Dragon Ball Z Kai - Interested in a possible Buu Saga cut?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Dragon Ball Z Kai - Interested in a possible Buu Saga cut?

Post by Fionordequester » Mon May 09, 2011 7:59 pm

The topic in question is, I've been toying with the idea of a possible Buu Saga cut of DBZ. I mean, now that Kenji Yamamoto isn't even the musician anymore, the only real difference is the performance of the voice actors, right? Well, actually, we'll be missing some reanimation here and there to, but so what?

Anyways, if I did decide to try to do this (I would of course have to consider whether I actually have enough interest), I have a question. Would you want me to use the Original Soundtrack, or Bruce Faulconer's soundtrack mixed in with some scenes of the Remastered version that have silence in them (to correct one of the major problems the FUNI version had, lack of silence)?

What do you guys think?
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

Savage68
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Dragon Ball Z Kai - Interested in a possible Buu Saga cu

Post by Savage68 » Mon May 09, 2011 8:17 pm

Well, I "toyed" with the idea of starting my own Kai-fied version of the Boo arc too. For about 5 seconds. There'd be no way to cut the anime (this was one of the main gripes I had with Kai in the first place), remove all BGM, and replace the BGM respectfully. All on a cohesive and, at least somewhat, convenient schedule. But I knew that if I did do it, it would be as close to the original version as possible. FUNi's old music should be out of the question.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Mon May 09, 2011 8:39 pm

Well I never planned on replacing the original background music and replacing it with my own. I'd have to actually have some sort of musical training to do that.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon May 09, 2011 9:04 pm

Original soundtrack well placed.

Savage68
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Savage68 » Mon May 09, 2011 9:09 pm

Fionordequester wrote:Well I never planned on replacing the original background music and replacing it with my own. I'd have to actually have some sort of musical training to do that.
Wait... so you're talking about cutting around scenes with the original music placement still intact? That's going to result in some pretty jarring sound displacements, even factoring in that the original soundtrack actually ends every now and then. I tried this years ago using Gohan vs. Cell as a template and the end result was horrible. And I'm no video-editing luminary, but I think if you're aiming for "better pacing," you're still going to run into those same problems that I did. Unless you're just going to leave the scenes with music going in the background playing until they come to an end, but that'll be more counter-productive than anything, I think.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Mon May 09, 2011 9:21 pm

I suppose I may run into that problem. But I'm sure that won't always be the case, and if it is, I'll just have to learn to rip out the music in those troublesome spots. I mean, if CoyCoy88 can learn to rip dialouge out of a scene, surely the same can be done to the music?

Also, I fully realize the absurd amount of effort something like this could take. But, I'd still sort of like to at least give it a try. As I said, I've always wanted to learn the skills needed to do this sort of thing anyways.

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Mon May 09, 2011 10:46 pm

Someone else is trying this too:
http://daizex.fanboyreview.net/viewtopi ... =6&t=16479

Not sure on how the progress is going.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Mon May 09, 2011 10:47 pm

Fionordequester wrote: What do you guys think?
I think it's a horrible idea...

I don't think anyone would watch a version of the Boo arc that is basically a cut up version of the FUNimation dub. I don't say that because I'm bashing the FUNi dub, I'm saying it because it's not a new FUNi dub. The whole idea of DBK was to have a new refreshed version of the show and FUNimation did that when they released DBZK. Just chopping up the already existing FUNi dub probably isn't a great idea. Sure, mix the music up a bit, I still don't think it helps.

But hey, maybe that's just me. You could always just do two or three episodes, see how it goes, see the feedback you get and go from there.

Coycoy88
Beyond Newbie

Post by Coycoy88 » Wed May 11, 2011 1:23 pm

Fionordequester wrote:I mean, if CoyCoy88 can learn to rip dialouge out of a scene, surely the same can be done to the music?
It doesn't really work like that (At least, it doesnt work on the the Funi English dub audio track) The sound layer that the sfx and vocals are on are not devoid of music. That's why when I rip a song, 90% of the time at least a couple of insturments sound weak are even cut out completely because those instruments are on the vocals/sfx layer.
My Youtube account (Coycoy88)

I primarily rip and upload unreleased Faulconer Productions music, as well as some other American dub music.