I want to buy the Manga

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

emperor pilaf

I want to buy the Manga

Post by emperor pilaf » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:46 pm

I want to buy the Manga, but I don't know if I should get the box set with 16 volumes or get the VIZBIG Edition or any other edition that might be better. I want to know if one is less censored or if one has better English dialogue?
Your mom plays Dead space 2.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Re: I want to buy the Manga

Post by TheGreatness25 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:36 pm

Apparently, from what I understand, the Viz volumes have a pretty good translation of the original. I can't speak for the boxed set, but I can speak for the VizBigs. I am very pleased with mine. I got mine at the same time I ordered the original Japanese manga because I wanted to have the uncensored version and that was basically THE perfect release of it. I will say that you might be surprised how uncensored it is. Aside from scenes where females (ONLY females, Goku's wang is totally left in) have their breasts directly exposed, which happens maybe three times in the entire thing (not counting random nudie magazines that are laying around in the manga), everything is pretty much uncut. There are things different (signs, etc.), but it is more uncensored than I ever thought it was. The scene where Bulma flashes Roshi is exactly the same (yeah, her ass is visible) so I don't know, that's really your call. I just know I love my VizBigs... besides the fact that they're too thick and basically unscannable and... the cover unpeels Just a little.

With that being said, I will say this: the language is pretty much left unaltered. There are instances where you read it and you say to yourself, "He meant to say 'damn'," but everything else, so far, seems to be unaltered. Roshi still wants to see Bulma's panties, not her belly button or whatever, and they refer to boobs and whatnot. So the censoring is not as horrific as it could be.

MugiMikey
Beyond Newbie

Post by MugiMikey » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:15 pm

Viz's translation is quite nice if you aren't so uptight about every little thing. It's not perfect but it's still really good.

But if you really want it unedited as possible, just know the VizBigs have more censorship than the earlier volume printings, which were pretty much left unedited for the most part (for volumes 1-16, anyway). But in later printings, they decided to start censoring some material.

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:28 pm

The VizBigs are very nice, although it's a shame they censored a tiny bit more of the start I'd definitely rebuy the first 16 volumes as VizBigs, along with continuing buying Z.

I'm not sure how but the Vizbigs seem to take up less space on shelves than three regular volumes, though it's probably the lack of ads, but I swear the pages are thicker.

The VizBigs are cheaper than the boxsets too, aren't they.

There's something very nice about VizBigs, the covers (not the look of the DB covers though) and the textures of the page, I'll definitely get other long series I've wanted to try before, sometime in the future. I sort of hope stuff like Yu Yu Hakusho and Dr. Slump get VizBigs too.

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:14 pm

I would highly recommend the VizBigs simply because they're such a great value. You don't get the side art, although in all honesty I really could care less. As long as I can read it.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:05 pm

The Time Traveller wrote:The VizBigs are cheaper than the boxsets too, aren't they.
About $10 or so cheaper last time I checked. And that's pretty good considering the much better paper quality and color pages and everything.

Censorship in the old tankobon style volumes was a bit all over the place. If you compare one copy of volume one to a more-or-less identical copy, you might find that one is more edited than the other, so you never really know what you're going to get. It depends on the printing date. The VizBigs might be slightly more censored than the least censored of the old releases, but they're also less censored than the most censored of the old releases. At least they're consistent.

I own the whole series in the old, red/white tankobon sort of editions (most from before the boxsets existed, although I got new copies of 1-6 later that were surprisingly less censored than my previous ones), but I'd probably recommend the VizBigs overall. See more about them here:

http://daizex.fanboyreview.net/viewtopi ... =7&t=11271
http://daizex.fanboyreview.net/viewtopi ... =7&t=15105
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

emperor pilaf

Post by emperor pilaf » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:38 pm

Wow, those threads were really helpful. Thank you everyone for the help, I think I will be getting the VizBigs :mrgreen: .
Your mom plays Dead space 2.

Perfect
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Perfect » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:35 pm

They're fine if you don't mind Popo's lips being censored, various words (Damn, bastard, hell, etc) and instances of nudity being taken out.
Fox666 wrote:It seems you have pissed a lot of people on this forum, and I am quite sure they would like to call you stupid and say that's the designated adjectives for you. But they don't do that because of there are rules in this community.

GotenDaisuki
Regular

Post by GotenDaisuki » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:58 pm

The VizBig releases are the closet you can get to the Japanese Kanzenban. They are excellent releases, but, as Perfect said, there are some instances of censorship, sometimes not as necessary as other censorship.
So mondo lame.