FUNimation DBZ TV Blu-ray Official On-Going Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

thedarkuniter
Beyond Newbie

Re: FUNimation to put DBZ on Blu-Ray

Post by thedarkuniter » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:00 pm

I like the look for both the Dragon Boxes and Dragon Ball Z Kai equally. Like you guys mentioned, the Dragon Boxes have a totally old school, cell animation look like Fist of the North Star, however looks very sharp. Dragon Ball Z Kai looks to me for the regular Z footage portions, they've used the Dragon Box footage however rescan it in 2K and correct it to make it more modern. However, the 35mm episodes for Z looks a lot better than the Dragon Boxes of those episodes. If the remastering is anything like that, people would be totally all over the releases but I doubt it since its the same colorist from the season sets. Not only that, but did Toei Animation even scan the footage in 1080p or was it just 480p?
My Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/TP2O

Mountain
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mountain » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:02 pm

Hujio wrote:Well, if you're aware of that fact, then why'd you say it wasn't scanned in high-definition?
What? I didn't. You misread me. Perhaps, I should have said that "in addition to being scanned in HD, I'd much prefer the grain structure to be left intact." Sorry for the confusion...
kei17 wrote:
Mountain wrote:Kai is obviously available for me to judge, and, although it looks great, the DBOX footage is just more to my liking. It was shot on film, after all. I'm not always on-board with digital cleanups.
I have finally understood your thoughts; you prefer an almost untouched scan (scratch removals only) of film over some heavily restored stuff. So I think you will like the Blu-ray release of Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind.
Precisely. I need to pick that one up. I have, somewhat, fallen behind on my Miyazaki Blu-ray collection, but I'm a big fan! =)

I'm sorry if I was the one who caused everyone to go off-topic. Anyways... :arrow:

I can't particularly judge FUNi's DBZ Blu-ray release, because the details are largely unknown. The thing that concerns me, though, is just how far FUNi has come as a company. I hope they don't revert back to bad practices, while I do hope they please everyone (dub/sub fans, alike). We'll see...

www.KristaMichaels.com

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:06 pm

JulieYBM wrote:
LeprikanGT wrote:How many 21 minutes episodes can fit on one Bluray?
FUNi typically fits nine episodes on a Blu-ray, so that's probably as far as they're ever willing to go.
Yu Yu Hakusho had ten per disc.
EDIT: On the first disc, otherwise nine.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:54 pm

Pokewhiz7 wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:
FUNi typically fits nine episodes on a Blu-ray, so that's probably as far as they're ever willing to go.
Ack, well, there you go. Then again, they also managed to fit eight episodes on a disc for their DVD season sets so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Budogenkai
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Budogenkai » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:47 pm

Oh look, FUNi trying to milk the series more, nothing to see here.
PSN: Genkaidomo
360: Bhuda64

http://www.youtube.com/BurritoNchips

anyone know where I can get a good cheap mic?

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:19 pm

Being a huge fan of having all of my favorite movies and series in as many formats as possible, I'm inevitably going to pick these up even if they are just the 1080p versions of what they downscaled for the Season Sets. Having both versions of the dub in 5.1 is a justifiable enough reason to get these, just gives me more material to piece together my own personal version of the series! :D

What I'm most interested in is the possibility of a re-dub. Would it be at all possible for FUNimation to splice dialogue recorded for Kai into a re-dub of Z and fill in the blanks for whatever isn't in Kai? I'd be all over a release like that. Sadly, I doubt that's the route FUNimation is taking...
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:24 pm

Pokewhiz7 wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:
I meant IN GENERAL, how much room is on a Bluray disc if you were going to be putting 21 minute episodes of anything on it?

piccolo-san785
Beyond Newbie

Post by piccolo-san785 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:30 pm

Gotham22 wrote:FUNimation sure likes to rerelease the series over and over.
Agree with you 100%. Hey FUNimation cut that shit out already. How any times can you re-release that same product. DBZ in HD, not really necessary in my opinion, Just give DBoxes of DB and GT and I'm good.

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:46 pm

piccolo-san785 wrote:Hey FUNimation cut that shit out already. How many times can you re-release that same product.
As long as they keep selling.
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

Zestanor
Regular

Post by Zestanor » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:49 pm

LeprikanGT wrote:I meant IN GENERAL, how much room is on a Bluray disc if you were going to be putting 21 minute episodes of anything on it?
Funi is probably using dual layered BDs, so here goes:
40Mbps is allowed for video, and 8Mbps for audio, and you have 50 Gigabytes to fill up. 48Mbps = 6MBps. If at max bitrate can have 1 second for 6MB, then at max bitrate you can have 8333 seconds for 50GB. 8333 seconds is 2 hours and 18 minutes. So at the very max bitrate, you could still fit 6 episodes. Now I don't know much about H.264, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't need 40Mbps to perform well. A 17 episode set will probably have two discs, 9 episodes on one, and 8 episodes on the other.

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:40 pm

Zestanor wrote:
LeprikanGT wrote:I meant IN GENERAL, how much room is on a Bluray disc if you were going to be putting 21 minute episodes of anything on it?
Funi is probably using dual layered BDs, so here goes:
40Mbps is allowed for video, and 8Mbps for audio, and you have 50 Gigabytes to fill up. 48Mbps = 6MBps. If at max bitrate can have 1 second for 6MB, then at max bitrate you can have 8333 seconds for 50GB. 8333 seconds is 2 hours and 18 minutes. So at the very max bitrate, you could still fit 6 episodes. Now I don't know much about H.264, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't need 40Mbps to perform well. A 17 episode set will probably have two discs, 9 episodes on one, and 8 episodes on the other.
I won't double check those numbers, but they generally sound correct.

And yes, H.264 is very scalable, you certainly don't need the full bitrate to make it look damn near perfect.

As an example. A few years ago Warner Bros did a Green Lantern DTV called First Flight. The movie was 77 minutes long, and the 1080p Blu-ray encode was pristine. It was less than 11.5 gigs.

Using those numbers that equates to more than 5 hours without 'squeezing' anything on a dual layer BD.

DBZ on BD will visually more be a limit of how Funi's filmstock looks, not what BD can handle with episode numbers.
Visit The Fanboy Review for anime reviews.

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:56 pm

I already hate myself because I know I'll be buying these.

Highly interested in the packaging, since I'm sure they will be visually different than the brick sets, Dboxes and Kai, but will be the same size as the Kai discs.

They should add BOTH music tracks to give everyone an option.

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:01 pm

So it's finally happening... DBZ in Blu-Ray...

Last edited by SHINOBI-03 on Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:01 pm

I'll wait and see what it looks like before even bothering, but I think popping the Dragon Boxes into a system that can upscale (My laptop can, as can the PS3) will be the best quality version of the show possible.
"FUNi should take [DBZ] out behind the woodshed, give it one last treat, then blow its f%#@$ng brains out before it attacks the baby again." ~Rocketman

Choujin Daizenshuu
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Choujin Daizenshuu » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:08 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: are you purposefully misremembering those arguments? The people who wanted the dub score on the DBoxes also wanted it because they wanted to enjoy the dub score with the best looking video, not because they just thought it should be there. C'mon, man, don't be like that. :?
What intended audience was the release aimed for?

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:11 pm

Choujin Daizenshuu wrote:
jjgp1112 wrote: are you purposefully misremembering those arguments? The people who wanted the dub score on the DBoxes also wanted it because they wanted to enjoy the dub score with the best looking video, not because they just thought it should be there. C'mon, man, don't be like that. :?
What intended audience was the release aimed for?
That's neither here nor there. I'm just saying what the arguments of the people who wanted the dub on the box were, not your misrepresentation.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Rukura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Rukura » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:17 pm

Here's what i would hope this would be:
- Dragon Box
- All musical scores with option for cross-mixing japanese voices and english scores (all the possible flavors for all the different tastes)

I mention Dragon Box, because (and correct me if i'm wrong) isn't Steve Franko and Video Post and Transfer credited on the Dragon Boxes Z (despite having nothing to do with them)?

Either way, not getting them. I'm rocking the Region B.

(Is there a way for a dude in Europe to buy Funimation's Dragon Boxes? Besides Amazon and/or Ebay since i don't have credit card availability?)

I'm pissed at this release, i'll be honest. Not because it's doomed to be terrible already (even though it might be close to it) but because while they're working on a 4th release of Z to put out with the other 3 still there.....and Dragon Ball and GT get the silent treatment....
Full checklist of all Xenoverse clothing pieces, accessories and Z-Souls (Many thanks to jrdemr for the Z-Souls sheet): https://www.dropbox.com/s/u8vxc8m0fehev ... .xlsx?dl=0

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:21 pm

Cross-mixing Japanese voices with English scores is probably impossible. Steve Franko was in the credits on the DBoxes, but that's because they copy & pasted the credits from the Season sets.
Cold World (Fanfic)

Rukura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Rukura » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:32 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:Cross-mixing Japanese voices with English scores is probably impossible. Steve Franko was in the credits on the DBoxes, but that's because they copy & pasted the credits from the Season sets.
Since it's on Blu-ray, and i can be wrong here, i think they could actually do it here. (...right?)

I know, that's what i mean. Since they've kept using those names with everything that had "remastering" in the advertising, there'd still be a change for this release to be Dragon Box masters related without them being involved.

I'd just hate to see Funimation take it several steps down at once with a Dragon Ball product by going back to the orange bricks' remasterings after releasing the Z Boxes...

Also, is the "Level 1.1" just them realizing that the 9 season sets didn't add up to any possible season number? :lol:
I'm guessing they'll just use the first number as season and the second number as part (season 1 part 1)
Full checklist of all Xenoverse clothing pieces, accessories and Z-Souls (Many thanks to jrdemr for the Z-Souls sheet): https://www.dropbox.com/s/u8vxc8m0fehev ... .xlsx?dl=0

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:34 pm

The Blu-Ray format has nothing to do with it. FUNi likely can't tinker with the Japanese audio tracks they have. The music, sound effects, etc are already mixed in, so they can't take it out. Plus, what audience is there for that? I think I can count on one hand the number of people who would actually even want to see something like that.
Cold World (Fanfic)