Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:54 pm

Last edited by AnimeMaakuo on Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:22 am, edited 3 times in total.
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Re: U.S Dragon Box & Japanese Dragon Box picture comparison.

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:59 pm

Insert "there's a site too" joke here.

http://www.daizex.com/general/reviews/d ... bz_1.shtml

Maybe it's just me but, I don't think it's worth pointing out.
Last edited by Tanooki Kuribo on Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:01 am

The US Dragon Boxes also have a slightly lower bit rate just because they added a dub track.

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:02 am

Last edited by AnimeMaakuo on Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:13 am

Pokewhiz7 wrote:The US Dragon Boxes also have a slightly lower bit rate just because they added a dub track.
...and because they have 1 episode more per disc than the Japanese sets.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Zestanor
Regular

Post by Zestanor » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:49 am

But we've seen that Toei's DVD encoders hadn't the slightest clue of what they were doing, because they encoded the video and audio at the max bit-rate possible. (448kbps for mono? come on!) Any degradation of video and audio quality came from the transfer on digibetas (that's how it was transferred, right?), not from lowered bit-rate. And the degradation is almost nonexistent. There are a few instances when you can see that the R2s are a tiny hair (literally, you can only tell the difference on very fine hairs) sharper.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:28 am

Zestanor wrote:...because they encoded the video and audio at the max bit-rate possible.
That's not a bad thing. If you have the space, you might as well use it.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

KiddoCabbusses
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KiddoCabbusses » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:12 pm

Puto wrote:
Zestanor wrote:...because they encoded the video and audio at the max bit-rate possible.
For video, I can understand.

For their crummy audio masters, though? They didn't have to be FAUX-STEREO. That was entirely a waste of disc space.

Krycek7o2
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Krycek7o2 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:18 pm

KiddoCabbusses wrote:
Puto wrote:
For video, I can understand.

For their crummy audio masters, though? They didn't have to be FAUX-STEREO. That was entirely a waste of disc space.
Calm down, its just a cartoon in the end. Toei and Pony wanted near lossless audio on their discs. I much prefer that than the dub on the American sets.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:28 pm

There's no need to tell someone to "calm down". I don't see exaggerated posts in all-caps with plots for mass destruction.

"Calm down, it's just a cartoon" is likely the most bullshit response to anything ever. Yeah, we could say that in response to just about any conversation on this entire forum... but why would we? We're all here to have a good time with the series and analyze every little nook and cranny of it.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

KiddoCabbusses
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KiddoCabbusses » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:14 pm

Krycek7o2 wrote: Calm down, its just a cartoon in the end. Toei and Pony wanted near lossless audio on their discs. I much prefer that than the dub on the American sets.
(I'm not necessarily flipping out or anything; I just tend to use caps to empathize a point. But yeah, on to the actual reply)

If Toei wanted lossless audio, they would've had better audio masters. Zing-a-ding! :P
And besides that point, that doesn't explain the faux-stereo; does that do anything at all for the audio besides redundancy? While I don't have any JP DBoxes, I have heard that the US DBoxes JP Mono track doesn't sound much different quality-wise from the JP ones, and yet uses up a lot less space simply because it's true mono, rather than the faux-stereo the JP DBoxes have.

GizmoKSX
Beyond Newbie

Post by GizmoKSX » Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:57 am

As long as the constant bit rate audio wasn't getting in the way of the variable bit rate video (and seeing as the Dragon Boxes are lauded for great video quality, I'd say it wasn't), there's no harm in maxing it out. As for the US release, assuming a decent encoder, 96 kbps is fine for mono. It would have been nice if it was mastered just a little bit louder, but it's a very minor inconvenience to turn the volume up a tad for Dragon Boxes. It's interesting to note, but it's no problem in either case.

As for picture comparison, when the third FUNi DBox was released, Metalwario64 found macroblocking in fast-paced scenes in the SSJ Goku vs. Freeza fight: http://daizex.fanboyreview.net/viewtopi ... &start=221
Whereas the shot of Nappa in the first set was macroblocked in both R1 and R2 sets, Krycek7o2 confirmed that the distortion was less prominent or nonexistant in the Japanese sets, depending on the shots: http://daizex.fanboyreview.net/viewtopi ... &start=435 (The latter screencaps aren't available anymore, so either take our discussion as proof or have someone reupload those shots from the Japanese DBox.)
I can see their parachutes.

Zestanor
Regular

Post by Zestanor » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:02 am

GizmoKSX wrote:...Metalwario64 found macroblocking in fast-paced scenes in the SSJ Goku vs. Freeza fight: http://daizex.fanboyreview.net/viewtopi ... &start=221... Krycek7o2 confirmed that the distortion was less prominent or nonexistent in the Japanese sets, depending on the shots: http://daizex.fanboyreview.net/viewtopi ... &start=435...
You know, yesterday I had the urge to watch the episodes where Shen Long and Polunga do their thing and revive and teleport everyone to earth. Episode 102 was on this set. I had not read your post when I watched it, and therefore was not looking for macro-blocking during that scene. And I was watching on my computer too, so any errors should have been more obvious. I did not notice it in this case. I guess that goes to show that it was onscreen for such a short time (3-4 frames is an 8th to a 6th of a second.) Or maybe I wasn't paying attention enough, because the entire 5 minute battle is made up of similar flying-punching scenes.

If you were to freeze-frame on that frame on a CRT set, would the macro-blocking be noticeable?

GizmoKSX
Beyond Newbie

Post by GizmoKSX » Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:41 am

It is noticeable on a CRT set (which is how I was watching the show when I found that Nappa shot from the first set), but it flies by very quickly. Unlike that still-frame Nappa shot—where it's obvious when the picture breaks up—it's less jarring during the fast-paced action of the Goku vs. Freeza fight, so it's understandable (and ideal for normal viewing) that you'd miss if you weren't looking for it.
I can see their parachutes.