Your Defining Dragon Ball Moment?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MetaMoss
Patreon Supporter

Your Defining Dragon Ball Moment?

Post by MetaMoss » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:24 pm

What moment in the whole Dragon Ball series just defines the rest for you? For me, it was when Goku defeated Piccolo Daimao with that Kamehameha-power blow. That was just awesome. The Ozaru? More awesome.
"Perfect" is the enemy of the good. True for Cell and true for real life.
Don't forget to slow down and enjoy yourself.

kaialone
Regular

Re: Your Defining Dragon Ball Moment?

Post by kaialone » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:36 pm

metamoss wrote:What moment in the whole Dragon Ball series just defines the rest for you? For me, it was when Goku defeated Piccolo Daimao with that Kamehameha-power blow. That was just awesome. The Ozaru? More awesome.
That.That wasthe moment when my 6-year old self realized just what that was that I was watching.Normally I was just watching things without getting a thing.
-凯

Codarik
Advanced Regular

Post by Codarik » Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:03 pm

For me it's when Goku finally arrived to the battlefield, saved Gohan, and saw some of his friends dead. Then took his anger out on Nappa.

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:21 pm

Cell killing 16 and causing Gohan to go SSJ2.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:29 pm

Pokewhiz7 wrote:Cell killing 16 and causing Gohan to go SSJ2.
This.

As I wrote in my Top 15 DB/Z/GT Moments article:
My absolute favorite moment in the Dragon Ball franchise is Gohan's transformation into the second full Super Saiyan form at the Cell Games. Since Gohan first appeared, his hidden potential had always been brought up, and it had always been speculated that he could one day surpass his father. Frustrated at not getting at this power, Cell deployed the Cell Juniors to beat on his father and friends, but Gohan was still holding back. The final straw is Cell's stomping to death of the already disabled Artificial Human #16 who just wanted peace and valued that and nature the way Gohan had. Gohan explodes with rage, accompanied by the song "Unmei no Hi ~Tamashii tai Tamashii~" ("Day of Destiny ~Spirit vs Spirit") sung by Kageyama Hinorobu that echos the importance of that moment: Gohan is finally reaching his potential, and Cell is in for the fight of his life. Ultimately, we know Gohan prevails, but this is the real moment of triumph. The son has surpassed the father.
Last edited by penguintruth on Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:41 am

Same here. That scene always gives me chills.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Booney
Beyond Newbie

Post by Booney » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:11 am

The whole SSJ Goku vs Freeza battle.

Well not exactly the fight between them but rather what went on before.
They had been through all that shit on Earth against the Saiyans and now with all of their power, exhausted, they had finally killed the greatset evil the universe had ever known.
When they thought they had finally killed him with the Genki-dama, only for him to pop back up again and kill Piccolo and Krillin.
The desperation, no way out of it, it was over.
That really got me into it.

Mainly because I was used to happy ending cartoons back then.
To see this happen to characters I had grown to love I was shocked.
A real eye-openener into the real world.

Ofcourse Goku went SSJ and in the end it all did turn out ok, but still, that moment really got me.

I still pains me to see Trunks kill Freeza and his father that easy for that reason.
I mean, it was so disapointing that my favorite moment in the series meant nothing after that, and so fast.
[url=http://superbooney.deviantart.com/]My DeviantART[/url]

Ussj Future Trunks
Regular

Post by Ussj Future Trunks » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:50 pm

Goku becoming SSJ on Namek or Goku vs Tien
Simian upstart...none surpass me. No one even comes close! BURN THIS INTO YOUR MIND! I am emperor of the universe. The likes of you are only fit to grovel at my feet. Or better still...to be crushed...LIKE AN INSECT AT THE WHIM OF YOUR MASTER!

- Freeza, DBZ Kai.

TheLegendary117
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheLegendary117 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:07 pm

Majin Vegeta sacrificing himself to try and kill Majin Buu. To see Vegeta make such a decision was incredible, to see that it did absolutely no good was unreal.
Gamertag: TheLegendary117
Facebook.com/TheLegendary117
Facebook.com/The70MGame

Part Spartan, Part Saiyan

Ketchup_Revenge
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ketchup_Revenge » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:39 pm

The battle against Freeza as a whole. It was the last time in the canon series in which the dragonballs were a major part of the story.
I wipe it off the tile, the light is brighter this time, everything is 3D blasphemy.
My eyes are red and gold, the hair is standing straight up, this is not the way I picture me.
I can't control my shakes, how the hell did I get here? Something about this, so very wrong.
I have to laugh out loud, I wish I didn't like this. Is it a dream or a memory?

Snail
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Snail » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:45 pm

Movie 8.

Prior to the viewing, I had only been exposed to the first 13 episodes of Dragon Ball, so you can imagine my reaction. :lol:

KKZ
Beyond Newbie

Post by KKZ » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:42 pm

Can I say the entirety of Movie 9? I guess I'll label that as the Definitive Dragon Ball Experience! 8)

If I had to pick just one moment, I'd probably have to go with SSJ2 Gohan finally defeating Perfect Cell. Goku's Instant Transmission Kamehameha against Cell, Goku's SSJ Transformation in Movie 5, Piccolo fusing with Kami, Majin Vegeta sacrificing himself against Majin Buu, Mystic Gohan handing Super Buu his ass, and Tenshinhan holding off Imperfect Cell with multiple Kikoho blasts are also big favorites of mine.
[quote="temujin"]Krillin,the guy is just a ridiculous midget without nose.Seriously, he looks like some kind of bizarre monster. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Krillin's head is also pretty big like a balloon. :lol: :lol: :lol:[/quote][quote="Thanos"]Eh... it gets kinda old hearing elitists say things like "IT SHOULD HAVE ENDED WHEN GOKU MET BULMA"[/quote]

Zionist
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zionist » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:59 pm

Pokewhiz7 wrote:Cell killing 16 and causing Gohan to go SSJ2.
Likewise
Rocketman wrote:Who gives a shit about a Broly fan's feelings.
Zoms wrote:That moment when you relate your ship to glass tubes...

TheLegendary117
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheLegendary117 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:18 pm

One of my favorites was the scene where Vegeta goes berserk on Cell once he kills Trunks. Seeing that for the first time got me all wound up, I still do. Giving everything he's got to try and avenge his son only to get completely f***ed up
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRKNBD_-jrc
Gamertag: TheLegendary117
Facebook.com/TheLegendary117
Facebook.com/The70MGame

Part Spartan, Part Saiyan

Ahiru77
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ahiru77 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:36 pm

Booney wrote:The whole SSJ Goku vs Freeza battle.

Well not exactly the fight between them but rather what went on before.
They had been through all that shit on Earth against the Saiyans and now with all of their power, exhausted, they had finally killed the greatset evil the universe had ever known.
When they thought they had finally killed him with the Genki-dama, only for him to pop back up again and kill Piccolo and Krillin.
The desperation, no way out of it, it was over.
That really got me into it.

Mainly because I was used to happy ending cartoons back then.
To see this happen to characters I had grown to love I was shocked.
A real eye-openener into the real world.

Ofcourse Goku went SSJ and in the end it all did turn out ok, but still, that moment really got me.

I still pains me to see Trunks kill Freeza and his father that easy for that reason.
I mean, it was so disapointing that my favorite moment in the series meant nothing after that, and so fast.
My defining moment ruins your defining moment ?!

This show is tearing me apart! :<

Well atleast the popularity poll clearly shows that Goku vs Freeza didn't mean nothing.......at all.

songohan619
Patreon Supporter

Post by songohan619 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:51 pm

My moment is after Cell finally is defeated, with everyone happy, including Goku, even though he`s dead.

Jackal puFF
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Jackal puFF » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:16 pm

Mine would have to be Goku's classic beam struggle with Vegeta. Everything was epic about it. Yajirobe slicing Vegeta's back was nice too!

Another one would be the Spirit Bomb used on Buu and of course the Kamehameha that killed Cell. :wink:

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:21 pm

An exhausted Piccolo who just wasted a huge amount of power nuking the Budokai swatting the fresh 'n rested supporting cast away with one hand because ~GOKU~ is the ~ONLY ONE~ who can do anything.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:32 pm

Dragonball has two defining moments for me.

1. Goku sacrificing himself to defeat Raditz. Basically the entire fight vs. Raditz but particuallry that scene where he gets pierced by the Piccolo's attack while holding Raditz.

2. Goku turning SSJ. It's not necessarily one of my favorite scenes but I consider it almost symbolic for DB and it sorta defines what the show/story became later on. As much as I hate the fact that the saiyans took over the show via SSJ transformations, I can't help but admit the SSJ appearance is one of the most well recognized desings in the anime industry and international media in general.

Scarz
I Live Here

Post by Scarz » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:58 pm

When Goku becomes a SSJ for the first time. I remember watching it on a bootleg video and even though I was somewhat of DB fan it was that episode that made love the series.