How old were you when you first got into Dragon Ball?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Re: How old were you when you first got into Dragon Ball?

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:53 pm

I've been asked this so many times I've forgotten myself. 7, 8, 9? OK, in a nutshell...

Friend told me about it in town, remember thinking "What the hell's a Super Saiyan?". Went round his house sometime later, played Ultimate Battle 22 and Final Bout. Found it awesome, so I bought a DBZ magazine and Budokai 2 a while later. Even more awesome.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

ThunderPX
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ThunderPX » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:49 pm

I think the anime started airing here in 2001, so that would make me eight because I know for certain my birthday hadn't come around yet. I remember this because during my birthday party, one of us suddenly said "Hey, DBZ's on!" so we all sat down to watch it... and it was Bulma and the crab filler. :(
I'm Rosie (she/her). My username is a chuuni holdover from nearly two decades ago :shock:

SRB2Unleashed
Regular

Post by SRB2Unleashed » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:29 pm

I was born when the show got to the Fake Namek Episodes, and DBZ was me and my cousins' obssession when we were young. When I got Budokai 1 for the Gamecube, we were in heaven. I think they were jealous I was the one to keep the game though XD

Good memories.
GT isn't bad, just sucks ass in comparison to the other 2 animes.

Subscribe to me on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/ImmaKrillinYT

beast mode
Beyond Newbie

Post by beast mode » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:00 am

7 or younger.

I remember getting some import GT action figures from somewhere when the Artificial Human arc was airing on the tele and I thought Pan was Chi-Chi or something. Vegetto also ended up losing his single bang, but some red paint fixed that into a head shot.
...whining about the anime because it doesn't follow my "manga volumes agenda."

CheechMonger

Post by CheechMonger » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:45 pm

Though I was aware of DB from years past, I only started reading the manga in 2006 and I think I finally started regularly to catching episodes on Cartoon Network (Friday or Saturday nights, I can't remember for sure), which put me at 46. Boy do I feel old here :(
In his spare time, when he isn't training or fighting (and when isn't he training or fighting), does Goku do Sudoku? Find out.... TODAY!!!

Ahiru77
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ahiru77 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:11 pm

^ Zoiks!!!!

You get to look down on us immature young'ins. :mrgreen:

smiley
Beyond Newbie

Post by smiley » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:14 pm

I finished it when I was 12.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:03 pm

Around 9 or 10 back in 2000 or 2001. Yeah I was bit late in the game unlike most people.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Codarik
Advanced Regular

Post by Codarik » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:17 pm

I believe I was 9 at the time, now I'm almost 20. I don't think I will ever stop watching DB since I've been a fan for this long. It would be kind of a waste to give it up now.

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:22 am

4, but my fandom was pretty on-and-off in my early years.

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:50 pm

I was like 3-5. I remember it being on Cartoon Network, although I remember the episode "Home For Infinite Losers" so it must have been pretty early on.

MugiMikey
Beyond Newbie

Post by MugiMikey » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:00 pm

It was 1999 when I watched it on Toonami and got hooked, so I was eight.

I first caught glimpse of it a year beforehand at a friend's house via VHS tapes, but I wasn't interested. I'm glad I gave it a chance when I saw it on Toonami.

emperor pilaf

Post by emperor pilaf » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:09 pm

I think I was around 9 or 11, but my memory is blurry. I remember watching The Tree of Might, one of the Cooler movies and the begining of the Cell arc on Toonami. I also remember watching most of the Buu arc in Mexico.
Your mom plays Dead space 2.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:50 am

I got into it at age 14-ish when Seasons 1 & 2 were repeating over and over on Toonami. I walked inwhen Goku knocked out Reacoome. I was hooked ever since.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:24 pm

I notice a decent amount of people in this thread became fans when Budokai 1 or 2 came out in 2002 or 2003. Maybe it's just me because I find hard to believe that those games almost a decade old.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

dr_raichi

Post by dr_raichi » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:54 pm

In 1988, like all Frenchies. And i was 4.

Daimo-Rukiri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:03 pm

1993-4? 4 or 5^^
Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Dragon Ball Hero's Spirit development blog - An Action-RPG coming soon to monitor near you!
https://dragonball-hs.tumblr.com/

Shiyonasan
Advanced Regular

Post by Shiyonasan » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:24 pm

I would have been 7, because the first episode I watched was episode 75 (61 in the old numbering) on Toonami back on, according to Wikipedia, September 21, 1999.

The parts with Gohan, Kuririn, and Dende sneaking off with the dragonballs were what got me interested in the series. After Vegeta woke up and found out that the dragonballs were gone in the next episode, I was hooked.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:43 pm

I was 12. Fall of '98. Toonami had just started airing the re-runs. Goku was running the Serpentine Road, and Gohan was training in the wilderness. I could have sworn that Gohan was probably Goku's son, what with the similar names and similar clothing, but then that Snake Princess used a dream mirror to show that Goku's son was actually a much scrawnier kid in a yellow tunic with a tail. Then I was confused...
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Vernichter

Post by Vernichter » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:24 pm

Oh gosh, way back in the later 90's. I was around 11, I think?

I remember seeing the Ocean dub with Raditz, and only been able to find that volume on VHS for quite a while. Then I started getting into the fansubs. Then came the season sets, then Kai, now the Dragon Boxes.

I also remember my cousin back in the day having fansubs of a few Cell Games episodes, and the Cooler movie. Should have seen my reaction to Super Saiyans, since at that point I had only seen the early Saiyan saga. My reaction to Goku transforming and solo'ing Freeza was like "whaaaaa?" since I had figured him and Vegeta teamed up or something.