Harmony Gold opening is actually longer than the Japanese opening!

TVfan721
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TVfan721 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:12 pm

One more thing, I think there's WAY more to this dub then simply 2 movies and 5 episodes. Someone here once said, they dubbed the entire Original series and another dub out there uses the Harmony Gold script cause Goku is called Zero in there dub too.

EDIT: Yeah, there's a Spanish dub http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIkUKN5UnBM&fmt=18 It uses the exact same theme song and Goku is called Zero.

Levlik
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Levlik » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:36 pm

I suppose now that we know Toei gave them the second opening that "Bad guys lurking everywhere" in a demonic voice when Piccolo Daimao shows up makes a lot more sense given the context of what's going on in the intro. That "Wise guys, they don't know at (it?) all!" line still makes absolutely no sense, though. What's with the random movie 2 footage at the end of the intro, though? Did Harmony Gold even dub that?

Daimo-Rukiri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:38 am

Just watched the first movie, have to say I love the voices for the most part. With some better direction they could have been fantastic!
Roshi and Son Goku are by far my favorites out the cast! Oh, and I adore Yamucha's voice!
Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Dragon Ball Hero's Spirit development blog - An Action-RPG coming soon to monitor near you!
https://dragonball-hs.tumblr.com/

Ashura
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ashura » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:28 am

So I've been restoring the first Harmony Gold feature using way way better footage and cleaning up the audio with the help of a friend of mine to keep in my personal collection. I've completed most things, and I've also managed to re-edit the ending so it doesn't clip off so abruptly, but I'm at a point where I need some materials to finish it up... (More on that when I make a fan-project thread; I need some help figuring out the intro plus I need a sound effect of Kintoun to fix the ending.)

I'm surprised that the video the kind person with the VHS uploaded worked out and matched up so well, since it only runs at 14fps.

Anyway, that's not the subject of this post. As I did my edit, I wrote down notes to help me keep track of everything I did. It turned out to be a good edit list, so I thought it would be a good thing to share with the community (and it was actually the whole reason I signed up here!) Nothing here is too surprising, and, really, I wonder if everything matches up exactly to the original Funimation Blood Rubies dub? If I were tasked with having to edit this for TV and time, I probably would've made (most) of these same edits. Even still, some of them are a tiny bit bizarre. So let's get started!

The first edit, and I'm not sure if this is an actual edit, but the opening narration is completely gone. I think it's likely that this is cut, since right after Mysterious Adventure plays, they have narration in the dub. So for timing sake, all of the timecodes for these edits begin right at the beginning of Mysterious Adventure.

Mysterious Adventure is some odd conglomeration of scenes. Some scenes are from Devil's Castle, I think? It's also textless, and HG has overlayed a Robotechesque font with the production credits over it. If someone can help me identify exactly what they did here, that would be awesome. As it stands, my cut just uses the actual Japanese intro.

The first confirmed cut in the is 8 minutes, 8 seconds in. Bulma pulls a gun and starts firing on Goku. Goku's shot in the head a bunch of times (and he shakes it off like the little tank he is), and it's quite easy to see why this was edited out of the broadcast. A young teenage girl using a gun? Yeah right.

The second cut is 19 minutes and 59 seconds in. Yamucha encroaches on Goku's personal space and kicks him in the face. 2 or 3 frames of a goofy looking spit-take are cut out (I wonder why? Is this cut from Funimation's first Blood Rubies dub?), followed by slow-mo of Goku's face flying through the air, and then Yamucha clawing at Goku's face. This goes on quite a bit -- somewhat gratuitously in fact -- before he Hadouken-shoves Goku so hard he flies through the air and into a wall. The Harmony Gold edit cuts back in when Goku smashes into a wall, so it looks like Yamucha just swiftly kicks Goku and he goes flying through the air. It's actually pretty seamless, frankly.

The third edit is mere moments later at 20 minutes 10 seconds. Goku gets back up from being smashed into a wall, and uses the Rock Paper Scissor technique on Yamucha, quite brutally poking him in the eyes and dispensing with him. The Harmony Gold edit picks back up where Bulma comes in and uses her even more impressive cootie technique to scare off Yamucha.

The next edit is 28 minutes and 48 seconds in, and it's easy to see this one coming. Bulma has Oolong disguise himself as her so that she doesn't have to show Roshi her bazongas. This backfires in so much that Oolong gets a little too into it. In the Harmony Gold cut, it cuts to Gurumez's men scoping out the situation from afar. In case you were wondering, before Gurumez's goons interviene, in the Harmony Gold dialogue all Roshi asks for is a kiss and not a boobie show.

At 31:50 minutes in, some slow and thoughtful scenes are cut, with scenes of Goku flying around on the Kintoun and Oolong complaining to Bulma while they fly off from Roshi's island. While there's obviously some pausing on the VHS, I'm pretty sure this was just a commercial break, mainly because it fades up during a scene where a seagul is flying in whereas in the original it fades through Master Roshi talking into the same scene with the seagul. (Some frames of the seagul sequence are cut-out due to this.) My only guess as to why this was cut was mainly timing or them figuring kids wouldn't dig the slow scenes since there's really nothing offensive there.

At 32:34 more of Oolong's complaining inside of Bulma's aircraft is cut out; this time he's insulting Bulma's motives for getting the Dragonballs and she's not very amused by him claiming she's only in it for herself and that she'll run off as soon as she gets them. He then asks why she's searching for the Dragonballs, and when she says it's for a boy-toy we cut to a long shot of the plane shaking with Oolong angrily calling Bulma a lamester mcstupidface. Instead of Oolong's eloquence, we cut directly to Gurumez berating his soldiers. I really have no idea why this was cut out. If it wasn't for time, it must've been too-slow a scene for kids.

At 33:56, just after Goku is attacked by Main Baddy #1, scenes of Gurumez's men firing gratuitously at Bulma's airship and they narrowly evade getting shot down are snipped away. They had no problems showing the bullets before, so my guess is this is either a timing thing, or they just weren't comfortable showing this /amount/ of bullets. I'd say timing, if only because at this time in American cartoons (in HG's Robotech, natch), they weren't too worried about showing bullets hitting and destroying inanimate objects, and in fact the scene where the plane is shot down does remain! It just looks like Bulma's plane goes down really easily in the Harmony Gold version, making Capsule Corp.'s equipment seem less reliable to 1980s America's Test Audiences! Such misrepresentation... I wonder if Dr. Briefs would have a good lawsuit against HG due to damaging the image of his fine Capsule Corp. products somewhere in this edit?

At 34:22 there's a rather severe edit to Goku's battle with Henchman #1, though it's easy to see why; The Henchman -- specifically an adult henchman -- takes Goku's face and runs it through a the outside of Gurumez's castle while flying through the air, the remains of bricks flying through the air in their wake. It's quite obvious why they cut this out, especially since they don't establish that Goku's a tough cookie and bullets don't even harm him. You can just imagine the Harmony Gold lawyers thinking 'Kids might try to imitate this and we're reasonably sure their faces won't break the siding off of really old castles.'

A few seconds later, it's way okay for kids to throw adults through the sides of really old castles though, as we see Henchman #1 fall off his hover-thing due to Goku's due diligence!

35 minutes in; Not an edit. Yamucha storming the castle and smashing one of Gurumez's soldiers in the face so hard that it damages the guys teeth. Wow.

35:57; There's a small cut where bullets richocheting repeatedly off of Yamucha's stomache and do absolutely no harm while he sort of freaks out comically. It actually makes the whole scene seem more brutal with the edit; the since the scene plays out with the main henchwoman running up, pulling out a sub machinegun, the gun firing gratuitously, Yamucha getting shot as we cut to a profile shot of him getting blown back into a wall as Bulma and crew run away in terror as Yamucha's body unceremoniously slides down the wall and slumps to the ground is all intact. Maybe that was the point of the edit? To make bullets seem more dangerous? To be honest, speaking from strictly an editor's standpoint, the Harmony Gold cut flows better in this instance.

36:15 Showing Yamucha's shirt with bulletholes through it was a-okay, but during his battle with Henchwoman #1 it's not okay to show him accidentally grabbing her boob and her becoming startled. In the Harmony Gold version, Yamucha is, instead, a hair fetishist we find out. It's not accidentally grabbing mammaries that makes him go numb, no no no no, but merely seeing Henchwoman #1's luxurious flowing hair.

It's either cutely naive, or in a sort of weird and creepy 'I've got a folder on my hard drive named hair, and in it, there are subfolders labeled by color and length' kind of way. I guess we're lucky it wasn't feet?

The funnier thing about this is that in the Harmony Gold version, this scene is immediately followed by Henchwoman #1 going ballistic and throwing grenades at Yamucha repeatedly because he.. GASP ... saw her hair!

Jumping to 39:54, a scene of the Pre-Z-Fighters and Penny looking up at Shen-Long in amazement is cut, as-is some footage of the dragon. Likely for time!

And then at 40:03, a slow panning shot of Penny remembering the hardships the blood rubies have caused her and her village is cut out. Either likely for time or for it being too-slow paced for children.

40:54, a short scene of Penny thanking Shen-Long for his help is cut out. Ungrateful little demonspawn!

The capture we have cuts off at about 42:08... I wouldn't doubt that it actually ends here and cuts to credits. What follows is a scene of people waving to Goku as he flies off, and we segue into I'll Give You Romance. (I'll romance you!!!) The HG ending -- if it's the same as the second movie -- is a still card of Goku in his orange gi on Kintoun over clouds with Mysterious Adventure playing. What is this from? One of the later openings I think? It was used as a VHS cover at one point I believe...

And there you have it.
My favorite movie henchman is Sancho.

Follow my stupid crap on Twitter. Please note, I do not have time to reply to any PMs about color correction methods anymore; sorry about that.

[ Hoyoyo! Please pick up our Dr. Slump DVD! ]

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:29 am

The HG opening is the second opening animation with a few movie 2 scenes added at the end at random.

Willie D

Post by Willie D » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:37 pm

Ashura:

That's not a bad idea syncing the HG dub to a better video source (hopefully you used the audio from the .mp4 and not rutube). If you need something better PM me and maybe I can figure out how to get audio directly from the .avi although it sounds like you have it under control already.

Ashura
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ashura » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:15 pm

Puto wrote:The HG opening is the second opening animation with a few movie 2 scenes added at the end at random.
Does this exist in a textless form? From reading the thread, I've heard doubts about it.
My favorite movie henchman is Sancho.

Follow my stupid crap on Twitter. Please note, I do not have time to reply to any PMs about color correction methods anymore; sorry about that.

[ Hoyoyo! Please pick up our Dr. Slump DVD! ]

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:42 pm

Nope. Apparently HG got a textless version of it somehow though. I did manage to make a MOSTLY textless version of it from splicing clips of the two PSA specials together, but I'm still lacking 3-4 scenes.

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:09 pm

Perhaps somebody with the Dragon Box and this can get a completely textless OP 2 together. I'm not sure, do the openings use original animation or are they clips from the show? I think it was a mix.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:13 pm

Openings and endings for Japanese cartoons are almost always given entirely original animation. All variations of the DB opening use 100% original animation.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:22 pm

linkdude20002001 wrote:Openings and endings for Japanese cartoons are almost always given entirely original animation. All variations of the DB opening use 100% original animation.
Oh really? I could of sworn I've seen a bunch of those scenes. Are there any scenes in OP 2 that there is no textless version of? (Harmony Gold, PSAs, etc.?)

atm5508
Beyond Newbie

Post by atm5508 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:25 pm

Nice work on the edit list Ashura!
Last edited by atm5508 on Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:35 pm

Ashura wrote: 36:15 Showing Yamucha's shirt with bulletholes through it was a-okay, but during his battle with Henchwoman #1 it's not okay to show him accidentally grabbing her boob and her becoming startled. In the Harmony Gold version, Yamucha is, instead, a hair fetishist we find out. It's not accidentally grabbing mammaries that makes him go numb, no no no no, but merely seeing Henchwoman #1's luxurious flowing hair.

It's either cutely naive, or in a sort of weird and creepy 'I've got a folder on my hard drive named hair, and in it, there are subfolders labeled by color and length' kind of way. I guess we're lucky it wasn't feet?
To be fair, this IS early-DB Yamucha we're talking about, and he'd probably be freaked out by something like that in the original anyway.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!