Majin Buu's voice

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MetalMadness
Beyond Newbie

Majin Buu's voice

Post by MetalMadness » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:03 pm

I always see so much talk about Nakao, Wakamoto, Young, Ayres, and Clarke, but I never see any talk of Buu's voice actors - Japanese or English. Hell, I don't even know who Buu's Japanese VA is!

I thought it would be interesting to discuss the opinions on Buu's voice, and what it should sound like. Particularly Fat Buu and Super Buu, there isn't much to talk about in Kid Buu.

I know that most people dislike Buu's FUNi voice, because it was way too "baby-like." I must say I agree, the voice never came across as serious or creepy when Buu really needed to be. But the script really degraded him too, I think with a better script and toned down babyness, the voice could definitely work. It's a shame we won't see that since Kai won't be doing Buu :(

As for Super Buu, I did like Cook's portrayal of when he absorbed anybody else, but as the regular Super Buu it sounded really generic. Then again Super Buu is generic so I guess it fits

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Re: Majin Buu's voice

Post by Herms » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:29 pm

In Japanese, all of Boo's forms are voiced by Kouzou Shioya.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Namekjin
Beyond Newbie

Post by Namekjin » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:35 pm

Actually the Ocean dub's voice actor for Buu is baby-like than FUNimations.
"This is gonna be easier than coloring inside the lines!" - Vegeta
"OVER 9000!" - Vegeta
"YOU'LL NEVER ESCAPE....MY WRATH!!!" - Vegeta
Nobody wrote : The Season Sets are superior in every way!!!

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:42 pm

Namekjin wrote:Actually the Ocean dub's voice actor for Buu is baby-like than FUNimations.
Yeah, I love Josh Martin's Mr. Buu. Scott McNeil's was awful.
[url=http://www.facebook.com/Son.Goku.Densetsu]Facebook[/url]

Namekjin
Beyond Newbie

Post by Namekjin » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:53 pm

DB_Fan1991 wrote:
Namekjin wrote:Actually the Ocean dub's voice actor for Buu is baby-like than FUNimations.
I like Funimation's voice better too.
"OVER 9000!" - Vegeta

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:58 pm

Herms wrote:In Japanese, all of Boo's forms are voiced by Kouzou Shioya.
I really liked Kôzô's work, he already had the range to play all of the different Majin Boo forms by himself. Who'd have thought one of the incidental actors would wind up being the final, big villain?
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:00 pm

Namekjin wrote:
DB_Fan1991 wrote:
I like Funimation's voice better too.
Josh Martin's Buu like Sean Schemmel's Goku gets way too much smack from the elitists.

Namekjin
Beyond Newbie

Post by Namekjin » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:06 pm

DB_Fan1991 wrote:Josh Martin's Buu like Sean Schemmel's Goku gets way too much smack from the elitists.
I agree.
"OVER 9000!" - Vegeta

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:10 pm

Why does a voice critique have to be elitist?

Is there truly some overwhelming majority of pompous and asininely arrogant fans that write and voice excessive tirades against that actor's performance with a derogatory tone?

'Cuz I sure haven't seen it. Then again, I'm not even remotely interested in that dub, so I'm not out there looking for it...
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Namekjin
Beyond Newbie

Post by Namekjin » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:18 pm

I don't hate none of the voices at all but I just think that some could have done better.
"OVER 9000!" - Vegeta

CODii
Regular

Post by CODii » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:56 pm

My problem with the baby voices for them is that they, Just like the original Freeza Funi dub voice, simply do not match the character. The Japanese version is the original source. It established what the character is. I don't see the logic behind the dubbing company completely changing the nature of the character.

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:01 pm

CODii wrote:My problem with the baby voices for them is that they, Just like the original Freeza Funi dub voice, simply do not match the character. The Japanese version is the original source. It established what the character is. I don't see the logic behind the dubbing company completely changing the nature of the character.
I'll give you that Linda Young doesn't work on Freeza, but Josh Martin's Mr. Buu fits perfectly. Mr. Buu kind of looks babyish, so it's appropriate for the character. When I first heard the Japanese Mr. Buu I was horrified that he had a deep voice it just doesn't fit.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:07 pm

Shioya's voice isn't "deep" at all for "Mr. Buu". I'd say it's right in the mid-range in terms of actual tone. It's got a wonderful creepiness and innocence to it that comes across in both its raw sound and the actual words that come out of his mouth.

A "deep" voice would be something like Daisuke Gori (Mr. Satan) or Ryuzaburo Otomo (Dabra).

I guess it's "deep" compared to the squealing that comes out of FUNimation's voice for the character... :?
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

CODii
Regular

Post by CODii » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:09 pm

DB_Fan1991 wrote:
CODii wrote:My problem with the baby voices for them is that they, Just like the original Freeza Funi dub voice, simply do not match the character. The Japanese version is the original source. It established what the character is. I don't see the logic behind the dubbing company completely changing the nature of the character.
I'll give you that Linda Young doesn't work on Freeza, but Josh Martin's Mr. Buu fits perfectly. Mr. Buu kind of looks babyish, so it's appropriate for the character. When I first heard the Japanese Mr. Buu I was horrified that he had a deep voice it just doesn't fit.
How can you say that it doesn't fit when it came first? It simply is the character. The Japanese version came first so it established the character's nature.

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:11 pm

CODii wrote:How can you say that it doesn't fit when it came first? It simply is the character. The Japanese version came first so it established the character's nature.
I'm sorry, but I just don't like a lot of the Japanese DB cast. There are some good ones Toru Furuya, Norio Wakamoto, Ryusei Nakao, Daisuke Gori, Mayumi Tanaka, etc... At least Buu doesn't sound as bad as Goku does. I am used to FUNi's dub, and those voices are the characters to me. Now it's only DB I'm a major dubbie for, Sailor Moon for example I stick with the Japanese version.
Last edited by DB_Fan1991 on Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:12 pm

You don't have to apologize for not liking something, but at the same time, you can't really just spit out claims about things that aren't fully accurate.

Use examples and provide backing for your opinions. That's all anyone asks if you're looking to engage in a serious discussion.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:16 pm

VegettoEX wrote:Shioya's voice isn't "deep" at all for "Mr. Buu". I'd say it's right in the mid-range in terms of actual tone. It's got a wonderful creepiness and innocence to it that comes across in both its raw sound and the actual words that come out of his mouth.

A "deep" voice would be something like Daisuke Gori (Mr. Satan) or Ryuzaburo Otomo (Dabra).

I guess it's "deep" compared to the squealing that comes out of FUNimation's voice for the character... :?
Well, he does lower it a bit for the absorbed forms, although I suppose that's more a care of him speaking more like Piccolo would, rather than an outright change in voice type (like Gôri would when changing from Umigame to Enma or Mr. Satan). But you're right, he's no where near as 'deep' as Gôri, Ôtomo or Sasaki.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:19 pm

I think JP Evil Buu is outstanding!
I've always enjoyed that voice and found it very believable.

CODii
Regular

Post by CODii » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:20 pm

DB_Fan1991 wrote:
CODii wrote:How can you say that it doesn't fit when it came first? It simply is the character. The Japanese version came first so it established the character's nature.
I'm sorry, but I just don't like a lot of the Japanese DB cast. There are some good ones Toru Furuya, Norio Wakamoto, Ryusei Nakao, Daisuke Gori, Mayumi Tanaka, etc... At least Buu doesn't sound as bad as Goku does. I am used to FUNi's dub, and those voices are the characters to me. Now it's only DB I'm a major dubbie for, Sailor Moon for example I stick with the Japanese version.
No need to apologize. You can like whatever it is you want to like. What I disagree with is the assertion that the Japanese voice doesn't fit the character. That the English voice is somehow more appropriate/true to character. If I may borrow a phrase commonly used by VegettoEX, what we are talking about is a "state of being." Since the Japanese version came first, it established what the character is. Whether you like it or not, it is what it is.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:54 pm

I started with the Japanese version of the series and video games, and before Funimation ever got close to the Buu Arc, I already disliked the Majin's voice. Even watching the original version first, it didn't seem like the voice fit his character to me. You can dispute that the original set the voice for the character and that is what is intended, but there are times when I listen to people talk in real life and think "How the hell does a person like that have this kinda voice? It doesn't suit them at all.".

The transformed versions of the Japanese Buu are tolerable at best for me, but Funimation hit the nail on the head with the voices for practically all of them IMO. And honestly, I find that weird myself, and I almost always prefer the original Japanese voice cast. It makes me a bit sad, but I REALLY find it painful to watch the early and late portions of the Buu Arc in the orignal Japanese when I have to listen to Kouzou Shioya's Mr. Buu and Pure Buu.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)