Dragon Ball SD 2

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Re: Dragon Ball SD 2

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:39 pm

It's out already :shock:!? Send me a link as well since I plan to read it after I come home from Dinner.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Sshadow5001
Advanced Regular

Post by Sshadow5001 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:51 pm

Just google it :roll:
Please check out my Youtube channel GLEclipseGaming
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8otmN ... FvDYiaKt9w

Currently Playing
Gundam Breaker 3

Chibi Gohan
Regular

Post by Chibi Gohan » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:52 pm

VegettoEX wrote:Guys 'n gals, it takes all of half-a-second to find with the most obvious of Google queries. Seriously. C'mon. Internet. Learn it.

Once again, I won't speak to whatever translations are out there until I'm holding the actual "Saikyou Jump" in my hands...
Choice195 wrote:Someone please send me the link to this! :shock:
Hellspawn28 wrote:It's out already :shock:!? Send me a link as well since I plan to read it after I come home from Dinner.
LOL.....

Guide to searching the Internet!

1. Go to Google or some other search engine.
2. Type in what you're looking for on the search bar on that search engine.
3. Look at the search results. If you type in what you're looking for properly then it will normally be on the first page of results.
*Remember this for future reference for whenever you need to find something on the Internet.*
I have a Dragon Ball collection of sorts which can be seen here.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:14 pm

VegettoEX wrote:Guys 'n gals, it takes all of half-a-second to find with the most obvious of Google queries. Seriously. C'mon. Internet. Learn it.
Without breaking any rules, I'll even lessen the work a bit for those who are slightly more inept. (It isn't a link to the chapter though.) Here
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:19 pm

Pretty much meh. Art style's OK, I guess. The story's an even more "meh" rehash of the original, although rushed. Unfortunately, I didn't get to see a candy pinata Kuririn getting blown up...instead, we had Goku transform into a SSj from Vegeta's "death", which was mildly funny. But I understand this was made for kids, so I can't have my expectations set too high.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Scarz
I Live Here

Post by Scarz » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:52 pm

Piccolo Daimao wrote: Unfortunately, I didn't get to see a candy pinata Kuririn getting blown up...instead, we had Goku transform into a SSj from Vegeta's "death", which was mildly funny. But I understand this was made for kids, so I can't have my expectations set too high.
Yeah I was kind looking forward to that too. But whatcha gonna do?

Overall, I thought the comic was cute. It was definitely better than the first one when it comes to action and humor (Vegeta's death made me laugh very hard) and I can't wait for DB SD 3, Goku vs. Buu starring Mr. Satan. Oh com'on, you know it's going to happen.

PuppetDoctor
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PuppetDoctor » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:01 pm

It seems like I am in the minority here but I preferred the first comic better then this one. I found it to be rushed and not very entertaining. I wish that it just wasn't a re-hash again and was a fresh story. The only positive thing I enjoyed about it was the color pages.

Arique
Beyond Newbie

Post by Arique » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:43 am

I have to agree with PuppetDoctor on this one. It felt very rushed and not entertaining at all. Probably because in DBZ, it went with the pattern that Goku arrives, Vegeta is killed/knocked into a coma by Freeza, Goku attacks Freeza, Krillin gets blown up by Freeza, Goku goes into SSJ form, and all hell breaks lose, leading into Goku defeating Freeza and escaping Namek in the process. While here in DBSD, it goes through the pattern that I think WWE personified very well: "Arrive, Raise Hell, Leave." Here, Goku arrives, Vegeta is killed by Freeza, Goku goes SSJ, defeats Freeza with one single Kamehameha, and Namek is safe. Too rushed, cuts out nearly half of the battle, and just wasn't fun to read, unlike the first chapter of DBSD, which I thought was awesome!

Also, the next chapter is going to be based on the Boo arc? Why? I'm guessing they don't want to do the Cell arc due to Gohan defeating Cell instead of Goku defeating him?
Forum quote of the moment:
Castor Troy wrote:You're all doing it wrong.

DBZ bootlegs have the movie 9 cover with the pioneer movie 2 description on the back and the disc actually has a Japanese soap opera in MEPG2. :roll:

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:01 pm

Do we even know what the next chapter's going to be based on? The first one was Goku and Kuririn's training under Kame-sennin, the second one was Goku's battle with Freeza on Namek, the third one may or may not be based on either the Cell arc or the Boo arc?
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Hao_Kaiser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Hao_Kaiser » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:58 pm

Piccolo Daimao wrote:Do we even know what the next chapter's going to be based on? The first one was Goku and Kuririn's training under Kame-sennin, the second one was Goku's battle with Freeza on Namek, the third one may or may not be based on either the Cell arc or the Boo arc?
I think they may be basing that assumption on the Buu-centric Dragon Ball Heroes advertisement that follows the second chapter.

Y'know. Because logic. I guess. :P
[quote="Kunzait_83, on FUNimation's dub of [i]Dragon Ball Z[/i]"]"ACTION!!! EXTREME!!! AMERICAN!!!! PUNCHES TO THE HEAD!!! FUCK YEAH!!!"[/quote]
On [url=http://twitter.com/joey_blanton]my Twitter[/url], postin' some mad tweets.

Bura
Advanced Regular

Post by Bura » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:07 am

DragonBall SD is great if you thought DragonBall Kai wasn't fast enough.

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:37 am

I didn't like this one that much, wasn't cute or funny...

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:09 am

Rock lee's springtime of youth 3 was amazing. It was truly funny and entertaining.

I don't get why Dragon Ball SD falls so short compared to Rock lee's springtime of youth... Its not like it doesn't have the same potential (or even more potential) than Rock lee's springtime of youth to be truly funny and entertaining...

Tweaker
Regular

Post by Tweaker » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:00 pm

From the other thread (seriously, why are we not just talking about it in there?):
I like how the story was changed to be a lot more straightforward. It's sort of weird at this point that Goku would be angered to the point of transformation over Vegeta's death, but it works just as well and skips a lot of the annoying bullshit that was that particular point in the series. Much better than the planet blowing up in "5 minutes" (ugh).
I'm surprised more of you guys don't like this. It was said from the start that this miniseries would retell important segments from the story in a different way. Were you really expecting more? Personally, I'd like if it focused more on stories from the original Dragon Ball, but I'm not going to die if it explores a bit of Z while it's at it.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:37 pm

Tweaker wrote:I'm surprised more of you guys don't like this. It was said from the start that this miniseries would retell important segments from the story in a different way. Were you really expecting more? Personally, I'd like if it focused more on stories from the original Dragon Ball, but I'm not going to die if it explores a bit of Z while it's at it.
It tries to be cute, serious and funny at the same time, without being great at neither (except maybe at cuteness).

Since the cute factor is already present, it would do far better if it tried to just be cute and funny, instead of somewhat serious.

Rock lee's springtime of youth is awesome because it does just that. Its VERY funny and cute and it doesn't try to be serious at all. SD tries to do all three and somewhat fails at being great, instead of just trying to make its humor better.

Retelling segments of the story doesn't help very much because its pretty much nothing new and it forces SD to try to be a lot more serious than it probably should.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:48 pm

Also, the author of Rock Lee doesn't need to worry about coloring/shading the pages so he or she has a lot more time to devote to working out the story; the series has over twice as many pages per chapter as DB SD and I think the regular black and white pages is why.

As much as I like seeing DB manga in full color (and the colors and shading do look really nice), I wouldn't mind forgoing it to have a longer chapter that doesn't feel as rushed in terms of storyline.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!